January 2014 Transfer news & rumours

Glasgow_Saint

Can't help thinking that seeming as Chelsea want Shaw so badly, we are in a great position to take some of their players...

How does this sound -

Luke Shaw plus £5mill for Kevin De Bruyne and Demba Ba

Ba would be fantastic at Saints and give us the pace and finishing we need up top...always causes us problems. De Bruyne is a top quality attacking midfielder who can play anywhere in midfield and is a playmaker...obviously makes far too much sense so won't happen but just putting it out there

Richards and De Bruyne would tempt me, but not sure we like to sign players who have already played elsewhere in the prem. Also coming from City and Chelsea respectively they'd be on high wages already.

Jovetic would also be tempting if he's not injured too long as a loan deal for the rest of the season to give us an alternative up top - not going to play for City much.

He's not. Pelligrini has said so today and said he's been left out because he needs 'to do more'.

Well ok, he has only recently come back then. Though I agree he would be a good signing he would also be expensive, high wages and we could do with a CB that can play LB if he had to.

Thats all IMO anyway

Jovetic would also be tempting if he's not injured too long as a loan deal for the rest of the season to give us an alternative up top - not going to play for City much.

They were saying during one of Man City's last TV Games the physio's first thought he had a knee injury, then they thought it was something else, now they have no idea whats up with him and think its a mental/confidence issue.

Sad really for such a talent player!

if we were selling shaw, I would rather take cash without any player swaps. we are definitely going to need the money to bring in a replacement of the same level. only once we secured a replacement then do we think about using any excess money, if any. no point having de bruyne in attack when we have fox as our first choice lb.

No doubt, I wouldn't particularly care about losing Shaw, I'd only be worried about the effect it may have on the other youngsters from breaking up the group.

This.

We need to set a precedent with Shaw really as a statement we're serious about developing good players for our squad.

This.

We need to set a precedent with Shaw really as a statement we're serious about developing good players for our squad.

I'd like to agree but seeing how Theo and Ox have fared I think we'd do well to cash in on fragile Shaw before he gets crippled permanently and no longer worth anything. Compare the young Wayne Bridge in the Premiership and Shaw today in the Premier League. Bridge was never injured.

Legs have gone and injury prone....no thanks[/quote)

this is typical of the footballing notion that we should spend big money to sign someone who was once a classy name-player...at sometime in the past..but is now simply past it.

and often someone who had one moment of fame (like maybe scoring a goal in an FA Cup Final).. but seldom managed to re-capture one iota of their former glory when playing for us...the list is endless.

...Frank Saul, Charlie George, Jim McCalliog, Frank Worthington, Joe Jordan, Kerry Dixon, David Speedie, Alan McLoughlin, Barry Horne, Dan Petrescu, Andrei Kanchelkis, Augustin Delgado..shall I go on?

I've watched Vidic (in a few of his rare games for MU).. alongside Rio Ferdinand and the thought of having either of them in our back-line.... restores my faith in Jos Hooiveld :lol:!

Thanks ..but no thanks.

Edited by david in sweden

Legs have gone and injury prone....no thanks[/quote)

this is typical of the footballing notion that we should spend big money to sign someone who once wasa classy name-player...at sometime in the past..but is now simply past it.

and often someone who had one moment of fame (like scoring a goal in an FA Cup Final).. but seldom managed to re-capture one iota of their former glory when playing for us...the list is endless.......

...Frank Saul, Charlie George, Jim McCalliog, Frank Worthington, Joe Jordan, Kerry Dixon, David Speedie, Alan McLoughlin, Barry Horne, Dan Petrescu, Andrei Kanchelkis,Augustin Delgado..shall I go on?

Bit unfair on Jim McCalliog perhaps ? If only for one free kick, and a lofted pass to Bobby Stokes.

And scoring twice in the cup repay at Villa Park.

Probably in a minority of 1 but, yes please.

http://soccersweep.com/southampton-shortest-odds-to-sign-nathan-dyer-despite-injury/?

Pochettino will certainly look to strengthen Southampton in January and in a rather unlikely link, bookmaker SkyBet have got Southampton as favourites to sign old boy Nathan Dyer, despite his recent ankle injury.

I agree with the point, but some of the names quoted on the list were actually very successful for us.

In 83/84 Frank Worthington played an integral role in the best season I or any other Saints supporter is likely to see. I wouldn't call that a failure. Joe Jordan scored 17 goals in 61 games and led the line brilliantly in 84/85 when we qualified for Europe. Horne was an important member of the side in the late 80s playing 148 games. Petrescu had an amazing record when he first joined us - we won five in a row and he scored the winner twice - it just went wrong when Hoddle, who had signed him, moved on.

Not so badly injured to stop him viewing houses though!

How badly injured would you have to be to not be able to view a house? Even if he had to be pushed about in a wheelchair or hobble about on crutches he could still look at buying a house surely. Most footballing injuries don't prevent you living a reasonably normal life.

How badly injured would you have to be to not be able to view a house? Even if he had to be pushed about in a wheelchair or hobble about on crutches he could still look at buying a house surely. Most footballing injuries don't prevent you living a reasonably normal life.

Would you sign him in that condition?