Dani Osvaldo

Glasgow_Saint

You have to compare him to j rod and I would take J rod over Osvaldo every time at the moment not everything worked for. him yesterday but he put in hell of a shift closing down players yesterday and was always looking to create something whereas Osvaldo looked like the type of player that only bothers playing when things are going his way he doesn't seem to want to make any effort unless he's received that perfect pass and when he's got the ball he's far more interested in silly tippy tappy showboating himself than passing to a team mate!!

The guy is talented not many are saying he isn't but he's. clearly not the right player for saints in terms of attitude and work ethic whether mp can change that remains to be seen but he couldn't with Gaston so it looks doubtful. I can honestly see him moving on in January which will suit both parties

You have to compare him to j rod and I would take J rod over Osvaldo every time at the moment not everything worked for. him yesterday but he put in hell of a shift closing down players yesterday and was always looking to create something whereas Osvaldo looked like the type of player that only bothers playing when things are going his way he doesn't seem to want to make any effort unless he's received that perfect pass and when he's got the ball he's far more interested in silly tippy tappy showboating himself than passing to a team mate!!

The guy is talented not many are saying he isn't but he's. clearly not the right player for saints in terms of attitude and work ethic whether mp can change that remains to be seen but he couldn't with Gaston so it looks doubtful. I can honestly see him moving on in January which will suit both parties

MP has managed him before so clearly would know all about his attitude and work ethic before he joined, are you saying to don't back the managers judgement?

While not the same words obviously, but I do recall many comments like this last season.

About JRod.

The closing down yesterday was not done as a GROUP - now maybe that means that SRL is the "Leader" who starts that process off - (Read the Morgan Interview for how that works).

Then yesterday whilst JWP put in a great running around shift, his crossing/timing/longer balls were "not as good as usual"

Add in the fact that Chelsea defended quite deep and VW & MS did not get as far forward in the second half and we then see Osvaldo either having to drop deep for the ball or trying to out jump Terry & Cahill for longer balls played into him.

I think that in the games when we get more possession higher up the field and ping the ball around the penalty area the close flicks & nudges of his play would be more useful. Yesterday he was up against the two strongest CB's in the PL. While he had the pace to cause them problems Chelsea blocked us out so well.

My "Official Statement" on the matter is that I see his issue as more a JRod (LAST SEASON) than a Gaston this.

MP has managed him before so clearly would know all about his attitude and work ethic before he joined, are you saying to don't back the managers judgement?

Im saying mp may have got his judgement wrong this time and wasnt he on loan at espanol? Players seem to do a little better on loan and are keen to impress. Also everything the Roma fans say about him seems to be not far from the truth at the moment.

Do you hand on heart believe he is the right player for saints?

Im saying mp may have got his judgement wrong this time and wasnt he on loan at espanol? Players seem to do a little better on loan and are keen to impress. Also everything the Roma fans say about him seems to be not far from the truth at the moment.

If players want to do so well on loan why don't we sign more then? MP knows him, MP and the committee signed him, it seems some on here don't seem to want to back the manager and the committees judgment on this one and are writing him off after just 10 games.

I think he is clearly a good player with a decent record. He's new to the club and country, still adapting and needs a run of games in his preferred position, playing as the central striker on his own. So far he's done this twice, away at Man United and Chelsea, two of the toughest games of the season where better players than him won't get much change out of those defences this season. When people were desperate for him to sign and I said it was ironic that in the week Lambert made his England debut the saints fan who were lauding him were desperate for us to sign the man who will be his replacement in the side. Of course I was told I was wrong and that he wouldn't be, they could play together etc. but the proof is in the pudding that in our two toughest games where both have been available MP has opted for Osvaldo ahead of Lambert. Now he needs to be breve and give him an extended run in the side and let him prove his worth at home and against the lesser teams.

Edited by Turkish

He was there 18 months, initially on loan which was made permanent.

Are you saying you have a better measure of the blokes mental attributes from watching him not even ten times than a manager that worked with him day in day out for a season and a half? Dazzling arrogance there.

Let's be honest, he has been a big disappointment so far and is currently going the same way at Ramirez, let's hope he turns it around and comes good, but so far i haven't seen anything that makes me think he will.

He hasn't been amazing, but what I don't understand is the massive w a nkfest that takes place on this forum when we start to struggle. I thought we were all fans of our team? I certainly don't want to see any of our players do badly, and those taking pleaseure in it? Strange.

The guy is a good player. Scored nearly as many goals from open play as Rickie this season, in less games. I'd like to see him get a chance at home, against a midtable side. Give him some confidence and go from there.

Osvaldo's started 6 matches for Saints so far. He wasn't great by any means overall yesterday and made some very selfish decisions in places, and you can see why people are questioning if he's buying into the team ethic as a result. Then again, if I was confident in my own ability and had only scored one goal in the League so far I'd probably be trying too much for myself as well.

He worked very hard at pressing yesterday in the first half and was a strong contributor to our good first half performance, though obviously as a lone striker he's very rarely actually going to get a tackle in before the ball is released - might be useful to know how many times he pressed leading to a turnover in possession though.

Second half we were completely overrun and barely had any chances, and he was as bad as anyone, but at least had the excuse of not having any service. His performance therefore reflected the quality of the team overall - which it will do until he's worked out exactly what he needs to do to integrate himself in the system.

I've said numerous times that it's easier to integrate strikers into a side than any other position, but at the same time, it will take time for others to appreciate how best to maximise a striker's overall impact on the performance. That might be from picking out the kind of runs he was making at Arsenal earlier in the attack, or just from knowing the runs he will make and where the space will be for others to exploit.

The other thing worth noting is that he's being used up front on his own against the very top sides, in games where scoring is that much more difficult anyway. Half his appearances have been in games away to Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U up front on his own. He scored at home to Palace, and was coming back from injury when we played Hull.

One thing's for sure, as he's a decent goalscorer for Italy and in Serie A, he's got much more to come.

He hasn't been amazing, but what I don't understand is the massive w a nkfest that takes place on this forum when we start to struggle. I thought we were all fans of our team? I certainly don't want to see any of our players do badly, and those taking pleaseure in it? Strange.

The guy is a good player. Scored nearly as many goals from open play as Rickie this season, in less games. I'd like to see him get a chance at home, against a midtable side. Give him some confidence and go from there.

Its not a w a n kfest as you put it, its relevant disappointment at a massive signing being an absolute failure, similar to our last signing of similar amount, the real sad thing is our exec chairman is buying them with no football experience, how has this gone unnoticed?

Its not a w a n kfest as you put it, its relevant disappointment at a massive signing being an absolute failure, similar to our last signing of similar amount, the real sad thing is our exec chairman is buying them with no football experience, how has this gone unnoticed?

"Excellent, Ramirez/Osvaldo is playing badly, best get onto Saintsweb and start another thread about it"

*Get's lotion out*

1000px-RverseCowgirl00042.png

Why are you so disappointed with Wanyama?

He´s been absolutely great IMO.

"Excellent, Ramirez/Osvaldo is playing badly, best get onto Saintsweb and start another thread about it"

*Get's lotion out*

1000px-RverseCowgirl00042.png

You were the one suggesting knocking one out Geoffrey, like most of the happier bunch you want an argument after we lose to detract from the flack the players will get on here, I admire it and maybe if you ask your superiors like Dani or Ramirez they will help you out in your noble cause.

Yeah, I'm sure our manager, you know the one that has also managed in Spain and was also an international centre-back - who also managed said player for 18 months had some knowledge of him.

Whilst I agree he was fairly poor today, he was feeding off scraps all game. Lambert came on for the best part of half an hour and you could probably count on one hand the amount of times he touched the ball. It's not as if he is squandering chances every game. He has scored goals every club he has been at in the past few seasons.

You don't turn into a bad player overnight.

What gets me is he was averaging a goal every other game at all his other clubs. What the f is different about our game.

Statistics eh? So you have not noticed our overall goal scoring record then? 18 in 18 since April, only Sunderland have scored less. No one scores very many for us, end of. As others have said, half his games have been on his own, away, against some of the top teams. He was not ready for the Hull team when we scored for fun (for the first time this season, though we threatened to against Fulham)

He's obviously a top draw finisher yet it's not happening for him (yet). Class doesn't just evaporate overnight so what's happened? Also he's not alone, Ricky and JRod have been fairly subdued too.

MP needs to get busy on the training ground, it's criminal how all this talent is being squandered.

If players want to do so well on loan why don't we sign more then? MP knows him, MP and the committee signed him, it seems some on here don't seem to want to back the manager and the committees judgment on this one and are writing him off after just 10 games.

I think he is clearly a good player with a decent record. He's new to the club and country, still adapting and needs a run of games in his preferred position, playing as the central striker on his own. So far he's done this twice, away at Man United and Chelsea, two of the toughest games of the season where better players than him won't get much change out of those defences this season. When people were desperate for him to sign and I said it was ironic that in the week Lambert made his England debut the saints fan who were lauding him were desperate for us to sign the man who will be his replacement in the side. Of course I was told I was wrong and that he wouldn't be, they could play together etc. but the proof is in the pudding that in our two toughest games where both have been available MP has opted for Osvaldo ahead of Lambert. Now he needs to be breve and give him an extended run in the side and let him prove his worth at home and against the lesser teams.

So a player is gash for ten games and in your eyes that should earn an extended run in the team !!!!

What kind of logic us that??? He didn't come from ice hockey to football ! He is a 27 year old mature 15m footballer who should be able to come in and play pretty quickly. If he was having a reasonable game or two you might have a point but he is clearly miles off the pace and a passenger so no way can we afford to keep hoping he will improve. There is not a shread of evidence to say that he will improve and meanwhile we are carrying him.....

Mayuka is just as good if not better, come to that Billy Sharp would not have been worse.....

In fact if Ramires is anything to go by Osvaldo could get worse as time goes by..... Actually .......

So a player is gash for ten games and in your eyes that should earn an extended run in the team !!!!

What kind of logic us that??? He didn't come from ice hockey to football ! He is a 27 year old mature 15m footballer who should be able to come in and play pretty quickly. If he was having a reasonable game or two you might have a point but he is clearly miles off the pace and a passenger so no way can we afford to keep hoping he will improve. There is not a shread of evidence to say that he will improve and meanwhile we are carrying him.....

Mayuka is just as good if not better, come to that Billy Sharp would not have been worse.....

In fact if Ramires is anything to go by Osvaldo could get worse as time goes by..... Actually .......

Crikey, you spout some sh*t don't you.

Absolute ******

Except of course there is a few shreds of evidence. The shred that he is a international forward for a top national side. The fact that he has a very good scoring record in Serie A and La Liga? the shred of evidence that our manager who people are raving about has managed him before and clearly had a hand in signing him. So now he needs to pick him and play him in his favoured position, up front on his own, the position he's picked him in over lambert in our tougher games when both have been fit.

I keep hearing that the Southampton way is so amazing and that the chairman and manager are brilliant. Yet not when it comes to leaving out the fans favourite players. People are saying Osvaldo shouldn't start ahead of lambert because he's 'been gash' yet if it was Rodriguez it seems many are quite happy for that even though he has arguably been more affective than both this season. Make no mistake, Osvaldo was signed to play up front on his own and to the fact MP has chosen to do that away at Man United and Chelsea when both he and lambert have been available tells you what you need to know about the managers thinking.

So the fact of the matter is that the manager and the much lauded 'Southampton way' sees Osvaldo as our first choice central striker so now it needs the manger to back him and play him in the position he clearly favours him for for an extend period and let him find his feet. there is plenty of evidence that suggests he is more than capable of doing so, despite the nonsense you've been spouting today.

So the fact of the matter is that the manager and the much lauded 'Southampton way' sees Osvaldo as our first choice central striker so now it needs the manger to back him and play him in the position he clearly favours him for for an extend period and let him find his feet. there is plenty of evidence that suggests he is more than capable of doing so, despite the nonsense you've been spouting today.

:lol:

Not sure which OsWaldo you've been watching as of late. :facepalm:

Agree completely.

He isnt getting an extended run in the team because he isnt showing hes up for the fight in training, imo.

Wish we'd kept Billy. At least he had big brass ones and was team-spirited. Could harldy have done worse than the Carlos Kickaballs........

Agree completely.

He isnt getting an extended run in the team because he isnt showing hes up for the fight in training, imo.

Wish we'd kept Billy. At least he had big brass ones and was team-spirited. Could harldy have done worse than the Carlos Kickaballs........

Why do you think it is that when MP has had both Lambert and Osvaldo available and he's played one striker he's gone with Osvaldo?

Well he bought lovren. jrod, clyne, fonte, boruc, lambert, davis and wanyama with no football experience, he also promoted JWP, shaw and chambers from the youth team without football experience. Correct me if I am wrong, that means he picked out one of the meanest defences in Europe (not to mention pretty much the rest of the first x1i) with no football experience. God help us if he gets some.

Arsenal away went with lambert, Sunderland at home. Osvaldo hasn't been great so far.

I don't think many would argue with that. He is undoubtedly talented though, and needs to be judged after a decent run in the side, not in 1 game , out the next.

My opinion, and this where a lot of us differ.

Agree completely.

:lol::lol::lol:

Billy Sharp, the man so good he can't get into the Reading team - let alone score.

Get a grip you hysterical melt.

Well he bought lovren. jrod, clyne, fonte, boruc, lambert, davis and wanyama with no football experience, he also promoted JWP, shaw and chambers from the youth team without football experience. Correct me if I am wrong, that means he picked out one of the meanest defences in Europe (not to mention pretty much the rest of the first x1i) with no football experience. God help us if he gets some.

He also bought for an awful more money

Mayuka

Ramirez

Osvaldo

Forren

Lee

Gazzaniga

Guly

So maybe when significant purchases are required he should told to to sit the fu ck back and shut the fu ck up and sign the cheques and push pens.

He also bought for an awful more money

Mayuka

Ramirez

Osvaldo

Forren

Lee

Gazzaniga

Guly

So maybe when significant purchases are required he should told to to sit the fu ck back and shut the fu ck up and sign the cheques and push pens.

So you think he pays a director of football, chief scout & scouting network just to pick players himself based on his entire lack of football knowledge?

You really are a clueless moron.

So you think he pays a director of football, chief scout & scouting network just to pick players himself based on his entire lack of football knowledge?

You really are a clueless moron.

Thats about it yes, or his scouting network that he employs are shiit, I have noticed as well that the happy ones are the far more abusive ones when they are found out.

Thats about it yes, or his scouting network that he employs are shiit, I have noticed as well that the happy ones are the far more abusive ones when they are found out.

Oh ouch. How painful it is to be called happy. What exactly is it that I have been 'found out' about.

I'm sure it's the same scouting network that delivered the good players, such as the ones named above.

Do you really think any club has a 100% transfer success rate, ours would be much worse were they to heed your advice.

Oh ouch. How painful it is to be called happy. What exactly is it that I have been 'found out' about.

I'm sure it's the same scouting network that delivered the good players, such as the ones named above.

Do you really think any club has a 100% transfer success rate, ours would be much worse were they to heed your advice.

Kelv the players I have mentioned have been shiit since their arrival, the happy ones argue this and this is why they have rows with the ones who say they have been awful, if Forren was good he would be here, same with Mayuka, as with Lee, you get the idea, they have been awful and how much is the total spend on them lets alone wages? How much will we recoup?

Poor no shiit business and yet you argue otherwise with deflector shields fully up with back to back promotions and where we were 4 years ago rubbish.

I tell you the total of those players, well 5 as Guly was undisclosed and Lee was free, £ 33.7 -£36.7 Million, good business that I tell thee.

Ramirez £12 Million

Osvaldo £12-15 Million

Gazzaniga £2.5 Million

Forren £ 4.2 Million

Mayaka £3 Million

Kelv the players I have mentioned have been shiit since their arrival, the happy ones argue this and this is why they have rows with the ones who say they have been awful, if Forren was good he would be here, same with Mayuka, as with Lee, you get the idea, they have been awful and how much is the total spend on them lets alone wages? How much will we recoup?

Poor no shiit business and yet you argue otherwise with deflector shields fully up with back to back promotions and where we were 4 years ago rubbish.

I tell you the total of those players, well 5 as Guly was undisclosed and Lee was free, £ 33.7 -£36.7 Million, good business that I tell thee.

Ramirez £12 Million

Osvaldo £12-15 Million

Gazzaniga £2.5 Million

Forren £ 4.2 Million

Mayaka £3 Million

Don't see how you can claim Guly was poor. In L1 when he was signed he was good - and his goals early on in the Champ were vital. Also, this want to dismiss the promotions - were the players signed then not relevant on where we are today? Some truly bizarre logic, though let's unsurprising really - as any sensible person wouldn't try and make the argument you do.

Lol at deflector shields - every myth of yours that gets busted you just move on to another ridiculous argument.

Very few say Ramirez or Osvaldo have been raging successes yet. The less hysterical amongst us are able to recognise that whilst disappointing, they haven't been as bad as you and you're band of miserable trolls try to claim.

Life isn't as black and white as you try to claim.