Post Match Reaction: Newcastle United 1-1 SAINTS

Saint-Armstrong

MotM vs Newcastle United (Away 2013/14)  

288 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Newcastle United (Away 2013/14)

• Gazzaniga
    • Chambers
    • Shaw
    • Hooiveld
    • Lovren
    • Cork
    • Davis, S
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Osvaldo
    • Rodriguez
    • Lambert
    • Lallana
    • Schneiderlin
    • Gallagher

I am guilty of being very worried any time the ball is within range of Gazza. That is simply because I want us to win.

However, he is our THIRD choice keeper, and is young. I think it's OK to worry that he is now our first team keeper for the time being, but to judge the guy on the position he has been thrown into as if he is intended to be a top class Premier League goalkeeper is unfair and disingenuous.

Yes, he is inadequate for footy at this level. However, he is more than adequate at the moment for a third choice keeper. He deserves some thanks along with some of the criticism.

I am guilty of being very worried any time the ball is within range of Gazza. That is simply because I want us to win.

However, he is our THIRD choice keeper, and is young. I think it's OK to worry that he is now our first team keeper for the time being, but to judge the guy on the position he has been thrown into as if he is intended to be a top class Premier League goalkeeper is unfair and disingenuous.

Yes, he is inadequate for footy at this level. However, he is more than adequate at the moment for a third choice keeper. He deserves some thanks along with some of the criticism.

A touch of common sense at last.

Shaw 8-brilliant game.

I was rather disappointed in Shaw today - for the first time this season.

He looked good going forward and has everything he needs to be a superstar, but he was caught upfield too often for my liking and much more than he is usually. What magnified this issue - or possibly made it appear to be a problem this week - is that he had Jos, not Lovren, behind him.

Good post, Ohio.

There's a reason why keepers peak in their late-twenties/early-thirties. It's because they've developed the ability - often through harsh experience - to read situations correctly before reacting to them, and the confidence that comes from this acquired skill. Gazza hasn't had that luxury, and the PL can be a brutal division if you're still learning.

Let's not forget that Jack Butland - for whom many teams were ready to open the bank vault not very long ago - is hardly setting the world alight.

i don't get your position here Derry, you have always slated Kelvin , but then make excuses for Gazza. An agenda perhaps ?

No, Gazzaniga is an inexperienced youngster. Davis is a very experienced shotstopper with too many weaknesses.

This was a good point and we were unlucky not to pinch all three, but also lucky that Remy missed a complete sitter. Sorry, but Gazza is not really at a level that befits a Prem keeper. Lambert is drifting away from the pace of the rest of the team. Lallana and Davis were superb today, but if I had to buy just one player in January, it would be an attacking midfieldersimilar to Lallana. JRod looks the business, but Osvaldo is still not proving his worth...yet.

Gazzaniga didn't let us down. The mistake he made under pressure from an awkward ball from Lallana, apart from that he was alright, that mistake didn't even begin to compare with Artur Boruc's aberration v Arsenal. He is a young, inexperienced lad playing in the most unforgiving place on the football pitch and he's all we've got. Lambert lost Williamson, Hooiveld sliced his clearance for the goal. Caught out of goal twice but caught the header, made a save then Chambers cleared off the line. Slaughtering him isn't going to make him better.

Just my opinion, but I also thought the back pass was a big ask with the spin and (as I recall) a bounce, while under pressure. Yes, Gazza cocked it up, but he was put in a tough situation by the pass. I would not have judged him too harshly if he handled it, and gave up the indirect kick.

For the goal, on the other hand, while Jos whiffed on the clearance, I thought Gazza's commitment was poor. (In general, I think that's the weakest part of his game, coming off his line.) He came in with his legs towards the ball and direction of movement. He also seemed to play to a spot short of the ball, rather than attacking through it. A confident goalkeeper cleans up mistakes from teammates, and I think Boruc would have smothered that by attacking the ball arms and chest first.

He's young and third choice, so hopefully he'll improve based on this experience.

All opinion are based on a few glimpses of replay from specific angles, of course--so I could be completely wrong.

No, Gazzaniga is an inexperienced youngster. Davis is a very experienced shotstopper with too many weaknesses.

Davis a goalie who has been immense for us in the past and shown great loyalty. I think Gazza has looks v poor tbh. Do you agree Derry that if Davis is fit you would play him next week ?

it's not about experience it's about quality. Please give me Gazzas strengths. I do not want him to fail like many wanted Davis to ,in the vain attempt to underline their own stance ( not aimed at you) I have no confidence in him, aka Bialkowski , and tHe string of other keepers we were told were the next best thing by the experts on here

Davis a goalie who has been immense for us in the past and shown great loyalty. I think Gazza has looks v poor tbh. Do you agree Derry that if Davis is fit you would play him next week ?

I'm not Derry, but I'll answer anyway. ;) I would play KD personally, but I would not set my expectations much higher, if at all. Don't get me wrong, I love KD and his service to the club, but what we need is a new second place keeper.....Not a new third place keeper.

What makes the modern game much harder for developing young players, especially keepers, is the fact that if they're not in the first team they're generally not playing at all, and young keepers have to play in order to progress. It would do Gazza the world of good to go out on loan somewhere decent, but we've lacked the depth to be able to do that.

On top of this, I lack conviction about our specialized goalkeeper coaching. Davis still has retained the same faults (poor on crosses, vulnerable at the near post), Boruc - although a very good keeper - is still being undone by his own over-confidence which at times borders on criminal casualness, and Gazza's reading of situations has barely improved.

Still, they should be okay if they get into a punch-up. ;)

Just my opinion, but I also thought the back pass was a big ask with the spin and (as I recall) a bounce, while under pressure. Yes, Gazza cocked it up, but he was put in a tough situation by the pass. I would not have judged him too harshly if he handled it, and gave up the indirect kick.

For the goal, on the other hand, while Jos whiffed on the clearance, I thought Gazza's commitment was poor. (In general, I think that's the weakest part of his game, coming off his line.) He came in with his legs towards the ball and direction of movement. He also seemed to play to a spot short of the ball, rather than attacking through it. A confident goalkeeper cleans up mistakes from teammates, and I think Boruc would have smothered that by attacking the ball arms and chest first.

He's young and third choice, so hopefully he'll improve based on this experience.

All opinion are based on a few glimpses of replay from specific angles, of course--so I could be completely wrong.

Fair comment, the boy needs to get away on loan to a decent team with a good goalkeeping coach when this run is over and we need to bring in a top class keeper as competition for Artur Boruc.

I'm not Derry, but I'll answer anyway. ;) I would play KD personally, but I would not set my expectations much higher, if at all. Don't get me wrong, I love KD and his service to the club, but what we need is a new second place keeper.....Not a new third place keeper.
fair comment, we need another decent keeper,in time that may be Gazza long term but short term??

it's not about experience it's about quality. Please give me Gazzas strengths. I do not want him to fail like many wanted Davis to ,in the vain attempt to underline their own stance ( not aimed at you) I have no confidence in him, aka Bialkowski , and tHe string of other keepers we were told were the next best thing by the experts on here

I think Davis is not up to this level, neither is Gazzaniga. The more experience he gets the better. Rumour is that Davis will be out until Jan. I wouldn't drop Gazzaniga for Davis.

I think Davis is not up to this level, neither is Gazzaniga. The more experience he gets the better. Rumour is that Davis will be out until Jan. I wouldn't drop Gazzaniga for Davis.

Utter madness. Davis is definitely the better keeper.

On my way home. Great day out, thanks to havasac for useful info if he/she is still looking. Good pubs, good ale, friendly banter.

Happy with a point. Gazza still worrying, Jos suffered for a slip.

Thought Ricky had a good game playing deeper - he sees a killer pass as well as anyone. Osvaldo anonymous, JRod good. Davis excellent, Morgan and Adam made a big difference and Chambers solid. Lovren massive as usual. Luke - not his best.

But great day out, good point.

The Independent is reporting that "Arsène Wenger declared after his players conceded six goals to Manchester City that Manuel Pellegrini’s side were “not unbeatable” and no better than Everton and Southampton."

He's right, Arsenal were just shîte today, might have well as played 4-0-0-2, no midfield at all at all. Ozil,Ramsey,Wilshere and Flamini all dire, just kept giving the ball away.

The Independent is reporting that "Arsène Wenger declared after his players conceded six goals to Manchester City that Manuel Pellegrini’s side were “not unbeatable” and no better than Everton and Southampton."

I'm still trying to figure out if that is a compliment to us, or an insult.

Oh. Wait. Arsene is French, so it's an insult......... Buggar!

Fair result. Can see why Pochettino tried Osvaldo and Lambert with Lallana on the bench. We'd have to clear long and two big men holding the ball up with Davis, Cork and Ward-Prowse doing the running would compensate for losing Lallana's creativity. Didn't work though, and Osvaldo was rightly sacrificed at half-time. A classic breakaway goal got us the point in a much better second half. Newcastle well organised but we deserved a draw. This is a tough run that is testing us, but we had an answer today.