Post Match Reaction: Newcastle United 1-1 SAINTS

Saint-Armstrong

MotM vs Newcastle United (Away 2013/14)  

288 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Newcastle United (Away 2013/14)

• Gazzaniga
    • Chambers
    • Shaw
    • Hooiveld
    • Lovren
    • Cork
    • Davis, S
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Osvaldo
    • Rodriguez
    • Lambert
    • Lallana
    • Schneiderlin
    • Gallagher

Yoann Gouffran capitalised on a mistake by Jos Hooiveld, before Jay Rodriguez scored his 7th of the season to level it up.

Referee got put on his back and was bleeding, before a massive ruck in the dugouts with what looked like a scrap between Pardew and Perez.

Sam Gallagher got his Premier League debut in injury time.

Saints remain in 8th. Tottenham at home next weekend.

MOTM? For me, Steven Davis.

poor 1st half. very very entertaining game in respect an all action english affair.

both teams could have easily won it

jos did well after his horrendous clearance

lallana was excellent when came on

jay rod look very lively up front

thought MP got his tactics wrong 1st half.

exciting, end to end stuff had everything

would have taken 1-1 at the start given our players out and them being the form team

gazza his in no way good enough. end of

Much better second half, JRod was terrific up front

Chambers, Shaw, Davis and Lovren really good as well, Newcastle are a decent side

Think were at a tipping point now with Osvaldo and SRL as strikers in this team, the movement and mobility we had with Rodriguez in that second half transformed our game and i would start playing him up top from now on. We look slow and ponderous with either of those two up front

Terrible first half. Newcastle were much the better side despite having little possession. Adam and Morgan on in the 2nd and Saints were much, much better. Brilliant attempt by Davis which hit the post before the goal from Rodriguez. Thought apart from the mistake from Jos for the Newcastle goal, our defence looked pretty good. Gazza still showing that he as his nervy moments but is still young and his actual shot stopping is excellent. All the game time he is getting can only help him. I think Gazza is going to be a great keeper in the future. Just needs to be a bit more authoritative, which will come.

Got to agree, Steven Davis for MOM. Had a storming game, was everywhere. Good tackling and break up play. An un-sung hero in the Saints team.

I'm pleased with the draw, Newcastle have been on a role of late and given all our injuries we have done well. So after this we are getting closer to our injured players returning. I must admit Gazza does give me the jitters at times. . We had a great last week against citeh and they demolished the arse today , so it does show how far we have come

Chambers, Shaw, Davis and Lovren really good as well, Newcastle are a decent side

Think were at a tipping point now with Osvaldo and SRL as strikers in this team, the movement and mobility we had with Rodriguez in that second half transformed our game and i would start playing him up top from now on. We look slow and ponderous with either of those two up front

Newcastle handled them both well with backs to goal. I'm surprised we started Osvaldo and Lambert together for that reason but things are different at home and against different teams. Wouldn't call for a big change like that just yet!

Exciting spectacle to watch, albeit on juddervision and no commentary (listened to DM 3 mins behind!!).

69% possession 1st half, feck all to show for it, amazing change in 2nd half, much more inventive and urgency going forward.

Newcastle have got some pretty talented players, not a bad result but we are losing ground on the leading pack now.

I didn't think we were much cop in the 1st half, but a lot better in the 2nd - probably down to the introduction of Morgan and Lallana. JWP struggled quite a lot in that first half.

Davis was MOTM for me, was terrific. Rodriguez was as well, but I just have a feeling that with a better touch he could have had a 2nd today. Good performance though.

Not entirely sure what's up with Rickie at the mo, either him or Osvaldo could have come off after that 1st half, and Rickie didn't really improve much more to be honest. Forgot he was playing for periods of that game.

All in all a good point, in a pretty typical game of 2 halves!

I have the same feeling as after the Man City game - lots of key players out so any point would be welcome. We went behind and I lost faith a bit. The players though just kept battling and ground out a very good point. Our fringe players are not at all as bad as I had feared but we still have some issues to work with.

Good point, proud of the team!

... Gazza still showing that he as his nervy moments but is still young and his actual shot stopping is excellent. All the game time he is getting can only help him. I think Gazza is going to be a great keeper in the future. Just needs to be a bit more authoritative, which will come.

You've gone waaaay off message with that opinion !

Ricky has been great for Saints, but Osvaldo ? How much did we pay for him ? FFS

Why did Jos start? Fonte injured/tired?

Same about Lallana.

We played well but in all fairness a win for either would've been unfair on the other.

Steven Davis MOM. Great journeyman. Delightful touch of the ball he has.

Rotation because of the heavy fixture load coming up i guess

Newcastle handled them both well with backs to goal. I'm surprised we started Osvaldo and Lambert together for that reason but things are different at home and against different teams. Wouldn't call for a big change like that just yet!

Not sure why all the debate over Lambert and/or Osvaldo and/or Rodriquez... we are lucky to have all three in our squad. MP will rotate based on opposition analysis.. simple.

Why did Jos start? Fonte injured/tired?

Same about Lallana.

We played well but in all fairness a win for either would've been unfair on the other.

Steven Davis MOM. Great journeyman. Delightful touch of the ball he has.

Lallana and Fonte have knocks.

You've gone waaaay off message with that opinion !

Yeah, I know, but why follow the crowd. ;-)

I'm an optimist by nature and I think he has the ability, it is just the experience and authority he needs, like all young keepers.

I think with Boruc and Kelvin in the squad he will mature a lot faster than some.

Summed it up near the end when he came and collected a ball from above a Newcastle player despite knowing he was likely to get hurt - showing the right attitude for me.

I truly, honestly believe that the reason Steven Davis is so unnoticed and underrated is because he's a ginger British guy with a boring name.

I'm serious.

He's a fantastic player, quick and feisty in the tackle, wins it, gives it, sees and executes everything quickly. Awesome stuff.

Starting to think we need a replacement for Lambert, he was pretty ineffectual again this afternoon and gave the ball away far too frequently. Rodriguez is developing into some player, with a bit more confidence in himself he could really reach for the stars, and the least said about Gazzaniga the better. He is not good enough for this level. Nothing he has done in his Saints career lets me believe he can be a future regular between the sticks for us, poor decision making and looks like a startled cat in goal most of the time.