Clattenburg under investigation after Southampton accuse him of abusing Adam Lallana

Saint-Armstrong

Saints are quite right though, in that latest Mail article.

It was said by loads of pundits at the time that Riley was making a huge rod for his own back, and the backs of his officials.

Clubs now get indignant and think they'll get an apology.

We've had several compounded decisions, then the Lallana comment and then a patronising reply - hence why the club is getting on its high horse.

I'll back the club until this whole thing has concluded, and then I'll cast my judgement.

I'll back the club until this whole thing has concluded, and then I'll cast my judgement.

That's fine, but it seems that the club are leaving AL hang out to dry. They, and by that the Chairman (or manager) should come out and say that it is him who is doing this and not the player.

That's fine, but it seems that the club are leaving AL hang out to dry. They, and by that the Chairman (or manager) should come out and say that it is him who is doing this and not the player.

It surely does and it seems to me from this that he did not instigate this at all, he is merely a pawn in Cortese reaction to a poor decision.

Does Cortese think that there's something more sinister going on? As he's Italian, he'll be very aware of the Calciopoli scandal where a number of the top clubs had connections with the referees association and influenced their assignment of referees to specific matches. Mark Clattenburg's one of 16 Premier League referees, by chance he should have officiated at three or four of our 58 Premier League matches since our promotion, he's actually refereed 7 of them. That's the only reason I can think of why he's trying so hard to push this case.

Does Cortese think that there's something more sinister going on? As he's Italian, he'll be very aware of the Calciopoli scandal where a number of the top clubs had connections with the referees association and influenced their assignment of referees to specific matches. Mark Clattenburg's one of 16 Premier League referees, by chance he should have officiated at three or four of our 58 Premier League matches since our promotion, he's actually refereed 7 of them. That's the only reason I can think of why he's trying so hard to push this case.

Because he has fallen in love with panto since he has lived here can only be my assumption.

From a high level referee contact..

The ref said "You are a jumped up little ****" - that was the actual reason for the complaint.

That's a little different from what has been reported!!! Is this going to come out in the press, or is it bullocks?

Taking it on face value, damn right you would complain about that!!

And from what Weston Saint said earlier in this thread, sounds like Lallana said something back to him and then got booked for it!

I would be fuming. Ref shouldn't be winding players up. Might as well play for the opposition.

The ref said "You are a jumped up little ****" - that was the actual reason for the complaint.

And thats the reason for complaint? Christ alive that is really precious. I can not believe a man would go and complain about that, what a World we live in.

And thats the reason for complaint? Christ alive that is really precious. I can not believe a man would go and complain about that, what a World we live in.

Would it have been acceptable for AL to have said that to a referee?

From someone whose credibility depends almost entirely on the perception that they're acting impartially and professionally.

Yeh right.

Don't believe that for a second.

If that happened why didn't Saints put that in their complaint letter that they wrote? Not difficult is it?

How do we know they didn't?

Because the press have seen the letter and if it had that phrase in it it would be on every back page in the country.

And even for some strange reason the press decided not to go with the "Referee four letter tirade" mega-story then Saints, by now, would have leaked said outburst to the press themselves.

If Saints really want Clatternburg gone then all they need to do is say he said that. They have't, he didn't.

Because the press have seen the letter and if it had that phrase in it it would be on every back page in the country.

And even for some strange reason the press decided not to go with the "Referee four letter tirade" mega-story then Saints, by now, would have leaked said outburst to the press themselves.

If Saints really want Clatternburg gone then all they need to do is say he said that. They have't, he didn't.

Ok, thanks. I wasn't aware that the press have seen a full copy of the letter (as opposed to just being told about its content by 'an insider')

Edited by trousers

Ok, thanks. I wasn't aware that the press have seen a full copy of the letter (as opposed to just being told about its content by 'an insider')

An insider who ignored the four letter foul mouthed tirade?

Okay. Clatternburg said it. Why has the club left AL out to dry for three days of media pi ss take then? The club could release the letter and MC would probably never ref in the PL again.

You think the club are that gutless?

Edited by CB Fry

And even for some strange reason the press decided not to go with the "Referee four letter tirade" people.mega-story then Saints, by now, would have leaked said outburst to the press themselves.

How do you know that the press have seen the letter? I've not read one press report which suggests that they have seen the letter, bur merely what that they "understand" its contents to be.

Okay. Clatternburg said it. Why has the club left AL out to dry for three days if media pi ss take then? The club cold release the letter an MC would probably never ref in the PL again.

Yep, that doesn't add up I agree. Although it could just be Cortese's dogmatic blanket way of dealing with the media - I.e. He never seems to grace any negative reporting of Saints with any kind of response , preferring instead to consistently deal with things 'in private'. Who knows. Either way, I don't think we have all the pieces of the jigsaw yet.

Edited by trousers

Okay. Clatternburg said it. Why has the club left AL out to dry for three days of media pi ss take then? The club could release the letter and MC would probably never ref in the PL again.

1. To clarify, do you know if the press have seen the letter or are you assuming?

2.An "insider" could be from the ref side, not the club.

3. The club shouldn't release the letter. Let's do our business in the right way.

1. To clarify, do you know if the press have seen the letter or are you assuming?

2.An "insider" could be from the ref side, not the club.

3. The club shouldn't release the letter. Let's do our business in the right way.

1. You're assuming they haven't, I'm assuming they have. Journos would have seen the whole thing and reported the most interesting bit.

2. LOL. Saints/Lallana don't have any insiders on their side. Okay then.

3. ...by stitching up their team captain. The weekend's biggest talking point would have been 'disgraced foul mouthed ref" if the club had come forward with that. Instead, Adam looks like a pr ick.

Funny you don't seem to be interrogating the random poster putting up the "****" claim.

Just assuming that's true then? Thought so.

manina-pub's posting history doesn't lead one to suspect he/she is on a wind-up. IMO of course.

Fine. Believe it. Move the discussion on to why the club have left their team captain swinging in the wind, then.

If there's a cover up, Saints have covered it up.

1. You're assuming they haven't, I'm assuming they have. Journos would have seen the whole thing and reported the most interesting bit.

2. LOL. Saints/Lallana don't have any insiders on their side. Okay then.

3. ...by stitching up their team captain. The weekend's biggest talking point would have been 'disgraced foul mouthed ref" if the club had come forward with that. Instead, Adam looks like a pr ick.

Funny you don't seem to be interrogating the random poster putting up the "****" claim.

Just assuming that's true then? Thought so.

1. You said that the press had seen the letter and are now backtracking. I've got no idea whether they have or haven't.

2. So are you saying that the "insider" is from the club? How do you know where the insider is from?

3. The club, quite rightly, are not seeking trial by media.

As for the comment by mannine pub, at least he's reporting what he says he's been told rather than just guessing.

Im with Fry with this one, if that really was said I imagine that even PGMOL would have had difficulty defending it let alone the fact that the press would have been all over it.

If it was said, fair enough I can see why an accusation would be made by the club but just like when he reportedly called Mikel a 'Monkey' I just dont buy it.

Fine. Believe it. Move the discussion on to why the club have left their team captain swinging in the wind, then.

If there's a cover up, Saints have covered it up.

Coz the world is one long episode of the Thick of It where leaking and smearing are rife and the only way to get things done.

Perhaps Lallana is being defended, albeit behind closed doors rather than the club sullying itself in a big media circus.

Bit tinpot if you ask me.

Been taking night classes at the Harry Redknapp school of media management along with your excellent training at the Stoke City school of football finance?

Edited by shurlock

Im with Fry with this one, if that really was said I imagine that even PGMOL would have had difficulty defending it let alone the fact that the press would have been all over it.

If it was said, fair enough I can see why an accusation would be made by the club but just like when he reportedly called Mikel a 'Monkey' I just dont buy it.

Don't forget that THEVMAN has also said that the actual comments are different to those reported. My comments have been based on Fry's comment that the press have seen the letter. I'm not aware that they have.If they have then they would quote what it says, not what an unspecified insider says.

Correct. People like Egg picking over irrrelevencies with no grasp of the pretty clear big picture.

If he said it and Saints had put that in the letter, MC would not be reffing on Saturday.

I love instant opinion threads. When things finally have time to follow due process a bunch of people look like idiots until the next one comes along.

Nobody has considered the possibility that people took extended vacation time over Xmas & The New Year and that maybe a Lawyer's desk was rather full when the letter from the Club to proceed landed on it?

There are so many possibilities on BOTH sides that we have no idea. Adam shut the media up with the goal Saturday.

It's simply a Popcorn time

1. You said that the press had seen the letter and are now backtracking. I've got no idea whether they have or haven't.

2. So are you saying that the "insider" is from the club? How do you know where the insider is from?

3. The club, quite rightly, are not seeking trial by media.

As for the comment by mannine pub, at least he's reporting what he says he's been told rather than just guessing.

I haven't back tracked an inch.

Have a look at the big picture rather than lame point scoring against me.

Loving your line about the club not seeking trial by media. LOLtastic.

Edited by CB Fry

It's not a case of believing it or not believing it - I've no idea if what he/she has posted is true or not. I'm just keeping an open mind on it rather than dismissing it out of hand. Call me old fashioned.

Except I am not dismissing it out of hand.

I am saying if it is true, then that means other things are true.

Discuss those with your open mind.

Correct. People like Egg picking over irrrelevencies with no grasp of the pretty clear big picture.

If he said it and Saints had put that in the letter, MC would not be reffing on Saturday.

... Link to press article seen and noted.

Really you should just f**k off back to your skate forum you boring, agenda-ridden, pathetically illiterate, pond-life IQ'd skate scum.

Is that sort of abuse acceptable do you think? And I'm not paid to be impartial and make decisions that affect many thousands of people and millions of pounds.

As I've said before nobody knows the content of the letter but for the club to make a complaint it must have felt that fairness or competence, perhaps both, were questionable. I fully support the club's stance.

I haven't back tracked an inch.

Have a look at the big picture rather than lame point scoring against me.

Loving your line about the club not seeking trial by media. LOLtastic.

No point scoring by me. I just don't like speculation. Now that you've linked to the press article referring to having seen the letter (I'm still unsure that any of the reporters have seen the letter though) I take your point.

Not sure what you mean by the big picture. The club have made a complaint and seemingly are pursuing it. We've kept our counsel in public and so has AL. That's admirable imo.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/sam-wallace-southamptons-highhanded-complaint-about-mark-clattenburg-lifts-a-lid-on-the-way-clubs-seek-to-influence-who-referees-their-games-9040232.html

You can understand why Southampton tried it. After all, some of the biggest, well-established Premier League clubs have been dictating for years which referees they want to officiate their games.

When Southampton issued that statement on Friday that they did not want Mark Clattenburg to referee any of their games while an unspecified investigation took place, they were simply following a long and ignoble tradition that has embarrassed the Premier League, its chief executive Richard Scudamore and the referees’ boss Mike Riley for some time. The one that says clubs can lobby for referees not to take charge of their games.

Like the younger sibling who has seen his older brother plunder the biscuit tin unauthorised, Southampton, in their second Premier League season after a seven-year absence, have been set a bad example. It does not excuse their desire to tell the Professional Game Match Officials Ltd (PGMOL) which referee they don’t want, but it goes a long way to explaining why they think they might have the right.