Clattenburg under investigation after Southampton accuse him of abusing Adam Lallana

Saint-Armstrong

Yes, there does appear to be more to this affair

Southampton's row with referees' chief Mike Riley began when he apologised to former West Brom manager Steve Clarke over the Ramires ‘dive’ at Stamford Bridge.

Riley’s apology to Clarke was made public after the general manager of the PGMOL admitted referee Andre Marriner had made a mistake by awarding Chelsea a penalty 20 seconds from time.

It has now emerged that in an effort to promote consistency among all 20 clubs in the Barclays Premier League, Southampton asked for a number of decisions to be reviewed following the well-publicised ‘Ramires apology’.

Southampton are furious that Riley has ignored their request for an investigation into Mark Clattenburg after he allegedly told captain Adam Lallana that he has changed since being capped by England.

The south coast club, who beat Burnley in the FA Cup third round on Saturday, want the FA to investigate the incident between Clattenburg and Lallana. Southampton maintain that it was 'insulting and abusive', but Riley wrote back to tell them that Clattenburg's 89th minute reaction was 'game management'.

In light of Riley’s apology to West Brom, which was leaked into the public domain, Southampton asked for apology and acceptance that referees had made significant mistakes in matches involving Mauricio Pochettino’s team.

That, in the view of Southampton officials, is usual practice but Riley sent a withering reply following their formal letter listing a number of mistakes by match officials.

Instead Riley is believed to have sent Southampton a response that was interpreted as patronising and ignorant by the south coast club.

Although many consider their complaint against Clattenburg to be frivolous, Southampton believe they - along with other Premier League clubs - are simply demanding better refereeing standards.

They also stand by their decision to make the complaint about Clattenburg’s 89th minute comment to Lallana after he had turned down a penalty for handball on Antolin Alcaraz.

There is also huge dissatisfaction at St Mary’s that Riley has not implemented the ‘black box’ recordings on match officials after another public assurance last season.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2534169/Southamptons-row-referees-chief-Mike-Riley-sparked-apology-Ramires-penalty-decision.html#ixzz2pbs1vuDe

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2534169/Southamptons-row-referees-chief-Mike-Riley-sparked-apology-Ramires-penalty-decision.html#ixzz2pbroT4nt

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Interesting comments for so called newspaper commentators

Sam wallace reports "On top of that, Lallana does not need this kind of episode following him around as his career flourishes in the Premier League. Is he really so sensitive about a tart response from a referee who himself gets sworn at countless times a game?

yet CB frys distinguish reporter Haywrod referers to Adam having an over inflated ego.

See reporters are saying the complete opposite

In both cases and CB's and Barry , they both appear to be siding with the referee

It could be that having seen Saints being on the wrong end of one poor refereeing decision too many, a decision has been taken to use whatever device is available to try and reverse the situation. Clattenburg has a history of poor decisions against us when he has officiated in our matches. Apart from the two penalties which we claimed should have been awarded for handballs in the Everton Match, there were also the poor decisions in the Arsenal and Norwich matches that stand out. He will award a penalty against us, but not award us one for an incident almost identical. His inconsistency either signals incompetance or bias, so either way that needs challenging with the game's governing authorities.

When one looks at the level of gamesmanship employed by other teams in matches, where players are clearly diving, pulling shirts, gobbing at the referees in an attempt to have rival players sent off, then perhaps the time has come for us to make waves when refereeing decisions go against us for that type of incident. The alternative is that perhaps we ought to employ that sort of gamesmanship ourselves. For instance, Lambert is sometimes given a foul against him for attemptng to get the ball, when several times during a match he has players all over his back holding him down. Maybe he ought to take a leaf out of the books of those who go down easily to gain an advantage from a kick. Tot up the number of points lost when a team cheats or employs this sort of gamesmanship against us, and it could be that the conclusion reached is that during the course of a season that might represent the difference of two or three places in the table.

The normal view expressed is that during the course of a season, these things will even themselves out, but patently where referees like Clattenburg are involved, that will never be the case, as I don't recall him giving us many, if any penalties. It's recognised that the top glory teams are less likely to have decisions go against them, but also that their players are more likely to be the ones employing gamesmanship to gain an advantage. Chelsea now have two new divers to add to Torres, and we all know that Man United have Young, Liverpool have Suarez, etc and those top teams also contain the most players who go to ground if a player breathes too heavily behind them too, as well as the yappy, niggly sort that try and get rival players sent off.

As we have ambitions to get in amongst those top teams, perhaps a decision has been taken that we need to employ the same tactics as them to gain a points advantage that might result in a crucial place or two rise in the table.

Im really pleased that the referee in the chelsea game saw their player try to get Kelvin sent off.

we would be in melt down if he had been given a red card

While the chelsea manager commented on it and the referee did well , I think he bottled it a bit and the chelsea player should have been sent off

What I dont hear from either the PGMOL or FA or Premier league commenting on or bringing dispute charges against the chelski player

if anything warranted that charge then it was the chelski player. the admission he was trying to get Kelvin sent off is unforgiveable

Is it because he's a chelsea player.

Im really pleased that the referee in the chelsea game saw their player try to get Kelvin sent off.

we would be in melt down if he had been given a red card

While the chelsea manager commented on it and the referee did well , I think he bottled it a bit and the chelsea player should have been sent off

What I dont hear from either the PGMOL or FA or Premier league commenting on or bringing dispute charges against the chelski player

if anything warranted that charge then it was the chelski player. the admission he was trying to get Kelvin sent off is unforgiveable

Is it because he's a chelsea player.

Why should Oscar have been sent off? The ref followed the rule to the letter. In a thread where a referee is being pilloried for not applying the laws of the game correctly it's slightly odd that you're suggesting another ref deviate from the laws of the game.

Kraken

Im not berating the referee , the complete opposite

I beleive the likes of Oscar should be made examples of . there one thing tring to get a penalty and a potential sending off

but this guy and the manager confirms that he was trying to get KD sent off. That is not in the spirit of the game

The Match offical on the day was excellent

It could be that having seen Saints being on the wrong end of one poor refereeing decision too many, a decision has been taken to use whatever device is available to try and reverse the situation. Clattenburg has a history of poor decisions against us when he has officiated in our matches. Apart from the two penalties which we claimed should have been awarded for handballs in the Everton Match, there were also the poor decisions in the Arsenal and Norwich matches that stand out. He will award a penalty against us, but not award us one for an incident almost identical. His inconsistency either signals incompetance or bias, so either way that needs challenging with the game's governing authorities.

When one looks at the level of gamesmanship employed by other teams in matches, where players are clearly diving, pulling shirts, gobbing at the referees in an attempt to have rival players sent off, then perhaps the time has come for us to make waves when refereeing decisions go against us for that type of incident. The alternative is that perhaps we ought to employ that sort of gamesmanship ourselves. For instance, Lambert is sometimes given a foul against him for attemptng to get the ball, when several times during a match he has players all over his back holding him down. Maybe he ought to take a leaf out of the books of those who go down easily to gain an advantage from a kick. Tot up the number of points lost when a team cheats or employs this sort of gamesmanship against us, and it could be that the conclusion reached is that during the course of a season that might represent the difference of two or three places in the table.

The normal view expressed is that during the course of a season, these things will even themselves out, but patently where referees like Clattenburg are involved, that will never be the case, as I don't recall him giving us many, if any penalties. It's recognised that the top glory teams are less likely to have decisions go against them, but also that their players are more likely to be the ones employing gamesmanship to gain an advantage. Chelsea now have two new divers to add to Torres, and we all know that Man United have Young, Liverpool have Suarez, etc and those top teams also contain the most players who go to ground if a player breathes too heavily behind them too, as well as the yappy, niggly sort that try and get rival players sent off.

As we have ambitions to get in amongst those top teams, perhaps a decision has been taken that we need to employ the same tactics as them to gain a points advantage that might result in a crucial place or two rise in the table.

Spot on.

Eloquently and accurately put!

Kraken

Im not berating the referee , the complete opposite

I beleive the likes of Oscar should be made examples of . there one thing tring to get a penalty and a potential sending off

but this guy and the manager confirms that he was trying to get KD sent off. That is not in the spirit of the game

The Match offical on the day was excellent

Unfortunately that's the law though, a booking. If you're saying that's not enough then I entirely agree, a yellow card is no real deterrent considering the potential reward. But until the lawmakers redress that balance It'll continue to happen because, as far as the attacking team is concerned, it's a risk worth taking.

And thats the reason for complaint? Christ alive that is really precious. I can not believe a man would go and complain about that, what a World we live in.

Presumably you don't have a problem with it because you are so used to being called the same it is like water off of a duck's back.

It's recognised that the top glory teams are less likely to have decisions go against them, but also that their players are more likely to be the ones employing gamesmanship to gain an advantage. Chelsea now have two new divers to add to Torres, and we all know that Man United have Young, Liverpool have Suarez, etc and those top teams also contain the most players who go to ground if a player breathes too heavily behind them too, as well as the yappy, niggly sort that try and get rival players sent off.

Lallana and Jay Rod are both divers. Every team has players who dive, and every team has players who are in the ref's ear constantly.

Lallana and Jay Rod are both divers. Every team has players who dive, and every team has players who are in the ref's ear constantly.

Neither of our two have gained a reputation for it particularly and there is a dividing line between a player going down without contact being made on him and another who goes down easily, or because he is built more slightly and so naturally is more easily knocked off his feet. Lallana in particular comes into that last category.

I don't think particularly that we are a team of players who moan and b*tch to the referee in order to get players sent off. Maybe our captain will express an opinion, but then that is expected and acceptable.

I stand by my point that the top glory teams add to their home advantage of huge crowds intimidating the referees by also having the most players in their teams capable of gaining an advantage by gamesmanship or blatant cheating.

If all that stuff about Cortese's meticulous attention to detail regarding the physical well-being and mental conditioning of the players has been accurately reported, then it crosses my mind that it must have occurred to him that there is scope for copying some of the methods utilised by the top teams to gain an advantage. Pochettino has expressed the opinion that we are too much a team of nice guys and I suspect that is about to change. Whereas I detest gamesmanship and cheating in sport, I don't see why we should be at a disadvantage because others employ those tactics. I'm now in the "if you can't beat them, join them" camp. Cortese being Italian is probably thinking of Machiavelli's similar philosophy, that the end justifies the means

Neither of our two have gained a reputation for it particularly and there is a dividing line between a player going down without contact being made on him and another who goes down easily, or because he is built more slightly and so naturally is more easily knocked off his feet. Lallana in particular comes into that last category.

I don't think particularly that we are a team of players who moan and b*tch to the referee in order to get players sent off. Maybe our captain will express an opinion, but then that is expected and acceptable.

I stand by my point that the top glory teams add to their home advantage of huge crowds intimidating the referees by also having the most players in their teams capable of gaining an advantage by gamesmanship or blatant cheating.

If all that stuff about Cortese's meticulous attention to detail regarding the physical well-being and mental conditioning of the players has been accurately reported, then it crosses my mind that it must have occurred to him that there is scope for copying some of the methods utilised by the top teams to gain an advantage. Pochettino has expressed the opinion that we are too much a team of nice guys and I suspect that is about to change. Whereas I detest gamesmanship and cheating in sport, I don't see why we should be at a disadvantage because others employ those tactics. I'm now in the "if you can't beat them, join them" camp. Cortese being Italian is probably thinking of Machiavelli's similar philosophy, that the end justifies the means

I disagree with you about Lallana (and JRod). I've seen him dive in the penalty box and it's nothing to do with his build. He's a poor diver, e.g. West Ham away in the Championship and Skates at home. I draw the line at gamesmanship on the field of play. Where we could improve is in making SMS a hostile environment for refs and linesmen. Crowd pressure really can make a difference.

according to the Telegraph the FA have rejected our requested for investigation into Clattenburg's conduct.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/10553514/Football-Association-turn-down-request-to-investigate-Mark-Clattenburg-over-Adam-Lallana-comments.html

No real surprise but at least Clattenburg will hopefully up his game next time knowing all eyes will be on him. Saints have at least raised awareness of his incompetence albeit they have made a real dog's dinner of it and have made lallana look like a right tool at the same time.

http://www.thefa.com/news/governance/2014/jan/clattenburg-southampton-statement-060114

The FA can confirm it received a complaint from Southampton concerning referee Mark Clattenburg and his alleged comments made to their player Adam Lallana.

The FA has given its full consideration to this matter and it is our view that the comments, as disclosed in Southampton’s letter of complaint, do not constitute misconduct under The FA’s Rules.

Consequently, The FA will not be taking any further action in relation to this matter and now considers this case to be closed.

Although I still don't understand why the club seemingly didn't include the full extent of the 'abusive language' in their letter of complaint.

Agreed. THEVMAN said that it was stronger than reported. Odd.

This has backfired then hasn't it.

Has it ? What was the objective ?

I'm guessing it was to either remove Clattenburg from officiating at our games or to make referees think twice before giving the easy decision against the team.

At the end of the day, the complaint wasn't very well presented and I think the Independent article summed up the possible reason for our action rather well. I suppose we will see how effective the complaint was next time we have Clattenburg as a referee, or for that matter - how referees handle our games going forward.

Has it ? What was the objective ?

I'm guessing it was to either remove Clattenburg from officiating at our games or to make referees think twice before giving the easy decision against the team.

At the end of the day, the complaint wasn't very well presented and I think the Independent article summed up the possible reason for our action rather well. I suppose we will see how effective the complaint was next time we have Clattenburg as a referee, or for that matter - how referees handle our games going forward.

Because for once the whole country is on Clattenburgs side and not on ours.

Because for once the whole country is on Clattenburgs side and not on ours.

I think NC and the club have never worried about being popular. Not that long ago we were classed as 'South Coast Club' in the media, now its gone totally the other direction with an OTT Southampton love fest.

It does 'seem' that the 'bigger' clubs get a better deal from referees as they tend to shout the loudest about refereeing decisions (How many years did Clattenburg go without a game at Everton ? How many years was Fergie able to almost dictate who could/couldn't come to OT ?). I think SFC want to be in that 'bigger' club category. As I mentioned above, it will all depend on how we are refereed in the future as to whether this action has back-fired or not.

I think NC and the club have never worried about being popular. Not that long ago we were classed as 'South Coast Club' in the media, now its gone totally the other direction with an OTT Southampton love fest.

It does 'seem' that the 'bigger' clubs get a better deal from referees as they tend to shout the loudest about refereeing decisions (How many years did Clattenburg go without a game at Everton ? How many years was Fergie able to almost dictate who could/couldn't come to OT ?). I think SFC want to be in that 'bigger' club category. As I mentioned above, it will all depend on how we are refereed in the future as to whether this action has back-fired or not.

Exactly. To say that things have backfired -right here, right now- is moronic.

I what was reported to have been said is what was said then I doubt the club expected anything further to be done.

I expect hey are just doing what they can to put pressure on referees just like clubs like Man Utd and Everton have done before. It's probably no coincidence that this follows the "we are too nice" statement made last week.

Who gives a monkeys about a few jokes in the press?

Well the perception seems to be that big teams can get to influence who refs them, even before we consider how their games are referreed.

Wouldn't it be fairer to introduce a jury-style challenge system?

Before the season the PL circulates the names of this season's 20-ish PL refs.

Clubs are allowed to object to two names .. all clubs big and small get to object.

Match allocations are then decided accordingly.

Any good?

(bored with it now, if Clattenberg doesn't ref us for the next 2 or 3 years, job done; if he does then once again the small clubs are being treated differently to the big boys, i'd say it's 50-50 whether we get him again next seaon, I don't think we will have him again this season).

Although I still don't understand why the club seemingly didn't include the full extent of the 'abusive language' in their letter of complaint.

Agreed. THEVMAN said that it was stronger than reported. Odd.

Love the fact that me saying something totally innocuous and obvious like "the press have seen the letter" gets you two ranting at me to prove it but you believe some gimp on the internet without question.

Maybe, just maybe you want to interrogate him a little more next time out.

You pair of jumped up little *****.

(this is a joke)

First referee appointment decision after all this and they send us the World Cup final ref...

Premier League ‏@premierleague 23m

Howard Webb has been appointed referee for Southampton v West Brom on Saturday 11 January #SOUWBA

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTD3nb8nlmvQNUACWzjFbTbrAs9vvePn_j1PgWJf7zRN47NH10F9w

Don't mess with the Don!

article-0-15E580D1000005DC-725_306x423.jpg

Nice! :D

Love the fact that me saying something totally innocuous and obvious like "the press have seen the letter" gets you two ranting at me to prove it but you believe some gimp on the internet without question.

(this is a joke)

Asking civil questions = "Ranting" :lol: (joke)

First referee appointment decision after all this and they send us the World Cup final ref...

Howard Webb has been appointed referee for Southampton v West Brom on Saturday 11 January #SOUWBA

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTD3nb8nlmvQNUACWzjFbTbrAs9vvePn_j1PgWJf7zRN47NH10F9w

Don't mess with the Don!

article-0-15E580D1000005DC-725_306x423.jpg

Is that the final where he dished out cards like sweets and then failed to send off Nigel De Jong for a karate kick?

d2ceb16562ae0c783637d2bd8fdc9739_normal.jpegBBC Solent Sport@solentsport

Referee Mark Clattenburg has been cleared by the FA of any wrongdoing over the incident involving Adam Lallana #saintsfc

In their the response the FA have said .....

"The FA has given its full consideration to this matter and it is our view that the comments, as disclosed in Southampton’s letter of complaint, do not constitute misconduct under The FA’s Rules.

They haven't done an investigation and therefore cannot have cleared him of any wrong doing.

Kangeroo Court solution finding nothing to answer to without carrying out a Full Investigation.

Lets hope a mysterious leak to The Press reveals exactly what as said.

What this shows is that the PGMOL is a closed shop and they will continue to protect there referees at all costs..

This is from the BBC

Despite their complaint being rejected, senior figures at Southampton believe it will be difficult for Clattenburg, 38, to officiate one of their games in the near future.

The club believe the situation has highlighted flaws in the existing system, with former referees, rather than an independent panel, appointed to rule on cases such as these.

Professional Game Match Officials Limited general manager Mike Riley says officials will wear recording devices, but that is yet to be implemented.

The PGMOL have come under criticism in the past about not being impartial .

as for Mr Riley

Im sure he said last season they would have recording devices for this season. So his failing just show what a **** he actually is

OH CB please grow up with your comment its not even remotely funny

(this is a joke)

Probably hot on the heels of Clusterfhuck as the worst ref we could have got.

No wins in 10 games he's reffed us .... must be loads of dodgy decisions gone against us for that to have happened. :-)

Luckily we arený playing Man U then!!

from Mike Riley in 2012

Referees such as Mark Clattenburg will soon have their conversations with players and fellow officials recorded. Photograph: Adrian Dennis/AFP/Getty Images

Mike Riley said that all match officials' conversations during games will be recorded, following the Mark Clattenburg furore.

Riley, general manager of PGMOL, the referees' body, said: "To reduce the risk of an episode of this nature being repeated PGMOL will introduce recording of the referees' communication system on a private basis."

Riley added: "We welcome the FA's announcement that Mark Clattenburg has no case to answer regarding the allegations made by Chelsea following their game against Manchester United. We would like to thank them for completing a thorough and efficient investigation in difficult circumstances.

"It is PGMOL's considered view that Mark is completely exonerated of the allegation and he will return to active duty shortly without any stain on his character or reputation. The verbal and visual facts do not support any of the allegations made against him. They make it clear that Mark did not use any inappropriate language towards any Chelsea player.

"Regrettably, Mark has had to endure four weeks that have brought massive disruption to his professional and personal life through no fault of his own. We are all relieved that this is now behind him and that he can return to doing something that he loves.

Alan Leighton, the national secretary of Prospect, the referees' union, would like Chelsea to apologise and compensate Clattenburg for what he has been through.

"There was no doubt he was innocent," he told Sky Sports News. "There are lessons to be learned. Mark is very upset that his reputation has been dragged through the mud by this process, there was no need for Chelsea to make the public aware of the allegation.

"There is also an issue of flimsiness about the evidence provided. We need Chelsea to accept the verdict, apologise to Mark and compensate him for that."

Dont see the need for recording the officials.

Let a representative of each team in the games have access and listen to the talk (without possibilities to talk to the officials obviously) and then clubs know what is said both from players and officials. Then they can also act internally in the club if players dont live up to the standards they have set in the club.

from Mike Riley in 2012

Referees such as Mark Clattenburg will soon have their conversations with players and fellow officials recorded. Photograph: Adrian Dennis/AFP/Getty Images

Mike Riley said that all match officials' conversations during games will be recorded, following the Mark Clattenburg furore.

Riley, general manager of PGMOL, the referees' body, said: "To reduce the risk of an episode of this nature being repeated PGMOL will introduce recording of the referees' communication system on a private basis."

Riley added: "We welcome the FA's announcement that Mark Clattenburg has no case to answer regarding the allegations made by Chelsea following their game against Manchester United. We would like to thank them for completing a thorough and efficient investigation in difficult circumstances.

"It is PGMOL's considered view that Mark is completely exonerated of the allegation and he will return to active duty shortly without any stain on his character or reputation. The verbal and visual facts do not support any of the allegations made against him. They make it clear that Mark did not use any inappropriate language towards any Chelsea player.

"Regrettably, Mark has had to endure four weeks that have brought massive disruption to his professional and personal life through no fault of his own. We are all relieved that this is now behind him and that he can return to doing something that he loves.

Alan Leighton, the national secretary of Prospect, the referees' union, would like Chelsea to apologise and compensate Clattenburg for what he has been through.

"There was no doubt he was innocent," he told Sky Sports News. "There are lessons to be learned. Mark is very upset that his reputation has been dragged through the mud by this process, there was no need for Chelsea to make the public aware of the allegation.

"There is also an issue of flimsiness about the evidence provided. We need Chelsea to accept the verdict, apologise to Mark and compensate him for that."

Graham Poll, on talksport, implied the recording was opposed by the PFA, and couldn't go ahead because of them.