Itchen Bridge

nta786

I don't live in Southampton, but when I go the game every week, the Itchen Bridge is a massive pis*take!

Thought I had change last time but I didn't and ended up giving away my £10 on Saturday!!

For anyone in Southampton, how ****ed off do you get by the Itchen Bridge?

My brother gives almost £10 a day cos there isn't an alternative route for him:/

I don't live in Southampton, but when I go the game every week, the Itchen Bridge is a massive pis*take!

Thought I had change last time but I didn't and ended up giving away my £10 on Saturday!!

For anyone in Southampton, how ****ed off do you get by the Itchen Bridge?

My brother gives almost £10 a day cos there isn't an alternative route for him:/

Wouldn't you have to drive over it like 20 times to pay £10 a day? 50p off peak isn't it?

If you've travelled it before, you know it's exact money/no change. It just sounds like poorly preparation; are you seriously suggesting that, knowing it costs 50p to get over the bridge, someone would 'forget' that and by some strange coincidence the lowest denomination that any occupant of the car would have on each crossing would be a note?! Sounds a bit far-fetched to me.

I use it regularly. It's a shorter route into town from Woolston/Sholing/Netley areas. I use a Southampton SmartCities Card; whack £20 a time on and just wave the card at the barrier terminal each time through. For Soton City residents this is charged at reduced prices of 30p Off Peak and 50p Peak times.

For Soton City residents this is charged at reduced prices of 30p Off Peak and 50p Peak times.

This is what annoys me about the toll. Because of the stupid boundaries those of us living east of Weston are part of Eastleigh Borough so can't get a Card. I never go to Eastleigh but am in Southampton 4 or 5 times a week.

To be fair I quite like wandering over the bridge so usually park in Garton Road and walk over.

Park Woolston and walk over

Seems pointless building a road bridge the, doesn't it? If the idea was to link the two communities, reduce congestion at Northam and bring economic benefits to Woolston then having a toll negates that. I am as certain as I can be that when it was built we were told that the tolls were only temporary until the bridge was paid for.

Seems pointless building a road bridge the, doesn't it? If the idea was to link the two communities, reduce congestion at Northam and bring economic benefits to Woolston then having a toll negates that. I am as certain as I can be that when it was built we were told that the tolls were only temporary until the bridge was paid for.

The tolls on the 'original' Dartford Tunnel (mid-60s) were set up on the premise that they would only be their till it's paid for, never happens, the tunnels and the 'new' bridge have paid for themselves many times over, the tolls haven't gone, in fact they've just gone up!

Massive **** take, either we have 'road pricing' or we don't; I'm not averse to paying a toll for a genuinely new provision and one that wouldn't otherwise wouldn't be built but once the tolls are established and the facility is paid for they never come off!

The tolls on the 'original' Dartford Tunnel (mid-60s) were set up on the premise that they would only be their till it's paid for, never happens, the tunnels and the 'new' bridge have paid for themselves many times over, the tolls haven't gone, in fact they've just gone up!

Massive **** take, either we have 'road pricing' or we don't; I'm not averse to paying a toll for a genuinely new provision and one that wouldn't otherwise wouldn't be built but once the tolls are established and the facility is paid for they never come off!

Yeah, and parking meters were supposed to pay for extra off-street parking. :rolleyes:

I don't go over it very often, but have they finished the roadworks at the soton end which caused chaos before christmas?

No, they're still going on. Part of the reason the traffic in town seemingly grinds to a halt about once every 10 days.

Now its automated, no more free travel on Christmas day or New years eve/day...

Xmas day and Boxing day were still free. They still have to employ people to monitor the bridge in the buidling across the road. I don't believe NYE and NYD was ever free was it?

Edited by Georgie

Also these stupid traffic lights they are installing by central bridge - I'm assuming these will end up being 4 way lights? If so the chaos caused when they first started the roadworks will continue once it is finished.

They claim they are doing it for cyclists safety but you can bet some cyclists will end up going through a red light or up on the pavement when the light's on red.

Also these stupid traffic lights they are installing by central bridge - I'm assuming these will end up being 4 way lights? If so the chaos caused when they first started the roadworks will continue once it is finished.

They claim they are doing it for cyclists safety but you can bet some cyclists will end up going through a red light or up on the pavement when the light's on red.

Here's what they are doing. Scroll down to the "How the junction will work" description. Someone tell me how that isn't a recipe for disaster !

2406026.jpg?type=articleLandscape

If you've travelled it before, you know it's exact money/no change. It just sounds like poorly preparation; are you seriously suggesting that, knowing it costs 50p to get over the bridge, someone would 'forget' that and by some strange coincidence the lowest denomination that any occupant of the car would have on each crossing would be a note?! Sounds a bit far-fetched to me.

I use it regularly. It's a shorter route into town from Woolston/Sholing/Netley areas. I use a Southampton SmartCities Card; whack £20 a time on and just wave the card at the barrier terminal each time through. For Soton City residents this is charged at reduced prices of 30p Off Peak and 50p Peak times.

I thought I had 50p in my car, I usually keep change but didn't have it on Saturday!

I personally find it a joke that there is still a toll, despite the fact that it has bern paid off ages ago!

I walk over the bridge now, but it irritates me giving away 2/3 quid every week to see my brother

Edited by nta786

given the number of numpties on the road who cannot get to grips with concepts such as box junctions and indication, if I were a cyclist I would be steering well clear of that for a good few months,

I'll probably just try closing my eyes and hoping for the best.

As someone who would usually encourage schemes to make cycling safer, even I am not a big fan of this particular work. I think the money could've been better spent on improving the existing roundabout with modifications on the approach down the bridge to force traffic to slow down as they approach the roundabout, better warning signage and perhaps improved cctv.

The theory behind the new crossing is fine... it means cyclists should never have to go across the traffic that is moving across the junction... but by introducing new markings and a new 'system' you are introducing complexity and unfamiliarity. People will perhaps get used to it in time, but also, importantly, it relies upon the discipline of road users to use it in the correct manner, which is the biggest problem in this country anyway... cyclists and drivers who ignore markings and priorities, and do what they want, when they want. With the selfishness and impatience that blights our roads, I fear that well-intentioned schemes such as this will never work as they do in other countries where there is more respect between different road users.

As someone who would usually encourage schemes to make cycling safer, even I am not a big fan of this particular work. I think the money could've been better spent on improving the existing roundabout with modifications on the approach down the bridge to force traffic to slow down as they approach the roundabout, better warning signage and perhaps improved cctv.

The theory behind the new crossing is fine... it means cyclists should never have to go across the traffic that is moving across the junction... but by introducing new markings and a new 'system' you are introducing complexity and unfamiliarity. People will perhaps get used to it in time, but also, importantly, it relies upon the discipline of road users to use it in the correct manner, which is the biggest problem in this country anyway... cyclists and drivers who ignore markings and priorities, and do what they want, when they want. With the selfishness and impatience that blights our roads, I fear that well-intentioned schemes such as this will never work as they do in other countries where there is more respect between different road users.

Should .... but looks like they'll have to be quick off the mark. If I understand it right a cyclist turning right off the bridge towards the stadium has to wait in the blue box at 7o'clock position? Then proceed when lights are green from Saltmarsh Rd and - unless it's 4 way lights which is going to cause massive tailbacks again - Albert Rd North. Any dawdling and they're in the way of right turning green light traffic. Same applies for any right turn from all 4 directions. Maybe there will be a green cyclist light for a few seconds before the cars get a green, safe but again extending delays.

And what are the 4 white rectangles?

Any dawdling and they're in the way of right turning green light traffic. Same applies for any right turn from all 4 directions. Maybe there will be a green cyclist light for a few seconds before the cars get a green, safe but again extending delays.

You're right in that's how it works, but (and this is where it relies on driver discipline) anyone turning right from Albert Rd North should give way to any traffic coming from Saltmarsh Road before turning...

So that's another 'should'. Hence my own reservations about this.

Not sure if lights are 4-way or not, but apparently they will be different at peak times... how I'm not sure.

And what are the 4 white rectangles?

Pedestrian islands.

I thought this comment from Hampshire Constabulary in the Consultation Report was interesting and I fully agree:

The proposal at Itchen Bridge/Central Bridge roundabout would be of benefit to more confident cyclists, however less frequent or novice cyclists could be put off by the perceived vulnerability of entering a box junction. Could some alternative method of crossing the junction also be included?

But the Council's response was (to that and other comments):

The Council have examined these comments very carefully, and on balance felt that the proposal will help to improve road safety for inexperienced cyclists when they are making right turn moves.

Time will tell.

Here's what they are doing. Scroll down to the "How the junction will work" description. Someone tell me how that isn't a recipe for disaster !

2406026.jpg?type=articleLandscape

Thanks, hadn't seen that before. Hmm looks very much like 4 way lights then! What joy. I feel sorry for the people that have to use the bridge everyday, luckily I only need to use it about 4 or 5 times a week now.

It looks like a recipe for disaster, cyclists (not all, but some) aren't going to sit & wait in those boxes, they'll be off at the first opportunity, you've only got to watch what happens at a red light. Then the driver than runs into them gets the blame, potentially ruining the lives of two families.

It looks like a recipe for disaster, cyclists (not all, but some) aren't going to sit & wait in those boxes, they'll be off at the first opportunity, you've only got to watch what happens at a red light. Then the driver than runs into them gets the blame, potentially ruining the lives of two families.

Yes, it look s right dog's dinner. The safest way is to separate cyclists and traffic completely and you'd think it would be possible with the multi-level road surfaces.

Yes, it look s right dog's dinner. The safest way is to separate cyclists and traffic completely and you'd think it would be possible with the multi-level road surfaces.

Agreed completely :) I wouldn't be surprised of an accident after it is done :/

I used to work for the council and was told that the reason why there is still a charge on Itchen bridge is to discourage people from entering Southampton from that direction. The idea was to get all in-coming traffic to come down the avenue, or M271 then in from the west.

I used to work for the council and was told that the reason why there is still a charge on Itchen bridge is to discourage people from entering Southampton from that direction. The idea was to get all in-coming traffic to come down the avenue, or M271 then in from the west.

It wouldn't surprise me. Let's just fine everybody £10 who wants to come into the city, shall we? That'll stop the bastards.

• 1 month later...

Used the now fully open new style junction for the first time this morning. Surprised to report no problems at all. Then again, not a single cyclist in sight in any of the 4 directions. So on that random survey of one, a total waste of money then.

I applaud any efforts to keep the fishy few out of our city.

Don't get me started about the itchen bridge. The fact that they were supposed to stop charging for it, once it was paid off!! I hate these money making schemes, we pay road tax for goodness sake!!

I never used it when I lived in Southampton from 1993 - 1996 and then again from 2001 - 2006, I just went over the northam bridge of cobden bridge in Bitterne.

Bloody disgrace!! :(

I take no pleasure in saying it but ......

Well that didn't take long.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11037366.Cyclist_hurt_on_new__bike_friendly_junction_/?ref=var_0

Cyclist hurt on new 'bike friendly junction' at Itchen Bridge in Southampton

11:36am Wednesday 26th February 2014 in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author By James Franklin, Political reporter

Daily Echo: Cyclist hurt on new bike friendly junction Cyclist hurt on new bike friendly junction

A CYCLIST has been injured in a collision on a newly-completed junction in Southampton.

The man was knocked off his bike by a car at the Itchen Bridge junction at 8.45am this morning.

The driver of the car drove off, and the cyclist was treated for minor injuries by paramedics at the scene.

The junction only reopened last Monday after major works to make it more cycle friendly.

It is part of a major £1.7million project to create a cycle highway from Woolston to the city centre.

Lol, thanks for clearing that up.

Seriously though, it doesn't matter what is changed at any junction anywhere in the country, there will be accidents. What the council will be looking at and hoping for, is whether it reduces the overall number over a period of time.

As I said before, I don't think a £1.7m scheme was ever going to change things massively and only time will tell - education and a change of habits from both drivers and cyclists would be needed to see a significant reduction in accidents. The first accident was always going to be highlighted more than any other and it's a bit of a cheap news story IMO. Nothing has really changed.