Tadanari Lee Released From Contract

trousers

Probably being a core component of 2 promotions, I'd have thought. You'd have to be a bit simple to think he did anything but a good job for us in the lower leagues. 19 league goals and 12 assists over 2 seasons, often as a bit part player.

First, I am not simple.

Second, reference to the words " lower leagues ", what has he done in the PL ? Sod all, the same as Lee, but given MANY more chances.

First, I am not simple.

Second, reference to the words " lower leagues ", what has he done in the PL ? Sod all, the same as Lee, but given MANY more chances.

Ah right. So your original statement of "Unlike Guly who came, tried, failed and is unfortunately given yet more chances." was only intended to cover his Premier League appearances, was it?? Riiiiiiiight.

First, I am not simple.

He has been a good squad option at Premier League level when games have needed to be closed down.

After his work to get us here I cannot understand why he is on the end of so much disdain. He has made errors but equally he has produced some wonderful and crucial goals, a genuine bargain.

Edited by Colinjb

Unlike Guly who came, tried, failed and is unfortunately given yet more chances.

Hmm

When did he fail ? Perhaps his chances came as he did a fair job, works hard in different positions, gave us vital assists and goals through our journey and maybe proved himself more on the training ground then Lee ?

Shame. I was a fan. It looked like there was genuine potential there - a good fledgling partnership with SRL, which injury curtailed, and he didn't come back the same player (plus we had moved on collectively).

I wish him all the best.

I was there for his goal against Derby!

Cracking goal it was too, felt at the time he would push on and become a decent player for us after that, but it was pretty soon after that he got that bad foot injury if I recall correctly. He never really got another chance after that.

I was there for that, in The Chapel. He hit it, we knew it was in the net we STILL ducked.

Good luck to him. Thought he could make it, but possibly like others before him lost something with the injury, I guess we will never know

First, I am not simple.

Got an assist up at Stoke iirc. Was very good in the last game he started at Spurs. Have no complaints whatsoever about Guly.

Got an assist up at Stoke iirc. Was very good in the last game he started at Spurs. Have no complaints whatsoever about Guly.

Yep, for Rickie's first with a cross I believe. He worked himself into the ground that day along with everyone else.

Thanks for the contribution you made in our rise to where we are now Tadanari ,such as the wonder goal against Derby at SMS & the assist for Rickie's goal at Leeds. Wish him well :)

Also won us a pen at Watford and set up Lallana's goal against Barnsley with a good run down the byline.

Ah right. So your original statement of "Unlike Guly who came, tried, failed and is unfortunately given yet more chances." was only intended to cover his Premier League appearances, was it?? Riiiiiiiight.

Where he's also not let anyone down when be called upon. Not a first team player now, wont even make the match day squad when everyone is fit but there are far too many bangwagon jumping helmets who just bleat out "he's sh*t" without actually engaging their brain.

Where he's also not let anyone down when be called upon. Not a first team player now, wont even make the match day squad when everyone is fit but there are far too many bangwagon jumping helmets who just bleat out "he's sh*t" without actually engaging their brain.

Even in the West Brom game when he came on there were ironic cheers when he got the ball and passed it off. The amount of simpletons that attend games at St. Mary's really defies belief on a game by game basis.

Even in the West Brom game when he came on there were ironic cheers when he got the ball and passed it off. The amount of simpletons that attend games at St. Mary's really defies belief on a game by game basis.

...Speaking probably for myself, but I genuinely cheered him out of enthusiasm, was quite pleased to see him!

I remember watching a game last season where Guly tried playing a pass to someone that was intercepted which was met with outcry, shouts of abuse from the crowd and "Guly you're sh*t" from a bloke a few rows back. About two minute later Lallana did a similar thing and it was applauded as unlucky and a good idea. Unfortunately there are so many helmets that go to games that whatever Guly does is going to be wrong. Quite what he's done to deserve it is beyond me. He was very good first half of the championship season and got something like 8 goals and 9 assists before christmas, then the dinlows got on his back and he became the villan of the piece. All i see is a decent player who has done a job wheever he's been asked to and never let anyone down. He's no world beater but he's played a big part in our progress up the leagues.

£2 million in basic wage over two years (20k per week) + a further 500k - £1m to pay up his contract.

He played 7 times for us! Thats circa £430,000 per game!!!

You assume.

And what wages would you expect a footballer to earn in this day and age? Of course he wasn't cheap compared to you or I trying to kick a ball. His assist v Leeds arguably helped us to the three points that kept West Ham at bay, the team that came up with us paid for themselves many times over.

People forget that Lee was preferred over Sharp for a run of games before he got injured. I'm not saying he was much good for Saints over the term of his stay however he still made a contribution to a team that got promoted and enabled the club to secure the Premier League money as well. You can focus on how much he earned as much as you want but compared to club income now it's been justified.

Makes sense to let him go early if his spot in the pecking order has been taken by Gallagher.

I remember watching a game last season where Guly tried playing a pass to someone that was intercepted which was met with outcry, shouts of abuse from the crowd and "Guly you're sh*t" from a bloke a few rows back. About two minute later Lallana did a similar thing and it was applauded as unlucky and a good idea. Unfortunately there are so many helmets that go to games that whatever Guly does is going to be wrong. Quite what he's done to deserve it is beyond me. He was very good first half of the championship season and got something like 8 goals and 9 assists before christmas, then the dinlows got on his back and he became the villan of the piece. All i see is a decent player who has done a job wheever he's been asked to and never let anyone down. He's no world beater but he's played a big part in our progress up the leagues.

Same thing happens to Gaston, has to do everything 100% perfectly.

Minus any merchandise he helped shift over in Japan, Glasgow will have all the figures. Ill wait for the answer.

No idea on merchandise, cant imagine it was much. Happy for someone to prove me wrong

I think it was an experiment, one that didnt work out

Im not having a go at Lee, its Nicola that dishes out the contracts. I just remember what happened to us before... Look after the pennies

Isn't the real issue we got promoted to the PL ahead of schedule?

If we had followed the 5 year plan we would have seen a lot more of Lee and Sharp and a few others maybe - that's life we achieved the PL ahead of schedule so we have a number of players on longish contracts that are now surplus to requirements whilst we had to buy in more talent to compete in the PL.

Good luck to him I hope he can secure is place in the Japanese team

The good news in this story is that the coaches must be convinced that Sam Gallagher is capable of being Premier League quality. Another step on the road to Academy talent in the first team over bought-in foreign imports should be welcome. No offence to Chung and his injury setbacks were hard to overcome, so good luck to him in finding a new club.

Guly's done nowt wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Unlike many, I don't need a whipping boy.

He hasn't done much right either though for the last few years...

On subject, Guly was the one who injured Lee. Training accident so I was led to believe?

Can't be helped though, these things happen. Just very unfortunate that it wasn't the other way around.

He hasn't done much right either though for the last few years...

On subject, Guly was the one who injured Lee. Training accident so I was led to believe?

Can't be helped though, these things happen. Just very unfortunate that it wasn't the other way around.

I thought it was an injury on holiday ? Waterski ?

But it makes perfect sense if it was guly..... Or Ramirez

Good luck to Mr Lee looked like he had real potential when he first joined us and was unlucky with injuries and how quickly we have progressed, had we spent another season in the Championship I suspect he would have done very well for us at that level st least. Hope he finds a J-League team and his form quickly so he can play at the world cup.

The Guly debate is endless and circular it seems with some people refusing to accept that he did a great job for us during our rise up the leagues and still offers an ok squad alternative at this level, yes he's not a world beater but he is a decent pro who has never moaned and always gves his best even if sometime that best is a little below the required level.

yes he's not a world beater but he is a decent pro who has never moaned and always gves his best even if sometime that best is a little below the required level.

Not true. There have been several occasions when he's looked like he couldn't give a toss and just lumbers around not doing much. Notably the home game against the skates when the only cheer he got was when he actually jumped for a ball for the first time.

Come to think of it when was the last time anyone saw Guly sprint?

Not true. There have been several occasions when he's looked like he couldn't give a toss and just lumbers around not doing much. Notably the home game against the skates when the only cheer he got was when he actually jumped for a ball for the first time.

Come to think of it when was the last time anyone saw Guly sprint?

Classic footballer in not running round like headless idiot = not trying British football fan rant. Were you one of those who slated Rasiac for his terrible work rate and moaned that he did nothing for 90 minutes bu score a tap in or two? When will football fans stop equating running around and flying into tackles with actually being good at the game? The way some people bang on you'd think we would be better off with a team full of David Pruttons who try hard and clap the fans while hoping nobody notices a complete lack of ability.

Classic footballer in not running round like headless idiot = not trying British football fan rant. Were you one of those who slated Rasiac for his terrible work rate and moaned that he did nothing for 90 minutes bu score a tap in or two? When will football fans stop equating running around and flying into tackles with actually being good at the game? The way some people bang on you'd think we would be better off with a team full of David Pruttons who try hard and clap the fans while hoping nobody notices a complete lack of ability.

Not at all.

I certainly wouldn't put myself in the Guly bashing camp either. He did a job for us and in league one and as a Saints supporter I'm very grateful for that. I'm simply saying that in my opinion after watching him in the championship (and his few brief appearances this season) he doesn't seem all that bothered any more.

• 9 months later...
Anyone know what Chungy is up to now?

Well, he's still at Urawa Red Diamonds - who he signed for after his release.

They're currently top of the J-League after 30 games, with 58 points - 3 clear of Gamba Osaka.

4 games of the season left.

He's played 30 games and scored 6 goals this season. He's their 2nd top scorer.

They're currently top of the J-League after 30 games, with 58 points - 3 clear of Gamba Osaka.

Looks very similar to what I posted. Good that we both have found the same data.

I was accused of being racist by someone on here because I said I didn't rate him. Given the way his career here panned out and his current stats in the J league is seems dorkish the racist was actually bang on.

Tbh I always agreed with you, he was never good enough. Sure he was a lovely bloke though.

Tbh I always agreed with you, he was never good enough. Sure he was a lovely bloke though.

He was the man of the moment when he arrived because he scored a decent goal and ran around a lot, so I can see why he was popular. But some of the praise he got was beyond sense. People saying he was going to be a star of the premier league and a great player, also that he was better than the players around him who weren't good enough to pick up his runs. Anyone sensible could see he was a decent championship player but little more and so it was proven.

Cheers. Amazed a team thats top has a second highest scorer with 6 in 30!