CORTESE - a personal and factual view of why Ms Liebherr was right.

Fitzhugh Fella

It's not like he's not worth it. I think he's excellent, and if you have a look at what £12m buys you these days...then he's a really good signing for that price, given his age, potential and actual ability. Looking forward to having him back.

Agree completely. How many young defensive midfielder's are there around with his potential?

I've always thought he was quality.

Wanyama - as Cardiff offered more/the same as we did, then maybe it wasn't too much or maybe we both offered too much. But ultimately it's not too much if you are happy paying the price.

The Cardiff thing is a myth, Saints got suckered in to paying too much on the illusion there was competition. He may have turned out to be worth it now - but based on proven quality at the time we overpaid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23364260

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-fc-boss-neil-lennon-5164263

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/ex-kilmarnock-boss-shiels-southampton-s-wanyama-hes-not-worth-125m-3969148

Edited by buctootim

The Cardiff thing is a myth, Saints got suckered in to paying too much on the illusion there was competition. He may have turned out to be worth it now - but based on proven quality (ie only a couple of years in the Scottish Prem) it was a risk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23364260

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-fc-boss-neil-lennon-5164263

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/ex-kilmarnock-boss-shiels-southampton-s-wanyama-hes-not-worth-125m-3969148

Those media reports are Vincent Tan's nonsense. The truth is rather different, and they didn't pull out because of the price.

I was watching the new series of the Three Musketeers of the box tonight and witnessed a startling revelation.

It instantly became clear why Cortese left us;

2i90d3a.jpg

How strange, I thought he'd grown a 'full set' to appear on the opposite channel:

jeremy_piven.png

I think Window Cleaner is close to hitting the nail......I'm totally convinced that clues to the real reason for Cortese's departure lie with the MALI group and it's apparent demise since Katharina took over...

Cortese has been involved and seen first hand what happened to the other companies after input from Katharina and I recon couldn't bear to see Southampton FC suffer the same fate so got the hell out of dodge while he could....No one gives up on 5 years hard work like that without a damned good reason, especially if they're being offered "insane" amounts of money to stay.

To say he was just too arrogant to hand over some control to the owners is laughable....Arrogant and an arshole he maybe, but he's been around the block enough times to know the deal....He only had the control he had, because Marcus insisted on it and was proved right to do so.......Na, I think it's been more a case of 'who' he was having to hand over more control too.

Personally I hope to god she sells us and damned quick...I see nothing good coming from this otherwise.

100% this. Cortese knew the "request for oversight" (PR spin btw) would soon materialise into instruction to asset strip.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

I am as hacked off as anyone about MP going and I don't give a monkeys about the book, thanks to Waterstones my outlay is covered.

I will say it yet again, with NC in charge it was always going to end in tears, it was just a question when.

There was a time Alpine when I used to respect your right to have a view, but to be honest I have joined the rest of the forum in thinking whoever devised this slogan " the internet gives the smallest mouse the biggest megaphone" had you in mind. And unlike many on here I have met you, although you were so insignificant and mouse like in real life I instantly forgot you.

lol..FF, touche and put that miserable git in his place.

In agreement with you: it was going to end badly with NC as he was obviously spending vast amounts that, long term, were not sustainable. I would rather have a sustainable club than get in he predicament we were in a few years ago. And most of the posters bleating are those that were saying 'not fair, Pompey cheated their way, blah, blah, blah'.

Now is the time for the new look board to step up to the plate and take control of the situation. Then will be the time to judge them, not now when their hands have been tied

There was a time Alpine when I used to respect your right to have a view, but to be honest I have joined the rest of the forum in thinking whoever devised this slogan " the internet gives the smallest mouse the biggest megaphone" had you in mind. And unlike many on here I have met you, although you were so insignificant and mouse like in real life I instantly forgot you.

Would you describe him, perchance, as "all fart and no sh it"?

In answer to your question DellDays

training ground that went from 15 million to 30 million

Signing players and taking out BVI loans (while many clubs were doing the same)

But also look at Pochettino's comments about needing proper, man City style investment to get to the next level: how on earth could we do that and why should be expect KL to spunk her inheritance away to satisfy clowns on here?

i loved cortese but question people need to ask is do you really think we couldve made champions league even if he had stayed? if the answer's no then although we may have held onto poch and players for a bit longer, we'd still have lost them eventually.

cortese faced a glass ceiling as well imo, he was just guilty of pushing expectations beyond that

i loved cortese but question people need to ask is do you really think we couldve made champions league even if he had stayed? if the answer's no then although we may have held onto poch and players for a bit longer, we'd still have lost them eventually.

cortese faced a glass ceiling as well imo, he was just guilty of pushing expectations beyond that

Correct. Well put.

And could have left us with a big problem if players like Wanyama and Lovren came here expecting a serious CL challenge.

Would you describe him, perchance, as "all fart and no sh it"?

it was only months later when someone else at the meeting (with Lee Hoos just after Wilde took over) said to me, do you remember the mouse in the corner who said nothing? Vaguely I said, that was Alpine Saint he said. I have been underwhelmed ever since. He talks the talk behind a keyboard but in real life a pussy cat.

why is it obvious we were spending 'vast' amounts?

Exactly, its crap, 22m pound in debt and we have just had a season within which we have made 77m in PL+tv right money alone. Hardly bank breaking. Also look at the rise in club value since our L1 days, I hardly believe that KL was that dissapointed and realistically anyone who thinks elsewise is a bit of a fool.

NC walked due to his ego being too big to release some of the reigns, nothing more.

As per the club being doomed under Cortese ? Nah, we have only ever moved forward under him. Lets see what happens in a year or so.

Exactly, its crap, 22m pound in debt and we have just had a season within which we have made 77m in PL+tv right money alone. Hardly bank breaking. Also look at the rise in club value since our L1 days, I hardly believe that KL was that dissapointed and realistically anyone who thinks elsewise is a bit of a fool.

NC walked due to his ego being too big to release some of the reigns, nothing more.

As per the club being doomed under Cortese ? Nah, we have only ever moved forward under him. Lets see what happens in a year or so.

Leeds and Pompey only ever moved forward, until the money ran out.

Cortese thought he could keep dipping his hands in Leibherr's purse, when it became clear she wasn't up for funding us to the CL Cortese jumped ship, now his w*nker manager has done the same.

Expect a few players to now as well, and it's of no fault of the current owner or chairman.

Leeds and Pompey only ever moved forward, until the money ran out.

Cortese thought he could keep dipping his hands in Leibherr's purse, when it became clear she wasn't up for funding us to the CL Cortese jumped ship, now his w*nker manager has done the same.

Expect a few players to now as well, and it's of no fault of the current owner or chairman.

cortese thought?

what if he was allowed to, after all, he was an employee

what if KL suggested that he spent spent spent and gave him the line that millions would be available

his ****** manager.!!!! wil that be ****** shaw, or ****** lallana or ****** jrod if/when they go?

you make out NC has ruined the club? from where is see it, he has left us in the best shape of my 34 year life time

cortese thought?

what if he was allowed to, after all, he was an employee

what if KL suggested that he spent spent spent and gave him the line that millions would be available

his ****** manager.!!!! wil that be ****** shaw, or ****** lallana or ****** jrod if/when they go?

you make out NC has ruined the club? from where is see it, he has left us in the best shape of my 34 year life time

I think it's naive to think the Cortese left for any other reason than money. He knew we had hit a glass ceiling and the only way through it was millions which KL obviously doesn't want to fund. Also if there was a massive war chest of cash I don't think Pochettino would have left to risk his career at Spurs.

I think it's naive to think the Cortese left for any other reason than money. He knew we had hit a glass ceiling and the only way through it was millions which KL obviously doesn't want to fund. Also if there was a massive war chest of cash I don't think Pochettino would have left to risk his career at Spurs.

Cortese left because the cash ran out, and MoPo left because of a lack of ambition yes.

There are other ways to move forward rather then the Leeds approach, and NC never went down that blueprint whilst he was here, if you stand still you end up going backwards.

Cortese left because the cash ran out, and MoPo left because of a lack of ambition yes.

There are other ways to move forward rather then the Leeds approach, and NC never went down that blueprint whilst he was here, if you stand still you end up going backwards.

Cortese admitted that we couldn't compete with the top clubs financially and said we would have to find another way to compete at the top, 'not if but how' so do we take it he couldn't and he quit as soon as the tap was turned off? So much for finding another way.

If Cortese was such a genius why didnt he tie Pochettino down to a longer contract? He no doubt still would have walked but we might have got more than a measly £2m out of it.

How do you know that MoPos doubts didnt start with NC indicating his intention to leave in October ?

Maybe it was a personal thing, and both sides felt back when he joined a longer contract wasnt needed.

Had we hit a glass ceiling? We finished 8th and there was certainly potential to advance another couple of places, provided that we added two or three players to complete the squad and kept those that we already had. And if we lost the likes of Shaw, then that money received would have had to have been invested in a decent replacement. It is arguable that we might indeed have finished 6th this season had Osvaldo been the player he was thought to be, and had Boruc and Wanyama not been injured.

Pochettino left for money, but also for personal glory, as he perceives that he can advance his reputation further at Spurs. It looks as if he has achieved that by being appointed their manager, but time will show that it was the wrong move, when he fails and is sacked ignominiously. Getting us to sixth would probably have been the better move for his long term prospects of moving to a bigger club and Spurs should realise that eventually he will use them as a stepping stone to better things if he succeeded there. But then again, arguably Spurs have reached their glass ceiling too, below the top four.

Cortese admitted that we couldn't compete with the top clubs financially and said we would have to find another way to compete at the top, 'not if but how' so do we take it he couldn't and he quit as soon as the tap was turned off? So much for finding another way.

Cant argue that he quit when KL decided she has got enough for her money and I genuinely feel thats the case. Realistically aswell we were never going to become perennial top four contenders and in reality nor will spurs or everton IMO despite their insistance of that being the next stage.

We were though (and arguably still are ATM) not far from reaching those other twos level, with a moderate investment to build on what we have and an attempt to keep together a squad thats proven it can compete until injuries and fatigue takes its toll. As I said I wouldnt mind so much if I believed that the new board were happy to attempt progression in that way, trying to become a club with an outside chance of CL qualification but I think that they either really do t know what they want or are happy with staying where they are.

As I said before bud, thats the dangerous part, regardlessof who is in charge, trying to stand still innevitably ends up in regression.

Everton are certainly reachable - They over-achieved with their playing squad this season but that can be attributed to recruiting an excellent manager in Martinez - If we can emulate them and recruit our next manager well, we can overtake them I have no doubt.

I wonder what happened to the other investors he said he had lined up, should the Liebherr family want out? I'm assuming they don't want out, but just don't have the same ambition he had, but weren't willing to sell to him

I wonder what happened to the other investors he said he had lined up, should the Liebherr family want out? I'm assuming they don't want out, but just don't have the same ambition he had, but weren't willing to sell to him

Yep, he did say a while back that if the Liebherrs wouldn't back him then he know plenty of people that would. I wonder where they are.