For a club our size can anyone name

Barry Sanchez

a less successful one?

I ask this due to the recent complete lack of respect shown by the club at actually winning something, I dont think many could complain if we put out our best side played awfully and lost as there would be no excuse. For a club our size we should unless at this stage of the season struggling in the League make the Cup a priority over the League.

So back to the point is there another club in this Country that has such fantastic support and size and yet has achieved so little in terms of silverware.

Please dont turn this into a thread about trolling etc etc as this is a genuine question that deserve merit as yesterday had shown do the club actually want to win trophies or do their priorities lie solely with the Premier League and the position we finish? If so they should be fair and honest and tell us of their intentions as we would be buying a product as they call it undr false pretences.

But what is "our size" ?

Is it the size that we all believe it to be historically, perhaps with a moderate uplift thanks to the Liebherr input , or is it the club of Cortese dreamland ?

Personally I think 6 - 10th in the Premiership is probably our realistic potential "weight", so Norwich ( one League Cup), Coventry (one FA Cup), Forest (no need to list them), Leicester ( a couple of League Cups I think).

27 top flight years - no trophies (excl the Daily Express 5-a-side) is not an impressive return, although a number of those years were of course tremendous achievements just staying where we were. Just simply does not register on the honours board.

Things are different now - stadium no longer the limiting factor, resources etc.Need to add to the honours.

We are probably between the 15th and 25th largest club in England depending on lots of factors, we are no where near that in the table for medals won. This is subject to debate but what I feel not is is the fact we have won so little for our size and when the opportunity presents itself to possibly win one we should always take it with both hands, taking 50,000-55,000 approx (an unofficial record for one clubs attendance) to the JPT says an awful lot of how this club craves success.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_England_by_major_honours_won

a less successful one?

I ask this due to the recent complete lack of respect shown by the club at actually winning something, I dont think many could complain if we put out our best side played awfully and lost as there would be no excuse. For a club our size we should unless at this stage of the season struggling in the League make the Cup a priority over the League.

So back to the point is there another club in this Country that has such fantastic support and size and yet has achieved so little in terms of silverware.

Please dont turn this into a thread about trolling etc etc as this is a genuine question that deserve merit as yesterday had shown do the club actually want to win trophies or do their priorities lie solely with the Premier League and the position we finish? If so they should be fair and honest and tell us of their intentions as we would be buying a product as they call it undr false pretences.

No. You're definitely supporting the wrong club if its success you're after.

Also surely it is about now. We had the chance to progress in the cup and we did not take it. We might then have got Wigan or Man City. I just hope that the club know what they are doing. Surely a cup run is much better for the club in the media than a couple of league positions. Also the money from a cup run is pretty good and if you get to the final all the extra merchandise they would shift is amazing.

I can only think that the club believe the 6th stop is still possible?

They did completely over spend for what they achieved in recent years!

Of course but thats another issue of responsible spending, the fact remains rightly or wrongly they won the Cup or bought it, others do it but again thats another issue, this centres on what club the size of ours has won so little, my answer is I can not think of any.

Also surely it is about now. We had the chance to progress in the cup and we did not take it. We might then have got Wigan or Man City. I just hope that the club know what they are doing. Surely a cup run is much better for the club in the media than a couple of league positions. Also the money from a cup run is pretty good and if you get to the final all the extra merchandise they would shift is amazing.

I can only think that the club believe the 6th stop is still possible?

Only 5th offers a guaranteed Europa Cup place, why not try it by winning the FA Cup.

We are probably between the 15th and 25th largest club in England depending on lots of factors, we are no where near that in the table for medals won. This is subject to debate but what I feel not is is the fact we have won so little for our size and when the opportunity presents itself to possibly win one we should always take it with both hands, taking 50,000-55,000 approx (an unofficial record for one clubs attendance) to the JPT says an awful lot of how this club craves success.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_England_by_major_honours_won

I can see this in more of an historical perspective than most Barry, but I think it is really more about consistancy than just winning cups and titles.

True, there was 1976, and the JPT (though a cheap copy of the " biggie" ) it did make a nice day out for the fans). The only time we've actually been Champions (of any League was winning the old third Division in 1959-60)..on all other occasions we came second but still got promoted.

Despite the apparant " lack of success" someone noted that (prior to 2005), our record of surviving 27 consecutive seasons in the top flight put us .. 8th in the all time history of clubs.

We can note that Arsenal have never been relegated since the current Football League inception in 1921, however they haven't " won " anything in the last 9 seasons.

Every club has it's ups-and-downs, but some never seem to come back. Remember " the mighty Leeds" of the 1970's ....and in my youth, one of the greatest clubs was ....Wolverhampton Wanderers.

I won't say too much about that team at the eastern end of the M27, :yawn:but they have some very impressive club honours - even if it is ancient history.

They may even become the first club who.... having won the League.... and the FA Cup... to be relegated from the Football League entirely.:eek:

Looking at the " great names " currently in the Prem. Everton (last trophy 1995), Aston Villa 1996.....and Newcastle..(what a cup record they have ) ..last one a trophy.. in 1969.

If we survive a few more seasons (in the Prem.) and continue to build.... we may look back at the period 2009-2013, as one of the most impressive in the history of any league club.

No Wes thats your stock answer to everything you dont like to read, why did you bother coming on here to write that? Dont post on this thread please if you are going to contribute nothing.

It isn't my stock answer to anything I don't like to read. It's my opininion that you are one of two or three serial offenders when it comes to this sort of trolling. It is also your habit to post stuff like this and then defend yourself with a pre-emptive clause that nobody is to accuse you of trolling. It really is disingenuous.

Anyway, several others have already shot down your assertion in flames with many examples.

I can see this in more of an historical perspective than most Barry, but I think it is really more about consistancy than just winning cups and titles.

True, there was 1976, and the JPT (though a cheap copy of the " biggie" ) it did make a nice day out for the fans). The only time we've actually been Champions (of any League was winning the old third Division in 1959-60)..on all other occasions we came second but still got promoted.

Despite the apparant " lack of success" someone noted that (prior to 2005), our record of surviving 27 consecutive seasons in the top flight put us .. 8th in the all time history of clubs.

We can note that Arsenal have never been relegated since the current Football League inception in 1921, however they haven't " won " anything in the last 9 seasons.

Every club has it's ups-and-downs, but some never seem to come back. Remember " the mighty Leeds" of the 1970's ....and in my youth, one of the greatest clubs was ....Wolverhampton Wanderers.

I won't say too much about that team at the eastern end of the M27, :yawn:but they have some very impressive club honours - even if it is ancient history.

They may even become the first club who.... having won the League.... and the FA Cup... to be relegated from the Football League entirely.:eek:

Looking at the " great names " currently in the Prem. Everton (last trophy 1995), Aston Villa 1996.....and Newcastle..(what a cup record they have ) ..last one a trophy.. in 1969.

If we survive a few more seasons (in the Prem.) and continue to build.... we may look back at the period 2009-2013, as one of the most impressive in the history of any league club.

All well and good but the club and its fans have memories of actually winning and being successful.

It isn't my stock answer to anything I don't like to read. It's my opininion that you are one of two or three serial offenders when it comes to this sort of trolling. It is also your habit to post stuff like this and then defend yourself with a pre-emptive clause that nobody is to accuse you of trolling. It really is disingenuous.

Anyway, several others have already shot down your assertion in flames with many examples.

Wes can you stick to the thread please, if you are not going to contribute anything once again please dont post.

Size can be measured in so many ways that it's almost impossible to match us up against another team. Of those suggested I'd say Norwich, and Stoke are the closest and they have both definitely been less successful than us in terms of time spent in the top division, although similar in terms of cups won and finals reached.

So the answer to the question is yes, there are other teams of a similar size to us that could be considered less successful.

Really? Where has anybody named a club of similar size/stature to us who has won so little? They haven't, because there isn't one, if you compile a list of the 20-30 'biggest' clubs in the country they have pretty much all won more than Saints (Norwich might be the only example but I wouldn't have them as currently as 'big' as us, or in a historical 'top 30').

Size can be measured in so many ways that it's almost impossible to match us up against another team. Of those suggested I'd say Norwich, and Stoke are the closest and they have both definitely been less successful than us in terms of time spent in the top division, although similar in terms of cups won and finals reached.

So the answer to the question is yes, there are other teams of a similar size to us that could be considered less successful.

I would say we are larger than Stoke and Norwich similar, they have won two League Cups though so maybe a bit more successful? Closest though probably.

Wes can you stick to the thread please, if you are not going to contribute anything once again please dont post.

Can we assume that you will honour that argument in future as well? You can't go on being the troll like you are and then expect everyone to confirm to your rules on the one occassion that you post something reasonable. Having said that, as usual you have your pre-formed idea anyway and so this becomes just another troll thread. The answer is quite clear that there are several other clubs with similar or worse record to ours and of similar size to us, and so your post has been answered, but as usual, you don't really like to hear that. Who should we blame for this lack of ambition? We went 75 years without an FA Cup Final appearance before Lawrie took us there in 1976, that must make the Club one of the least ambitious clubs in the country. Another 30 years and we were back, albeit in a foreign country, and now its been 9 years since a cup final appearance, most of which time we have spent outside the top flight, and even then we won a trophy, and received two runners-up trophies, not bad really. There is a lot of crap being talked on here about the club not taking yesterday seriously, well as far as I could see the team we put out was just about full strength, bard Davis and Guly, and the team we played put out their reserves almost en bloc. Some people need to get some perspective, and trolls need to wind their neck in.

Can we assume that you will honour that argument in future as well? You can't go on being the troll like you are and then expect everyone to confirm to your rules on the one occassion that you post something reasonable. Having said that, as usual you have your pre-formed idea anyway and so this becomes just another troll thread. The answer is quite clear that there are several other clubs with similar or worse record to ours and of similar size to us, and so your post has been answered, but as usual, you don't really like to hear that. Who should we blame for this lack of ambition? We went 75 years without an FA Cup Final appearance before Lawrie took us there in 1976, that must make the Club one of the least ambitious clubs in the country. Another 30 years and we were back, albeit in a foreign country, and now its been 9 years since a cup final appearance, most of which time we have spent outside the top flight, and even then we won a trophy, and received two runners-up trophies, not bad really. There is a lot of crap being talked on here about the club not taking yesterday seriously, well as far as I could see the team we put out was just about full strength, bard Davis and Guly, and the team we played put out their reserves almost en bloc. Some people need to get some perspective, and trolls need to wind their neck in.

We had an opportunity and did not fully take it by not fielding our strongest side. Would you disagree with this?

Middlesbrough are probably historically a bigger club than Southampton and have only ever won one league cup.

They have 60 top flight season to your 37. My club Sunderland has 83 and that includes a 57 season unbroken run from entering the league in 1890. We have 6 top flight titles and 2 FA Cups but have not troubled the engravers since 1973 and have not even been into Europe since then. I know a lot about under performing football clubs.;)

Middlesbrough are probably historically a bigger club than Southampton and have only ever won one league cup.

They have 60 top flight season to your 37. My club Sunderland has 83 and that includes a 57 season unbroken run from entering the league in 1890. We have 6 top flight titles and 2 FA Cups but have not troubled the engravers since 1973 and have not even been into Europe since then. I know a lot about under performing football clubs.;)

Middlesbrough is a good shout but probably a long term declining club to certain level, as it stand we are probably bigger than them due to population shift, they are getting smaller to be blunt.

Sunderland have very very good loyal fans but even they were troubled in the 80's with very low averages.

So what you want is 'Saints the global Brand'. Lets spend 100 million to secure the place we should be. After all, Chelsea did it in what, 3 weeks. And Man U, in an After noon, i recall. Not forgetting Arsenal who became successful in a commercial break.

Typical of the 'we just lost in the FA Cup and i SOOOOOOOOOOOO wanted to go to Wembly to see Saints win. It's just not fair. I'm going to shout it out to everyone then i'm going to eat wroms' type of attitude these days.

We palyed **** yesterday. Wrong team, wrong spirit, wrong kick off time, wrong location. I'm as ****ed off as the next man. It shouldn't have happened but it did!!!! So get over yourself. It was a bad day at the office.

I'll tell you about success. I took my daughter to her first game on the last day we were due to get relegated, so that she could see Saints before they didn't exist any more. We were in league 1 with minus 10, and now we are here. We have spent money, but not wisely on some, and we are 8th in the table. Revel in the fact that we HAVE a club, that we have 3, count them 3, players who have played for England, and 2-3 that are touted to be future England players. Revel in the fact that we are financially safe. revel in the fact that we have a manager who is looked on with envious eyes on what he achieves. Revel in the fact that we get congratulated ont eh way we play by those in the profession who KNOW a whole lot more about the game than you and I. Revel in the fact that we are not Portsmouth and are not in the **** that they are in. Revel in the fact that we are not Coventry with the SISU clowns in charge.

Who knows what success we have in the future. But to me, we have some success now by being here and we are not the finished article. Brighton were better than us in League 1, Reading were better than us in Championship, but where are they now?

Perhaps I measure success differently than you.

And you made me spill my coffee.

We had an opportunity and did not fully take it by not fielding our strongest side. Would you disagree with this?

What would our strongest side have been? Apparently we did field the strongest side available. Are you seriously trying to tell me that the side we fielded was not capable of winning that game? If you are seriously saying this then you are as potty as I surmise. Perfectly good team, Boruc, Fonte, Lovren, Gaston not available. We had decent chances to win, Lambert missed a complete sitter. Sunderland made 9 changes, this allowed 9 players who cannot get into the Sunderland side, you know the one that is 18th in the League, 15 points worse off than us, yet they won. Liverpool made 3 changes today, including playing their backup keeper, is anyone calling for Rodgers head to roll because he dissed the FA Cup? The reason we lost yesterday was nothing to do with fielding a weakened team. There were other factors, the main one being that Sunderland scored more goals than we did. We have failed to beat Sunderland in 4 games this season, yet some wallies on here, you amongst them, for some reason believed that our name was on the Cup this season and all we had to do was turn up and we would win and then march supremely on to the Final where we would wallop Man City 10-0. Its the ****ing FA Cup, it is a lottery, no-one plans to win it, and I don't believe anyone plans to lose in it either. Swansea and Cardiff also got knocked out this weekend, one to a Championship club, teams that are comparable in size to us. **** happens. I'm lucky that in my lifetime I've seen us win at Wembley in the FA Cup, I really don't expect that to happen again in my lifetime, but if it does, that will be great. We "waited" nearly a hundred years for the first win, who is to say it won' be that long again?

No way are Middlesborough bigger than Saints. What do they average in the Championship 16-17K?

What would our strongest side have been? Apparently we did field the strongest side available. Are you seriously trying to tell me that the side we fielded was not capable of winning that game? If you are seriously saying this then you are as potty as I surmise. Perfectly good team, Boruc, Fonte, Lovren, Gaston not available. We had decent chances to win, Lambert missed a complete sitter. Sunderland made 9 changes, this allowed 9 players who cannot get into the Sunderland side, you know the one that is 18th in the League, 15 points worse off than us, yet they won. Liverpool made 3 changes today, including playing their backup keeper, is anyone calling for Rodgers head to roll because he dissed the FA Cup? The reason we lost yesterday was nothing to do with fielding a weakened team. There were other factors, the main one being that Sunderland scored more goals than we did. We have failed to beat Sunderland in 4 games this season, yet some wallies on here, you amongst them, for some reason believed that our name was on the Cup this season and all we had to do was turn up and we would win and then march supremely on to the Final where we would wallop Man City 10-0. Its the ****ing FA Cup, it is a lottery, no-one plans to win it, and I don't believe anyone plans to lose in it either. Swansea and Cardiff also got knocked out this weekend, one to a Championship club, teams that are comparable in size to us. **** happens. I'm lucky that in my lifetime I've seen us win at Wembley in the FA Cup, I really don't expect that to happen again in my lifetime, but if it does, that will be great. We "waited" nearly a hundred years for the first win, who is to say it won' be that long again?

Why didn't we play Fonte, Schneiderlin and Rodriguez for a start, they were on the bench, an old saying in football is if you are on the bench you are fit, if not what are they doing there?

The age old question is to define precisely what counts towards a club's 'size'. You need to exactly define that word before anyone can make a meaningful judgement.

Size of ground, trophies won, average league position over the past 50 years? Fame and fanbase abroad? Strength of current first XI? Size of city/region represented?