Forgotten Nights Out in Southampton

Batman

2884620.jpg?type=articleLandscape

Saw the Stranglers in there in 1977. The place had a capacity of 1,800 but they lost control of the door and there must have been 3,000 inside. Very sweaty night, manic, memorable and sober.

I saw Half Man Half Biscuit there. Mental night.

Also worked there when Curiosity Killed the Cat played. Sh*t band, but some gorgeous wimmin there.

Friday night was for getting very p!ssed so the Frog & Frigate, or sometimes a crawl down Bevios Valley, followed by either The Escape club, or Aggies, as these were the only places you could get in wearing Jeans. I think DJ Hammy used to do Aggies sometimes.

Saturday night was for getting slightly less p!ssed & trying for a fumble/grope/bj/sh@g (classy ;) ) so start in The Bedfords, The Grapes, or The London, then onto New Yorks, Burbanks, Thursdays, Turpins (where all the aforementioned were available & where I met my future wife :?)

Love the pic of The Top Rank, I'd forgotten what it looked like.

Bit of a different tag but anyone remember the white Swan in mansbridge when it was a bikers pub. Easily got 200 bikes on a good night

I do! didnt use to go there that much - Mados at the back of the Compton Arms was my main hang out but it was great summer pub. I had a Kawasaki Z650 which the previous owner had sprayed a skeleton with a diamond in its eye and tombstone onto the tank, allegedly it had been used for smuggling LSD. The bike always attracted the interest of the Hells Angels who impressed / scared the **** out me in equal measure.

I remember a few from decades ago. Rum Runners; The Centre; Spa Tavern; The West Indian Club. And there was a club that let you in with jeans that played great 80's music, the Clash etc. which I 've forgotten the name of.

Frog and Frigate was amazing, so glad I got to experience that place before it went, never been anywhere like it since!

I also used to love the Walkabout and Ikon but I was 18-20 so I have an excuse!

Is anything happening/happened to the Frog and Frigate? Thought I might have heard a rumour it was reopening?

What is that mid-bottom end of town like for a night out these days? Around where Walkabouts etc used to be? Not been around there late on a Friday/Saturday for years, assume it's dead as anything now.

Is anything happening/happened to the Frog and Frigate? Thought I might have heard a rumour it was reopening?

What is that mid-bottom end of town like for a night out these days? Around where Walkabouts etc used to be? Not been around there late on a Friday/Saturday for years, assume it's dead as anything now.

I'd say you'd be right. I remember when I was 18-20 around 2006-8 the bottom end of town was always decent, you could guarantee Walkabout would be heaving anyway. Always dead these days.

I'd say you'd be right. I remember when I was 18-20 around 2006-8 the bottom end of town was always decent, you could guarantee Walkabout would be heaving anyway. Always dead these days.
Southampton does have a weird city centre, with a deserted chunk sort of in the middle that's dead, with Oxford Street and Bedford Place/London Road being alright at either end.

Another place, Revival I think it's called, a bit before you get to Frog and Parrot, opposite The Square Balloon mentioned in the article in the first post. Walk past it for pretty much every home game and never seen it looking even remotely occupied. How long has that been closed for?

Had some great nights at Riverside. Anyone remember the PVC brigade on alternative nights? :scared:

I used to be on the student activities committee at Tauntons college in the mid 80's, and we used to hire out Riverside for some great themed parties, and I'm sure we got the club for free if we sold over 500 tickets, which we always did. I also remember seeing the Wallace brothers a lot down The Pier in those days.

As a teenager in the 70s, it was possible to have good night out most days of the week, and we were creatures of habit.

Monday - couple of pints in the Sun Inn at the bottom of the High St (remember the old wooden clad pub) before nipping across to the Mecca ballroom on the pier.

Tuesday - Couple of beers in The Pensioners, then up to the Top Rank for Metro (upstairs, 10pm-1am, after they had kicked the youngsters out from downstairs).

Wednesday - probably the only night in. But then Sportsnight with Coleman would have had some football highlights on.

Thursday - A good night to start the weekend. During the football season, we would train, then wander up to The Ark in Townhill Park to pull some old slapper, or couple of beers in the Red Lion in Bitterne, before heading into town.

Outside of the football season, it would be beers in The Pensioners, then up to the Top Rank for magical Thursday nights. If we failed to pull, it was either a curry in Bedford Place, or our preferred burger of choice was Pat's, a van in the shadow of Arundel Towers. In later years, Fridays was the destination to throw a few shapes.

Friday night - winter months, we would come into town and start in the Palmerston (because it had a good jukebox), wander up to the Park Inn in Pound Tree Road, I remember we used the Lord Louis as a mid-point staging post before heading off to Fridays.

In the summer months, we would start in the Palmerston, and then the Park, before moving to either the Bellemoor or the Bassett, giving us an out-of-town feel, before heading back into town.

Saturday nights - we would start in the other Park Inn, at The Junction, before moving to the Pensioners and the Top Rank when it was open. When the Top Rank closed, we tended not to hit the dance floors on Saturday nights and instead continued our pub crawl, often getting down the High St as far as The Southerner, or The Queens (opposite the Dolphin hotel).

Of course, all Saturday night bets were off if you pulled on Thursday or Friday night, as you might be otherwise occupied.

It's sad the old watering holes we used that no longer exist and our social world revolved around such places. The Spa Tavern, The Running Horse (which morphed into The Wig and Pen), The Centre Inn followed by Barbarella's down the back of Arundel Towers or if you couldn't get in there, you could wobble across to the Birds' Nest.

I mentioned the Lord Louis but around the Hants & Dorset bus station you also had the Windsor Castle (if my memory serves me correctly).

Every neighbourhood had its pub(s) and if sometimes you took your life in your hands as a stranger wandering in, they invariably had a bit of life in them.

I mentioned The Ark, and earlier somebody mentioned The Saints pub in Millbrook.

But you also had The Swallow in Thornhill, The Shield & Dagger (previously mentioned) in Shirley, the Highfield was quite upmarket.

Not as a night out, but as a kid, I have memories of getting off the train at Southampton Central and walking up the road to the Hilltop Inn, if I remember, where my dad would wash away the strains of taking us brats to Bournemouth or London on the train for the day with a pint, while we stood outside with a bottle of Cream Soda and a packet of crisps with a little blue bag of salt.

Perhaps that's worthy of another thread; Pubs you stood outside of as a kid with a bottle of Coke and a packet of crisps.

Now we're talking as that opens up a whole new realm; The Red Lion in Portswood (before it became the Talking Heads), The Ship Inn at Woolston, The Swan at Woolston, The Manor House along Portsmouth Road, The Sun Inn at Weston, The Cowherds, The Eagle in Palmerston Road, The Stile Inn in Burgess Road, and those pubs which at least had a garden and a couple of swings - The Sir John Barleycorn at Cadnam, the Sportsman at West End (which had one of those Witches Hat iron carousels), the Maypole at Hedge End, the Sir Walter Tyrell.

I'm wallowing in nostalgia now, so I'd better stop before I drown.

The Pier, Simons Wine Bar, Spermbanks, The Oriental, Spa, Wig and Pen (on all dayers), the bar/restaurant in Ocean Village great in the Summer (can't remember its name), The Manor in Swanage Close, Woolston.

Happy days. Spent most of the time between the ages of 16 and 25 in a drunken stupor. Weekend started on a Thursday. Spewing on a Sunday morning before a game was a very much standard ritual.

As a teenager in the 70s, it was possible to have good night out most days of the week, and we were creatures of habit.

Monday - couple of pints in the Sun Inn at the bottom of the High St (remember the old wooden clad pub) before nipping across to the Mecca ballroom on the pier.

Tuesday - Couple of beers in The Pensioners, then up to the Top Rank for Metro (upstairs, 10pm-1am, after they had kicked the youngsters out from downstairs).

Wednesday - probably the only night in. But then Sportsnight with Coleman would have had some football highlights on.

Thursday - A good night to start the weekend. During the football season, we would train, then wander up to The Ark in Townhill Park to pull some old slapper, or couple of beers in the Red Lion in Bitterne, before heading into town.

Outside of the football season, it would be beers in The Pensioners, then up to the Top Rank for magical Thursday nights. If we failed to pull, it was either a curry in Bedford Place, or our preferred burger of choice was Pat's, a van in the shadow of Arundel Towers. In later years, Fridays was the destination to throw a few shapes.

Friday night - winter months, we would come into town and start in the Palmerston (because it had a good jukebox), wander up to the Park Inn in Pound Tree Road, I remember we used the Lord Louis as a mid-point staging post before heading off to Fridays.

In the summer months, we would start in the Palmerston, and then the Park, before moving to either the Bellemoor or the Bassett, giving us an out-of-town feel, before heading back into town.

Saturday nights - we would start in the other Park Inn, at The Junction, before moving to the Pensioners and the Top Rank when it was open. When the Top Rank closed, we tended not to hit the dance floors on Saturday nights and instead continued our pub crawl, often getting down the High St as far as The Southerner, or The Queens (opposite the Dolphin hotel).

Of course, all Saturday night bets were off if you pulled on Thursday or Friday night, as you might be otherwise occupied.

It's sad the old watering holes we used that no longer exist and our social world revolved around such places. The Spa Tavern, The Running Horse (which morphed into The Wig and Pen), The Centre Inn followed by Barbarella's down the back of Arundel Towers or if you couldn't get in there, you could wobble across to the Birds' Nest.

I mentioned the Lord Louis but around the Hants & Dorset bus station you also had the Windsor Castle (if my memory serves me correctly).

Every neighbourhood had its pub(s) and if sometimes you took your life in your hands as a stranger wandering in, they invariably had a bit of life in them.

I mentioned The Ark, and earlier somebody mentioned The Saints pub in Millbrook.

But you also had The Swallow in Thornhill, The Shield & Dagger (previously mentioned) in Shirley, the Highfield was quite upmarket.

Not as a night out, but as a kid, I have memories of getting off the train at Southampton Central and walking up the road to the Hilltop Inn, if I remember, where my dad would wash away the strains of taking us brats to Bournemouth or London on the train for the day with a pint, while we stood outside with a bottle of Cream Soda and a packet of crisps with a little blue bag of salt.

Perhaps that's worthy of another thread; Pubs you stood outside of as a kid with a bottle of Coke and a packet of crisps.

Now we're talking as that opens up a whole new realm; The Red Lion in Portswood (before it became the Talking Heads), The Ship Inn at Woolston, The Swan at Woolston, The Manor House along Portsmouth Road, The Sun Inn at Weston, The Cowherds, The Eagle in Palmerston Road, The Stile Inn in Burgess Road, and those pubs which at least had a garden and a couple of swings - The Sir John Barleycorn at Cadnam, the Sportsman at West End (which had one of those Witches Hat iron carousels), the Maypole at Hedge End, the Sir Walter Tyrell.

I'm wallowing in nostalgia now, so I'd better stop before I drown.

Good post :-) if your'e on facebook get yourself over to the soul cellar Group :-)

Tuprins not got a mention, the thursday night venue of choice for the discerning early-mid 90's 6th former. We later graduated to Simons Wine Bar, full of mid twenties-fourties ladies which as a 19-20 year old on the pull was a target rich environment.

Old Oriental, Jesters, the Pier also worth of honourable mentions.