Transfers (rumours) thread

Glasgow_Saint

It's time we started concentrating on transfers in, rather than transfers out

Some on here and the media will have you believe we only deserve to sign 2-3 players...but we need more than that.

Most of the reason we suffered in the mid part of the season and FA Cup is a lack of quality alternatives and squad depth.

With Osvaldo leaving mid season, which meant essentially we only signed 2 players in the whole of 2013 and some players contracts running down we need to do the following

- Sell Osvaldo

- Release Guly and sell Hoiveld, Yoshida and Gazzaniga

- Give new contracts to Cork, Rodriguez, Lallana, Clyne and all our young stars

- Sign a quality Goalkeeper - I like Forster from Celtic

- Sign a new squad left back...this will change to 2 left backs IF Shaw is sold

- Sign one quality centre back to partner Lovren and a young centre back to provide competition and cover

- Sign a quality attacking midfielder...ideally with pace...an attribute we are sadly missing in the side

- Sign a top quality striker...hardest thing to find...ideally a front man with pace who can hold the ball up and run the channels in order to bring the midfield into play

So overall i think we need to sign 6-7 players...not all first team...ideally 2/3 Key first team players

Thoughts??

Some on here and the media will have you believe we only deserve to sign 2-3 players...but we need more than that.

Most of the reason we suffered in the mid part of the season and FA Cup is a lack of quality alternatives and squad depth.

With Osvaldo leaving mid season, which meant essentially we only signed 2 players in the whole of 2013 and some players contracts running down we need to do the following

- Sell Osvaldo

- Sign one quality centre back to partner Lovren and a young centre back to provide competition and cover

- Sign a quality attacking midfielder...ideally with pace...an attribute we are sadly missing in the side

- Sign a top quality striker...hardest thing to find...ideally a front man with pace who can hold the ball up and run the channels in order to bring the midfield into play

So overall i think we need to sign 6-7 players...not all first team...ideally 2/3 Key first team players

Thoughts??

We don't need another lb as we have targett. For me we need cb, gk, striker and a pacy midfielder so 3 or 4 and all of them first team players.

Thoughts??

We won't sign backup players, why would we?

I think we should keep Yoshida, but we need a new CB of Lovren's quality. Yoshida and Fonte will be decent backup.

Yes, we need a new GK.

I don't think Shaw will go, but if he does, we need a new LB. Targett will provide backup.

I'm not sure we need an AM, but after Jay Rod's injury we do need some pace in the team.

Finally, yes, we definitely need another striker.

For me, priorities are GK, CB and STK, plus LB if Shaw goes.

Marshall, Caulker, Holtby and Lasogga (from Hamburg) and keep what we got except the natural outgoing ones of course. (Guly, Hooiveld etc.)

Sounds good to me, although I'll be surprised if Holtby doesn't go back to Spurs, he's been great at Fulham so far.

I'd still like to sign Dan Burn from Fulham.

Sounds good to me, although I'll be surprised if Holtby doesn't go back to Spurs, he's been great at Fulham so far.

I'd still like to sign Dan Burn from Fulham.

Me too about Holtby but they have a lot of midfielders so at least a small possibility.....otherwise we can always take Paulinho of course.. :)

But the current players will become backup players when we buy better players to replace them in the 1st team.
Which players are going tobecome back-up when we buy improvements? Fonte maybe, what about Shaw at left back? What if we don't buy an improvement on Boruc, would you still be happy with Gazzaniga or Davis as back-up?

- Sell Osvaldo

Thoughts??

What we NEED is one thing, what we GET is another

If anyone thinks we will be even Looking at Class players to improve the squad, then I think they are seriously Deluded.

We are only an Average Prem Team, with a Stadium limited to 32500 max, and cannot offer European Football, which most Top players want.

I've got a large piece of paper, so, come on, please forward the names of Saints Top Players who SAY that they will be with us Next season

(excluding Jay of course )

It's amazing that he has been sold for the exact amount we have as a short fall on the accounts for outstanding transfers. I mean it's amazing that.

But Corky and VFTT have been telling us for months that 27.5 million is the agreed price, thought it was to Chelsea though.

However Mourinho doesn't rate young players so United may well have stepped in as Buttner is iffy and Evra is going to Monaco or was it Milan. Probably look like Saintschester Utd up that way next season anyway.:rolleyes:

What we NEED is one thing, what we GET is another

If anyone thinks we will be even Looking at Class players to improve the squad, then I think they are seriously Deluded.

We are only an Average Prem Team, with a Stadium limited to 32500 max, and cannot offer European Football, which most Top players want.

I've got a large piece of paper, so, come on, please forward the names of Saints Top Players who SAY that they will be with us Next season

(excluding Jay of course )

Okay. As soon as you post the list of all those players who have said they will be leaving.

As for not 'even looking at class players to improve the squad', what do you think we are looking for?

Which players are going tobecome back-up when we buy improvements? Fonte maybe, what about Shaw at left back? What if we don't buy an improvement on Boruc, would you still be happy with Gazzaniga or Davis as back-up?

Yes, Fonte.

I mentioned Shaw in my post; if we sell him we need an adequate replacement. I believe Targett will step up to become 2nd choice LB, although Clyne can play there too.

Boruc? As I said, I think we need better, or at least a challenger. We need 2 Keepers that we'd be happy to have in goal.

Yes, Fonte.

I mentioned Shaw in my post; if we sell him we need an adequate replacement. I believe Targett will step up to become 2nd choice LB, although Clyne can play there too.

Boruc? As I said, I think we need better, or at least a challenger. We need 2 Keepers that we'd be happy to have in goal.

I guess the aim of one striker, one Centre Back and one Goalkeeper is achievable; big question if Boruc would remain settled here being 2nd choice.

I would sign 4 players. Ruddy or Foster, Caulker, Redmond & try really hard for Lukako, but i dont see that happening. Struggling for other strikers, but keep coming back to a cheeky low ball bid for Crouch. Stop laughing, i think he would fit in.

Other possibilities would be Moses, Ings, Wickham, Berahino or Michu.

James Milner and Scott Sinclair are on their way out of the Etihad according to The Guardian

Milner gets wrongly slated in my opinion. He's a very hard working player with a bit of skill. He'd fit into MP's ethos too. I can't recall the last time I saw Sinclair play.

Don't hold your breath ...... It aint gonna happen

Katharina's Dream is NOT the same as Markus's

Simple reason why Cortese walked

Source on this please? Or are you yet another 'ITK'?

I prefer to be optimistic - we'll be challenging Spurs and Everton next season :)

James Milner and Scott Sinclair are on their way out of the Etihad according to The Guardian

Scott Sinclair can get in the bin, but I'd take Milner if we could get his wages down.

Holtby would be a good signing. I do wonder what Spurs are gonna do with all these players. They can't all stay can they?

This season Chelsea have signed 12 new player and Liverpool 9

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/tables

Is it really 12? I can think of eight and some of them are kids/unused squad players:

Eto'o

Willian

Salah

Van Ginkel

Schurrle

Matic

Atsu

Schwarzer

Who else?

I think the point was that huge revamps of the first team tend not to work unless you've got ridiculous money. Even then it doesn't always play out right.

Edited by DuncanRG

Caulker from Cardiff would be my first choice CB £12-£15 mill

Would take Johnson from Sunderland as well,he has been there only decent player this season £7-£10 mill

Remy has looked very good,QPR will no doubt want serious ££ but if they fail to get promoted they may want him off the wage bill £12-£15 mill

£30 -£40 mill should do it :-/

Is it really 12? I can think of eight and some of them are kids/unused squad players:

Eto'o

Willian

Salah

Van Ginkel

Schurrle

Matic

Atsu

Schwarzer

Who else?

I think the point was that huge revamps of the first team tend not to work unless you've got ridiculous money. Even then it doesn't always play out right.

Im just here busting SWF myths to smithereens.

You have a few cherry pickers on the forum, who like to tell us things like FA cup runs means relegation and say "look at Wigan" as an example.... Ignoring the fact that only 2 FA cup winners since 1988 are no longer in the top flight (only Pompey and Wigan relegated in the years after winning the cup)

Same goes for clubs making a number of transfers... QPR and Sunderland are always put forward as examples, but the top 2 in the prem are not included despite making 12 and 9 transfers respectively.

Kurt Zouma

Mohamed Salah

Nemanja Matic

Bertrand Traoré

Christian Atsu

Samuel Eto

Willian

Stipe Perica

Cristian Cuevas

Mark Schwarzer

Marco van Ginkel

André Schürrle

Caulker from Cardiff would be my first choice CB £12-£15 mill

Caulker is incredibly average IMO. Very clumsy, poor with the ball at his feet and would no way be £12-£15m

Would take Johnson from Sunderland as well,he has been there only decent player this season £7-£10 mill

Very hot and cold, not too sure.

Remy has looked very good,QPR will no doubt want serious ££ but if they fail to get promoted they may want him off the wage bill £12-£15 mill

Remy is class but only cost QPR £8m so he would probably leave for around £6-£8m

£30 -£40 mill should do it :-/

Answers in bold

Im just here busting SWF myths to smithereens.

You have a few cherry pickers on the forum, who like to tell us things like FA cup runs means relegation and say "look at Wigan" as an example.... Ignoring the fact that only 2 FA cup winners since 1988 are no longer in the top flight (only Pompey and Wigan relegated in the years after winning the cup)

Same goes for clubs making a number of transfers... QPR and Sunderland are always put forward as examples, but the top 2 in the prem are not included despite making 12 and 9 transfers respectively.

Kurt Zouma

Mohamed Salah

Nemanja Matic

Bertrand Traoré

Christian Atsu

Samuel Eto

Willian

Stipe Perica

Cristian Cuevas

Mark Schwarzer

Marco van Ginkel

André Schürrle

Re your point about those two being the only clubs relegated after winning the fa cup note the following:

1. Go back two further years and you get 4 clubs who won and have since been relegated

2. The remaining winners in the years since have only been split between 7 clubs. They are the seven clubs above us in the league currently.

The clubs you mention Chelsea and Liverpool both needed a real overhaul this year. I'd expect that United could do with the same this year. Do you think we need an overhaul?

Answers in bold
You're right, we won't go for any of those three - but just because Remy was bought for a certain amount, that will have little or no bearing on how much he's sold for. I think he'll be in demand and might go for quite a bit.

Do you think we need an overhaul?

Thats a whole new debate. I only offered chelsea (12) and liverpool (9) as Adrian was making the below claims. . . .

* Signing 6-7 players would destroy everything good

* Can't remember the last time it worked for anyone

* 2-3 at most, Any good side should evolve like that

Liverpool and Chelsea have proved you can be succesful when buying in bulk.