Luke Shaw is the best left-back in the world

Glasgow_Saint

He's clearly not the best in the world yet, and MP's statement did not say that either

oh yeah i just read the article + ponch didn't say quite what the daily star headline said! Bloody tabloids yo!

i think he is quite good tho

he was one of my top 5 posters when i joined saintsweb! Glasgow always seemed v.happy + enjoying himself. Lately tho i detect a bitterness of tone, and some of the stuff seems a bit lazy like he's just going through the motions. I hope he is ok srsly :(

Glasgow's form has definitely mirrored that of Portsmouth over the past couple of years. :lol:

He actually used to be a decent WUM and then got drunk of some relative success.

One could say that he's the new Alpine, (who hardly seems to post nowadays...). Not me though, oh dearie me no. ;)

he was one of my top 5 posters when i joined saintsweb! Glasgow always seemed v.happy + enjoying himself. Lately tho i detect a bitterness of tone, and some of the stuff seems a bit lazy like he's just going through the motions. I hope he is ok srsly :(

Ditto. Quoting the Daily Star makes me concerned for the lad. He might even slip away to the Ugly Inside soon. Sad to watch over the past year or so.

One could say that he's the new Alpine, (who hardly seems to post nowadays...). Not me though, oh dearie me no. ;)

The joy of having them both on ignore, seriously you should try it, it's like a magic formula for improving this forum.

Glasgow's form has definitely mirrored that of Portsmouth over the past couple of years. :lol:

He actually used to be a decent WUM and then got drunk of some relative success.

Like the Skates speculating to accumulate, Glasgow had too many WUM eggs in one basket. The departure of Cortese has hit him hard - God forbid 'MoPo' should do the same.

Maybe he can turn it around in the transfer window with his ITK schtick, though the World Cup is going to limit his opportunities. He needs to rediscover his mojo quick.

Edited by shurlock

Deserves its own thread. First time a Saints player has been best in the world for his position?

Not true, Matt Busby famously said that Big Ron was the best centre forward in the world. Shaw clearly isn't the best LB in the world, probably not even the best in England, but he has potential to be so, especially when he starts scoring goals as well. Is he as good as Baines, or is he as good a LB as Coleman is a RB?

Anyway, what is your opinion Toffee Saint? Or in the style of your reference to our manager, my new moniker for you, ToSa.

Not true, Matt Busby famously said that Big Ron was the best centre forward in the world. Shaw clearly isn't the best LB in the world, probably not even the best in England, but he has potential to be so, especially when he starts scoring goals as well. Is he as good as Baines, or is he as good a LB as Coleman is a RB?

Anyway, what is your opinion Toffee Saint? Or in the style of your reference to our manager, my new moniker for you, ToSa.

That, sir, is genius.

For anyone, like myself who thought that Luke was a Chelsea fan and grew up near Cobham training ground and convinced that he'll go in summer ... Had a chat with a school friend of his ...

"Given I went to school with him, and knew him well enough (must have mentioned a few times that I used to mark him in training) until a few years ago, Cobham is not where he is from! Cobham's a good 20-30 minutes away (I just want to make sure people know I'm not from a town where Chelsea train)! The too small story is true though, and the family support.

However, his Dad is very switched on about what's best career wise, he won't just move to Chelsea because he supports them, he'd only move if he'd be a guaranteed starter. I wouldn't rule out United just yet. Still a god chance he'd spend another season at Soton too, he owes a great deal to you.

I am of an opinion that Shaw is as good Baines right now and maybe better at picking when to get forward and not to.

I also think both of our right backs are better than Johnson and Walker the two first choices for England, they both have the positional sense of a flip flop and leave the distinctly average England centre halves, whoever plays, exposed.

I thought Clyne had the potential to be as good as any full back I had seen for years but Chambers has all the same potential and I am not sure who is best

Was a palace fan on TalkSport earlier saying Ward is better than both Walker and Johnson. No idea how they're both shoe ins for the England squad personally

One plays for Liverpool, the other for Spurs. Simple really...

I am of an opinion that Shaw is as good Baines right now and maybe better at picking when to get forward and not to.

I also think both of our right backs are better than Johnson and Walker the two first choices for England, they both have the positional sense of a flip flop and leave the distinctly average England centre halves, whoever plays, exposed.

I thought Clyne had the potential to be as good as any full back I had seen for years but Chambers has all the same potential and I am not sure who is best

Glenn Johnson has done ok this season, and he's playing for a side that look like they could win the league. That said, liverpool's strengths have not really been in defence, and Johnson's best work has (as ever) come when he has been attacking. With England looking likely to be up against it in all group games, having a right back who isn't very good at defending is going to be fun.

Kyle Walker has been utterly atrocious this season and taken a real step backwards.

If Clyne had kept his place i think he could genuinely have challenged for a spot on the plane, he was definitely in Hodgson's thoughts. But the emergence of Chambers has added a new dimension, and knocked Clyne back in the England reckoning. It's also far too early for Chambers to be getting capped, he's not quite there yet and still got plenty to learn (although hugely impressive so far).

When Mopo is "quoted" you do realise that it is an interpreted quote? I.e. it has been spoken in Argentinian Spanish and converted to english. There's always going to be something "lost in translation" as they say.

FWIW its nonsense to say he is the World's best or even close. He does not even play for England- yet, regularly. Has he played against Messi/Ronaldo/Zlatan in a World Cup or champions league or any European tie? Nope. You can judge it on potential and his EPL performances and 45 minutes at Wembley if you like in which case its a very good and very strong possible with hope for the future ~ but to expand it out from there is silly without him actually doing anything. And Mopo did not even really say that - he intimated that Luke "might" be the best in his position right now for all we know. A mischievous seed of a comment motivated by - well we can all surmise as to the reasons....

My way of judging such questions is to ask the equivalent of "Show me the medals". In England alone, Shaw has nothing, Baines has got a record for taking EPL penalties but not much else whereas Ashley Cole has a museum full. The best current lb in England is Cole by that reckoning. Of course I want Luke to go to Brazil though so I think he should go as understudy to Baines. Cole should retire from internationals with dignity and footballing reputation intact.

When Mopo is "quoted" you do realise that it is an interpreted quote? I.e. it has been spoken in Argentinian Spanish and converted to english. There's always going to be something "lost in translation" as they say.

FWIW its nonsense to say he is the World's best or even close. He does not even play for England- yet, regularly. Has he played against Messi/Ronaldo/Zlatan in a World Cup or champions league or any European tie? Nope. You can judge it on potential and his EPL performances and 45 minutes at Wembley if you like in which case its a very good and very strong possible with hope for the future ~ but to expand it out from there is silly without him actually doing anything. And Mopo did not even really say that - he intimated that Luke "might" be the best in his position right now for all we know. A mischievous seed of a comment motivated by - well we can all surmise as to the reasons....

My way of judging such questions is to ask the equivalent of "Show me the medals". In England alone, Shaw has nothing, Baines has got a record for taking EPL penalties but not much else whereas Ashley Cole has a museum full. The best current lb in England is Cole by that reckoning. Of course I want Luke to go to Brazil though so I think he should go as understudy to Baines. Cole should retire from internationals with dignity and footballing reputation intact.

Ashley Cole should absolutely not retire from international football... As much as i'd like Shaw to go to Brazil I would understand the reasons for taking Cole.

I dunno you can see that Luke's hair is coming on leaps and bounds, and all credit to Ponch + the coaching team for that. If you look at what he was sporting only a couple of years ago it's clear to me that in a couple of years Shaw could easily have world class hair

luke_1564724a.jpg

Well he must be on the right track as he has just been named left back and the only Englishman in the Best Young Players in the world by Sky Italia :-) like the look of that Mitrovic up front this summer.

BkJB0mWCAAAvabe.jpg

Edited by Convict Colony
included pic

Well he must be on the right track as he has just been named left back and the only Englishman in the Best Young Players in the world by Sky Italia :-) like the look of that Mitrovic up front this summer.

mtYu7p9G_bigger.jpegSimon Peach@SimonPeach

#SaintsFC's @LukeShaw3 is the best young left-back in the world, according to @Gazzetta_it. Only Englishman on list pic.twitter.com/OuWHdFVOqo

BkJB0mWCAAAvabe.jpg:large

i bought Mitrovic on football manager + he was aces. Hopefully ponch is also playing football manager to keep up with the latest scouting infos.

The git turned me (Derby) down and went to Athletico, they won the league and he scored 35+ goals. :hunt:

This was a few seasons in, he had already gone to Arsenal.

i was v.lucky, i only bought him cos Arsene Wenger was outbid me on some player called Rondon. Arsene Wenger really loves Rondon, he signs him all the time. Ponch should maybe look at Rondon if our bid for Mitrovic falls through.

I dunno you can see that Luke's hair is coming on leaps and bounds, and all credit to Ponch + the coaching team for that. If you look at what he was sporting only a couple of years ago it's clear to me that in a couple of years Shaw could easily have world class hair

luke_1564724a.jpg

BkJB0mWCAAAvabe.jpg

Cant see much improvement in this photo, Bear.

mtYu7p9G_bigger.jpegSimon Peach@SimonPeach

#SaintsFC's @LukeShaw3 is the best young left-back in the world, according to @Gazzetta_it. Only Englishman on list pic.twitter.com/OuWHdFVOqo

BkJB0mWCAAAvabe.jpg:large

Is that Lucas Piazon, the kid at Chelsea? Heard so much about him being a future star but didn't even get a look in there. It's bizarre how not even foreign youngsters who are imported get games there. Let's sign him.

BkJB0mWCAAAvabe.jpg

Seems to be a distinct lack of movement and pace in that team.

Only Englishman in the team, I guess that depends on who Januzaj eventually decides to play for doesn't it?

Also would not be too happy with a keeper called Scuffet, Boruz' kicking is bad enough.