Genuinely not worried about next season

Restark19

And I dont think I am being positive

I doubt that we may be building largely from scratch again over the summer.

And I feel this board line-up are of a phillanthropic nature like ML (RIP) and NC were originally.

We have a sprinkling or arguably the best young talent in Europe, I can see many of them staying.

We dont really know what the board will do without the windfall that their sales would have generated.

And for me our manager is inconsistent, slightly non-commital but most of his comments have been positive in terms of him staying

Are you all actually worried about repeating the struggle we had 5-10 years ago ?

Opinions are like assholes.... Everyone has one.

We are at a crossroads, nobody really knows the ambitions of KL so only time will tell

However to keep harping back to 6-7 years ago as a reason to be "happy" is weak. Time to move on mate

I never used to have money, ive worked hard and now i do. Would i be happy if i lost all my money - just because i never used to have any? No as the past is irrelevant

We are at a crossroads, nobody really knows the ambitions of KL so only time will tell

However to keep harping back to 6-7 years ago as a reason to be "happy" is weak. Time to move on mate

I never used to have money, ive worked hard and now i do. Would i be happy if i lost all my money - just because i never used to have any? No as the past is irrelevant

Don't think he's saying you'd have to be "happy" about it. But appreciating your past and your roots is important in appreciating today.

And I dont think I am being positive

I doubt that we may be building largely from scratch again over the summer.

And I feel this board line-up are of a phillanthropic nature like ML (RIP) and NC were originally.

We have a sprinkling or arguably the best young talent in Europe, I can see many of them staying.

We dont really know what the board will do without the windfall that their sales would have generated.

And for me our manager is inconsistent, slightly non-commital but most of his comments have been positive in terms of him staying

Are you all actually worried about repeating the struggle we had 5-10 years ago ?

We are probably in the healthiest position we have been in for perhaps 20 years in my opinion. I think we may find it hard to better this season but even so would be surprised if any normal saints fan could be worried about next season. We are in good hands at last, lets enjoy it its been a long time coming.................

I wonder if man city still harp on about their league 1 days? Time to move on mate

Dont let the past hold you back

If they don't then they should. You only really only appreciate the good times when you remember how bad things were and could be again. It is reminder that losing to a top level team is not the end of the world any more than being in league 1 was the end of the world. If you don't remember what things were like in league one then you turn into the kind of @rsehole fan who thinks that what they have is some sort of right.

Edited by St_Tel49

If they don't then they should. You only really only appreciate the good times when you remember how bad things were and could be again. It is reminder that losing to a top level team is not the end of the world any more than being in league 1 was the end of the world. If you don't remember what things were like in league one then you turn into the kind of @rsehole fan who thinks that what they have is some sort of right.

“‎You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present.”

“When you live in the present, the past is forgotten & the future takes care of itself.”

“‎You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present.”

“When you live in the present, the past is forgotten & the future takes care of itself.”

"A nation that forgets its history is doomed to repeat the same mistakes"

Every club is at a crossroads or at least not far from one. Pompey are, united are, heck even Chelsea and City are only one or two steps from a change in fortune.

KL may or may not sell the club, poch could go or stay, all our players could leave.... just enjoy the now.

I have a number of man city mates who always remember and talk about the past, they say it helps them enjoy the now and all those years they worried about the future non considered they could be champions. Ever.

well said. One of the few prophetic comments posted on here. The same can be said for our club.

The euphoria we had in those first 11 games hasn't really proved to be " the new look Saints look ", and although we have contributed some sublime 45 minute periods in many games, we still haven't won some of those games that we should have.

A fully-fit eleven (like the one we started with in August) looks impressive in action, but Boruc is our only Prem. standard goalie and when he's injured..... it becomes a nightmare. Likewise with Lovren.

We are far too reliant on Adam Lallana....and although Rickie Lambert is still an enormous threat, he's no longer a 90 minute player. The Osvaldo fiasco may still come back to haunt us.

Jay Rod's injury has no " return to training " forecast, and it may take some time for him to recover his recent excellent form, and when he eventually does, his future England prospects may look very poor.

I've been amongst those who have followed the progress of our Academy talents (and continue to do so) but history shows that many of those who get to the first team- struggle to keep there places - and more often than not ....never make the required " Prem.standard ". Newcomers look good ..in a strong, successful side but to expect lads to step out of the U21s and into Prem.matches against international opposition players is too much of a challenge. They won't all turn out to be " clones " of JWP, Shaw and Lallana.

I've been a fan for over 55 years ....and as dedicated as any of you, but it would be foolish to ignore the lessons of the past. We must strengthen properly in the summer, or face a traumatic next season.

Congratulations on being the 450th person to post that quote on this forum.

Let's all look forward to someone else posting this quote next week.

Uncertainty re the position of the manager and having all of our best players (and even some kids who have hardly featured) constantly being linked with moves to other clubs must be somewhat unsettling for any fan, although as far as I'm aware only Morgan Schneiderlin has publicly hinted that he may actually want to go.

However, as long as we can minimise any losses over the summer to perhaps one or two quality players, and then reinvest any transfer fees received wisely, then I see no reason to doubt that we should do all right again next season.

Not that there any guarantees of success in this game of course ...

Uncertainty re the position of the manager and having all of our best players (and even some kids who have hardly featured) constantly being linked with moves to other clubs must be somewhat unsettling for any fan, although as far as I'm aware only Morgan Schneiderlin has publicly hinted that he may actually want to go.

However, as long as we can minimise any losses over the summer to perhaps one or two quality players, and then reinvest any transfer fees received wisely, then I see no reason to doubt that we should do all right again next season. Not that there any guarantees of success in this game of course ...[/quote

a pretty fair summary, I think. If everything goes to plan.

I am very worried indeed, they have not said they are not selling, they have not indicated at all they dont want to sell, they have made no references to actually signing players to strengthen, they have however hinted at reliance on the academy.

If you mean selling players, what bit of 'no player the manager wants to keep' do you not understand. If yuu mean the club, it's Kat's plaything and she's entitled to do with it what she wants.

If you mean selling players, what bit of 'no player the manager wants to keep' do you not understand. If yuu mean the club, it's Kat's plaything and she's entitled to do with it what she wants.

Its her plaything so that makes it all ok? At other clubs they would be asking the question of what the **** is going on? How a lack of information is seen as a positive is something only Southampton fans could do.

No player the manager wants to keep, no manager wants to lose their best players but that does not stop the club selling, dont be so naive.

I am very worried indeed, they have not said they are not selling, they have not indicated at all they dont want to sell, they have made no references to actually signing players to strengthen, they have however hinted at reliance on the academy.

"[W]e are in a position where we do not need to sell any player Mauricio wants to keep."

~ Hans Hofstetter

You believe that? Do you honestly believe that?

What's not to believe? He's just said that we're in a financial position that we don't need to sell. Not that we won't sell any of our players if the right offer comes in or if they agitate for a move, which is a relatively likely scenario IMO.

What's not to believe? He's just said that we're in a financial position that we don't need to sell. Not that we won't sell any of our players if the right offer comes in or if they agitate for a move, which is a relatively likely scenario IMO.

Does that mean we are in a position to buy quality players? I must have missed that bit? Maybe he actually refers to our players are on long term contracts so we can keep them, thats not down to our money but down to their terms and conditions, now where did he say about buying players again?

Does that mean we are in a position to buy quality players? I must have missed that bit? Maybe he actually refers to our players are on long term contracts so we can keep them, thats not down to our money but down to their terms and conditions, now where did he say about buying players again?

I have no idea what has to do with your original statement of what he actually did say.

I have no idea what has to do with your original statement of what he actually did say.

He actually didn't say much on purpose so he does not compromise himself later, otherwise he would have said it, a statement of intent as opposed to a defensive gesture of only selling if the manager needs wants to, which by the way I dont believe, where was the mention of CL football?

*Hofstetter said. .plans in place to progress the club*

....will not lead to the sale of star players such as Luke Shaw, Jay Rodriguez and Adam Lallana.

"The most important point is that we are in a position where we do not need to sell any player Mauricio [Pochettino] wants to keep," Hofstetter added.

"We have a very strong squad and we are still in a situation where we are free enough to act quickly if quick action is asked from us."

Clubs can't give guarantees, but this is as clear as you are likely to hear from club that they are not looking to sell, can buy, looking to progress not establish where they are.

For some reason there is a feeling that KL won't buy players. All our expensive signings are after her fathers death - and now she seems more interested.

If that's reason to worry think fans at all clubs would be worrying

*Hofstetter said. .plans in place to progress the club*

....will not lead to the sale of star players such as Luke Shaw, Jay Rodriguez and Adam Lallana.

"The most important point is that we are in a position where we do not need to sell any player Mauricio [Pochettino] wants to keep," Hofstetter added.

"We have a very strong squad and we are still in a situation where we are free enough to act quickly if quick action is asked from us."

Clubs can't give guarantees, but this is as clear as you are likely to hear from club that they are not looking to sell, can buy, looking to progress not establish where they are.

For some reason there is a feeling that KL won't buy players. All our expensive signings are after her fathers death - and now she seems more interested.

If that's reason to worry think fans at all clubs would be worrying

They do.

He actually didn't say much on purpose so he does not compromise himself later, otherwise he would have said it, a statement of intent as opposed to a defensive gesture of only selling if the manager needs wants to, which by the way I dont believe, where was the mention of CL football?

Well I'm not precious enough to need to be spoon fed information about exactly what we're going to do and when, so unlike you I'm not worried by what has or hasn't been said. And if there's no more mention of CL football then that's a good thing IMO, it was all empty rhetoric anyway.

I'm bit worried bout Jay Rod, I'm worried it could be 6 months before we see him again + 12 months before he's anything like the same player.

He's our top scorer yo! Big Kat is gonna have to find £10m+ to replace his 15 goals or whatever!

I'm not really worried bout anything else at the mo, except maybe ponch but I reckon he'll stay.

Well I'm not precious enough to need to be spoon fed information about exactly what we're going to do and when, so unlike you I'm not worried by what has or hasn't been said. And if there's no more mention of CL football then that's a good thing IMO, it was all empty rhetoric anyway.

It was bull**** not empty rhetoric and how we laughed at the clappers lapping it up in the same sense they choose to ignore what has NOT been said in statements of intent of lack of lately.

I'm bit worried bout Jay Rod, I'm worried it could be 6 months before we see him again + 12 months before he's anything like the same player.

He's our top scorer yo! Big Kat is gonna have to find £10m+ to replace his 15 goals or whatever!

I'm not really worried bout anything else at the mo, except maybe ponch but I reckon he'll stay.

Bear has the most relevant post on this page. BS hang your head.