Swansea Build Up Thread

teenagegsaint

interesting interview from a former player who seems to have (at least temporarily) landed on his feet.

Garry Monk is yet another example of an up-and-coming lad who DAJFU at youth level, but was denied a first team place by superior talent, and spent part of his early career with short-term loan-outs.

Although he played first team games as a 16 y.o. apprentice for Torquay, he finished up as a Saints trainee, two years later.

By the age 18, he was a regular for the Reserves (where he clocked up over 100 apps) despite time absent in - between on half-a-dozen " loan-outs " with lower League clubs to help gain experience.

His time at Saints coincided with the reign of a number of legendary centre-backs (Monkou, Dean Richards, Claus Lunderkvam and Michael Svensson) meant he was called upon only 11 times during the period 1998-2003) and he surely would have had more game-time... had he not only been selected when filling in for one of the above ...on those rare occasions they might have been injured.

Garry left Saints in 2003 and eventually signed for Swansea in 2004. Now at age 35, he has played for them in all 4 divisions at made over 200 apps. before becoming caretaker-manager in the Spring.

Having watched the interview; I think that Swansea could do worse than give him a shot at managing the club he has already given so much. Good luck Garry - but not until Monday morning !

Edited by david in sweden

interesting interview from a former player who seems to have (at least temporarily) landed on his feet.

Garry Monk is yet another example of an up-and-coming lad who DAJFU at youth level, but was denied a first team place by superior talent, and spent part of his early career with short-term loan-outs.

Although he played first team games as a 16 y.o. apprentice for Torquay, he finished up as a Saints trainee, two years later.

By the age 18, he was a regular for the Reserves (where he clocked up over 100 apps) despite time absent in - between on half-a-dozen " loan-outs " with lower League clubs to help gain experience.

His time at Saints coincided with the reign of a number of legendary centre-backs (Monkou, Dean Richards, Claus Lunderkvam and Michael Svensson) meant he was called upon only 11 times during the period 1998-2003) and he surely would have had more game-time... had he not only been selected when filling in for one of the above ...on those rare occasions they might have been injured.

Garry left Saints in 2003 and eventually signed for Swansea in 2004. Now at age 35, he has played for them in all 4 divisions at made over 200 apps. before becoming caretaker-manager in the Spring.

Having watched the interview; I think that Swansea could do worse than give him a shot at managing the club he has already given so much. Good luck Garry - but not until Monday morning !

He played in THAT final game at the Dell when MLT scored the winner v Arsenal. Top lad!

Lolz

Off course some of the Grumpy's who think it's embarrassing may have underestimated the current craze for Selfies. Not a fan of Selfies myself tbh but have to say the pics coming in to the Tag board are ROFL

Join the fun and laugh for a change gang

https://tagboard.com/sfcselfie/

BmtJyDBIEAAeSXY.jpg:large

@SouthamptonFC on the way to Swansea #sfcselfie pic.twitter.com/mCvcNlm6jd

BmtMdrMIEAA7msu.jpg:large

Do we have to register?

Yeah. I did it a few weeks ago not a problem with any of that it was quick & simple. Over here the issue I had like always was the picture was as juddery as all the others we try & use like wizwig or hahasports. Mates in UK found it perfect.

Meanwhile just for once Jordan Sibley is looking good

BmtWpM2IgAAJXbZ.jpg:medium

3KUrI26g_normal.jpeg Jordan Sibley

@jordansibley

Just arrived at the Liberty Stadium - the #sfcselfie campaign is getting lots of attention already! #saintsfc pic.twitter.com/yyCN5vKxxr

Well, what a lovely feeling. We are 8th and barring a completely unlikely scenario will finish 8th. We have a World Cup around the corner with a good chance of a couple of Saints players flying out with the squad.

Our opposition are safe so it all points to a nice friendly atmosphere, can't see the point in the players risking injury etc.

In the meantime we can enjoy the dram at the top and the bottom of the league. Happy Days !!!!

SaintsFC team vs @SwansOfficial: Boruc, Clyne, Fonte, Lovren, Shaw, Wanyama, Cork, Schneiderlin, Davis, Lallana ©, Gallagher.

substitutes : Gazzaniga (GK), Lambert, Ward-Prowse, Guly, Chambers, Hooiveld, Reed.

Finally - Cork, Morgan and Vic all in the same team! Glad to see Dyer not starting for them too, he was a menace at St Mary's.

Mostly because Danny Fox was playing. Remember on the Guardian podcast one of the journo's called it the 'worst performance' they had ever seen from a player in the Premier League. He barely got out of our half but still seemed to be caught out of position everytime.

I've always thought Morgan's good enough and intelligent enough to play a more attacking role, irrespective of how good he is at tackling. With Cork and Vic both in there to do the dirty work, it gives Morgan license to get forward. It is a team that looks strong defensively but is creatively lacking though, Lallana aside. I predict an odd goal victory either way or a 0-0 draw.

Will this see Vic in the sweeper role just ahead of the back 4? I think both Morgan and Cork have good stuff to contribute further up - Cork won the penalty at Man City. I feel sorry for Swansea's midfield today :lol:

Wonder where the goals will come from today though.

Can't we get the Everton back 4 in on emergency loan?

I think if Clyne plays as well as he did last week, we'll be alright.

I was a big fan of Guly in the Championship but he is clearly not up to PL standards and I simply cannot understand why he is on the bench. Perplexing.

What's the alternative buddy? He's never actually done anything wrong at this level, he's done the job he's asked to do every single time.