Mass "Ignore the trolls" experiment.

Ohio Saint

That's 4 as a direct result of this thread. There are others, me included, who have previously cancelled their subscription as a direct result of the lack of moderation and control of these irritating trolls, but still read between the ignores and occasionally post (thats one of my 3 posts gone which is a shame on an away match day)

I think I'll join the subscription cancellers too. I'm really quite disgusted that the response by the Mods is to just try and sweep the concerns of so many posters under the carpet. As you rightly say, the significant figure is not the number of those saying they will cancel on this thread, but the vastly greater number of those over the past year or two who have expressed the opinion that they no longer bother coming on here any more because they believe that a handful of posters have ruined the forum.

Those posters have all come out on this thread in an attempt to justify their position and to hurl their usual puerile playground abuse at those who dare to criticise them, but ultimately Steve Grant as owner of the site needs to have a long hard look at whether his inaction over this small disruptive handful will slowly but surely strangle the forum and drain the profitability out of it. It's his call.

The simplest solution if he doesn't have the guts to ban them, is at least to limit the number of posts they make per day. But I won't hold my breath that he will do anything if his response so far is anything to go by. Perhaps some of those posters are his mates.

Listen pal, You and your pals have been told to pipe down. In any other football forum this would be enough to make you STFU but there is very little moderation here anymore.

It's so invisible that posters like you are allowed to roam free and ruin 97% of threads. I know you don't think you do, I know you think you are just posting a different opinion but consensus here says that isn't the way it is perceived. Wake up and smell the coffee.

I visit other forums and this level of WUMing just isn't tolerated. Sure you get the odd post but it's quickly quelled. And it's to the benefit of the forum that not all threads are ruined. It doesn't quell debate, it doesn't mean everyone agrees, it just means threads don't get de-railed and become a personality-fest featuring you and your pals.

You know who you are. It's calculated and clinical. You are very good at what you do. I'm sure you get massive kicks out of it. I'm sure you are not saints supporters at all but some kind of cyber vermin that registers for many forums. Like a virus that attacks sites in the attempt to completely grind them into the ground through calculated and cynical thread derailment. Well done. You are succeeding. However, the fight back is on. Your time here is limited.

My advice to you and your pals is to drop your current usernames and register again... Only this time try and not be such an annoying jerks. It's the only way forward. Your current usernames are completely and unquestionably untenable.

Either that, or as someone else has already said... Get to the Lounge. This forum is 100% saints.

If I were a moderator, as soon as I smelled your BS I would swat you like a fly! Any attempts at WUMing would just be deleted.

Censorship this ain't... Just controlling the vermin.. Like you would any pest.

Keep it on topic. Keep it fair. Stop asking opposing questions with the only intent to cause a reaction. Keep it Saints.

This really is a fork in the road for this forum. I have not paid my fiver this year as I decided I no longer felt comfortable supporting this site. I suggest many others do this if they feel this forum has become tedious and boring. This would do far more to affect change if the funding for the site was drastically reduced.

And the "just ignore them" line peddled out whenever these kind of threads crop up is pointless too. The vermin are like locusts and consume vast swathes of threads. You're basically telling me to ignore almost entire threads. Pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said. :toppa:

So how are we all doing at ignoring trolls then?

Not well, judging from the length of this thread and the number of people that say they're not going to renew.

It's the wrong course of action, imo. The correct course of action has already been laid out. How do you kill something that lives off attention?

a) Cut its food source.

b) Leave the jungle entirely and never come back.

I dont think cancelling the subscriptions is the way forward.

GS will be getting off that he is the centre of attention and in the main the poster who upsets most. I had never asked the moderators to ban anyone in all the years i posted until a few months back when i raised my concerns about GS being a Skate/5th columnist.

How about us having a poll set up if GS should be banned for a month to see if the site becomes more enjoyable again. if it came out that he was to be banned it may send a message to any other who wish to destroy something good, and at the same time get rid of the Skate

Not well, judging from the length of this thread and the number of people that say they're not going to renew.

It's the wrong course of action, imo. The correct course of action has already been laid out. How do you kill something that lives off attention?

a) Cut its food source.

You miss the point. It is the WUMs that are filling up threads. I sometimes have to scroll entire pages to get to anything genuinely related. Not to mention the threads the WUMs start. I'm basically on ignore mode all the time. The forum becomes pointless.

If only half those people who have threatened to leave in the past 2 or 3 pages actually carried through with that immediately (and even better left the site altogether) this place would become a better place overnight.

The way things are going you'll get your wish soon enough.

The way things are going you'll get your wish soon enough.

I refer you back to post 295.

You can't beat a good old attention seeking post. "I'm quitting, I am. Just you watch me. I'm not paying any more. This will cause everyone to panic as I'm clearly THAT important."

It's right up there with the "Im such a simpleton that I can't just ignore that online user so instead I'm going to tell the forum that he's on my ignore list every single time he posts" brigade.

a) Cut its food source.

I'm going to agree with Pap. This thread has got to seven pages because people can't just ignore those they find irritating. It takes two to have these little internet spats and quite a few of you are as guilty as the supposed trolls of de-railing threads and causing the spats (not that you'll every admit it). I frequent a few forums on the net and they're all the same, some posters are IMO good some are IMO cocks, and all of them have threads complaining that the forum has been ruined by someone who holds a different opinion to themselves.

I think I'll join the subscription cancellers too. I'm really quite disgusted that the response by the Mods is to just try and sweep the concerns of so many posters under the carpet. As you rightly say, the significant figure is not the number of those saying they will cancel on this thread, but the vastly greater number of those over the past year or two who have expressed the opinion that they no longer bother coming on here any more because they believe that a handful of posters have ruined the forum.

Those posters have all come out on this thread in an attempt to justify their position and to hurl their usual puerile playground abuse at those who dare to criticise them, but ultimately Steve Grant as owner of the site needs to have a long hard look at whether his inaction over this small disruptive handful will slowly but surely strangle the forum and drain the profitability out of it. It's his call.

The simplest solution if he doesn't have the guts to ban them, is at least to limit the number of posts they make per day. But I won't hold my breath that he will do anything if his response so far is anything to go by. Perhaps some of those posters are his mates.

Cheerio then.

Listen pal, You and your pals have been told to pipe down. In any other football forum this would be enough to make you STFU but there is very little moderation here anymore.

It's so invisible that posters like you are allowed to roam free and ruin 97% of threads. I know you don't think you do, I know you think you are just posting a different opinion but consensus here says that isn't the way it is perceived. Wake up and smell the coffee.

I visit other forums and this level of WUMing just isn't tolerated. Sure you get the odd post but it's quickly quelled. And it's to the benefit of the forum that not all threads are ruined. It doesn't quell debate, it doesn't mean everyone agrees, it just means threads don't get de-railed and become a personality-fest featuring you and your pals.

You know who you are. It's calculated and clinical. You are very good at what you do. I'm sure you get massive kicks out of it. I'm sure you are not saints supporters at all but some kind of cyber vermin that registers for many forums. Like a virus that attacks sites in the attempt to completely grind them into the ground through calculated and cynical thread derailment. Well done. You are succeeding. However, the fight back is on. Your time here is limited.

My advice to you and your pals is to drop your current usernames and register again... Only this time try and not be such an annoying jerks. It's the only way forward. Your current usernames are completely and unquestionably untenable.

Either that, or as someone else has already said... Get to the Lounge. This forum is 100% saints.

If I were a moderator, as soon as I smelled your BS I would swat you like a fly! Any attempts at WUMing would just be deleted.

Censorship this ain't... Just controlling the vermin.. Like you would any pest.

Keep it on topic. Keep it fair. Stop asking opposing questions with the only intent to cause a reaction. Keep it Saints.

This really is a fork in the road for this forum. I have not paid my fiver this year as I decided I no longer felt comfortable supporting this site. I suggest many others do this if they feel this forum has become tedious and boring. This would do far more to affect change if the funding for the site was drastically reduced.

And the "just ignore them" line peddled out whenever these kind of threads crop up is pointless too. The vermin are like locusts and consume vast swathes of threads. You're basically telling me to ignore almost entire threads. Pointless.

Top post. Jasonb for Moderator!!

With luck, you're one of the handful who will be going if the will of the majority has any bearing on matters. As for me, I'll wait until my current subscription expires, thank you.

How do you know the will of the majority, Wes? Have you conducted polls?

and there will come a time when Granty might say f-you lot and pull the site down. The trolls would have won, the Skate in Saints clothing would be able to back and brag to all on POL that he had got the saints forum closed. Ive met Granty and Baj and they are both decent lads and to a degree rely on people to be mature. The only issue I have is that posters like Bearsy who really add humour to stressful threads get infractions and GS can intentionally either derail or inflame to suit his Pompey agenda.

IMO Turkish is never a troll, just good at throwing a grenade into a debate.

Agree. The fact that Bearsy is threatened with a ban whilst certain posters are allowed to get away with murder is farcical.

You miss the point. It is the WUMs that are filling up threads. I sometimes have to scroll entire pages to get to anything genuinely related. Not to mention the threads the WUMs start. I'm basically on ignore mode all the time. The forum becomes pointless.

Correction. Threads are ruined by:-

a) WUMs

b) whingers who cannot ignore WUMs

With luck, you're one of the handful who will be going if the will of the majority has any bearing on matters. As for me, I'll wait until my current subscription expires, thank you.

So you're starting a witch hunt to hound out members of the forum? Gosh.

Sounds like the kind of thing a troll would do.

Not like you to be a complete hypocrite, Wesbo.

Oh, actually, it is. It really is.

This is actually turning into a good news thread. The past 2 or 3 pages of resignations have been overwhelmingly most welcome.

I'm having trouble keeping up, if I'm honest.

We've gone from ignoring trolls a boycott-led witch-hunt, with the aim of getting certain posters removed.

St Chalet has already said he'll be keeping an eye on pointless repetition; a mod response which most have chosen to ignore in favour of bra-burning threats of non-renewal. I will be bookmarking this thread to see if the títs stay out when the time comes.

This is actually turning into a good news thread. The past 2 or 3 pages of resignations have been overwhelmingly most welcome.

It's not so much people trying to seek attention by saying they're leaving as it is people making a point - SG runs this presumably to make a little bit of money on the side. Barry pays £5, Glasgow pays £5, that's £10. The amount of people leaving because of them is more than that, so it doesn't take a mathematical genius to figure out that this is resulting in a loss. From a purely business point of view, banning those that are causing people to leave is profitable.

I won't be renewing either - sure, I'll still post up until my subscription ends, and I'm sure I'll still lurk around after that, but I've found it hard to try and make some headway in this place without threads being derailed by those mentioned above. Please don't string me up as an attention seeker, as that's not what I'm intending to do. It's just the only way we seem to have to make our feelings known.

I won't be renewing either - sure, I'll still post up until my subscription ends, and I'm sure I'll still lurk around after that, but I've found it hard to try and make some headway in this place without threads being derailed by those mentioned above. Please don't string me up as an attention seeker, as that's not what I'm intending to do. It's just the only way we seem to have to make our feelings known.

Sums it up perfectly for me as well.

It's not so much people trying to seek attention by saying they're leaving as it is people making a point - SG runs this presumably to make a little bit of money on the side. Barry pays £5, Glasgow pays £5, that's £10. The amount of people leaving because of them is more than that, so it doesn't take a mathematical genius to figure out that this is resulting in a loss. From a purely business point of view, banning those that are causing people to leave is profitable.

It really isn't though.

I can think of at least two others, one already mentioned on here.

1) For the love of fúcking sanity, ignore them

2) If you can't do that, then take them down with argument, mockery or whatever.

I'm reasonably sure that's not why he does it. But then I don't know. The £5 subscription came about to cover the losses that the site owners were incurring year on year. Before that there was a donation scheme.

If you don't want to pay then fine. If you don't like coming on here, then fine. But this site and it's predecessors have been around since, well, since around the time the internet got popular. It will change. Old posters will leave, others will replace them. Just don't try and be a martyr is all I'm saying.

I'm having trouble keeping up, if I'm honest.

We've gone from ignoring trolls a boycott-led witch-hunt, with the aim of getting certain posters removed.

St Chalet has already said he'll be keeping an eye on pointless repetition; a mod response which most have chosen to ignore in favour of bra-burning threats of non-renewal. I will be bookmarking this thread to see if the títs stay out when the time comes.

Long time since being called a tit:p

You are are a big boy:blush:

Not that I have ever looked.

You might be right about me being one of the tits.

Find it hard to come back for the abuse each day:mcinnes:

:(

Edited by ottery st mary

It really isn't though.

I can think of at least two others, one already mentioned on here.

1) For the love of fúcking sanity, ignore them

2) If you can't do that, then take them down with argument, mockery or whatever.

You're missing the point Pap

You have to post on here regularly to become aware that some tw ats are posting just for the reaction and therefore should be ignored. There will always be a stream of occasional or new posters who don't realise the posts aren't genuine and will respond to them. Its like trying to organise a winning synchronised swimming when half the team don't know the moves, doomed to failure.

You have to post on here regularly to become aware that some tw ats are posting just for the reaction and therefore should be ignored. There will always be a stream of occasional or new posters who don't realise the posts aren't genuine and will respond to them. Its like trying to organise a winning synchronised swimming when half the team don't know the moves, doomed to failure.

Yeah, exactly. I've not been around here for too long, and it took me about 2 seconds to figure out Barry's goals when he posts on here, but Glasgow took me a little longer. At first he seems just like a somewhat obsessive fan, and I was somewhat thrown by the friend request he sent me literally within two minutes of me joining.

Long time since being called a tit:p

You are are a big boy:blush:

Not that I have ever looked.

You might be right about me being one of the tits.

Find it hard to come back for the abuse each day:mcinnes:

:(

This is the shame of it, ottery. You're among many posters that have said you're not going to renew that I think the site would miss.

Letting them win, mush.

Yeah, exactly. I've not been around here for too long, and it took me about 2 seconds to figure out Barry's goals when he posts on here, but Glasgow took me a little longer. At first he seems just like a somewhat obsessive fan, and I was somewhat thrown by the friend request he sent me literally within two minutes of me joining.

I've been accused of missing the point a couple of times on this thread.

It slowly seems to be dawning on me. There's a concerted effort to get a couple of posters binned because people can't handle them.

To your point, Tim - it's reasonably fair, and one that could perhaps be better handled with a reputation system, but I'd argue that it evens itself out quickly. People quickly realise who posters are and why they post.

I'm sorry, quitters. You all know the cut of my jib, and should know that there's no way I'm ever going to get behind your "ban these posters or we'll leave" agenda. As CB Fry pointed out, you're using the same mob rule that you complain about in others.

You're running away because of GS and BS? FFS, a witty eleven year old could knock these clowns on their arses. They are f**king jokes who spend all of their lives trying to elicit a response from others. Isn't that a fitting enough punishment in itself? Same goes for all of them. It's impossible to read their posts without wondering what sort of sad character is behind them.

I accept that there is a problem, but the way you've gone about addressing it sucks, and I'll never respect it.

It slowly seems to be dawning on me. There's a concerted effort to get a couple of posters binned because people can't handle them.

To your point, Tim - it's reasonably fair, and one that could perhaps be better handled with a reputation system, but I'd argue that it evens itself out quickly. People quickly realise who posters are and why they post.

I'm sorry, quitters. You all know the cut of my jib, and should know that there's no way I'm ever going to get behind your "ban these posters or we'll leave" agenda. As CB Fry pointed out, you're using the same mob rule that you complain about in others.

You're running away because of GS and BS? FFS, a witty eleven year old could knock these clowns on their arses. They are f**king jokes who spend all of their lives trying to elicit a response from others. Isn't that a fitting enough punishment in itself? Same goes for all of them. It's impossible to read their posts without wondering what sort of sad character is behind them.

I accept that there is a problem, but the way you've gone about addressing it sucks, and I'll never respect it.

It's not about being able to handle them - it's about **** moderation of this site. Paying customers shouldn't have to 'handle them' - that's what moderation/site owners are for. Ignoring them should be the way forward but as others have pointed out it's the sheer number of posts on most threads (because some people can't ignore them) that makes this site unreadable half the time. I'm sure SG could do without the hassle of running this place but if it's worth it financially then he simply has to get rid of them.

Btw, interesting to look at the majority of the threads surrounding this one - conspicuous by the absence of posts from the accused. Seems like they're all drawn to this one. Zombies to a fresh carcass (good work Ohio Saint - outing them all in one fell swoop) - or maybe I've just been watching too much Walking Dead.

You're still doing it. You need to realise there is no mob, no orchestrated movement, just a bunch of individual Saints fans who mostly have never met. Mostly they come on a Saints board to chat about Saints with fellow fans and have a laugh. Its supposed to be fun. If there is someone humming and ****ing on their leg while they try to do that then why bother? Not everyone is a caped web crusader looking to take people on.

Any kind of forum is akin to a club. Its not about having the same views, its about having a fairly basic set of social skills to get on with people.

It's not about being able to handle them - it's about **** moderation of this site. Paying customers shouldn't have to 'handle them' - that's what moderation/site owners are for. Ignoring them should be the way forward but as others have pointed out it's the sheer number of posts on most threads (because some people can't ignore them) that makes this site unreadable half the time. I'm sure SG could do without the hassle of running this place but if it's worth it financially then he simply has to get rid of them.

Of course it is. This'll probably come over just as patronising as it does when I give the speech in real life, but they're not winding you up; you are. Something can only upset you if you let it.

If you believe as a paying customer you shouldn't have to deal with it, don't. If you all just bloody ignored them, there wouldn't be a problem. But that's off the menu, isn't it. Gotta moan about them, bleat about them, píss tears because someone has quoted their post and you have them on ignore. The complainers make as much, if not more noise than the complained about.

Let it slide. Their opinions don't matter.

Btw, interesting to look at the majority of the threads surrounding this one - conspicuous by the absence of posts from the accused. Seems like they're all drawn to this one. Zombies to a fresh carcass (good work Ohio Saint - outing them all in one fell swoop) - or maybe I've just been watching too much Walking Dead.

On that we agree.

You're still doing it. You need to realise there is no mob, no orchestrated movement, just a bunch of individual Saints fans who mostly have never met. Mostly they come on a Saints board to chat about Saints with fellow fans and have a laugh. Its supposed to be fun. If there is someone humming and ****ing on their leg while they try to do that then why bother? Not everyone is a caped web crusader looking to take people on.

Any kind of forum is akin to a club. Its not about having the same views, its about having a fairly basic set of social skills to get on with people.

This thread is evidence of the mob. This is where it formed. Its nascent form doesn't negate its existence. In fact, it just makes it all the more dangerous, because they don't actually know what they want. An organised and pre-meditated mob might have made a better fist of addressing the issue.

Edited by pap

Pap - don't think that many want them banned mate. They just want them to be a bit less how can we call it, "loud".

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I respect even Alpine is allowed his own view on life.

But everyone knows what is happening and some of those being discussed have from time to time changed their opinion not because of debate but because others shared it.

Posting an Opinion is what is needed for debate. Just seeing some numpty say I am ALWAYS right gets REALLY boring week in week out 20 times a day

Posting it 20 or 30 times on the same thread makes my Golf stories FAR more interesting than what is supposed to be OUR forum.

The old farts in the corner have finally found the strength to ask the loudmouths at the bar to tone it down. St Chalet has said he'll watch matters now.

The ONLY banning debate is how a selection of threads can get ruined by some and yet posters like VW who try to fight back pick up the infractions or those that are (sometimes) funny like the Bear get banned. That isn't equitable as has been pointed out.

This thread is evidence of the mob. This is where it formed. Its nascent form doesn't negate its existence. In fact, it just makes it all the more dangerous, because they don't actually know what they want. An organised and pre-meditated mob might have made a better fist of addressing the issue.

Oh dear. People who have never met expressing views with same broad themes is dangerous? You must be terrified by democracy and the forthcoming elections then.

Pap - don't think that many want them banned mate. They just want them to be a bit less how can we call it, "loud".

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I respect even Alpine is allowed his own view on life.

But everyone knows what is happening and some of those being discussed have from time to time changed their opinion not because of debate but because others shared it.

Posting an Opinion is what is needed for debate. Just seeing some numpty say I am ALWAYS right gets REALLY boring week in week out 20 times a day

Posting it 20 or 30 times on the same thread makes my Golf stories FAR more interesting than what is supposed to be OUR forum.

The old farts in the corner have finally found the strength to ask the loudmouths at the bar to tone it down. St Chalet has said he'll watch matters now.

The ONLY banning debate is how a selection of threads can get ruined by some and yet posters like VW who try to fight back pick up the infractions or those that are (sometimes) funny like the Bear get banned. That isn't equitable as has been pointed out.

Well I'm glad to hear that bans aren't being called for universally.

It's interesting you mention Alps, someone I wouldn't consider a full-time troll but certainly has his off days (match days :D). If memory serves, the amount of posts laying into Alps far outweighed his miserly match-day predictions. We also know when we've had a good game; if Alps is happy, we know we played well :)

BS and GS are generators of bullshít. I actually take greater issue with closed-circle, self-validating cliques which effectively bully opinions into submission. I also find the repetition of agenda to be a ceaseless pain in the arse. I guess I don't understand the constant need to be seen to be right, and if I had to put on my buctootim Internet Doctor's Outfit, I'd say a big part of the noisemaking is something you commonly see in people my age, men not comfy in their own skins.

I like your point about getting the loudmouths to tone it down, and as someone who has got most of my infractions on account of BS, I do have a wee bit of sympathy with that view. However, I deserved those infraction points because I should have known better. I do now.

Just to re-iterate, St. Chalet says he's going to keep an eye on pointless repetition. That's what you should take away from this thread.

Oh dear. People who have never met expressing views with same broad themes is dangerous? You must be terrified by democracy and the forthcoming elections then.

Not really. They're all committing SaintsWeb seppuku in the near future.

Well I'm glad to hear that bans aren't being called for universally.

It's interesting you mention Alps, someone I wouldn't consider a full-time troll but certainly has his off days (match days :D). If memory serves, the amount of posts laying into Alps far outweighed his miserly match-day predictions. We also know when we've had a good game; if Alps is happy, we know we played well :)

BS and GS are generators of bullshít. I actually take greater issue with closed-circle, self-validating cliques which effectively bully opinions into submission. I also find the repetition of agenda to be a ceaseless pain in the arse. I guess I don't understand the constant need to be seen to be right, and if I had to put on my buctootim Internet Doctor's Outfit, I'd say a big part of the noisemaking is something you commonly see in people my age, men not comfy in their own skins.

I like your point about getting the loudmouths to tone it down, and as someone who has got most of my infractions on account of BS, I do have a wee bit of sympathy with that view. However, I deserved those infraction points because I should have known better. I do now.

Just to re-iterate, St. Chalet says he's going to keep an eye on pointless repetition. That's what you should take away from this thread.

And hopefully that will help.

Alpine isn't a troll, he's negative but that's his prerogative - he isn't nasty and doesn't post stuff just for a rise.

And hopefully that will help.

Alpine isn't a troll, he's negative but that's his prerogative - he isn't nasty and doesn't post stuff just for a rise.

Alps can be out and out nasty.

I think it's funny.

Agree. The fact that Bearsy is threatened with a ban whilst certain posters are allowed to get away with murder is farcical.

Murder? :lol:

Didnt you join the forum just because of me "to take me down"

Now your leaving.....mmmm because of me!?

Its becoming a bit surreal :)

So in effect we have some people claiming a moral high ground by threatening to leave and yet still posting *****il their subscription expires), ironic or what? Why are you putting the moderators in an impossible position? I think you should ignore the people you wish to, dont blackmail and get on with it.

So in effect we have some people claiming a moral high ground by threatening to leave and yet still posting *****il their subscription expires), ironic or what? Why are you putting the moderators in an impossible position? I think you should ignore the people you wish to, dont blackmail and get on with it.

There types a desperate man. Someone who's time is almost up.

**** off Barry. You get your jollies by winding people up, the annoying fly at the window. You shouldnt be surprised if after a while patience runs out and you get swatted. It happened on 606 after all.