Am i the only one who thinks the club badge is naff?

OldNick

not to harp on but i do think the current badge is quite racist. I know it's prob not meant to be, but you can't be too careful in times such as these. It's probably best to change it for something less offensive.

not to harp on but i do think the current badge is quite racist. I know it's prob not meant to be, but you can't be too careful in times such as these. It's probably best to change it for something less offensive.

Go on Bear, tell us the story about the badge being designed after your dad’s green afro again – it makes me chuckle.

Interesting response, and it seems I am the onlyerson who thinks its naff. I suspect it is the ball scarf and halo that makes it look a bit amateur but I respect that the majority like it and so have to accept it.

Here is somebody else who doesn't like our Club Badge ..... ..https://twitter.com/Sporting_Appts/status/463684422546386944/photo/1 ... Sporting Appointments has 19 Club badges missing 1 ....It must be a skate because he has got "t" before "s" as well.

I'd agree with this.

I don't know why our badge would have included a 'New Forest' tree, this football club represents my city not something nearby, maybe we could chuck a star and crescent on there too. I'd have thought the tree represented city's parks if anything but it would have been far more significant to have had a ship on it instead, there's nothing people around the world associate more with Southampton than the port. Maybe it should have shown a grungy old docker :p

Personally I'd ditch the lot other than the ball and halo and do something around that.

The eastern edge of the forest is well within the SO postcode! Many on the waterside would resent those comments ;)

Would be happy to loose the ball and the scarf. Playing football and having supporters are hardly unique to our club.

The arsenal badge evolution was an excellent example of how to modernise.

_1795444_new_arsenal_crest_300.jpg

All in all, I say don't change it because I don't have faith in them to do a good job.

That is vile. It looks like a primary school version of what was a fairly decent badge.

Also, to those saying our tree = New Forest ... isn't the tree representing the common?? That's what I was led to believe anyway!

All football badges are a bit naff if you look at them from a non-supporters point of view. For instance, there are a few continental clubs (eg AC Milan) which have the English flag St George cross on them but the Italians aren't complaining. It shows a history of the club and its their badge and they don't want to change it even though its part English. We should think the same about our badge. Its our badge and thats it. End of story!

Would be happy to loose the ball and the scarf. Playing football and having supporters are hardly unique to our club.

The arsenal badge evolution was an excellent example of how to modernise.

_1795444_new_arsenal_crest_300.jpg

All in all, I say don't change it because I don't have faith in them to do a good job.

This should be the Italian badge. Shooting one way til the going gets tough, then changing sides and shooting the other way.

I have always felt the club badge is a bit comical and naff, time to change it IMO

Completely agree, it's a tinpot badge. That being said, the mono colour gold/silver looks very modern and professional but sadly all these whinging traditionalists have made such a fuss that it will remain as it is and keep us in stripes.

Just had a look and I see Palace did consult their fans with options through the design process, which feels like the way to go. Our previous business mastermind may not have gone for that, but I am sure the new team would do.

I love it. as many have said, people know its us even if it didnt say southampton across the bottom. I really like the white monochrome on the away kit this year, very modern. this is probably the best and most acceptable 'improvement'. Not a fan of the gold one though.

when we changed the ball to look like the 80/90s ball was not the best upgrade IMO.

I have always felt the club badge is a bit comical and naff, time to change it IMO

We have one of the strongest, colourful, liveliest and most identifiable logos in the Premiership.

Compare to Fulham (r.i.p) for example. Heaven help us if you want something minimalist and 'modern'

The scarfs, the Hampshire connections and all the components uniquely identify the club as much as stripes do. Keep it.

Just had a look and I see Palace did consult their fans with options through the design process, which feels like the way to go. Our previous business mastermind may not have gone for that, but I am sure the new team would do.

Heaven help us

Interesting response, and it seems I am the onlyerson who thinks its naff. I suspect it is the ball scarf and halo that makes it look a bit amateur but I respect that the majority like it and so have to accept it.

Hooray

We have one of the strongest, colourful, liveliest and most identifiable logos in the Premiership.

Compare to Fulham (r.i.p) for example. Heaven help us if you want something minimalist and 'modern'

The scarfs, the Hampshire connections and all the components uniquely identify the club as much as stripes do. Keep it.

it still is naff

I have always thought that our badge was one of the best looking and well designed of any that are out there. Very distinctive, linked to the city and colourful. I absolutely love it and would hate for it to be changed to much.

That is vile. It looks like a primary school version of what was a fairly decent badge.

Also, to those saying our tree = New Forest ... isn't the tree representing the common?? That's what I was led to believe anyway!

I believe the water represents the Solent, Test and Itchen; the tree then represents the New Forest and the common (which is a preserved bit of forest in the middle of the city...)

The rest is obvious, if the above wasn't..

The Tree actually represents the Dell - a small wooded valley or hollow

That's how i remember the description when it was thrust on us.

God, i nearly cried when i saw that monstrosity for the first time. And with the old ball it wasn't even as bad as it now....The monochrome treatment worked wonders for it though, shame it doesn't look like we'll be keeping that style though.

I wouldn't necessarily be against a new design, especially to something closer to the city crest. But when you look at how appallingly many badges have been modernized - Arsenal, Leeds, Fulham, Newcastle, Stoke, Aston Villa, QPR, Reading for example the balance of risk must be with staying with what we have. That said, there are some lovely badges out there - such as Sunderland, Swansea, Spurs and West Ham.

If the fans trust from down the road had put forward a badge with a friggin scarf a ball as a head and a halo in such an amateur kids school project look we would be rolling in the aisles. Stand back and look and it is almost comical it is so bad. The shield part is passable but the bit on top!!!

It was changed after a competition open to all supporters and the winning design was penned by an adult, and despite its age it says everything about who we are and where we are from and as has been said already it is immediately recognisable. In the grand scheme of things it is an established brand identity, have Coca Cola, Ford, etc changed their badging: nope. Will they: nope.

I have friends and acquaintances who support an array of football teams (including our fishy friends) and in all my life as a Saints fan has anyone said "that club badge of yours is a bit rubbish", in fact it has started football conversations with complete strangers just through people seeing it on the old iPhone case my daughter gave me or even this week playing golf on the Algarve a complete stranger spotted my Saints crested boot bag on the buggy in the car park and felt the urge to comment on what a good season we have had.

It ain't broke, so no need to fix it.

To the OP, no - not on this evidence.

However, I like the badge, hate this minimalist shít that a lot of other clubs seem to be going for.

We're a football club with over 125 years of history, not a schizophrenic design agency trying to rebrand itself in the vain hope that someone will notice.

My vote is to keep it, or update it to reflect the fact we're no longer at the Dell - same badge - maybe slightly different symbolism.

To the OP, no - not on this evidence.

However, I like the badge, hate this minimalist shít that a lot of other clubs seem to be going for.

We're a football club with over 125 years of history, not a schizophrenic design agency trying to rebrand itself in the vain hope that someone will notice.

My vote is to keep it, or update it to reflect the fact we're no longer at the Dell - same badge - maybe slightly different symbolism.

125 year old club with a 40 year old badge.

I still think a ship would have been preferable to a tree,

stick it on the right shirt and it would be luvverly. IMO ,of course.

300urzp.jpg

if your going try to modernise the badge at least put a silhouette of one of the Queens on there not some scurvy ridden wind powered creaking lump of Oak!! ;)

................ Or possibly a Container ship!

I still think a ship would have been preferable to a tree,

stick it on the right shirt and it would be luvverly. IMO ,of course.

300urzp.jpg

I like that except for the old ship, we couldnt have the Titantic but a liner

Keep the badge as it is. Best club badge in England. Hands off my halo and tree and water and all that.

Mess with the badge, SFC, and you will unleash a fury unbeknownst in sport with the possible exception of the 'Hull Tigers' debacle.

if your going try to modernise the badge at least put a silhouette of one of the Queens on there not some scurvy ridden wind powered creaking lump of Oak!! ;)

................ Or possibly a Container ship!

I like that except for the old ship, we couldnt have the Titantic but a liner

Went for a bit of history, Southampton has been a major working port since the middle ages, thought it was a bit more romantic than a container ship :p