A meeting with Ralph Krueger

Fitzhugh Fella

Do we need another thread devolving into pointless arguments? I'm sure you two can sort this out privately or just resist the urge to reply. Debate, fine, but you're just chucking insults at each other now.

Thanks for the info FF, it's good to hear. The media are trying their best to sell our whole squad, but this is very comforting!

Christ I hope I haven't given false hope but I just got the impression RK means what he says. When KL came back I thought for a while it was to oversee the selling of the club but I am convinced that is now not the case. From what I heard today she was deeply concerned with the direction the club was heading under NC and so she appointed a man who is very much the antithesis of his predecessor. NC was quite prepared to spend but not concentrate on revenue so much. Whilst as fans we all love splashing the cash, the reality is if you can't generate funds sooner or later the "spend your way to glory" policy becomes untenable. NC's spending was bordering on the reckless, especially as he couldn't really give a damn about bringing money in. That's my reading of it, albeit it sometimes (but not always) reading between the lines.

Do we need another thread devolving into pointless arguments? I'm sure you two can sort this out privately or just resist the urge to reply. Debate, fine, but you're just chucking insults at each other now.

Thanks for the info FF, it's good to hear. The media are trying their best to sell our whole squad, but this is very comforting!

So here we have a thread that should be exactly what this site is about. Some useful insight and information from inside the club. Essentially the kind of thread that as a fan I look out for. Seeing it starting to break down to the usual insulting replies and personal digs is slightly irritating. I can well imagine that to moderate on this forum must be difficult, no doubt at all but it seems so obvious that some of the posters are clearly just being insulting and personal in their comments. Can these posters be dealt with please. It would just raise the forum from the school play ground.

There is no doubt to reach the next level we need it increase our income substantially. We have had a good pay off this season but so has everyone else in the Premier and for me it will just mean increased (inflated) transfer fees and wages. We need to increase our commercial income not only at home but also abroad. Cortese developed the "Southampton way" on the pitch but little else. The new team of Directors have inherited that higher profile and it up to them to capitalise outside the club. I am cautiously optimistic like Duncan. They look a focused team.

Fair play rules may restrict our transfers and there is no doubt there is better value in British players but will they, as additions to the squad, have enough flair and skill to lift us to the next level? We may have to sell to improve but at the same time that will weaken what we already have. A catch 22 situation faced by all but the top 5 or 6 established teams with high overseas exposure and income.

For me, I hope next season is a chance to consolidate with the same Manager and Players with some additions to expand our small squad. 7th or 8th next season with the same flair of play will suite me.

We have a brand. Let's not dilute it next season.

Christ I hope I haven't given false hope but I just got the impression RK means what he says. When KL came back I thought for a while it was to oversee the selling of the club but I am convinced that is now not the case. From what I heard today she was deeply concerned with the direction the club was heading under NC and so she appointed a man who is very much the antithesis of his predecessor. NC was quite prepared to spend but not concentrate on revenue so much. Whilst as fans we all love splashing the cash, the reality is if you can't generate funds sooner or later the "spend your way to glory" policy becomes untenable. NC's spending was bordering on the reckless, especially as he couldn't really give a damn about bringing money in. That's my reading of it, albeit it sometimes (but not always) reading between the lines.

Agree that NC didn't focus enough on the revenue side and it could give off the appearance of wanton empire-building, though it could be argued that success on the pitch remains the best way to generate a real increase in revenue -the rest is the equivalent of looking for loose change down the back of the couch.

The idea that spending under NC was reckless is a complete myth - our balance sheet is one of the healthiest in the league, even after taking account of various cash injections. As a local historian with a supposed understanding of precedent, would have expected more from you.

Edited by shurlock

No but he told us in ice hockey they rotate players so quickly all the time on of the things that struck him when watching Saints was how little the manager has to do in comparison.

This comment is interesting because last night when talking to him about MP, Ralph was also keen to emphasise that its the players who actually get the results on the pitch and that we have a great group of players.

Whilst this is completely true, it is notable how much improvement MP has gained from many players, certainly getting them to perform at a level above what they demonstrated under Adkins.

I hope he doesn't underestimate how much impact a Manager has.

FF - was Pochettino's situation specifically discussed at all?

I've said my piece to the gullible old soak, so I won't carry on.

The opening post was great to read.

We're a club with soul, and loads to be proud of.

What will be will be, and if we are hovering around tenth or eleventh (the shame of it) next season I won't be weeping into my beer like some of the delusionals on here.

I'd be happier if we got worst next season if anything. The further we are away from European places, the more comfortable I am. There are a few Cortese hangovers lingering around like Pochettino and players who believe they can play in Europe. The sooner they all bugger off, the more chance we have of a 100% return to the mid-sized plucky provincial club we are used to.

That amber nectar is going to be so so sweet.

Would like to take this feedback at face value, but sounds to me like all the right buttons were being pressed intentionally.

Anyway, actions speak louder than words. Let's see some, preferably starting on Monday (though apparently it always has to wait until after the World Cup..)

So the WC will be our excuse this year ? Saints have a very frustrating habit of failing to sign key players until September and missing out on strenghtening in key positions.

Which bits are reassuring? The return to stripes within an unspecified timeframe or the bit about him being really nice?

I was thinking the same. He's obviously quite charismatic, and like Fitzhugh's books. But really, "A keenness to get to the heart of what makes the city click ... In what way? "He is desperate to engage the community" Ok? Seems a little vague.

Oh, and also more British footballers will sign, those foreign chaps may be talented but don't know how the city ticks or something.

He cut's an impressive figure though so no worries.

I'd be happier if we got worst next season if anything. The further we are away from European places, the more comfortable I am. There are a few Cortese hangovers lingering around like Pochettino and players who believe they can play in Europe. The sooner they all bugger off, the more chance we have of a 100% return to the mid-sized plucky provincial club we are used to.

Quite an odd wish, but fill your boots.

I fully expect us to be challenging for fourth place because some Italian said we would on Sky Sports. Or there will be hell to pay, I can tell ya.

This comment is interesting because last night when talking to him about MP, Ralph was also keen to emphasise that its the players who actually get the results on the pitch and that we have a great group of players.

Whilst this is completely true, it is notable how much improvement MP has gained from many players, certainly getting them to perform at a level above what they demonstrated under Adkins.

I hope he doesn't underestimate how much impact a Manager has.

FF - was Pochettino's situation specifically discussed at all?

God No - everything was very vague, he was just explaining the differences - as he saw it - between the two sports.

Fair play rules may restrict our transfers and there is no doubt there is better value in British players but will they, as additions to the squad, have enough flair and skill to lift us to the next level?

I would hotly dispute that statement. The oft-mentioned "English premium" is a real thing, there are very few bargains to be had in signings made between two Premier League clubs, whether those players are British or otherwise, because selling clubs are so terrified that selling somebody for what would be perceived as a relatively low price could backfire on them (either he helps the buying club to success or the selling club falls away) and buying clubs are desperate to sign players with Premier League experience, as if playing in a different country is genuinely pot luck whether a player settles quickly or not.

Take the likes of Joleon Lescott, James Milner, Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing. All four of those players have been bought and sold for £20m+ at one stage in their career. Some top nations haven't had a single player transferred for that sort of fee, let alone players who don't even get in their national team.

I was thinking the same. He's obviously quite charismatic, and like Fitzhugh's books. But really, "A keenness to get to the heart of what makes the city click ... In what way? "He is desperate to engage the community" Ok? Seems a little vague.

Oh, and also more British footballers will sign, those foreign chaps may be talented but don't know how the city ticks or something.

He cut's an impressive figure though so no worries.

What would you expect him to say when meeting a few fans? Specify in detail the players we intend to bid for?

What would you expect him to say when meeting a few fans? Specify in detail the players we intend to bid for?

Don't think anyone would expect that, just questioning what's reassuring in what has been shared on this thread...

Yes I was aware it was just words at the present but the impression I got was of a man desperate to hit the ground running on Monday. As he put it after a long season everyone is knackered but I am a freshman and I am ready to go

Fair enough, I'm just a little nervous if you know what I mean. I saw this all before with Wilde....meeting the fans, saying all the right things, getting everyone on side etc etc....but then never actually doing anything of note.

Cortese was an arse, didn't communicate or acknowledge a great deal of our history...but his actions spoke a hell of a lot louder than his words at the end of the day. I truly hope it's the same with these guys in the summer, but I just feel they're all talking a little to much at the moment without actually achieving a great deal.

Let's wait and see.

Don't think anyone would expect that, just questioning what's reassuring in what has been shared on this thread...
I was responding to tedmaul's post, complaining about the quotes being vague. I agree, nothing really here nor there in terms of reassuring, just a decent sounding chat with a few fans, sounds alright.

So the WC will be our excuse this year ? Saints have a very frustrating habit of failing to sign key players until September and missing out on strenghtening in key positions.

There's a certain amount of truth in that. What we don't know is why this is the case.

Fair enough, I'm just a little nervous if you know what I mean. I saw this all before with Wilde....meeting the fans, saying all the right things, getting everyone on side etc etc....but then never actually doing anything of note.

Cortese was an arse, didn't communicate or acknowledge a great deal of our history...but his actions spoke a hell of a lot louder than his words at the end of the day. I truly hope it's the same with these guys in the summer, but I just feel they're all talking a little to much at the moment without actually achieving a great deal.

Let's wait and see.

Have to agree, except that Wilde did do something of note: he helped lead us into administration. As has already been noted here, actions speak louder than words.

You think we are going to buy the cream? Barkley perhaps?

To be honest, even average English players are over priced.

Look at what Blackburn want for Rhodes, an NPC striker...£15-20m for christ sake. Benteke was £7m!

Let's wait and see.

Cortese was the absolute leader when it came to meeting fans and saying all the right things, remember the Fans Dinners that they used to arrange :lol:

Haha pay cut for pochettino! Thanks for sharing bout this FF

I was thinking the same thing, Bear. Hockey coaches make 4 or 5 subs every 2 minutes or so, whereas football coaches only have to do at most 3 every 90 minutes. With an NHL game lasting 60 minutes that means about 150 subs versus 3 in football. Not only that, they play 82 matches in a season, plus playoffs, versus football's 38 plus cups.

So MP should be only be paid about 1/100th an NHL coach gets. I'm sure RK is working on this as we speak.

Cortese was the absolute leader when it came to meeting fans and saying all the right things, remember the Fans Dinners that they used to arrange :lol:

Ah yes, but most of what he said did happen! I still picture those meetings like this...

hannibalfiner2.jpg

Obviously not, I was replying to the OP, who has been critical of past owners/chairman, writing in such gushing and flowery prose. After a meeting with the new head guy ... It was half a joke ... Really can anyone explain how anyone can get to the heart of what makes the city click? Engaging communities? He hasn't met a few fans and I didn't talk about that, aside from that ...

Look at what Blackburn want for Rhodes, an NPC striker...£15-20m for christ sake. Benteke was £7m!

I agree so what does he mean by that statement? Its so coded, he can say an outline and give a mission statement surely? I think is code for he is a hatchet man and its on the cheap.

Obviously not, I was replying to the OP, who has been critical of past owners/chairman, writing in such gushing and flowery prose. After a meeting with the new head guy ... It was half a joke ... Really can anyone explain how anyone can get to the heart of what makes the city click? Engaging communities? He hasn't met a few fans and I didn't talk about that, aside from that ...

I know what makes the City click......a successful football club which is progressing and ambitious, I personally think the City has grown on the back of the buzz generated by the football club over the past few years. Not entirely sure what engaging communities is all about either, the clubs foundation initiative is excellent and has made a huge difference in many deprived area's of the city.

So, there wasn't much wrong with that side of it. A successful and ambitious football club kind of run's it's self in a way, I don't know too many downbeat Saints fans around at the moment! (except for Alpine....joke ;) ) It seems to be as if everyone is just desperate for the history to be acknowledged, and to be fair Cortese did pretty much ignore that....but we did end up with one of our most successful periods in our recent history. Sometimes clubs (and people) can get stuck in the past, which stops you from moving forward - and I did kind of get NC when he said that it was time to create a new history....which we kind of have. I'm all for acknowledging the past though, but not if it's to appease the fans at the expense of us having a successful side.

There can be some very inflated fees. key I think is to try and get the ones who's contracts are running down.

He seems a bit cringe like Adkins was. I find it hard to trust anyone that overly nice, it seems overly American and fake and as if he's been picked to put some media spin on funding cuts tbh.

But he's not american, he's Canadian. Americans shoot each other all the time, including their own president. Canadians play hockey and drink beer. You can trust Krueger.

Interesting thread Duncan. Thanks for sharing.

I like the attitude of the new regime. I think they came in at a good time to maintain and nurture, just as I think cortese did to rebuild.

I felt kl would sell up pretty quick, but it seems she has got the bug and we are in safe hands.

my one reservation is Ralph is very politician like, polished and trained straight out of a self help book. Kind of saying a lot without saying much at all.

Ultimately time will tell and he will be judged on results.

I smell a period of consolidation afoot, no bad thing I reckon. Prepare for the long run rather than shooting for the moon and rolling the dice in the pursuit of short term gain. It'll be a fascinating 12 months in front of us whatever happens.

But he's not american, he's Canadian. Americans shoot each other all the time, including their own president. Canadians play hockey and drink beer. You can trust Krueger.

If US tv has taught us nothing else, it's that Canadians are ridiculously polite and generous. And they talk funny.

You're taking the **** surely. What a fun bloke you must be at parties. If we can strengthen well and improve our squad why not push for a top six spot next year? I'll take eighth again TBH too. Anything in the top 10 actually.

Player/manager moves aside, has anyone heard anything concrete about a possible sale of the club? Surely if it was any chance there'd be some genuine rumours and information around the place. Pretty tough to keep something like that under wraps in this day and age I reckon.

Let's wait and see.

But there was one thing that was heavily in Cortese's favour when it came to delivering on actions. For the majority of his time at the helm we were one of (if not the most) attractive clubs for players looking to be at a club at that level.

Whilst we were in league one I would suggest the level of wages plus the optimism of a very strong promotion challenge would've had us as the most attractive side to join.

In the championship we still had strong funding and i would've thought only Leicester or West Ham would've been in a position to match wages/promotion aspirations based on the names in the squads.

First season back in the premiership we again had decent funds available and of the newly promoted sides we would've easily been above Reading and catching some of the lower ranked established premier league teams.

I think last season was one where we may have struggled a bit more to attract what we wanted (the Wanyama and Osvaldo deals bit were very drawn out and both gave the impression other options were preferred)

In terms of losing players, as we rose through the leagues quite quickly our players didn't get the chance to firmly establish themselves as too good for their league and hence too good for us.

The only player that appeared to be sought after and want out got his way.

I would suggest whoever is/was in charge this summer would face the toughest test in retaining players as quite a few are becoming established premier league players with an increased reputation whilst playing for a club seen as inferior.

One thing that may really work in our favour though is the value of some of these players might be a bit awkward as the biggest clubs would probably think they would be able to get better players for the money as maybe our players would not be walk up starts for the first team, thats a lot of money to spend on the bench. The value should be too high for other mid-table teams and we should be able to stay more attractive for the players who are already here.

I really hope that the players do all stick together for at least one more season as chance to build a successful squad together don't come around that often and we aren't far off challenging for a top 6 spot. Given how much talking the board seem to be doing to us I would assume they are also talking to the players in a smiliar manner as they (the board) would appear quite foolish if everyone wants out after their public comments.

So I think we have one season to really make a push at being a European side so here is hoping everyone at the club feels the same

Let's wait and see.

That's a fair point about Wilde and I for one was taken in by his vision for the future etc. I also take the point that RK is a consummate sporting politician and sure, words are cheaper than actions. But speaking as a club historian it was no nice to meet a chairman who actually showed a keen interest in what we have done over the years (bookwise) and who promised to back us up 100% in the future. He very much appreciates and wants to celebrate our history which is music to my ears and yes makes me a little biased. His predecessor was the exact opposite.

Between 1990 and 2010 the club very kindly gave us access to their minute books which went back to 1898. As you can imagine they were for us a priceless source of information and a lot of our books (Dell Diamond for example) relied on these minutes. Last month, to my horror I discovered that these books had been "thrown away in a skip" by NC, such was his disdain for our history. Fortunately someone working at SMS had the nous to salvage these books and they are now back in safe hands. This was the sort of person he was and, while as fans we all applauded his vision (which involved spending a lot of money on players, not all of it particularly wisely), off the pitch he had absolutely no respect for our heritage or our past. I tell this story because the chairman we have now is the exact opposite and while he may not have the spend spend spend "vision" of NC, he shows all the signs of someone who wants to embrace the past as well as the future. So, for now I am going to back him and believe that he and the owner will do what is best for this club even if that means being less expansive in the transfer market.

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

Always good to read something positive! Re not spending as much, I don't think that it is indicative of how successful the players coming in would be. We spent £25m plus on Gaston and Dani and they have both been an unqualified disaster. We spent £7m on Jay and he has been a revelation. Spend wisely but maybe within our means and we can still grow if we keep Adam and Poch! I am in 2 minds about Luke especially if we get a silly offer. He is a left back albeit a superstar left back, and I am sure we can get a decent replacement for a fraction of the price. Adam though is integral to our attacking prowess and has to stay imo. As has been mooted, all seems to rest on Mopo staying!

It all comes down to FF getting what he wants. He would rather sacrifice on field success in favour of some dusty old minute books. This has no concern at all for the large majority if saints fans and that is fact. The second FF doesn't get what he wants, his tune will change, it always does.

By the way, there isn't anything to suggest we won't be spending similar a amount this summer to the last. Pochettino will need that to push the club forward and our spending hasn't been excessive anyway.

Which person is easier to like and write positive things about, person A or person B?

Person A, " oh you''ve written a book. Oooooh my god, that is awesome! Way to go you. High 5."

Person B, "ah, you've written a book. That's nice. Put it down. No not there, DO NOT APPROACH ME. Over there near the door..... Smithers release the hounds."