A meeting with Ralph Krueger

Fitzhugh Fella

Thank you to FF for running the gauntlet of snipes and snide remarks to provide insight on the new people running the club. Your feedback is very encouraging and I for one would trust your opinion.

As an aside I would also think it is very unlikely that we will hold onto our stars. Very sad I know but that has been the way ever since I have followed Saints. If Arsenal cannot hold on to Van Persie then how can we expect to keep on to Lallana?

Thank you to FF for running the gauntlet of snipes and snide remarks to provide insight on the new people running the club. Your feedback is very encouraging and I for one would trust your opinion.

As an aside I would also think it is very unlikely that we will hold onto our stars. Very sad I know but that has been the way ever since I have followed Saints. If Arsenal cannot hold on to Van Persie then how can we expect to keep on to Lallana?

Their backgrounds are a little different and that provides the possibility that he might remain with us. RVP wasn't at Arsenal from a tender age and therefore did not have the cameraderie of his fellow academy mates growing up at the club with him. RVP had become one of the hottest in-form strikers in the Premier League, whereas Lallana faces more competition as a midfielder. RVP isn't a native Englishman, so has no particular afffinity or family roots in a specific area of the country, whereas Lallana has family and roots in the South. If Lallana wishes to leave, then there is not much we can do about it, except screw the buying club for mega-bucks. If he wants to stay, we can simply tell any bidders to go and get lost. I hope that is what happens, as it will send a clear message that we don't have to sell our best players to balance the books as we used to have to.

Their backgrounds are a little different and that provides the possibility that he might remain with us. RVP wasn't at Arsenal from a tender age and therefore did not have the cameraderie of his fellow academy mates growing up at the club with him. RVP had become one of the hottest in-form strikers in the Premier League, whereas Lallana faces more competition as a midfielder. RVP isn't a native Englishman, so has no particular afffinity or family roots in a specific area of the country, whereas Lallana has family and roots in the South. If Lallana wishes to leave, then there is not much we can do about it, except screw the buying club for mega-bucks. If he wants to stay, we can simply tell any bidders to go and get lost. I hope that is what happens, as it will send a clear message that we don't have to sell our best players to balance the books as we used to have to.

No I appreciate that with Adam but he will probably have the opportunity of champions league football next season and it will be quite a pull. Hopefully the new board will enthuse those with generous offers to give it a go with us.

Thanks for that ff. Actions do speak louder than words but this is still encouraging. Ignore the patronising bilge from Frank, the majority are pleased that you post and interested in what you have to say.

LOL you are just so funny, are your panties moist that you where heroically able to come to FFs defense? FF is big enough and wise enough to stand up for himself and has enough courage of his own convictions to express his own, rather than sycophantically follow the 'few' forum 'elite'. I know this because I have had a few beers with FF. I respect his work, his opinion and and his conviction. I don't agree with it all the time, and I have issues with Kreuger's silver tongue which is why I questioned his appraisal of the discussion. If he has issue with my post, he will let me know...

As always, you jump in where you have diddly squat idea, hoping it pleases one of your 'masters' - when you have an opinion that is your own, come back and express it, in the meantime, why not go and keep CB FRY's backside warm...

I can live with all the snide digs from anonymous cyber warrior/queens like Dig Dog and Manji but Smirking Saint has accused me of making insulting posts about KL - see below

"As for Duncan dont pretend he is innocent. He is not adverse to posting inflammatory nonsense about chairmen when he does t get his way. Like I pointed out it was t long ago that KL was in his poisonous sights".

I have asked him (or her) to substantiate that allegation but nothing has since been forthcoming. I don't think posts like his with false accusations (which could be quite damaging) should be acceptable on this forum. So for the record I am repeating I have never made a derogatory post about Ms Liebherr and so basically Smirking Saint is just a cyber bully/warrior who lies. I am glad my OP was of interest but frankly I can do without the false accusations. Hey ho.

I can live with all the snide digs from anonymous cyber warrior/queens like Dig Dog and Manji but Smirking Saint has accused me of making insulting posts about KL - see below

"As for Duncan dont pretend he is innocent. He is not adverse to posting inflammatory nonsense about chairmen when he does t get his way. Like I pointed out it was t long ago that KL was in his poisonous sights".

I have asked him (or her) to substantiate that allegation but nothing has since been forthcoming. I don't think posts like his with false accusations (which could be quite damaging) should be acceptable on this forum. So for the record I I am repeating I have never made a derogatory post about Ms Liebherr and so basically Smirking Saint is just a cyber bully/warrior who lies. I am glad my OP was of interest but frankly I can do without the false accusations. Hey ho.

Duncan, the reality IMHO is that for all Kreuger has 'talked' he has giver VERY. Little away of any substance. Not sure who said it but there were wise words above that his fast task should have been to tie MP down to a new contract. I am worried that whatever good intentions he and KL have, they are showing the same naivety as Wilde did - with focus all on fan platitude to win over the masses with tales of stripes and history - I don't want out chairman worried about history, that's your job ;-) 8 want him working his arse off behind the scenes to get contracts sorted early and convince key players and coaches that we do have a progressive future to look forward to.

I stand by what I said before. Too often the fans of the 'smaller' provincial clubs seem to place too much importance on the 'culture, history and family' that is the community club, because it's all they have. They have forgotten what it's about to demand a culture that I surely about being as competitive from a sporting perspective as possible.. 'Just glad we still have a club to support', ' happy to survive', let's just consolidate... Etce etc... Are all the words of those defeated and resigned to mediocre ritzy before a season starts .... With pride coming from their 'culture' rather than the trophy cabinet.

No one is suggesting that we will have the financial resources to be perennial Top 6. (Despite what CB Fry misinterprets for the hundredth time) and as many others I have no desire to see us try and buy success. But the is a difference in using our resource to KEEP. Our best talent for a few years longer and doing what other clubs have done when they periodically get a decent crop of talent... Have periodic excellence... If Bayer Leverkusen could do it, if Everton could do it, why not Saints?

But out the start t all that is decisive, effective leadership that takes care of business rapidly and without compromise - and to be fair, it should not be the chairmanship jobs to be worrying about stripes and history... He should have more important fish to fry...yes there is spa e for someone to look after those things, but if should not be Krueger

I have asked him (or her) to substantiate that allegation but nothing has since been forthcoming. I don't think posts like his with false accusations (which could be quite damaging) should be acceptable on this forum. So for the record I am repeating I have never made a derogatory post about Ms Liebherr and so basically Smirking Saint is just a cyber bully/warrior who lies. I am glad my OP was of interest but frankly I can do without the false accusations. Hey ho.

I'm on you're side mate. Smirking saint is a weirdo.

if Everton could do it, why not Saints?

The same Everton who sell their best players for big fees to Man City, Man United and Arsenal? That Everton?

Good. You won't be squinnying like a girl if we end up having to do the same, stamping your feet about how terribly awful and mediocre it is for a huge club like Saints to finish boring old eighth.

And nice slating of Krueger for not doing anything of substance yet, from your authoritive position of not having the faintest idea of what he is doing.

Do keep supporting our mediocre little club, Franko.

I must admit I take FFs positive spin with a massive pinch of salt. He is easily the most kneejerk in regards to chairman and I seem to remember him damning KL not so long ago so its completely laughable that he is now RKs best friend.

Realistically all thats happened is Ralphs played some lip servive to him and given his bank balance a boost, unfortunately its probably something he will need to keep doing to keep FFs faith in him.

Whilst I am enjoying the new fan friendly approach it means naff all if improvement is not measured on the pitch. This is a football club not first and foremost and realistically NC was given much more rope due to his ability to bring promise to our club. RK can buy time with positive fan stories but needs to back the football team and I for one am sceptical.

Should he adequately back us then we may very well be on the verge of something excellent but itll take action to prove it.

Stop being sensible. We'll have no rationalism here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can we get the conversation back to discussing if Smirking is, or is not a weirdo pls? I am undecided on this. I've always thought Smirking was sound but I like the idea of him being a massive weirdo. Check how he is always accusing ppl of abusing Big Kat and is too much of a weirdo to back up these claims! Also, if I recall correctly he really HATES Lambart! Such weirdo!

Stop being sensible. We'll have no rationalism here.

I don't really understand you point. Do you really think people are incapable of realising that this thread is just a few comments from someone who has had a friendly chat and a meeting with the chairman? No one is saying things will be brilliant now and everyone I am sure realises as you do that actions speak louder than words.

This sounds like an encouraging chat and we can hopefully look forward to a positive future. Even if Ralph does turn out to be full of rubbish, what harm has reporting this conversation done?

Franks COusin - really cannot understand where you are coming from at all. As has been pointed out Everton did not keep hold of Rooney, Rodwell or Feliani (but did get big bucks for them that they reinvested wisely). Not even Man U can hold on to players that want out (Ronaldo?) so to think we will is somewhat bizarre.

And I am personally very pleased that RK is taking the time to build bridges with the community and sponsors - because at the end of the day a football club is about the fans: players come and go but the fans are always there.

And you are doing RK a big disservice - he has not been extremely successful in sports and business by luck/chance.

You mean like this piece of gold duncan ? I dont know you mate, I dont pretend to, Im not bringing up what you do on a personal basis, what your job is etc

TBH I think the book is a very good and intensive piece of work.

I do however judge a poster as a poster, and on here you jump from one massive opinion to another. So you didnt question the new regime at all ? This thread was just made up was it ?

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?49105-The-club-is-no-longer-run-FOR-the-fans

As for Roger, am I a weirdo as I questioned your huge hard on for Lambert ? Only for you to fall out of love this year ?

Like I said, Ill take it as a pinch of salt, its hardly character assassination is it ? Nor is what I said out of character so calm down on that front. If your going to post that way your gonna get pulled on it. And yes, same goes for me.

Can we get the conversation back to discussing if Smirking is, or is not a weirdo pls? I am undecided on this. I've always thought Smirking was sound but I like the idea of him being a massive weirdo. Check how he is always accusing ppl of abusing Big Kat and is too much of a weirdo to back up these claims! Also, if I recall correctly he really HATES Lambart! Such weirdo!

I may or not be a weirdo bearsy, we will have to discuss my antics on TMS to be definately sure.

This is going to be a slightly controversial post, but imo since the Liebherr family took over, the club stopped being run "for the fans". Instead it is run for the good of the "business". Normally the two go hand in hand but occasionally, there are times, like yesterday when there is a conflict of interest or a diversity of ambition.

The events at the Stadium of Light have most probably thrown up the most discord on this forum since a Cortese inspired Liebherr bandwagon trampled the flawed Le Tissier dream ticket consortium into oblivion and swept into town to take over. Gawd we were all so grateful. Me included.

I said at the time it is great to be rescued and to have real money at our fingertips (and what a five years we have had), but gone forever are the days where the fans priorities and dreams are a priority. Even Lowe had to keep one eye on keeping the fans happy.

No one in charge at SMS really genuinely cares about our stripes, our traditions or our history. It remains a money making machine that will be sold or kept according to market forces. The fans dreams and hopes are mere side issues. We are supporting a company who happen to be based in our city and there is no going back.

So who is going to Upton Park?

This one

Franks COusin - really cannot understand where you are coming from at all. As has been pointed out Everton did not keep hold of Rooney, Rodwell or Feliani (but did get big bucks for them that they reinvested wisely). Not even Man U can hold on to players that want out (Ronaldo?) so to think we will is somewhat bizarre.

And I am personally very pleased that RK is taking the time to build bridges with the community and sponsors - because at the end of the day a football club is about the fans: players come and go but the fans are always there.

And you are doing RK a big disservice - he has not been extremely successful in sports and business by luck/chance.

You our have both missed the key point- the cyclical success becomes possible when you have periodic groups of talented youngster and you keep them .... For longer than letting them go at 16/18. This is how the smaller sides in other countries get periodic success... By keeping talent they have unearthed or developed until they are 22/24 - they get more bucks when eventually sold AND get some benefit... So no one is saying we won't sell players, just works harder that it's on our terms - does ANYONE really think we have developed /spent 30 mil on the academy just to feed bigger clubs?

its about demonstrating to the kids that at Saints you get a path to first team, you will get regular football and with luck some success.... It works elsewhere. We have just not had the resources to do this before. I suspect NC was not after 100s of millions to buy success, but after the cash resources to ensure we could offer competitive wages to keep the best kids just that little bit longer... Combined with some wise purchases ( and we all know he got some badly wrong - as all clubs do) we could do very well indeed of we get the coaching right as well... It's not too much to believe...

As to Krueger... Sure the Jury is out, and his success in Ice Hockey is noted, but from what we have heard to date there IS an element of naïveté in what he has said...

I don't think Lowe was a dictator thet was- myth perpetrated by the sisa hit boys

I never found him a dictator and did listen yes he was a toff and did listen to the fans .sisa needed a new cause and the urban warriors waged war against the dark night . Be a foot soldier of the say yes t stoneham campaign and the st Mary's build . Lowe was not a dictator . But someone who care but not in the minds of urban rivals

Thanks Turks, I need all the support I can in these dark times. I will throw off these oppressive names if its the last thing I do.

I got off lightly in comparison, will try and shake off the cyber warrior/queen tag but don't think it will be easy

You mean like this piece of gold duncan ? I dont know you mate, I dont pretend to, Im not bringing up what you do on a personal basis, what your job is etc

I do however judge a poster as a poster, and on here you jump from one massive opinion to another. So you didnt question the new regime at all ? This thread was just made up was it ?

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?49105-The-club-is-no-longer-run-FOR-the-fans

As for Roger, am I a weirdo as I questioned your huge hard on for Lambert ? Only for you to fall out of love this year ?

Like I said, Ill take it as a pinch of salt, its hardly character assassination is it ? Nor is what I said out of character so calm down on that front. If your going to post that way your gonna get pulled on it. And yes, same goes for me.

Thanks for at least taking the trouble to find a post where I could be considered to be posting anti KL sentiments. I don't think I was though, I was angry at our cup exit nothing more nothing less and if you read the thread through in its entirety you will see I give the Liebherr family as much credit as criticism. Certainly not "poisonous" as you claim.

Thanks for at least taking the trouble to find a post where I could be considered to be posting anti KL sentiments. I don't think I was though, I was angry at our cup exit nothing more nothing less and if you read the thread through in its entirety you will see I give the Liebherr family as much credit as criticism. Certainly not "poisonous" as you claim.

Well ok, certainly that time you werent overly poisonous but it does somewhat highlight the frequency of you changing your mind. Im not going to trawl through hundreds of your posts as I really cant be bothered.

I think you are quite aware that it happens though, a chairman is never far from a good old hiding from you FF.

I got off lightly in comparison, will try and shake off the cyber warrior/queen tag but don't think it will be easy

I've written it down and will be using it for some time I can assure you. I moved to FF side as soon as he called you dig dog. Thought I had logged in under the wrong user name again.

You have been saying for years that the club is no longer for the fans and that we are now a private company and all the negative impact that goes with that

What has changed? Some Canadian has tickled your belly, perhaps?

You our have both missed the key point- the cyclical success becomes possible when you have periodic groups of talented youngster and you keep them .... For longer than letting them go at 16/18. This is how the smaller sides in other countries get periodic success... By keeping talent they have unearthed or developed until they are 22/24 - they get more bucks when eventually sold AND get some benefit... So no one is saying we won't sell players, just works harder that it's on our terms - does ANYONE really think we have developed /spent 30 mil on the academy just to feed bigger clubs?

its about demonstrating to the kids that at Saints you get a path to first team, you will get regular football and with luck some success.... It works elsewhere. We have just not had the resources to do this before. I suspect NC was not after 100s of millions to buy success, but after the cash resources to ensure we could offer competitive wages to keep the best kids just that little bit longer... Combined with some wise purchases ( and we all know he got some badly wrong - as all clubs do) we could do very well indeed of we get the coaching right as well... It's not too much to believe...

As to Krueger... Sure the Jury is out, and his success in Ice Hockey is noted, but from what we have heard to date there IS an element of naïveté in what he has said...

So the Franko rambling machine rumbles on to another topic.

Who exactly are these 16 year olds we are going to be selling left, right and centre? Shaw is 18, probably 19 if he does leave this season, with is the same as Rooney when he left Everton. We've had two solid seasons out of him and if he wants to go (as you've been told countless times before) the club can do nothing except get the best price.

And how sweet you call RK niaive when you are demanding we achieve more than 60plus points next season, putting us around sixth because you think it would be "mediocre" of Saints to finish 8th again, a placing we have achieved just twice nearly twenty five years.

Oh, and if Liverpool or other clubs offer £100k plus a week, CL football and the chance to play at the very highest level, then we can magically match that because that was the genius "vision" - pay wages we can't afford on commercial incomes smaller than Watford.

Yeah, that guy is the niaive one. That guy. Not you.

Well ok, certainly that time you werent overly poisonous but it does somewhat highlight the frequency of you changing your mind. Im not going to trawl through hundreds of your posts as I really cant be bothered.

I think you are quite aware that it happens though, a chairman is never far from a good old hiding from you FF.

I think I summed it up honestly ie "it was a good day for Saints fans when the Liebherr family bought our club but it was an even better day for the family."

And yes I had a low opinion of Rupert, certainly after he started to get involved on the football side of things and yes I thought Cortese was a thoroughly unpleasant man who got carried away after the unfortunate death of ML. Still stand by those views which I based on what I saw and heard. FWIW I thought George Reader and Alan Woodward both gentlemen and great chairmen. Askham was alright until he started getting involved in the reverse takeover. The only other chairmen I have known were Wilde and Crouch. Yes I changed my mind on Wilde (I think we all did) and Crouch was out of his depth but a generous and well-meaning Chairman who did not last long. As for RK, well yes he was charm personified but as has been pointed out the proof will come this summer.

You have been saying for years that the club is no longer for the fans and that we are now a private company and all the negative impact that goes with that

What has changed? Some Canadian has tickled your belly, perhaps?

I stand by that Batman but in modern day football if you are not privately owned by a wealthy party you are going nowhere. I don't like it but it is football and I am trying to live with it.

Thanks for sharing, FF. Quite interesting, I thought.

Did terry Paine have anything to add? Judging by his performance the other night, if he didn't mention South Africa at least once, it probably wasn't even him.

It was thanks to Terry that we had the meeting so I am grateful to him. No he kept fairly quiet. For me and Hagiology Terry has been great, he is a massive fan and SFC is very close to his heart. He seemed to already have forged a good relationship with RK, and that morning had shown him around Winchester his native city. But as you say his home and family are now in S Africa.

No still love rickie mate but if he doesn't play well I will say that.

This summer is clearly going to be quite a pivotal one for Saints but a dose of realism needs to come into play about what represents the board being 'ambitious' or not.

For example, let's say Spurs (or any other big club for that matter) come along and offer MP £75k+ per week, £100m transfer kitty and the opportunity of managing a team that can push for trophies and European football then I would suggest that it will be very difficult for Southampton to match not just financially but also in terms of likely progress on the pitch. We have had a fantastic time recently with multiple promotions and also a highest ever points total in the Premier League but from now on every extra point over and above this season's achievments becomes more and more difficult both financially and from a playing point of view.

Moving onto the players. If any top 4 type clubs come in with huge offers for our players and can offer opportunity to win trophies, European football and an even better chance of international recognition with England then I suspect the majority would take it. Saints simply cannot match the financial and consistent playing quality muscle of the big clubs. It would take enormous spending by KL to break into the top 4 for example and the FFP stance now does not allow owners to do it. Why spend well over your budget on your 'toy' if UEFA / FIFA / PL etc stifle the chance of winning big competitions by fining / eliminating you from competitions. It does not make sense for a club like us to go down that road.

In my eyes, so long as the board offer the very most they can afford to keep our manager and top players at the club, plus do the very best job they can to build a compelling case that we can compete in the PL for a sustained period then that is good enough for me.

Sadly, I do not think we will ever be in a position to keep players like Adam Lallana and Luke Shaw for a sustained period of time, assuming they like money and are ambitious from a football perspective in terms of honours, as we can never give such players the best chance of achieving both. Generally, top players want to play at the very best level that they can, probably for the best contract they can, and I do not see Saints fulfilling that opportunity without spending the sort of money that Man City and Chelsea have (which obviously isn't going to happen).

I would like to see us keep everyone and add quality to the squad to push on but if we do not and have offered the best we can and done the best we can to sell the benefits of staying then that is fine. If manager and players then still want to go then that is equally fine so long as the board then does strive to get the best financial deal possible from any sales and ensure that the money is reinvested in the squad as actively and sensibly as possible.

Adam Lallana is today's equivalent of MLT and as such we need to hope that the love amongst the players and the club he mentioned in one of hiss peaches the other night is accurate and real enough to keep him believing in where this team can go to.

I think he would not miss out on a potential move by staying here for a further two seasons as that is the time that will tell whether this team is on the the verge of something outstanding for our size club. If it does not come off by then, I would have no issue with any of them leaving and the club "going again" with a new crop. The reality is that in English football we have the most exciting and quickly developing group and if AL goes the belief will be sucked out of the club. If he honours his contract then the impossible may just be possible.

It's going to be a long summer and KL and RK have a short time to convince players, manager, fans, and the footballing world of their true ambition.

Wish people would stop citing FFP as a reason owners can't spend big. It only applies for clubs in european competition. Plus we've yet to see whether it's all bark or some bite too.

I think FFP has a big bearing on why owners might not want to spend big without the backup of the commercial revenue. After all, when they spend big (E.g. Man City and Chelsea) it is usually because they want to win competitions, often the Champions League, and attract the best players. Therefore, there is no point in spending big and getting there if they then have to cut cloth (due to FFP constraints) and are unable to sustain the 'lifestyle' without sanctions being imposed by UEFA. That wouldn't make any sense to me at all.

I think FFP has a big bearing on why owners might not want to spend big without the backup of the commercial revenue. After all, when they spend big (E.g. Man City and Chelsea) it is usually because they want to win competitions, often the Champions League, and attract the best players. Therefore, there is no point in spending big and getting there if they then have to cut cloth (due to FFP constraints) and are unable to sustain the 'lifestyle' without sanctions being imposed by UEFA. That wouldn't make any sense to me at all.

Think you misunderstood, I meant FFP is not a reason why we can't spend big, because we aren't in Europe. People keep mentioning it as a reason - not saying we will, but if we don't it'll have nothing to do with FFP.

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport

Have been informed that Ralph Krueger is happy to speak to me live on Sunday post-match , which is good , probably after 5:30pm #saintsfc

Unless he starts talking about what the footballing ambition is then fair enough, if its just more fan friendly guff Im not interested.

Unless he starts talking about what the footballing ambition is then fair enough, if its just more fan friendly guff Im not interested.

I dread to say anything that starts you off again (no offence) but one thing RK did say and repeated during our meeting was that next season started for him on Monday. I do agree the fan friendly bit will soon be very tedious if the more important questions aren't quickly addressed. I don't want to go through the whole World Cup period reading about the imminent departure of players/manager. The journalists are like vultures at the moment and the sooner one gets shot down (Jamie Jamesom or Alex Goring Crook preferably) the better.

I dread to say anything that starts you off again (no offence) but one thing RK did say and repeated during our meeting was that next season started for him on Monday. I do agree the fan friendly bit will soon be very tedious if the more important questions aren't quickly addressed. I don't want to go through the whole World Cup period reading about the imminent departure of players/manager. The journalists are like vultures at the moment and the sooner one gets shot down (Jamie Jamesom or Alex Goring Crook preferably) the better.

Unfortunately we are going to have to put up with it, we have an ex chairman lighting the touchpaper under the media right now in an attenpt to destabilize. Shame NC was such a cretin as I for one think that he could have been an incredible chairman. Certainly he delivered some very positive times for me.

As for Krueger, I like the fan friendly stuff I do, but like I said, without action it is meaningless. Abd it appears that Poch is under that same impression. Its clear to me he is getting annoyed at what appears to be a lack of direction. I dont agree with Poch looking to move, I think first and foremost he wants to stay but has not been given assurances. I get that, I hope fans dont start turning on him.

One annoying thing.. Not sure if mentioned, pre-season is obviously sorted so why haven't we announced it? Other clubs have. It would give those of us that actually travel to them a chance to book up early rather than it being left to the last minute again.