The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

LR meeting a british manager today and another meeting scheduled for early next week with a continental manager (french speaking)

no names yet unfortunately, not claiming to be knowledgeable, just passing on what I've been told

Koeman was at Limewood yesterday.

Don't get why koeman's such short odds personally. I don't particularly like the fact he's bounced around constantly.

Still would much prefer yakin.

It only takes a few Twitter rumours apparently from someone ITK to convince some people to lump on, then the odds tumble. Not difficult to manipulate if you're determined.

Could easily be a ploy to push other odds up.

could well have been, like I said just passing on what I've been told from someone who works at the club.

looks as if we are starting to narrow down the list of candidates

It looks that way mate. Need to get a manager in quickly but also needs to be the right man!.

LR meeting a british manager today and another meeting scheduled for early next week with a continental manager (french speaking)

no names yet unfortunately, not claiming to be knowledgeable, just passing on what I've been told

If you believe Twitter (which I don't!) then the British Manager is Steve Mclaren

article on Garde:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/the-next-arsenal-manager-garde-giving-impressive-audition-at-lyons-2342617.html

The article dates from August 2011 so no idea how his career has fared since then.

He took over from Puel and they've gone downhill a bit since then. He's just a textbook coach with little flair or imagination.

the way Aulas likes them, doesn't have much to say when the star players are auctioned off to create funds. Forced to work with a mix of academy players and fading stars and didn't do all that well. Quit because he was hacked off at lack of ambition.

Leta be honest. No Manager at the top of his game will be interested, the likes of de Boer etc.

They might have with our full squad, but whoever comes in starts off at a disadvantage from the off, a ****ed off fanbase, a squad whose heart has been ripped out. Probably a few others who are trying to engineer moves away.

For this reason we will get someone who is just grateful to be given a chance in the PL. They may turn out good, but IMO it won't be someone who is a proven high calibre Manager. At least not in my definition.

Leta be honest. No Manager at the top of his game will be interested, the likes of de Boer etc.

They might have with our full squad, but whoever comes in starts off at a disadvantage from the off, a ****ed off fanbase, a squad whose heart has been ripped out. Probably a few others who are trying to engineer moves away.

For this reason we will get someone who is just grateful to be given a chance in the PL. They may turn out good, but IMO it won't be someone who is a proven high calibre Manager. At least not in my definition.

Are you not getting attention at home?

We won't get Moyes even though I would prefer him. He wouldn't want to work for the current clubs leadership - the longer the week has gone on the more MP looks vindicated for electing to move to Spurs. Clearly he knew that they were going to sell his team. I fear Reed and RK are about to make similar mistakes that Lowe did.

God I hope I'm wrong.

I share some of the concern here.

Latest (skybet)

image.jpg

Most of which looks pretty uninspiring, or just ridiculous.

Koeman and Laudrup have the names, but their magerial careers are fairly chequered.

Can't see Benitez or de Boer being remotely interested, especially with us shoving our better players out of the door.

Whose managerial record would you consider better: Koeman or Pochettino?

Fair point.

And of course, MP came with no track record to speak of.

Who do you think might have promised more over the next 3 seasons ?

Fair point.

And of course, MP came with no track record to speak of.

Who do you think might have promised more over the next 3 seasons ?

with MP staying with most of the squad it is far far less of a gamble that what will actually happen next season

Whose managerial record would you consider better: Koeman or Pochettino?

has Koeman ever managed outside of the Dutch league. It really isn't a recommendation, De Ridder was a star in the Eredivisie.

As yes Benfica, pushed out of the door after 1 season, and sacked at Valencia after less than one season.Not my favourite candidate for the job really. Why can't we go after Rosler.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Latest (skybet)

image.jpg

Blimey just realised that there is no Sven, not too long ago he would have been linked with just about every football vacancy on the planet!

Even more surprising considering that we allegedly have his old mucker Torde Gripp on our scouting team.

2 days ago I would have turned my nose up at Moyes as 'damaged goods'

But I'm starting to think his massive Premier League experience (at 2 clubs bigger than Saints) could be what we need this summer to steady the good ship Southampton...

2 days ago I would have turned my nose up at Moyes as 'damaged goods'

But I'm starting to think his massive Premier League experience (at 2 clubs bigger than Saints) could be what we need this summer to steady the good ship Southampton...

Me too - but would he come? His bosses are hardly displaying ambition and grim determination to retain our players.

Rosler for me.

Martinez and Rodgers came from the championship and look at how well they are doing. Harry whatshisname didn't exactly set the world alight this year with QPR but has done well in the Premier League. Less snobbery needed I think.

Koeman - record isn't great from what I've read; lots of teams gradually getting worse.

Laudrup - too many issues (and won't hang around)

McClaren - very up and down. A gamble. Then again, who isn't?

Mackay - NO. PLEASE NOT HIM.

Garde - from what I've read sounds good; by all accounts he wants a break from management this year.

Yakin - was keen, but now hesitant. Some comments about him being fairly defensive at times in winnable games.

Howe - could be great; could struggle. A gamble but more likely a long term appointment.

Tuchel - sounds impressive but a gamble (just like MPo I guess)

Garcia - by all accounts Brighton fans weren't too pleased with him.

Moyes - can't make my mind up at all. Experienced but not keen on style of football... guess I've been so spoilt with good football for a few years I don't want to go backwards.

In normal circumstances I'd want us to go down a similar path to MP, a young and forward thinking coach type. But these aren't normal circumstances. Unfortunately, and I don't like saying this, but I think we need a 'name'. We have what looks like a lot of unrest within the playing squad and we have a board who, at best, are very naive and we need a manager who will instantly have the respect of the players and can hopefully prevent what looks like being a pretty horrible summer otherwise.

The good thing us that 1 week ago the front 3 in the betting were Petrescu, Lennon and Mackay. Now it's Yakin, Koeman and Laudrup. That's promising

Laudrup is being dismissed as an option due to newspaper reports about his lack of interest and lack of time spent on the training ground. But weren’t the same accusations pointed to MP in a recent newspaper article?

Laudrup would be free, has managed a similar sized club, delivering Europe, cup win/final (the first major trophy in Swansea's 100-year history) + he plays a similar passing style to MP (allowing some continuity at all levels)

Laudrup also has good contacts it seems and his signings for Swansea have been largely impressive (Bony + Michu especially)

He left Swansea in mid-table and still in the FA Cup and Europa League.

Laudrup is being dismissed as an option due to newspaper reports about his lack of interest and lack of time spent on the training ground. But weren’t the same accusations pointed to MP in a recent newspaper article?

Of course you know this, but MP was actually somewhat of an exception in that he worked long hours at the training ground. He certainly has a good work ethic.

For a PL Manager to not spend much time at the training ground is frankly, ludicrous.

Rosler for me.

Martinez and Rodgers came from the championship and look at how well they are doing. Harry whatshisname didn't exactly set the world alight this year with QPR but has done well in the Premier League. Less snobbery needed I think.

Koeman - record isn't great from what I've read; lots of teams gradually getting worse.

Garde - from what I've read sounds good; by all accounts he wants a break from management this year.

Yakin - was keen, but now hesitant. Some comments about him being fairly defensive at times in winnable games.

Howe - could be great; could struggle. A gamble but more likely a long term appointment.

Moyes - can't make my mind up at all. Experienced but not keen on style of football... guess I've been so spoilt with good football for a few years I don't want to go backwards.

Moyes is defensive I grant you that. Knows how to win a game once in the lead, he grinds out results. Considering we have a strong midfield (still) and defence and no strikers (Jay Rod is broken and Gallagher is League 1/CCC at best at the moment), it strikes me we might need exactly this type of manager. None of your list inspire me - Moyes I sense will be hungry to re establish his reputation.

But, I can't see him wanting to work for our Board, who right now look very suspect.

Of course you know this, but MP was actually somewhat of an exception in that he worked long hours at the training ground. He certainly has a good work ethic.

For a PL Manager to not spend much time at the training ground is frankly, ludicrous.

I am hearing different things on MP since he left - this is fairly typical after a manager leaves as staff are more inclined to tell the full story.

Consistent with Neil Ashton's comments the other day - MP was known to be a control freak, showed favouritism towards a small group of players, sulked (a lot), was paranoid and started spending less and less time at the training ground after January.

I appreciate this is fairly one-sided, but is also remarkably similar to the accusations thrown at Laudrup?

I am hearing different things on MP since he left - this is fairly typical after a manager leaves as staff are more inclined to tell the full story.

Consistent with Neil Ashton's comments the other day - MP was known to be a control freak, showed favouritism towards a small group of players, sulked (a lot), was paranoid and started spending less and less time at the training ground after January.

I appreciate this is fairly one-sided, but is also remarkably similar to the accusations thrown at Laudrup?

How is it this Glasgow Taint is able to come back under a different badge and continue with his made up, inflammatory drivel?

Rosler for me.

It's like you extracted post that from my head. Can't disagree with anything you wrote.

I am hearing different things on mopo since he left - this is fairly typical after a manager leaves as staff are more inclined to tell the full story.

Consistent with Neil Ashton's comments the other day - mopo was known to be a control freak, showed favouritism towards a small group of players, sulked (a lot), was paranoid and started spending less and less time at the training ground after January.

Fixed for you

That's more like it - flexing your wum muscles.

Moyes is defensive I grant you that. Knows how to win a game once in the lead, he grinds out results. Considering we have a strong midfield (still) and defence and no strikers (Jay Rod is broken and Gallagher is League 1/CCC at best at the moment), it strikes me we might need exactly this type of manager. None of your list inspire me - Moyes I sense will be hungry to re establish his reputation.

Moyes would be an awesome appointment, I remember his name the last time we needed a manager and everybody just laughing at the ludicrous idea that he would even consider Saints. He is exactly what we need at the moment but I can't see it myself, he is probably a shoe in for Celtic anyway. McClaren is tainted goods I know but he is probably the sort of manager we need, experienced, calm and able to manage some big egos.

One thing is for sure the board need to sort this asap. Rudderless ship at the moment and we are under attack.

Rosler for me.

So what makes Rosler any better than those you have assessed? What has he done to deserve being placed above any of them?

Koeman was great at Feyenoord the last few seasons, with very little money he finished second in the league twice. However his time at Valencia, AZ and to a certain extent Ajax werent very successfull. At Feyenoord he played many youth players and had to sell his best players at the end of the season.

Frank de Boer wont happen, IF the club somehow is able to get him, MP will be forgotten very soon.