The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

I can see McLaren being a shoe-in due to his connections with Reed and the England set-up. I will be seriously concerned if we appoint him or Gross.

He wouldn't be bad but I can help but feel a little underwhelmed. Moyes is arguably the most dynamic choice should we put in a British manager.

I've nothing against Koeman - he has a good record - but I guess a generation of us are still scarred by the Wotte Total Football rubbish. There is no doubt that Koeman is not Wotte! But the whole Dutch experience a couple of years ago left a bitter taste.

3 league titles + 5 cup wins + 65 games managing in the champions league (59) and Eufa cup (6)

Thats not too bad? The only job he's "failed" at was Valencia and even then he had a similar win % as MP did here.

How come you were allowed back? Did you have to make certain promises?

For me Moyes is the only one person who can come in and settle the ship straight away, I think we can afford him, the issue is would he want to move south.

We finished 8th last season and for the moment still have the 8th best squad in the league.

Moyes is unlikely to get a better offer than us for a while. Cant see any top 4-5 club touching him again.

He built a superb reputation at Everton over 10 years. This was all lost in 10 months at United.

Still a top manager though imho

We finished 8th last season and for the moment still have the 8th best squad in the league.

Moyes is unlikely to get a better offer than us for a while. Cant see any top 4-5 club touching him again.

He built a superb reputation at Everton over 10 years. This was all lost in 10 months at United.

Ready made back room staff with Chris Woods, Steve Round and maybe even Phil Neville

That's a good read on the strength of that he would be perfect for saints.

Possibly. Until a look at the twitter handle reveals it's written by a 19 year old kid with no more journalistic pedigree than half the people who post on here.

For attracting 'names' Koeman might be a good choice. Somebody said he's only failed at Valencia - that's bull****, his stint at Benfica, in the context of the Portuguese League can also be considered a failure. He also bombed at AZ and was sacked.

He's done well with PSV and Ajax - hardly suprising given their relative strength in Holland. The bottom line is that he's a big 'name' so some people are wetting their pants about him. His record as manager is distinctly average and he is not what we need.

Possibly. Until a look at the twitter handle reveals it's written by a 19 year old kid with no more journalistic pedigree than half the people who post on here.

For attracting 'names' Koeman might be a good choice. Somebody said he's only failed at Valencia - that's bull****, his stint at Benfica, in the context of the Portuguese League can also be considered a failure. He also bombed at AZ and was sacked.

He's done well with PSV and Ajax - hardly suprising given their relative strength in Holland. The bottom line is that he's a big 'name' so some people are wetting their pants about him. His record as manager is distinctly average and he is not what we need.

Who is 'wetting themselves' over Koeman? Seems to be just good, well balanced discussion. If you're expecting a perfect manager, good luck with your wait. Who would be your first few choices for new manager?

Who is 'wetting themselves' over Koeman? Seems to be just good, well balanced discussion. If you're expecting a perfect manager, good luck with your wait. Who would be your first few choices for new manager?

Okay, 'wetting themselves' might be an exaggeration but....perhaps understandably people are impressed by the name Koeman when just even a small degree of scrutiny suggests a patchy managerial career at best.

My first few choices...I honestly don't know. Seems like Yakin might be going elsewhere - I would be pleased with him (albeit on the basis of building one decent team at Basel). Of the ones being linked, I suppose Moyes should be a safe pair of hands and it'd be hard to be too disappointed with him - not exactly renowned for his attacking football though.

Gross is being linked because of the Swiss connection. Still more likely to be Yakin if they do go that route, despite Peachy saying it's unlikely to be an non-English speaker. Many of those linked have pros and cons and one fans delight will be another's horror show. TBH most being linked could do a decent job here. One thing's for sure, we are not going to get an Ancellotti, a Pellogrini, or a Guardiola.

I can see McLaren being a shoe-in due to his connections with Reed and the England set-up. I will be seriously concerned if we appoint him or Gross.

Why ? Plays good football, doesnt mind working with Youth, good connections in the game, excellent coach and apart from

Forest and England done v v well.

Plus if we lose Lallana hopefully he can drag Bamford and Hughes with him

**** off glasgow

19 or not he seems infinately more informed and articulate then yourself

Mate who is a bookie said someone put 8 grand on Oscar Garcia this morning at 25/1.

Garcia would be hilarious!

You can still get 25/1 for Garcia with SkyBet and Ladbrokes.

McClaren's odds have shortened with pretty much every bookie today.

Edited by shirleysfc

Garcia would be hilarious!

You can still get 25/1 for Garcia with SkyBet and Ladbrokes.

McClaren's odds have shortened with pretty much every bookie today.

I don't see us going for an in-work Manager.

Not sure we are cut-throat enough to take a decent Manager away from a club, unless it was at L1 or L2 type level.

I'm starting to not care who it is as long as it's done soon! Normally I'd advocate taking our time with an appointment, making the right choice etc, but this feels like one of this times where we just need someone in quick, a figurehead that can speak to the press, steady the ship and encourage the players that this is the place to be.

Is "seriously concerned" the most passion you can muster? I agree with you entirely but would go F raving mental if the Club is stupid enough to appoint either of those two clowns here.

They think the Exodus has started? Wait 'til either of those berks turn up at SMS!

Mate who is a bookie said someone put 8 grand on Oscar Garcia this morning at 25/1.

Well that is clearly nonsense! :D

As no bookie has Garcia currently at shorter odds than 14/1, with the highest being 25/1. If someone had put £8k on at 25/1 this morning they would stand to win £200k and the market across all bookmakers would quickly be suspended after odds quickly dropped.

In any case, would a bookie even take a £8k bet at 25/1 for something that is down to a human decision rather than a sporting event and can easily leak?

Edited by Matthew Le God

As no bookie has Garcia currently at shorter odds than 14/1, with the highest being 25/1. If someone had put £8k on at 25/1 this morning they would stand to win £200k and the market across all bookmakers would quickly be suspended after odds quickly dropped.

In any case, would a bookie even take a £8k bet at 25/1 for something that is down to a human decision rather than a sporting event and can easily leak?

Exactly - they don't allow those size bets on their 'specials'

Why the hell would we want Garcia? What would appeal to anyone? He's utter dross, failed at Brighton and simply an unproven NPC manager.

I'm still certain this is agent driven tosh, I know the board at the club leave a lot to be desired but I cannot see them being this stupid. It would just be incomprehensible. After Yakin and Koeman have simply flashed about their availability, and then we go and get Garcia instead. Yeah, don't buy it.

According to the Daily Fail we've asked Garcia if he's interested. And the Fail never lies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2642252/Oscar-Garcia-faces-St-Marys-dilemma-Southampton-Spaniard-dreams-managing-Celtic.html

Hmm I was completely whelmed by the appointment of Adkins.

I'd think I might just rip some walls down and throw my laptop out the window if we bring in someone that even Brighton fans don't like

I've heard a rumour Yakins move to CSKA has failed. Can anyone confirm that as I have done some research and my Russian is poor (non existent).

I thought it was Spartak Moscow and all going through

Sounds or reads good. Would continue with our possession football philosophy. just a little wary of the I never change things attitude - no plan b ( whatever that means).

I apologise for being the only person in the history of the forum for having an instinctive gut reaction response to a potential recruit to Southampton Football Club.

Luckily there are lots of other scholars here prepared to discuss the intricacies of rhe Swiss League with you. Have fun.

To be fair to Gross his record is good and is even better that Yakin's at the same club and yoi were keen on Yakin.

Yakin: 56% win percentage in his last job at Basel. Thems pretty big apples in the only stat that counts.

And dapper looking chap too, he does the swarthy, smouldering look better than Poch.

Basically, all ends up, it has to be Yakin. Saints legend in the making.

I'm worried that by the time we get around to drawing up a short list all the best candidates will have committed to other clubs. Surely by the time Pochittino quit serious candidates should have been decided on, called to see if they were interested and interviewed.

It is said Murat Yakin is off to Spartak Moscow but he's not signed yet. No good waiting, we need to make him an alternative offer he can't refuse. He's been offered a 2 year deal, we can easily offer him longer.

Same goes to other candidates, in that we should be checking out already if they're interested and call them in for an interview.

The one person at the root of all the offers for our players has to be Roy Hodgson, who will be wanting as many as possible of his England players playing together regularly. We must appoint someone as manager as soon as possible.

when Burley was close to being appointed Scotland manager, we weren't allowed to put on more £50 I think! No way a bookie takes £8000 on a market where there always insider knowledge

The blame culture is really true and alive on this forum......it must be the Dons fault, it must be Poch's fault, it must be the new boards fault......ffs grow up! Before our fantastic last season would Liverpool have been interested in Lambert, Lallana and Lovren.....of bloody course not and these players would probably have been going nowhere had it not been for the past season. Ricky has earned his right to his move and so has Adam who stayed with us through thick and thin. If Lovren goes its because he has had an excellent season, his value has increased and he gets Champions league football......please don't anyone tell me these players would have happily stayed. In many ways we are a victim of our success and all our board can do is get what they feel is the best prices for players wanting to go and invest that money wisely......instead of being so negative why don't some of you look on this as a knew and hopefully exciting era.....believe me you might actually have a nice weekend instead of raising your blood levels!!

If a contract doesn't mean that a player/manager stays to the end of it then what is the point in having a contract in the first place if they can leave whenever they want ? Time to play hard ball imo !

The blame culture is really true and alive on this forum......it must be the Dons fault, it must be Poch's fault, it must be the new boards fault......ffs grow up! Before our fantastic last season would Liverpool have been interested in Lambert, Lallana and Lovren.....of bloody course not and these players would probably have been going nowhere had it not been for the past season. Ricky has earned his right to his move and so has Adam who stayed with us through thick and thin. If Lovren goes its because he has had an excellent season, his value has increased and he gets Champions league football......please don't anyone tell me these players would have happily stayed. In many ways we are a victim of our success and all our board can do is get what they feel is the best prices for players wanting to go and invest that money wisely......instead of being so negative why don't some of you look on this as a knew and hopefully exciting era.....believe me you might actually have a nice weekend instead of raising your blood levels!!

My thoughts exactly. Instead of constant criticism of the board why don't people start looking at the players. Its not like they're being sold against their will.