The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

Pochettino - no league titles, no cup wins, no finals, highest ever league finish 8th.

Koeman - 3 league titles, 5 cup wins, 65 games in Europe (59 champions league) multiple cup finals.

nn

How about a bit of context, Glasgow. MP with a stint at a selling club in Spain, relying on youngsters ultimately and a little more than a season at Saints where he had us playing some of the best football seen in the Prem. The other with multiple opportunities at the strongest clubs in the Netherlands and Portugal for a considerably longer time frame. You may have changed your moniker but the rest is relentlessly the same tripe.

Koeman would be good. Hard to know though whether the reports have much in them, or are derived from his Agent's comments.

Almost goes without saying for the Dutch, but he speaks good English. Would imagine probably Spanish too from his time in Spain.

Edited by Saint Charlie

I'd just like to reemphasise one point on Koeman. His style of football requires attacking midfielders. He would want Lallana to provide that - of that I'm sure.

I think that could be the one stumbling point - part of me thinks that if he says no (having almost been volunteered by his agent for the job) then we are about to sell the players he needs to succeed. Of course I'm speculating here, but Les needs to secure a manager akin to Koeman and our captain this summer. That is my ultimatum to him or else I will be a little bit grumpy.

nn

How about a bit of context, Glasgow. MP with a stint at a selling club in Spain, relying on youngsters ultimately and a little more than a season at Saints where he had us playing some of the best football seen in the Prem. The other with multiple opportunities at the strongest clubs in the Netherlands and Portugal for a considerably longer time frame. You may have changed your moniker but the rest is relentlessly the same tripe.

Not sure that's entirely fair. He's taken over clubs and had to rely on youngsters coaching them to success - I hope that doesn't happen this summer, but he's not had entirely the easy ride you're hinting at. Let's give him a chance.

He is better than MP in my opinion. Proven as better than MP with his record. Could be very exciting.

Moyes has just told TalkSport he is going to take a year or two out of football before taking up a new position, so rules out an excellent candidate. :(

Then Koeman is the best choice.

What's more if I were a Spurs fan and saw Saints appointing Koeman (&keeping Lallana) I'd feel as if Levy had screwed up again!

Edited by SaintRobbie

Not sure that's entirely fair. He's taken over clubs and had to rely on youngsters coaching them to success - I hope that doesn't happen this summer, but he's not had entirely the easy ride you're hinting at. Let's give him a chance.

He is better than MP in my opinion. Proven as better than MP with his record. Could be very exciting.

Yes, I agree he would be an exciting appointment, and don't we need some good news. My point was that Glasgow's bald statistics comparing MP and RK are misleading and not the full story. RK does have the better record as things stand but he has had considerably longer to build the CV. In time I expect MP to be managing better clubs than Spurs.

Koeman has been the odds on favourite since MP left. He's now at 6/4 with Sean Dyche 2nd fav at 5/1. Moyes is climbing though and now 3rd fav at 6/1

Still its Southampton so id still expect a surprise or disappointment.

Glasgow, how come you were allowed back? Did you have to make some promises to the admins?

By the way - I'd like to add that Moyes has always been my first choice and still is. One of the reasons is because I sense Koeman will succeed and will be a journey man who will end up somewhere like Spurs or even better in 2 years time. Moyes for me would offer a longer commitment.

I sense Koeman on a 2 year contract will be what we see, Moyes may have gone for 4 years... But let's see.

Yes, I agree he would be an exciting appointment, and don't we need some good news. My point was that Glasgow's bald statistics comparing MP and RK are misleading and not the full story. RK does have the better record as things stand but he has had considerably longer to build the CV. In time I expect MP to be managing better clubs than Spurs.

I understand what you were saying and it was a wise caution. I hope MP goes on to bigger and better, he will always be popular at Saints.

I'd just like to reemphasise one point on Koeman. His style of football requires attacking midfielders. He would want Lallana to provide that - of that I'm sure.

I think that could be the one stumbling point - part of me thinks that if he says no (having almost been volunteered by his agent for the job) then we are about to sell the players he needs to succeed. Of course I'm speculating here, but Les needs to secure a manager akin to Koeman and our captain this summer. That is my ultimatum to him or else I will be a little bit grumpy.

Lallana is gone. Any Manager coming in will know that.

To those who think this is a good post, better keep your heads in the sand because you may not like what you find when you look up. Since when was it a twilight of a player's career when he's just played his first games for England and is called up for the World Cup? Refusing a bid because it's not high enough is not the same as stating that a player will not be sold. When will these people start to demand some competence from this board? Will it be after the 2nd sale of an international player, or the 3rd, or the 4th?

Well I think it was a good post, whereas yours is not - IMHO of course. Please tell me what the board are doing at the moment that smacks of incompetence? There may be plenty of reasons to think that in the coming weeks, but at the moment they are playing it quite well. Given the current situation, what would you have them do differently?

Koeman candidate in Southampton

Ronald Koeman does not yet know where he will coach next season .. © ANP Ronald Koeman is one of the two remaining candidates for the vacancy at Southampton head coach . The English Premier League club has a great season so far , led by Mauricio Pochettino . The Argentine coach has become the new coach of Tottenham Hotspur , where he has signed for five years.

Koeman preys after his voluntary departure from Feyenoord , where he has taken on an adventure in England for three years. Maximum out of the team It's close to home and that competition is not he previously worked as a trainer or as a footballer . " In the Netherlands I see myself in the first years as a trainer be ," he said in his farewell at De Kuip .

Southampton want knots in the next week heels. Although the club is not one of the largest in England, thanks to the strong seasonal entitled to almost 65 million in TV rights . That gives the club again clout in the transfer market .

Ron is the man for me. Hopefully appointed this week to steady the ship.

Lyon were champions of France 7 years in a row before Puel was appointed. Since he joined them they have been going downhill.

Of course that's all Puel's fault, and nothing to do with the fact that Monaco and PSG have bought everyone.

Would be interesting to see Window's views on this one.

Nice only just stayed up this season. From reading about him, it wouldn't be an overly exciting appointment.

Do you mean in the same way that Pochettino didn't seem a good signing based on his latter results at Espanol? Or like Adkins didn't seem an exciting prospect before him? From what I read about him, his chararacter seems very similar to Pochettino's

Of course that's all Puel's fault, and nothing to do with the fact that Monaco and PSG have bought everyone.

Would be interesting to see Window's views on this one.

No. That was in 2009 before PSG and Monaco started investing.

Won French league with Monaco in his first job. Went onto Lille then to Lyon now at Nice. Looks to average about 45% win ratio overall. Maybe the two rumoured to be on shortlist are him and Koeman.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk

Good short list if that is the case.

Lyon were champions of France 7 years in a row before Puel was appointed. Since he joined them they have been going downhill.

Can't let you say that. They have been going downhill because they had to sell all of their players off. Their model was high spending was simply not sustainable.

They have now changed their philosophy and trying to build from the academy and have some cracking youngsters coming through. George Prost is now working there.

Don't think Window will give you an objective view of Lyon as he used to work for Saint Etienne who hate Lyon. So Window hates Lyon and their president Aulas. Has always criticized him on here.

As for Puel don't know too much about him. Just know that wherever he has been, he likes his defences to be tight and sometimes plays too defensive, so can't really see why he is being linked here as that s not really our philosophy.

He also has his 2 sons playing for him at Nice (a la Pulis or Bruce)

I understand what you were saying and it was a wise caution. I hope MP goes on to bigger and better, he will always be popular at Saints.

Not with me he won't. I always thought he was a self-centred back-stabbing ***t and he has never done anything to alter that opinion. I hope he is a monumental failure at Spuds and fades into obscurity.

I wouldn't be dismayed if Moyes was appointed......Koeman would be slightly more favourable.....Yakin would be quite exciting.

To be honest it's all just a gamble whoever we take on.

Pochettino was an unknown that turned out pretty good....he too will fall from grace at some point.

We have just been very lucky this past season,all the parts of the jigsaw fell into place,and now those players that excelled are being cherry picked.

We are not yet big enough and established as a top side to dictate to others who we want.....who we want to keep.

It's the way football is,however depressing.

We don't have the standing in football as some of the 'big guns'.......but we are an exciting prospect to the right candidate I'm sure.

I just hope the present incumbents of this great club have the know how and foresight and vision to make the right appointment.......they are the only ones that can be congratulated or blamed for the fortunes of SFC.

Big decisions ahead.

If they falter, I will be,like many on here,disgusted at them for not taking the opportunity to progress from where we are now.

The foundations to make us an example to follow in the footballing fraternity is laid.......do they have the desire to carry that on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not with me he won't. I always thought he was a self-centred back-stabbing ***t and he has never done anything to alter that opinion. I hope he is a monumental failure at Spuds and fades into obscurity.

Agree and same drama queens who get worked up and seem to have so much pent up rage yet don't vent it on the right people IMO. He would have left regardless and was obvious in last few weeks.

Sod this wish him well boll0cks.

Can't let you say that. They have been going downhill because they had to sell all of their players off. Their model was high spending was simply not sustainable.

They have now changed their philosophy and trying to build from the academy and have some cracking youngsters coming through. George Prost is now working there.

Don't think Window will give you an objective view of Lyon as he used to work for Saint Etienne who hate Lyon. So Window hates Lyon and their president Aulas. Has always criticized him on here.

As for Puel don't know too much about him. Just know that wherever he has been, he likes his defences to be tight and sometimes plays too defensive, so can't really see why he is being linked here as that s not really our philosophy.

He also has his 2 sons playing for him at Nice (a la Pulis or Bruce)

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation but I would say that it's because of their decline whilst Puel was manager that income fell and they have now changed their philosophy. I don't know enough to say it was Puel's fault: could well have been bad decisions from Aulas.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation but I would say that it's because of their decline whilst Puel was manager that income fell and they have now changed their philosophy. I don't know enough to say it was Puel's fault: could well have been bad decisions from Aulas.

I m not saying he was entirely to blame, as when he left Lyon he had upset some supporters and players with his management style.

However, when he was at Lille and Monaco he was very successful.

At Nice he hasn't got a very big budget so considering the circumstances he has done pretty well and brought some young players through.

I wouldn't be dismayed if Moyes was appointed......Koeman would be slightly more favourable.....Yakin would be quite exciting.

To be honest it's all just a gamble whoever we take on.

Pochettino was an unknown that turned out pretty good....he too will fall from grace at some point.

We have just been very lucky this past season,all the parts of the jigsaw fell into place,and now those players that excelled are being cherry picked.

We are not yet big enough and established as a top side to dictate to others who we want.....who we want to keep.

It's the way football is,however depressing.

We don't have the standing in football as some of the 'big guns'.......but we are an exciting prospect to the right candidate I'm sure.

I just hope the present incumbents of this great club have the know how and foresight and vision to make the right appointment.......they are the only ones that can be congratulated or blamed for the fortunes of SFC.

Big decisions ahead.

If they falter, I will be,like many on here,disgusted at them for not taking the opportunity to progress from where we are now.

The foundations to make us an example to follow in the footballing fraternity is laid.......do they have the desire to carry that on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great post!