The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

Regarding the potential appointment of Koeman, I'm erring on the side of 'positive caution' for want of a better term. He has a certain stature that we undoubtedly require to steady the ship however his track record outside of Holland is questionable to say the least.

If he is to be the new manager, I thank my lucky stars we haven't opted for the likes of Garcia, Dyche, Mackay or Lennon.

Feyenoord also have one or two quality players who could certainly do well in the Premier League.

To clarify, 5 years ago in league 1 I said at no point would you ever be happy with anything at saints, and now you are unhappy about the prospect of Ronald Koeman?

World class footballer and experienced manager Ronald Koeman, when on other threads you are claiming liquidation and yes men and cheap options.

So again to make it very clear to everyone, you are unhappy with Ronald Koeman?

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

;)

No problem with you sticking around, but why did you post in argument to yourself? How can you possibly explain that?

SaintRichmond.jpg

Skirting this is not going to do you any good. Unless you can explain this you have no credibility i'm afraid.

How odd...

So who is saintrichmond really then? Clearly either schizophrenia or multi log-in **** up at play there.

Seen plenty go to those odds and not get appointed, but it's a good sign!

If Koeman had been appointed immediately after MP left, I'd have been 60% positive, 40% doubting his record and time spent at clubs. With with all the sale rumours, the mass hysteria on here, the over the top asset stripping/liquidation garbage, the frankly disgusting turning on the Liebherr family etc., I'll be delighted that a high calibre manager is coming in and the club clearly still has ambition. Whether it works out will come down to managerial decisions, talent, players and luck, but I'm fine with that.

Wonder if Meulensteen wants a job. Being dutch they obviously know each other right?! Great coach and good Prem experience with Utd and Fulham, be a very useful no. 2 if his Feyenoord assistant can't come along.

totally agree m po did a good job whilehe was here and fans need to deal with reality whoever is our next manager will only spend a few years at the club that is modern football .

So the club announced today that no more transfers will be decided until we have a new manager in place. If that's to be believed, do you think the club will drag out the managerial appointment so we don't get any outs before the World Cup? Or is that wishful thinking?

So the club announced today that no more transfers will be decided until we have a new manager in place. If that's to be believed, do you think the club will drag out the managerial appointment so we don't get any outs before the World Cup? Or is that wishful thinking?

No I don't think they'll do that, no point heaping all the world's ills upon them. They're doing what they can, whether they have the necessary competences to do it well remains to be seen.

Personally I really don't fancy Koeman because I've no respect whatsoever for the Dutch league and his two forays outside it have been dubious to say the least, still the majority seem to be willing to welcome him so we'll see.

Edited by Window Cleaner

No I don't think they'll do that, no point heaping all the world's ills upon them. They're doing what they can, whether they have the necessary competences to do it well remains to be seen.

Personally I really don't fancy Koeman because I've no respect whatsover for the Dutch league and his two forays outside it have been dubious to say the least, still the majority seem to be willing to welcome him so we'll see.

In his defense, the Valencia job was a viper's nest that definitely mitigated his failure. Still, I share your concerns - think people (of a certain age) are falling for the player rather than the manager.

In his defense, the Valencia job was a viper's nest that definitely mitigated his failure. Still, I share your concerns - think people (of a certain age) are falling for the player rather than the manager.

Yeah get what you mean but I think when we compare what Mopo was doing before we signed him if we sign Koeman we should believe in the guys who have scouted him and his system to fit within our approach.

More importantly i think it is Koeman purely as he is a RK as well so Canadian RK would love him.

If Gaston leaves hopefully Dutch RK looks to recruit Piazon via Chelsea who had a great season in the dutch league this season.

Edited by Convict Colony
meant season not week

The following Dutch Players played under Koeman at Feyenoord & are in the 23 for the world cup. Which means if he is the manager we will be linked with all 5!!

Stefan de Vrij - CB

Bruno Martins Indi - CB & LB

Daryl Janmaat - Right Back

Terence Kongolo - CB

Jordy Clasie - Midfielder

Don't want Koeman. His man management at Valencia was really dreadful. Got all the players against him pretty quick. Even Joaquin, who never says something negative spoke about him in very bad terms.

Don't want Koeman. His man management at Valencia was really dreadful. Got all the players against him pretty quick. Even Joaquin, who never says something negative spoke about him in very bad terms.

Don't worry, he won't have time to turn everyone against him, he'll be at Tottenham come January after MoPo is sacked.

ToreSF....what just like he has at feyenoord (oh, hang on that didn't happen). Valencia was 6 years ago and they were in turmoil anyway. Just like MP being sacked by Espanyol before getting the saints job.....

Koeman fills me with more confidence than David Moyes.

Anyone who gets the job will have my full support

The following Dutch Players played under Koeman at Feyenoord & are in the 23 for the world cup. Which means if he is the manager we will be linked with all 5!!

Stefan de Vrij - CB

Terence Kongolo - CB

Well i don't know about the others but i wouldn't recommend Clasie, remember him from France-Holland back in March, he was absolutely flipping atrocious, totally clueless against good players like Pogba and Cabaye. Perhaps he just had an off day though...a very off day.

Say Koeman did join and the squad remained intact. How would we slot our players into his reported 3-5-2 formation? Would certainly be very different than what we're familiar with seeing. Would be excited to see Clyne / Chambers / Shaw as wing-backs with less defensive responsibility. Not sure how the other players fit in though.

Stefan de Vrij - CB

Terence Kongolo - CB

Interesting how when MoPo left we didn't like the fact the press were linking our players to follow him to Spurs. But the first thing we expect when we appoint a new manager is what players from his old club can he bring with him!

Well i don't know about the others but i wouldn't recommend Clasie, remember him from France-Holland back in March, he was absolutely flipping atrocious, totally clueless against good players like Pogba and Cabaye. Perhaps he just had an off day though...a very off day.

There's a fair bit of hype around Clasie. Serious talk of him following van Gaal to united.

Hard to judge on one game, the one time I saw him he had a good game, and played a blinding pass to set up RvP for a cracking goal.

Let's hope if we were to sign him, the scouts will have watched more than one game.

There's a fair bit of hype around Clasie. Serious talk of him following van Gaal to united.

Hard to judge on one game, the one time I saw him he had a good game, and played a blinding pass to set up RvP for a cracking goal.

Let's hope if we were to sign him, the scouts will have watched more than one game.

Let Utd have him, we owe them a favour.

Let Utd have him, we owe them a favour.

You know what this place would be like, WE SHOULD HAVE SIGNED HIM :hunt:

I'm not too fussed, as I said I saw him once and he had a good game and made a very good goal. My point was I just hope whoever is in charge of transfers looks at players over more than one game.

That's probably the same as any manager/player, isn't it?

Shall we just sign rubbish, that way no one will ever want to sign anyone from us, and no one will ever leave!

oh i dunno, if koeman does well big clubs will be falling over themselves to take him off us cos omg it's koeman!!! If it was someone unfashionable doing well, i.e like god bless him dear old speccy geek nigel adkins, Barcelona would prob hold their horses for a bit longer before wading in.

oh i dunno, if koeman does well big clubs will be falling over themselves to take him off us cos omg it's koeman!!! If it was someone unfashionable doing well, i.e like god bless him dear old speccy geek nigel adkins, Barcelona would prob hold their horses for a bit longer before wading in.

Poch wasn't exactly a household name super star over here until he got the job at Saints.

Took how long for a 'bigger' club to come in for him here?

Stefan de Vrij - CB

Terence Kongolo - CB

Sadly Holland aren't known for their strong defences. De Vrij is hot property but I expect he'll be off somewhere bigger.

That's probably the same as any manager/player, isn't it?

Shall we just sign rubbish, that way no one will ever want to sign anyone from us, and no one will ever leave!

If you opt for somebody like Moyes it is unlikely that he will move again without serious consideration.

Frank Rijkaard wasn't bad...

Nor Van Bronkhorst, but their last few tournament squads haven't been up to much defensively. Ron Vlaar was their captain until recently!

It doesn't mean those players are undesirable, just that 'Dutch international' isn't a guarantee of quality in the way a Spanish or Brazilian international would be.

Nor Van Bronkhorst, but their last few tournament squads haven't been up to much defensively. Ron Vlaar was their captain until recently!

It doesn't mean those players are undesirable, just that 'Dutch international' isn't a guarantee of quality in the way a Spanish or Brazilian international would be.

they did make the final of the WC last time though, there are still a few ageing remnants from that side going into this one.

Played awful football in the final though.

If you opt for somebody like Moyes it is unlikely that he will move again without serious consideration.

Still left when the big offer came in though. He may have had some offers before, but I can't think of many.

If someone is a success, it'll turn heads. Sadly, that's just how it goes.

I'd rather get someone who comes in and does a good job, and attracts attention and possibly leaves, as opposed to some one that comes in, does an average job and stays for yonks being average because no one else wants them.

Unless Saints (or any other team just below the established 'top 7' clubs) crack through to 'the next level', this is probably what will always happen. Sadly.