The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

When you come down to it, what manager is there who has a completely successful record, apart from those who have little or no record?

They've all got flaws, as did Pochettino.

Koeman's career win ratio is well over 50% btw, including his only poor spell, when he was at Valencia . Pochettino's record with is was what 35%? Different leagues, different circumstances yes, but Koeman's record includes CL, and Benfica, Ajax, Valencia, Feyenord etc are not Mickey Mouse clubs by anyone's standards.

Rosler for me.

Martinez and Rodgers came from the championship and look at how well they are doing. Harry whatshisname didn't exactly set the world alight this year with QPR but has done well in the Premier League. Less snobbery needed I think.

Koeman - record isn't great from what I've read; lots of teams gradually getting worse.

Laudrup - too many issues (and won't hang around)

McClaren - very up and down. A gamble. Then again, who isn't?

Mackay - NO. PLEASE NOT HIM.

Garde - from what I've read sounds good; by all accounts he wants a break from management this year.

Yakin - was keen, but now hesitant. Some comments about him being fairly defensive at times in winnable games.

Howe - could be great; could struggle. A gamble but more likely a long term appointment.

Tuchel - sounds impressive but a gamble (just like MPo I guess)

Garcia - by all accounts Brighton fans weren't too pleased with him.

Moyes - can't make my mind up at all. Experienced but not keen on style of football... guess I've been so spoilt with good football for a few years I don't want to go backwards.

It's not so much of who we WANT

It's who would WANT to come here

IMHO, not many, in spite of Kruege'rs supposed mega applicant list (don't believe you Ralph )

Like it or not, we are Damaged Goods in complete Freefall

Edited by SaintRichmond
add prose

IMHO, not many, in spite of Kruege'rs supposed mega applicant list (don't believe you Ralph )

I'm interested in what specific FACTS this statement is based on?

The fact his and Yakin's agents have already been touting their clients, just shows the draw of the PL.

If we don't appoint someone half decent it really will crown this shambles as a meltdown.

Exactly this. There are posters running around giving themselves needless stress with no basis. Control the controlables; work to the facts.

If we get a Houghton or Mackay then I'll be joining the rest at the gates of St Mary's, pitchfork and torch in hand.

Until then I'll watch and chill.

For consistency in continuing the style of play under MP Jorge Sampaoli would be my choice. I have no idea if he would consider coming here though.

I suggested this a few pages back and agree he could be a good choice also we keep the interpreter on for another season .:)

Not sure if anyone has already posted this, but an article on the echo saying that Koeman would be open to becoming the saints manager.. althought it is only a couple of quotes from his agent. http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11246503.Dutch_legend__open_to_becoming_Saints_manager_/?ref=var_0

The fact his and Yakin's agents have already been touting their clients, just shows the draw of the PL.

If we don't appoint someone half decent it really will crown this shambles as a meltdown.

I recall Koeman's agent similarly touting him for the Swansea job.

It probably is as Saint Charlie says the draw of the PL. But given the way we are losing or likely to lose our outstanding players, it throws up a bit of a paradox and brings to mind a Groucho Marx quote, to be reworked as 'would we really want to employ someone who is desperate enough to really want to come here' ?

whoever comes in and has to integrate 4-5 new players into the squad and at the same time keep us up, i wish good luck to.

Losing charismatic older players as well as star players is sending shudders through the fanbase and no doubt the players left are not enjoying the summer break

Laudrup is being dismissed as an option due to newspaper reports about his lack of interest and lack of time spent on the training ground. But weren’t the same accusations pointed to MP in a recent newspaper article?

Laudrup would be free, has managed a similar sized club, delivering Europe, cup win/final (the first major trophy in Swansea's 100-year history) + he plays a similar passing style to MP (allowing some continuity at all levels)

Laudrup also has good contacts it seems and his signings for Swansea have been largely impressive (Bony + Michu especially)

He left Swansea in mid-table and still in the FA Cup and Europa League.

Laudrup is a Barcelona-style coach and that's the way we play. He'd be my choice.

Laudrup is a Barcelona-style coach and that's the way we play. He'd be my choice.

Are you sure? Really? After his last debacle at Swansea where he stopped attending training. Not for me.

The way this week is going with Wreck it Ralf and the gang I guess he would be a better option than Wotte and his Total Football.

What about Brendan Rogers? Save us sending them all to him after all. Could be cheaper?

Whose managerial record would you consider better: Koeman or Pochettino?

Its going to be Koeman - the reason? Les Reed bought in Poch with a history of bringing a club up from bottom half to 8th place - it worked. Koeman has a history of rebuilding clubs whose players have been sold off. Guess what?

My bet is going on Koeman.

whoever comes in and has to integrate 4-5 new players into the squad and at the same time keep us up, i wish good luck to.

Losing charismatic older players as well as star players is sending shudders through the fanbase and no doubt the players left are not enjoying the summer break

Absolutely. It feels like Lowe's first and second coming cock ups all rolled in to one.

Edited by SaintRobbie

He tells us that things in the club are only happening on our terms. So they either have control over these events or they do not.

I can't help feeling that the Poch had started to be a problem for them and trying to have more power than they wanted. Hence he had to go. They also clearly are backing the judgement of Les R rightly or wrongly so until this shifts we are in for a bumpy ride.

The players will go where they want and long contracts Ralph just mean you can negotiate fees better.

Money will be spent on players coming in but implies we have seen the last of the the approach we have been seeing.

What ever manager we get will be compliant to orders they give so I think we should not expect a strong personality and likely to be somebody who is learning the trade or on the up.

Where Moyes is concerned I'm sure Fergusson and Strachan would be suggesting to him to go for the Saints job. The more time that elapses the more I believe he is the best candidate to take the club forward.

I don't want any more Dutch coaches experimenting with the own ideas of how the game should be played.

To sort all the mess out in the board room I believe Katharina could do us a favor in bringing the likes of Rupert Lowe back to serve as advisor. He was not far short of being similar to Cortese, just he never had the funds to move forward.

That sounds like the response of a 5 year old in the playground.

I wish it was

Watching Saints since 1956

And before you ask, yes I will still watch the Team, it's the way the Club is currently being fed to the dogs that I detest

Katharina honoured her Fathers 5 year Plan. OK Now she should sell UP, not sell OFF

When Kruger mentioned Les Reed has been flooded with applications from across Europe he probably did mean Scotland (Mackay, McLeish), Wales (Coleman, Pulis), Ireland (McCarthy), Northern Ireland (Lennon) and Israel (Grant)...

When Kruger mentioned Les Reed has been flooded with applications from across Europe he probably did mean Scotland (Mackay, McLeish), Wales (Coleman, Pulis), Ireland (McCarthy), Northern Ireland (Lennon) and Israel (Grant)...

unkind, he's probably had enquiries from the agents of every sacked manager, about to be sacked manager or left his club because of limited transfer budget manager in the whole wide world. A little lesson for you all, Ajaccio last summer appointed

that Italian bloke with silver hair, Ravenelli that's the fella's name, a complete non-entity as a manager, he was going to take them to the next level, sacked after about 6 weeks i think, but they did get to the next level...downwards.

One down.....

"Southampton set to miss out on Murat Yakin with former Basel man headed for Spartak Moscow"

Well that assumes we were ever "in" for him.

We will probably appoint someone unexpected.

unkind, he's probably had enquiries from the agents of every sacked manager, about to be sacked manager or left his club because of limited transfer budget manager in the whole wide world. A little lesson for you all, Ajaccio last summer appointed

that Italian bloke with silver hair, Ravenelli that's the fella's name, a complete non-entity as a manager, he was going to take them to the next level, sacked after about 6 weeks i think, but they did get to the next level...downwards.

The Spanish de Canio, that's a name we haven't seen yet, which in the current circumstances is one small silver lining.

Originally Posted by SaintRichmond viewpost-right.png

I'm interested in what specific FACTS this statement is based on?

If you cannot See what's going on, then I suggest you go to SpecSavers

All we have at present is rumour, counter rumour, press speculation and assumption.

So: specifically, what tangible facts will a trip to Specsavers enable me to see which relate to us being damaged goods and in freefall?

I really should learn to multi-quote properly.

Barring his time at Valencia his win % is very impressive.....even then they won the Copa Del Rey.

I've just got to trust the present incumbents at SFC to make the right decision......nothing any of us can do,we just pay the exorbitant prices for tkts and merchandise and such like.

Such a shame after some great seasons it is all thrown into doubt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

According to reliable Russian sports portal Sportbox, Yakin was about to become a manager of Spartak Moscow today. But something went wrong in 11th hour. Hopefully, Saints related.

http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta/Futbol/Russia/premier_league/spbnews_NI458350_Spartak-otlozhil-naznachenie-YAkina?ref=_63_2_

Cheers - the multilingual mongboard never fails to impress.

Bosses of the capital of "Spartacus" undecided named the new head coach of red and white on the basis of the next meeting of the manual. It is expected that will be announced on Friday that the steering "Spartacus" will be the former head coach of "Basel" Murat Yakin . However, according to the source, it does not happen.

General Director of "Spartacus" Roman Askhabadze declined to comment on the unexpected delay in the decision.

Red and white is necessary to define the new head coach until June 16, when the players come out of the holiday.

Bosses of the capital of "Spartacus" undecided named the new head coach of red and white on the basis of the next meeting of the manual. It is expected that will be announced on Friday that the steering "Spartacus" will be the former head coach of "Basel" Murat Yakin . However, according to the source, it does not happen.

General Director of "Spartacus" Roman Askhabadze declined to comment on the unexpected delay in the decision.

Red and white is necessary to define the new head coach until June 16, when the players come out of the holiday.

Which means we need to quickly define Yakin as our red and white head coach before June 16.

From the Swiss media 25 minutes ago

http://www.nzz.ch/aktuell/sport/fussball/murat-yakin-1.18312645

Football

Offer from Moscow

Yakin negotiations with Spartak

25 minutes ago

Bookmark Print Email

Murat Yakin will coach at Spartak Moscow, according to Russian media. Murat Yakin is, according to Russian media coach at Spartak Moscow (Photo by Keystone / Gillieron).

(Cen.) The Russian giants Spartak Moscow is interested in a commitment by Murat Yakin as a coach. He offers the Basel on a two year contract. Signed should not be the contract but.

Yakin's contract with FC Basel has been resolved two weeks ago, a few days after winning the league title. The people in charge of Spartak and Yakin have met a few days ago in Basel. Spartak has completed the season in a disappointing sixth place and is led by an interim coach. As assistant of Yakin Sergei Gorlukowitsch to act, who has played in the Bundesliga with Bayer Uerdingen and Borussia Dortmund.

Whether Yakin follows the offer is open. He can not speak the language and would have to engage in a foreign social environment. As a player of Fenerbahce in Istanbul it has not please this.

Spartak still in the Europa League?

(AP) · Due to licensing errors of the Russian Football Cup winners FK Rostov may not start in the Europa League and should be replaced by record champions Spartak Moscow. The necessary documents should be sent to the UEFA according to Russian media still on Friday.

Rostow's final opponents FK Krasnodar is already qualified as a fifth league for the Europa League. Despite the licensing issues Rostov allowed to compete in the upcoming season in the Russian league.

Has anyone actually heard any solid hints or rumours about koeman joining us? - there have been loads of little tidbits about all the other contenders but I haven't heard any actually about him. Considering his odds are so short, where's all the betting money coming from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anyone actually heard any solid hints or rumours about koeman joining us? - there have been loads of little tidbits about all the other contenders but I haven't heard any actually about him. Considering his odds are so short, where's all the betting money coming from?

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11246503.Dutch_legend__open_to_becoming_Saints_manager_/