Anyone but cortese

Batman

Bring back Cortese

If he were still here

Cork and Fontes contracts would have been sorted months ago

There would be limited departures (i.e only those he wanted)

He would be organising the players summer training camp post world cup and the speculation on here would be on who is coming in not who is going as well as the usual criticism of us starting our business too late!

Bring back Cortese

If he were still here

He would be organising the players summer training camp post world cup and the speculation on here would be on who is coming in not who is going as well as the usual criticism of us starting our business too late!

And maybe he would have been spending money he had no right to spend pushing us towards another financial precipice....ever considered that?

And maybe he would have been spending money he had no right to spend pushing us towards another financial precipice....ever considered that?

Cortese was not a financial risk taker he was very careful in fact the value of the club (the assets) always increased at a greater rate than the money he spent.

i.e. he invested well if he was a risk taker do you think Markus would have put him in charge? Just look at the current value of our players and club for example compared to the value in league 1

This is going to be the new SWF myth, isn't it? "If Cortese was still here, none of this would be happening, we'd be progressing upwards rather than looking downwards".

Dear oh Lord. It's going to be a very long summer.

are you certain MP would have gone if NC was still here. If not do you also feel everything would be unraveling as quickly as it seems now? NC departure IMO helped make a lot of decisions now. However much you might not like it, the players brought into the dream as well as MP. We lost the driver , and the coach lost its way up the winding road.

are you certain. MP would have gone if. NC was still here. If not do you also feel everything would be unraveling as quickly as it seems now? NC departure IMO helped make a lot of decisions now. However much you might not like it, the players brought into the dream as well as MP. Losing the driver and the coach lost its way up the winding road.

No Nick, I'm not certain about anything. Neither are you, or anyone else.

What I'm pretty much convinced of, though, is that Cortese was on a spending spree that wasn't sustainable and it was a primary reason of why he walked away / was given the shove. he banged on for year on year about living within our means without actually achieving it. then the new board take over and make various references to overspending and the general financial situation that needs reigning in.

If Cortese was still here and had the authority to spend as we was before, then I'd agree we'd likely still be in much, much better shape than we actually are. I just choose to ask the question of why he is not here, and the answer of "a perilous financial situation with unsustainable losses" keeps coming back.

This is going to be the new SWF myth, isn't it? "If Cortese was still here, none of this would be happening, we'd be progressing upwards rather than looking downwards".

You would have to admit that there would be more stability and at least some stuff more organised? We don 't even have pre-season camp sorted.

You would have to admit that there would be more stability and at least some stuff more organised? We don 't even have pre-season camp sorted.

We didn't announce that until 21 June last year, Diggo.

Don't get me wrong, I think we're a shambles at the moment. The perception is terrible, and I'm losing faith by the day. But the idea that all would be rosyy if only Cortese were here is limited IMO, and very assumptive.

We didn't announce that until 21 June last year, Diggo.

Don't get me wrong, I think we're a shambles at the moment. The perception is terrible, and I'm losing faith by the day. But the idea that all would be rosyy if only Cortese were here is limited IMO, and very assumptive.

Yea true, it's all assumptive but I'm not too sure about the exact reasons for what's happening. If a precarious financial situation is to blame, the bew board could use that to their advantage but as of this week, the club is supposedly in the strongest position it's ever been in which wouldn't have been the case if Cortese had spent 5 years on an uncontrollable spending spree. I see Lambert for example is going for 40K a week which shows that wages at the club can't be elaborate and transfer fee's have been inline with what is expected in the prem, especially when building from the lower leagues.

Yea true, it's all assumptive but I'm not too sure about the exact reasons for what's happening. If a precarious financial situation is to blame, the bew board could use that to their advantage but as of this week, the club is supposedly in the strongest position it's ever been in which wouldn't have been the case if Cortese had spent 5 years on an uncontrollable spending spree. I see Lambert for example is going for 40K a week which shows that wages at the club can't be elaborate and transfer fee's have been inline with what is expected in the prem, especially when building from the lower leagues.

Haven't seen wages but I reckon £40K is probably not right, surely? Not for a current England international at a Champs League club. If we're not offering more on a short term deal but (arguably) have Ramirez on his £2M a year net (up to £80K if that's anywhere true) then I guess it says "something". Quite what that is, I don't know!

It was rumoured that in the lower leagues we were paying Lambert and Lallana £25K a week. If their wages "only" grew by £10K or £15K in the ensuing rise then it's an indication of the challenges we will face recruiting anyone decent enough to retain a top ten place.

Edited by The Kraken

What's happening ? It's fairly straightforward, non-football people have discovered a big bag of lovely sweeties that they can sell to to big kids and replace with less lovely sweeties costing less. Boy scouts jumble sale approach.

Edited by Window Cleaner

No Nick, I'm not certain about anything. Neither are you, or anyone else.

What I'm pretty much convinced of, though, is that Cortese was on a spending spree that wasn't sustainable and it was a primary reason of why he walked away / was given the shove. he banged on for year on year about living within our means without actually achieving it. then the new board take over and make various references to overspending and the general financial situation that needs reigning in.

If Cortese was still here and had the authority to spend as we was before, then I'd agree we'd likely still be in much, much better shape than we actually are. I just choose to ask the question of why he is not here, and the answer of "a perilous financial situation with unsustainable losses" keeps coming back.

All fair points, I don't want to go down the. Pompey route and pleased that at least we fans are considering budgets above big players.

Bring back Cortese

If he were still here

what rubbish how will he do that has the person funding the club is the liebherrs ,he has been spending her money and she wanted him gone and i don,t blame her.

Edited by solentstars

Cortese was not a financial risk taker he was very careful in fact the value of the club (the assets) always increased at a greater rate than the money he spent.

i.e. he invested well if he was a risk taker do you think Markus would have put him in charge? Just look at the current value of our players and club for example compared to the value in league 1

Why then, if everything was going so swimmingly, did Markus's daughter feel the need to intervene and restructure the top level of the club? If NC was so convinced of his own righteousness with regard to the way he was running the club, why did he walk?

what rubbish how will he do that has the person funding the club is the liebherrs ,he has been spending her money and she wanted him gone and i don,t blame her.

Correct he spent her money however he has created a club and players worth a darn side more than he spent! He was after all a banker who knows all about asset creation. It is true that obviously KL wanted to control and limit the spend. However he was not spending in an uncontrolled manner and KL now has a club and players worth a hell of lot more than has been invested to date.

The problem seems to be that they disagreed on the best time to cash in on the assets and she seems to have decided now is a good time! you cannot blame her as it is her money! but to say Cortese was spending in an irresponsible manner is just not true.

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Why then, if everything was going so swimmingly, did Markus's daughter feel the need to intervene and restructure the top level of the club? If NC was so convinced of his own righteousness with regard to the way he was running the club, why did he walk?

Because he wanted more investment as he was convinced he could improve the value of the club further given what he had achieved to date and she did not want to take the risk. That is all!

He walked as without the investment he could not improve the club further!

I starting to suspect that there are some on here who'll only be happy when they see the dreaded sight of Peter Ridsdale at the helm at St Marys steering the club back onto the financial rocks yet again :scared:

What we really need of course is to strike a happy medium between the near chaos the club seems to be in today and the spend-spend-spend madness that has seen so many financially irresponsible football clubs crash and burn in recent years.

But as we seem to be doomed to wander forever between these two extremes I can only assume that finding that middle course must be a harder feat to accomplish that you'd think it should be ...

Because he wanted more investment as he was convinced he could improve the value of the club further given what he had achieved to date and she did not want to take the risk. That is all!

He walked as without the investment he could not improve the club further!

Hang on a minute - You say NC wasn't a risk taker in one post but then state that KL - his boss - thought his strategy of increased investment was too risky, which led to him walking. So which is it? Was NC a risk taker or not? If he was, then he was indeed a potential danger to the club.

Perhaps it would have been better for the anyone-but-cortese brigade to wait and see than big up every initial statement and symbolic act by the new regime while dismissing everything else as all a big conspiracy.

I don't remember ever seeing a single post that says they want "anyone-but-cortese", not one.

I think you are just being a d!ck.

I don't remember ever seeing a single post that says they want "anyone-but-cortese", not one.

Are you accusing shurlock of making up opinions just to suit an argument that he wants to have?

Never.

He would never do that. There's no evidence he ever does that. Ever.

:lol:

Breath, sunshine. Don't get so worked up.

Edited by shurlock

There does seem to be some on here who would rather see the club fail than see Cortese have any influence. According to some the current situation is all being caused by Nicola pulling media strings. According to others, Cortese shouldn't have invested the money Markus trusted him with to raise us through the leagues.

Had we still had Cortese at the helm we'd have sold a new project to the players. No doubt the number of rumours and bids would vastly reduced.

I don't get the rational behind the anti-Cortese vibes.

are you certain MP would have gone if NC was still here. If not do you also feel everything would be unraveling as quickly as it seems now? NC departure IMO helped make a lot of decisions now. However much you might not like it, the players brought into the dream as well as MP. We lost the driver , and the coach lost its way up the winding road.

Just out of interest what was the dream? To win the champions league? Have a brand new 80,000 stadium? Be the next Barcelona, Real etc? Does anyone really think any of this was possible?

For what it's worth I think NC convinced players that this was a dream but they have realised that as happy as they are here to make these dreams become reality they have to join bigger, more famous, more successful clubs. This also includes Pocchetino, who has jumped now and I believe would have done even if Cortese was still here.

Basically we've peaked with this group and some of them will leave as a result. The biggest thing now is who replaces MP and then what happens with the squad. Until then who knows what the future holds so I reckon people should sit tight and wait and see......COYR,

Also can anyone find a thread when someone seriously said 'we've got our club back'.

There is so much bed wetting going on, 'we are a club in chaos/crisis/meltdown', when in reality we have lost a manager and one player, this is all part of the game and something that any club has to deal with from time to time.

What is becoming apparent to me is that the whole level of discontent in the club is not NC going or even MP going its the level of wages. It seems that NC didn't sell the boys the dream of CL football more the dream of more dosh in the future, moving up the leagues enabled NC to do that. He then brought in GR and DO on bigger wages, probably with the promise to the other boys that their wages will be brought in line. This hasn't happened and now footballers are doing what footballers always do, agitate for a move or a better contract, they don't really mind which. Apart from the lure of Liverpool for Lambert and CL for some others.

The new board good help by looking at the wage structure, but these contacts were all set up by NC.

The old SWF myth being that there would be an exodus of players and staff if Cortese went?

Jeez. Some people really need to grow up. Contract. Fine. Someone wants out. What do you do. "You cant go" just doesn't work. All a contract means is that if either party want to terminate it then

(a) look at the fine print to see the clauses and compensation needed to break the contract or

(b) negotiate to better your position or

© put them or gardening leave

Mopo:

(a) I do nt know the fine print and either do the rest of you: allegedly there was a few million compensation

(b) he wanted OUT. OUT. To be a bit more explicit: O U T

© Fine costs us a few million in spite money

Same with players really: the idea is to get the best bag for your buck.

Sorry: this is real life out there and you cant force people to do what you want because if they dont you will scream and scream until you are sick

So what will we do; get another manager and buuy lots of players. Consistency you guys! Why is it Ok for us to buy and ot OK for us t sell?

There does seem to be some on here who would rather see the club fail than see Cortese have any influence. According to some the current situation is all being caused by Nicola pulling media strings. According to others, Cortese shouldn't have invested the money Markus trusted him with to raise us through the leagues.

Had we still had Cortese at the helm we'd have sold a new project to the players. No doubt the number of rumours and bids would vastly reduced.

I don't get the rational behind the anti-Cortese vibes.

If Cortese was still here then KL and Tweedledum and Tweedledo would not be. KL did not want to continue to invest at the level previously agreed once shw took over last summer but would not sell which would have allowed Cortese to bring in alternative investors.

Are people really so stupid as to believe players buy into chairmans dreams.

A progressive club helps to cement a negotiation but it is the quality of the contract, ie wages and length, that seal the deal.

So people please grow up we would be facing the same problems with NC at the helm. He might deal with them in a different way but one thing is for sure that he would not have solved them by selling a new dream alone.