Lovren joins Liverpool - Official

toe_punt

The problem with all this, is that the modern day footballer (and no doubt their better half as well) are not blessed with the most intelligence in the world. I know that's a generalisation but in this case, it seems to be the case, and as such, Mr & Mrs Lovren seem to think that they have done nothing wrong. They can postulate as much as they want, but they are still wrong. Maybe if he showed some humility and apologised, he might get where he wants rather quicker, but he would be too stupid to realise that because he is a footballer being paid an unrealistic wage already.

I don't like Lovren's lack of respect or conduct.

At the same time, Southampton would sell him at the drop of a hat if they got a good price for him, regardless of how happy or settled he and his family were at Southampton.

There's very little loyalty in football, in either direction. That's why things like this should be taken with a pinch of salt. Neither clubs nor players actually moralise about these things, no matter what they say in the press. In the end, it's just a business contract - no different in principle to when you hire a construction person to do up your house. No matter how much you want to be the nicest house on the block, if the house across the road flashes the cash in their direction, they are perfectly entitled to pursue that opportunity and work on that house as well. You may insist they finish your house first, or you may negotiate a compromise rate if the work on the other house cuts into work on yours. But ultimately, everybody knows the reality of the situation - and that is that it's a temporary arrangement that's mutually beneficial to both parties, until it's concluded. The only people who don't get this are the media (who need to sell papers/ads/media space), and the supporters (who want the players and clubs to be heroes and icons, despite the grubby reality of the whole arrangement).

In regards to the disrespect shown to Southampton I don't like it.

it would be great to see more respect in terms of player transfers in football but unfortunately, Lovren isn't the first player to complain when he doesn't get his way, nor will he be the last. It is what it is with professional footballers. Expecting them to be bastions of morality when they've spent almost all of their young adult lives being lauded, feted, and idolised by coaches and fans, is asking to much, I think. They are the monster we all created.

I do sometimes think that we forget that he is a young man, and young men are prone to make mistakes. I am always amazed at how grown up they do look when on the pitch, but it boils down to him being 24 (now just 25). I like to think that I had a decent education, but I do realise that at the age of 24 I was naive and prone to making injudicious decisions. Why should footballers be any different? They may take the advice of others, but in whose interest are those others working? You just have to look at the stick Le Saux got because he read a broad sheet to realise that there are many who are deficient educationally. Listen to them being interviewed and this is reinforced. And to top it off, pay them thousands and thousands a week, and you can add a detachment from reality into the mix, and a failure in knowing how to behave properly.

Money, money, money. The indecent pursuit of it has never and will never make anyone a better person.

She's not intelligent otherwise she would ignore the furore that's taking place

Equally he is weak getting his missus to fight his battles .

The weak are those that believe the stories in the press, like the idiots on here, the strong are those who can forget and forgive and the intelligent are those who ignore all they read or hear in the media.

It was a favorite expression quoted by Einstein. The full saying is " Weak people revenge, strong people forgive, intelligent people ignore foolishness but never regret the things you did wrong only regret the good things you did for the wrong people”

At the same time, Southampton would sell him at the drop of a hat if they got a good price for him, regardless of how happy or settled he and his family were at Southampton.

There's very little loyalty in football, in either direction. That's why things like this should be taken with a pinch of salt. Neither clubs nor players actually moralise about these things, no matter what they say in the press. In the end, it's just a business contract - no different in principle to when you hire a construction person to do up your house. No matter how much you want to be the nicest house on the block, if the house across the road flashes the cash in their direction, they are perfectly entitled to pursue that opportunity and work on that house as well. You may insist they finish your house first, or you may negotiate a compromise rate if the work on the other house cuts into work on yours. But ultimately, everybody knows the reality of the situation - and that is that it's a temporary arrangement that's mutually beneficial to both parties, until it's concluded. The only people who don't get this are the media (who need to sell papers/ads/media space), and the supporters (who want the players and clubs to be heroes and icons, despite the grubby reality of the whole arrangement).

it would be great to see more respect in terms of player transfers in football but unfortunately, Lovren isn't the first player to complain when he doesn't get his way, nor will he be the last. It is what it is with professional footballers. Expecting them to be bastions of morality when they've spent almost all of their young adult lives being lauded, feted, and idolised by coaches and fans, is asking to much, I think. They are the monster we all created.

I'll phrase this as respectfully as I can but...you don't really understand contract law do you?

Art thanks for the sermon

I tend to ignore 90% of stuff on here

Lovren is a tosser who has a very bad attitude and arrogance and not a player I particularly want to see in a saints shirt with behaviour he is displaying .

Jan Molby makes some good points and players should be dealt with accordingly by their club if they spit their dummy out .

I will forgive him . If he suddenly apologises and gives his all for saints

I will take along time to forgive Adam . Not that he has left but because of the lack of loyalty and respect to both club and fans .

If he didn't retry hard enough for us when his mind was focussed on playing for Liverpool then that is not acceptable .

What has he got wrong then?

He's suggesting the club can sell a player against his will. Contracts go two ways and each party owes the other a duty. In this case, Saints owe Lovren employment. If he doesn't want to go he doesn't have to, no matter how much Saints want him to. AKA the Tommy Forecast technique.

The bit about houses seems utterly unrelated. He's using an analogy where the builder can undertake two jobs at once. This is fine if he has a company and continues both jobs. Lovren is one man. He can't work for Saints and liverhampton.

Unless he is suggesting the builder can drop the work on your house and continue the more lucrative contract. If he is, it's another misunderstanding of contracts.

Just caught a journalist (first name James but missed his surname) talking about transfers on Talksport and mentioned Lovren to Liverpool and said that there was a gentlemens agreement between Saints & Lovren that we would let him go if someone bid £20m. If true first time I've heard that mentioned.

Personally I don't believe it, if it was true then he should have had a clause inserted into his contract. But I wonder (and this is pure speculation), did he have some form of agreement that we would tell him about any bid of £20m or above. It might explain why he was so upset that we didn't advise him of the Liverpool bid, which has always struck me as being out of character given how he bonded with the squad last season and seemed to be one of the leaders of the feelgood factor around SMS.

Just caught a journalist (first name James but missed his surname) talking about transfers on Talksport and mentioned Lovren to Liverpool and said that there was a gentlemens agreement between Saints & Lovren that we would let him go if someone bid £20m. If true first time I've heard that mentioned.

Personally I don't believe it, if it was true then he should have had a clause inserted into his contract. But I wonder (and this is pure speculation), did he have some form of agreement that we would tell him about any bid of £20m or above. It might explain why he was so upset that we didn't advise him of the Liverpool bid, which has always struck me as being out of character given how he bonded with the squad last season and seemed to be one of the leaders of the feelgood factor around SMS.

Liverpool haven't bid £20m, though.

He also mentioned Lovren was due to report around 21 July. Time shall tell.

Plenty wrong in this post, but I'd love to see the reaction from Liverpool fans if one of your players came out with a statement like Lovren's, while trying to move to another club. How many minutes silence would you need to get over that.

What is most disappointing in this is Liverpool's stance. Clubs really should stick together and not encourage this behaviour from players. The players have a union in the form of the PFA, but clubs are all trying to get one over each other. It doesn't really do anyone any good this sort of behaviour, and really, as I say, clubs should stick together and if/when a player does this sort of shït, then all deals are off. But, putting my naivety to one side, it's money we are ultimately talking about.

He's suggesting the club can sell a player against his will. Contracts go two ways and each party owes the other a duty. In this case, Saints owe Lovren employment. If he doesn't want to go he doesn't have to, no matter how much Saints want him to. AKA the Tommy Forecast technique.

The bit about houses seems utterly unrelated. He's using an analogy where the builder can undertake two jobs at once. This is fine if he has a company and continues both jobs. Lovren is one man. He can't work for Saints and liverhampton.

Unless he is suggesting the builder can drop the work on your house and continue the more lucrative contract. If he is, it's another misunderstanding of contracts.

No, he's just saying we can accept offers and sell him if we want to. He won't have to go but we can engineer a situation where his stay becomes untenable.

If Billy Sharp had his choice, he'd play for Saints, he signed his contract with us to achieve that end. He doesn't because we've made it clear he will never play so we ship him out. Danny Fox probably would have loved to see out his contract with SFC.

If Lovren was shi t we would do everything we could to get rid. We can "force" a situation in the same way Lovren can to "force" us to sell him.

Plenty wrong in this post, but I'd love to see the reaction from Liverpool fans if one of your players came out with a statement like Lovren's, while trying to move to another club. How many minutes silence would you need to get over that.

Hahaha.

No, he's just saying we can accept offers and sell him if we want to. He won't have to go but we can engineer a situation where his stay becomes untenable.

If Billy Sharp had his choice, he'd play for Saints, he signed his contract with us to achieve that end. He doesn't because we've made it clear he will never play so we ship him out. Danny Fox probably would have loved to see out his contract with SFC.

If Lovren was shi t we would do everything we could to get rid. We can "force" a situation in the same way Lovren can to "force" us to sell him.

Fair enough, but I disagree with your interpretation of what he's saying.

"At the same time, Southampton would sell him at the drop of a hat if they got a good price for him, regardless of how happy or settled he and his family were at Southampton."

Sounds like he's saying Saints could sell a player regardless of how happy or settled he is, but if you think he means Saints can make a player's position untenable then I guess we'll have to agree to differ.

Presumably there is time to engineer this untenable situation while the hat is dropping.

KCome, there is something that you seem to be overlooking.

SFC can sell a player to X Utd, but if the player doesn't want to go there, then he doesn't have to go there. And, if SFC try and sell that player before his contract has expired, there is also no compunction to move, and the player can hang around at SFC and see out the rest of his contract while picking up his wages.

Fair enough, but I disagree with your interpretation of what he's saying.

"At the same time, Southampton would sell him at the drop of a hat if they got a good price for him, regardless of how happy or settled he and his family were at Southampton."

Sounds like he's saying Saints could sell a player regardless of how happy or settled he is, but if you think he means Saints can make a player's position untenable then I guess we'll have to agree to differ.

Presumably there is time to engineer this untenable situation while the hat is dropping.

I think the point is, if the club tomorrow morning say to (say) Maya Yoshida "we've accepted an offer from X club" then immediately he is not as happy and settled because we've told him very clearly we don't want him.

Sure he can stay and hang around, just like at the opposite end we can force Lovren to stay and hang around, but both of those outcomes are pretty futile.

KCome, there is something that you seem to be overlooking.

SFC can sell a player to X Utd, but if the player doesn't want to go there, then he doesn't have to go there. And, if SFC try and sell that player before his contract has expired, there is also no compunction to move, and the player can hang around at SFC and see out the rest of his contract while picking up his wages.

That's the crux of my point. Lfc was saying Saints could force a sale, I'm saying they can't.

His contract protects him.

Liverpool haven't bid £20m, though.
This is exactly it. I'm sure I heard several times that their bid to date is no more than £14m. I'm afraid Mister Lovren is in for a big shock when he learns the truth..

Art thanks for the sermon

I tend to ignore 90% of stuff on here

Lovren is a tosser who has a very bad attitude and arrogance and not a player I particularly want to see in a saints shirt with behaviour he is displaying .

Jan Molby makes some good points and players should be dealt with accordingly by their club if they spit their dummy out .

I will forgive him . If he suddenly apologises and gives his all for saints

I will take along time to forgive Adam . Not that he has left but because of the lack of loyalty and respect to both club and fans .

If he didn't retry hard enough for us when his mind was focussed on playing for Liverpool then that is not acceptable .

Nice reply and agree with what you've said except that it's possible the whole thing is part of how Liverpool go about preparing players they want to sign. I too shall never forgive Lallana, or, Lowren if it turns out to be true.

I think the point is, if the club tomorrow morning say to (say) Maya Yoshida "we've accepted an offer from X club" then immediately he is not as happy and settled because we've told him very clearly we don't want him.

Sure he can stay and hang around, just like at the opposite end we can force Lovren to stay and hang around, but both of those outcomes are pretty futile.

So you agree, Saints can't force a sale.

So you agree, Saints can't force a sale.

Lovren can't force a departure either but those extremes of the legalities are pretty irrelevant because of all the reasons and common sense circumstances above.

We have sold plenty of players that would have to loved to stay and sold plenty we'd have loved to keep.

BBC newspaper gossip column

I see they are reporting the star as saying saints have told Liverpool to up their offer to £25m if they want to sign him.

Is this agents talk or is that the base price saints are actually asking . ?

Or is it the scouse gits using the gutter press to convey a message to the saints board we will give you £25m

Or is it the trusted journo AGC still ****stirring

Or is it re gurgitated news

Or is it total tosh especially as our board have not publicly commented on this

BBC newspaper gossip column

I see they are reporting the star as saying saints have told Liverpool to up their offer to £25m if they want to sign him.

Is this agents talk or is that the base price saints are actually asking . ?

Or is it the scouse gits using the gutter press to convey a message to the saints board we will give you £25m

Or is it the trusted journo AGC still ****stirring

Or is it re gurgitated news

Or is it total tosh especially as our board have not publicly commented on this

£25m is what we are asking for, with Liverpool so far having offered £18m. Suspect we will accept £22-23m, but I'm not convinced they'll go as high as that. They could get much better for less if they actually scouted a team other than us for once.

£25m is what we are asking for, with Liverpool so far having offered £18m. Suspect we will accept £22-23m, but I'm not convinced they'll go as high as that. They could get much better for less if they actually scouted a team other than us for once.

And then what? Will Spurs pick up things if LFC walk away? Is Lovren's head (or any other body part) already at any other club? He'll look a bit of a tit if LFC don't buy him.

And then what? Will Spurs pick up things if LFC walk away? Is Lovren's head (or any other body part) already at any other club? He'll look a bit of a tit if LFC don't buy him.

I don't think Spurs are in the market for him. At this stage, it's Liverpool or nobody.

I don't think Spurs are in the market for him. At this stage, it's Liverpool or nobody.

If that is the case, then he seems to not have been overly wise by burning his bridges quite so early. I asked over on another thread whether with a bit of grovelling he could ever be taken back into the team. I think he probably could if Saints are very magnanimous about it, but it won't be easy, although honesty goes an awfully long way. But, I expect him to be elsewhere next season.

Lovren is also putting Liverpool in an awkward position as we have no need for the money ourselves so can make Liverpool sweat. There will always be compromise on all sides but of all the departures that may happen getting £20m+ for Lovren would be tremendous business.

I know it's a different position, but £11m for McCormack puts things into perspective a bit and, while we all know that's a crazy price, it does reinforce our hand. If reports of £14m are true, then it justifies why it isn't acceptable. To be honest £18m vs McCormack still has a serious disparity. So twice what McCormack has gone for would be right. Having said that, it might also affect us if we are in for Ings (although I am guessing his contract might have less time on it).

If that is the case, then he seems to not have been overly wise by burning his bridges quite so early. I asked over on another thread whether with a bit of grovelling he could ever be taken back into the team. I think he probably could if Saints are very magnanimous about it, but it won't be easy, although honesty goes an awfully long way. But, I expect him to be elsewhere next season.

As I said previously on this thread, I'm not 100% certain the quotes attributed to him in that Croatian newspaper actually came from him. I suspect his agent - or someone else working on his/Liverpool's behalf - has been authorised to attribute quotes to him with the intention of forcing this move through, but it doesn't appear to have worked very well so far. That's not to say that he doesn't want to go to Liverpool, he clearly does, but I'm far from convinced that he'd actually go on strike to force it through. He's due back next week, I believe, so I guess we'll find out for sure then.