Lovren joins Liverpool - Official

toe_punt

News Now showing 'Pool will up their offer to £25 million. I know a pinch of salt should be used with this but, £25million? - Yes please! Rip their hands off!

Would be astonishing business from us but stupid business for Liverpool.

I hope some Liverpool fans are reading this, because you need to have a word or something.

Lallana - We had a good 12 Months off him, prior to that? Mmmm - Good business for us.

Lambert - Going to stick my neck out here, loyal and trustworthy yes but probably only get a season or two left in him? - Good business for us.

Lovren - £25 Million! Feck me, BLOODY good business for us.

Someone from the Pool is smoking some serious weed.

£25m would be epic for a CB, who cost us £8m last year.

As a board, whatever the situation, a club like us cannot pass up that sort of profit on a player - not a chance. Would be accepted no matter what.

He is a high quality player, but I'd hope we are able to source a replacement who has a similar sort of impact for half that price.

If they do go to £25m, then of the three I would argue the only actual "value" signing they've got there is Lambert. Lallana and Lovren would be significantly overpriced, but in what is (in theory, at least) a seller's market, that's the way it is. I'm sure we'd have liked to have only paid £5m for Tadic, but Twente were well within their rights to demand more than that.

£25m would be epic for a CB, who cost us £8m last year.

As a board, whatever the situation, a club like us cannot pass up that sort of profit on a player - not a chance. Would be accepted no matter what.

He is a high quality player, but I'd hope we are able to source a replacement who has a similar sort of impact for half that price.

This, if we get 50m off the Scousers for Lovren and Lallana we have royally mugged them off, make no mistake. Lallana is a 60 minute player and m not sure how he fits in their system with Sterling and Countinho. Lovren started well for us but was very suspect second half of the season (remember Spurs away). We could easily pick up a similar player for 10-15m. De Vrij, Caulker etc. RK will know his CBs

Someone said it earlier but Liverpool look like this years Spurs, Suarez got them to second place on his own and is off, Gerrard is finished, their defence is shocking and they seem to have signed 5 AMs. Can see then struggling back down in 5th or 6th next year where they belong and good riddance.

£25m is serious, serious money but we shouldn't accept it until/unless we're confident of bringing in a centre back of close to that quality. Doubt it'll end up that high, anyway.

I would imagine that the relationship between the club and Lovern is pretty screwed up by now. I'm not convinced that if we forced him to stay we would see the same player from last season. I'd be happy to see the back of him even if his replacement isn't quite as good. A slighty less quaility player who wants to be here and with a good work ethic will be more use to the team than Lovern not making the effort becuase he has a cob on with the club IMO.

I would imagine that the relationship between the club and Lovern is pretty screwed up by now. I'm not convinced that if we forced him to stay we would see the same player from last season. I'd be happy to see the back of him even if his replacement isn't quite as good. A slighty less quaility player who wants to be here and with a good work ethic will be more use to the team than Lovern not making the effort becuase he has a cob on with the club IMO.

This. If the money is broadly comparable I'd still rather we didn't sell him to Liverpool though.

With the signing of Tadic as a sign of our ambition, Lovren may change his mind and realise we do mean business and give us his best again---we can always hope, I would quickly forgive him because the appearance of lack of ambition made me angry, it will be good to be proved wrong

With the signing of Tadic as a sign of our ambition, Lovren may change his mind and realise we do mean business and give us his best again---we can always hope, I would quickly forgive him because the appearance of lack of ambition made me angry, it will be good to be proved wrong

Nah, sell him, especially if Liverpool are going to offer £25m. I'll drive to Soton from Devon, take him to Liverpool, drop him off with Rodgers and back to Devon again for that type of money. Caulker is keeping QPR waiting I suspect to see if Saints or another team come in for him and Manga would be ideal competition for Fonte. Need to buy two centre backs so we don't have to use Jos. If Stephens is at Swindon on loan for another season it doesn't suggest the staff feel he's ready yet.

Don't let small minds convince you that your dreams are too big......

Hmmm. I love this from him, and see it as on par with Joey Barton's pearls of wisdom.

1) Shouldn't this be turned around a put back to him - Don't let small minds convince you that your dreams aren't big enough.

2) But looking at the pseudo intellectuality - you'd have to be fairly small minded to let someone else convince you that your dreams are too big. Guess that the irony is lost in the attempts to be deep and meaningful.

I would imagine that the relationship between the club and Lovern is pretty screwed up by now. I'm not convinced that if we forced him to stay we would see the same player from last season.

IMO Lovren was absolutely class up to January, when he got his injury. I could not believe that we had landed him at all, never mind for £8m . After he came back from injury I dont recall him being quite the same. Still very good of course, but a few mistakes crept in, plus the odd temper tantrum at Spurs etc. Not sure if he will return anywhere at quite that 1st half season level, no reason why not of course, but it was just lacking a little from Feb - May (all relative)

Personally, no matter what is being offered for Lovren I would want to keep him... at least until we can sign two quality centre backs to replace him and improve our defensive options (a left back or two would be good too!)

If we did then sell Lovren I would want £25m at least, with extra payouts on top for international appearances, qualification for Champions League, reaching a Cup final, making 50 appearances, etc. and a 25% sell-on clause.

If he does go i hope we replace him with quality i.e. someone like Mangala. He's current French International so would be a major coup!

Man City have reportedly agreed a £32m price for him and are awaiting his decision...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-city-transfers-eliaquim-mangala-7387132?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Football-Sport-ManchesterEveningNews-RssFeed+(Football+-+Sport+-+Manchester+Evening+News+-+RSS+Feed)

oh ok MLG it would be shame to miss out on signing Mangala, he has prob been my player of the tournament at the WC! Hardly put a foot wrong. Doesn't give the ball away. Never beaten one-on-one on ground or in air. Quality!

Don't let small minds convince you that your dreams are too big......

Hmmm. I love this from him, and see it as on par with Joey Barton's pearls of wisdom.

1) Shouldn't this be turned around a put back to him - Don't let small minds convince you that your dreams aren't big enough.

2) But looking at the pseudo intellectuality - you'd have to be fairly small minded to let someone else convince you that your dreams are too big. Guess that the irony is lost in the attempts to be deep and meaningful.

My comment was " don't let tight scouser's tell you that your price tag is too big"

As others have said Lovren was class in the early part of the season but was poor at times later on. At the world cup I was shocked at how poor he looked against great players, he had a mare against eto'o and naymar. In games he was consistently beaten for pace and would dive in or grab his opponent. Can see him giving away a lot of penalties this season, he'll be a whipping boy at Liverpool if he goes.

Not wanting to be thought of as having sour grapes due to the situation that we currently have, but you wouldn't be rushing to pay £15/20/25m on him if just taking his WC performances.

The appeal of the fee is tempered somewhat by the trepidation that we may not be able to replace him with someone who is as good. It's been nothing but an upward trajectory for the last 5 years where all we've ever done is replace by buying someone who is better. We may now be back at the point where that doesn't happen and as much as it always use to be the way during most of our supporting lives the idea just isn't a nice feeling.

Not sure who ****s me off more, Lovren or Gareth Rodgers, unfortunately the clubs in a position where it's nearly impossible to include Lovren back in the squad, I can see Liverpool offering 10 million in a 'take it or leave it'

Not sure who ****s me off more, Lovren or Gareth Rodgers, unfortunately the clubs in a position where it's nearly impossible to include Lovren back in the squad, I can see Liverpool offering 10 million in a 'take it or leave it'

In which case the obvious answer would be "we'll leave it, thanks". It's not "nearly impossible" to include him back in the squad, it's only us fans who will have any beef with him at all, his team mates won't give a toss - I suspect they'd be delighted to have him back.

In which case the obvious answer would be "we'll leave it, thanks". It's not "nearly impossible" to include him back in the squad, it's only us fans who will have any beef with him at all, his team mates won't give a toss - I suspect they'd be delighted to have him back.

Unfortunately we as supports don't get to make that desision, hopefully the soft touch image of the club was only temporary..

Unfortunately we as supports don't get to make that desision, hopefully the soft touch image of the club was only temporary..

We have hardly been 'soft touch' in letting players go for fees way less than what a player is worth. Let's not forget we extracting more money out of Man Utd & Liverpool for Shaw & Lallana than AC Milan did for Zlatan Ibrahimovic & Thiago Silva.

We have struggled to hold on to players yes, but we haven't exactly just been giving them away.

Liverpool wont walk away. Its all b*ll*cks. They've tried this trick with us twice already. Fortunately this time we seem to be holding up well, but the proof will be in how much we get for him.

The "walk away" stunt worked with Rickie. They managed to spook us.

It didnt work with Lallana (apparently that HAD to be closed before the WC). Because we didnt fall for it again, they went to work on the player directly - hence all the "never playing for us" again crap.

Its clear this is what is going on with Lovren as well. Hence his disrepect to the club is even worse, because the same stunts wont work a second time. We've probably told him he's training with the reserves when he gets back.

I wish there was something we could do about Liverpool. I suppose the only thing is to try to humiliate them on the pitch on Aug 16th.

But they need to let us know if this is their 1st, 2nd, 3rd or Final "Final Offer" !!!

Liverpool seem to be spending money like there is no tomorrow and this from a team who finished second and damned nearly won the league so what's going on? How solid is their finance one must wonder and how serious their interest in players like Lovren who seem to be churned out by Croatia at two a penny? Is it all a game of bluff and their real targets are much more fancied players who are hedging their bets to get a best possible deal? What if they aren't all that bothered about Lovren anyway and won't bite on our price (would you?) just because he will always be for them their second best option?

A lot of doggy-do has been floating about in this particular choppy sea so how could he be welcomed back by the club and fans if there's no deal to be done? It seems we have passed the point of no return with even the Echo slagging him off as "not fit to wear the shirt". So no welcome here then or we about to demonstrate that our ethical standards are no higher than his or other wanna ways? Set a thief to catch a thief?

Liverpool seem to be spending money like there is no tomorrow and this from a team who finished second and damned nearly won the league so what's going on? How solid is their finance one must wonder and how serious their interest in players like Lovren who seem to be churned out by Croatia at two a penny?

Brendan Rodgers has (rightly) realised that they were pretty fortunate last season in terms of injuries, and of course didn't have the distraction of European football. As a result his players remained fresh throughout the season. No such luck this time around as a result of finishing second, so his squad certainly needs bulking out. That said, it seems very strange that, with the exception of Lovren, he's concentrated his efforts on the attacking part of the team, with which he had absolutely no problem last season, and has done bugger all about the back 4 that shipped 50 goals.

In terms of the finance, they were televised live a record TWENTY-EIGHT times last season (out of a possible 38 ), and their commercial revenues are huge. Of course, they're also selling Luis Suarez for around £65m.

These outrageous transfer fees clubs are paying has me thinking they've found a new way to cheat the taxman. It's out of hand but well done to the Board for taking full advantage of it.