Lovren joins Liverpool - Official

toe_punt

Squad won't care about Dejans words in the papers or that he might want to leave. They´re professionals and know what it´s all about.

And if it was such a problem, why were a group of them out together with Lallana in the week??

You've got no idea if they care or not. Professional or not, how many times do you see quotes like that about wanting to play for your first opponents of the season?

Lovren is their because his contract says he has to be. Doesn't make him any more likely to stay.

Koeman in his press conference said Lovren made his position quite clear when they spoke so wouldn't think anything has changed since then.

Totally agree, I still think he's likely to go, Koeman's had a word with him and he's been told to knuckle down and wait for the club to sort out his move. Just hope it aint the scousers or spurs that he goes to

Lovren is their because his contract says he has to be. Doesn't make him any more likely to stay.

Koeman in his press conference said Lovren made his position quite clear when they spoke so wouldn't think anything has changed since then.

Right on q, old misery guts pipes up. Must be tough to always be pessimistic. Although tbf you're right in this case lol. Don't take away hope tho.

So you dont think that there is a possibility that he has changed his mind?

So you dont think that there is a possibility that he has changed his mind?

He may have, but seemed fairly certain. Certain enough to make quite a spectacular outburst and totally undermine the club. Would be quite some u-turn in a week.

It's in Lovren's interest to maintain his fitness, and to stay on good terms with Saints. Plus the fact he is contracted to be here, and isn't Osvaldo.

But doesn't mean he wants to stay. This pre season there will be loads of players doing tours and friendlies etc who know they are moving or want to move. Pelle played last week for example.

Edited by Saint Charlie

There's no point drawing up a contract as a gesture, but it might be that a pay rise is what it takes to keep him here. Fair enough if you ask me - and if he signs it, then that release presents an opportunity for him to say the right things.

Sets a dangerous precedent though don't you think? Threaten to strike to get a move (allegedly) and get an improved contract as a consequence. If that happens it would be kept very quiet I expect.

Sets a dangerous precedent though don't you think? Threaten to strike to get a move (allegedly) and get an improved contract as a consequence. If that happens it would be kept very quiet I expect.

Does it not occur to you that the whole thing came about by Pochettino promising new contracts, terms etc.. and then leaving. It's highly possible the board said until a new manager was appointed there would be no new contracts. If the entire fan base can lose it over Pochettino leaving how is it so unacceptable that a number of players began throwing their toys out of the pram. It happens all the time, especially as I've pointed out many times drink and being on vacation is concerned. People say things, do things under the influence that gets picked up by journos and blown out of all proportion.

Does it not occur to you that the whole thing came about by Pochettino promising new contracts, terms etc.. and then leaving. It's highly possible the board said until a new manager was appointed there would be no new contracts.

For a start, it wouldn't be in Pochettino's remit to promise new contracts to anyone, especially not to player that is only one year into his first one. So no, it hasn't occurred to me because it's so improbable it's not worth a second thought. That, and the fact that it has very little to do with the post I was responding to.

Edited by kpturner

Lovren will not stay. He's there because he has to be but he's no intention of staying. He'll be allowed to go as soon as his replacement is lined up.

And I think he will stay.

Opinions are like areseholes, they are all very close to crap. ;)

I do hold Pochettino responsible for a lot of the unrest and discontent amongst the players. he behaved in a thoroughly unprofessional way and will soon come a cropper - at least I hope he does.

This.

This is just my opinion of course. For my opinion on opinions, please see my last post. :)

A lot of kids on that squad. A lot of kids.

It will look better with 4-5 more signings! :p

Though one of our CB targets, as i have said from the start, may be beyond us and we will have to re-align our efforts.

Manchester United's hopes of landing Feyenoord defender Stefan De Vrij have suffered a major blow after Igli Tare, Lazio's sporting director, indicated the Dutchman wishes to play for the Serie A side.

Though one of our CB targets, as i have said from the start, may be beyond us and we will have to re-align our efforts.

Can't imagine why anyone would want to join the Italian leagues at the moment to be honest. I would take Tare's comments with a pinch of salt.

I find it surprising that mid table Serie A is more attractive or lucrative than us, let alone Manchester United.

I find it surprising that mid table Serie A is more attractive or lucrative than us, let alone Manchester United.

Not too surprising. Lazio are a bigger club, have a better chance of qualifying for European football next season plus De Vrij himself could just want to play in Serie A

it's not often we have been able to say ..money's no object, but right now we can. I'd be off with any player who didn't want to follow the " Southampton Way " . Say Thank you and goodbye.

No player should be bigger than his club, (except that Liverpool are about to find that out, when they have to start the season without Suarez).

Sure, and on our terms - not on the terms of any player threatening to go on strike. When we have found as good or better, ok - but meanwhile that player should be out of the squad, not be able to train, nor be paid.

The club is bigger than any player, and does not need to be held to ransom.

Edited by eelpie
error

You are joking right?

Come on Mods, give Guan a full membership. It's only a £5er you're throwing away!!

I already tried that campaign. Apparently, some of the more boring posters reckoned they were of equal value to the forum and were a bit miffed at me for suggesting it.:(

Not too surprising. Lazio are a bigger club, have a better chance of qualifying for European football next season plus De Vrij himself could just want to play in Serie A

Can see rome being a draw, but unless they are likely to reverse their fortunes, i'm not sure they are more likely to get champions league football.

They were 1 point closer to CL than we were, they had one more team between them and CL football, and they had a 0 goal difference.

Of course that means bringing in De Vrij might make the difference.

Pretty sure he had a fairly average, if not bad season with Lyon before he joined us (fair few mistakes, red cards, not getting on too well with the fans IIRC) so even though he was largely excellent for us I'm a bit dubious that he had a huge amount of options last summer. I kind of think he owes us for taking a punt on him and suddenly getting loads of champions league clubs interested in him.

Ask Liverpool for £30 million or tell them to get lost I reckon.