Sky Sources: New 5 Year Contract offered to Jay Rodriguez

Colinjb

I don't know, the general point is he was openly setting expectations that we wouldn't be doing a City or Chelsea so I'm asking what the false promises where?

As stated by S-Clarke promising players Champs League when it was highly improbable. I ask you a question, if he thought he could do it with out sizeable investment where is he now? He jumped ship at exactly the right time.

As stated by S-Clarke promising players Champs League when it was highly improbable. I ask you a question, if he thought he could do it with out sizeable investment where is he now? He jumped ship at exactly the right time.

When Kat stepped in to make sure we sold players for a massive profit? I'd probably do one as well.

All this talk of Cortese duping all the players is embarrassing. The players knew they were good and knew we had a very good manager. I'm sure they were confident in their own abilities and not reliant on empty words from the chairman.

When Kat stepped in to make sure we sold players for a massive profit? I'd probably do one as well.

All this talk of Cortese duping all the players is embarrassing. The players knew they were good and knew we had a very good manager. I'm sure they were confident in their own abilities and not reliant on empty words from the chairman.

Um not quite sure who's embarrassed by musings on a message board.... so you think it's a fire sale to line Kat's pockets then. The players want to leave because really top teams want them. It's really that simple.

Um not quite sure who's embarrassed by musings on a message board.... so you think it's a fire sale to line Kat's pockets then. The players want to leave because really top teams want them. It's really that simple.

And we will happily oblige.

It's not just those wanted by really top sides who are unsettled

Telling the players we could aim for the champions league, I expect.

What does this even mean? Hodgson told the media that England shouldn't be in the WC if it wasn't aiming to win it. Lofty ambitions is part and parcel of sport. Even now the new regime is talking about Europe while MP is aiming for the title at Spurs.

Some of the utter drivel on this site suggests posters are wet-behind-the-ears and have only taken up following football. That or they are disingenuous.

Now if anyone can point to specific, quasi-contractual promises, then that's a different matter. But they can't and won't.

Ultimately, the players who joined knew full well the course we were taking -namely that we weren't going to break the bank to make progress and that we were going to integrate youth, even if it sacrificed a degree of short-run success.

By definition, players know what side their bread is buttered on -contrary to dullards claims on here, so could work through the implications of what this approach was realistically likely to achieve and not. Nobody was hoodwinked about these constraints. Regardless they joined. The rest, including talk of CL football, is frankly irrelevant.

Edited by shurlock

Oh dear. That horrible woman wrecking your dreams.

Embarrassing is indeed the word.

Strive to over achieve expectations targets etc.......you might just surprise yourself .

The alternative is to be negative non performer.

Cortese did nothing wrong setting a high target to achieve .....If it had been huge bonuses would have kicked in for the players and staff as it did with the promotions.

It seems unlikely that anyone would buy JRod before the outcome of his injury is known - the chances of him coming back, and this season being at the level he was when injured are slim. we see time and again that players returning from long term injuries pick up niggles and strains when they start full competitive action.

The buying club won't be able to insure him - but the same applies to use giving him a new and/or extended contract; So I'm left wondering how much truth there is in any of this.

You never hear players say that they signed for a club because of the chairman, yet in most cases it's the chairman that chooses them and not the manager.

If jay is waiting for a better offer I really do find that harsh on the club who have been amazing to him and getting him fully fit again.

Read some article in some red top that he is weighing up the full extent of the offer from Liverpool, Spurs and us.

1. Where is your evidence for this point?

2. I am sure when players/potential managers meet with the Chairman he/she does there best to sell the club and the club's asperations to the prospective new employee. There have been a number of occasions where the person hasnt been impressed with what they have heard and havn't joined the club. Cortese seemed to pride himself on his "vision" and we were told he was very good at selling that "vision" to others. I am sure he would be very upset to hear his profound words to be described by an internet jockey as "empty words."

So back to point 1 again before I close. If you are going to slander the owner I suggest you are sure of your facts. My understanding was IF we had to sell, we would make sure we got top dollar. That is very different to the spin you put on it.

Read some article in some red top that he is weighing up the full extent of the offer from Liverpool, Spurs and us.

yep but as stated on here there is no way he would pass a medical, so its tosh for the media to say he has offers from elsewhere

Contrary to reports, he was pushed as opposed to 'jumped ship'. Was told by a staff member at the club. He is bitter and probably wishes he still had his play toy

By that token, why have we offered a 5 year extension?

I imagine someone will know much more than me on this, but I think its a combination of: (1) much less risk for an existing club as no transfer fee to pay. Wages will be the same for both; (2) the medical and insurance points are much more of an issue for a club without any existing exposure to liability for the player; (3) the existing club obviously has very detailed knowledge of the player, the injury and the prognosis, so can judge the situation far better.

I am sure there have been past examples elsewhere of a player with a known injury not getting a move to a new club and then signing an extension with their existing one, though I am not able to recall names

By that token, why have we offered a 5 year extension?

I imagine we have insurance for him so if he doesnt play again we are covered. Would you buy a car that had been in a crash and there wasnt certainty that it would run again? If it was yours already and it doesnt you are covered. I cant imagine Liverpool's insurers taking the risk.

I imagine we have insurance for him so if he doesnt play again we are covered. Would you buy a car that had been in a crash and there wasnt certainty that it would run again? If it was yours already and it doesnt you are covered. I cant imagine Liverpool's insurers taking the risk.

Insurance wouldn't cover him returning and being poorer due to the injury.

Insurance wouldn't cover him returning and being poorer due to the injury.

True, but I am not talking about the subjective, but something definitive. Like an end to the career, recurrence of the injury etc. As I say, not exactly sure how it all works.

Yea, no real advantage for him signing a 5 year deal at this stage.

There is a big advantage for Jay signing a new contract now, he may never recover from his injury, some don't.

If he signs now, at least he sets up his pension. If he does make a full recovery, then a bigger club will come back for him anyway.

It's not that simple at all

Katharina HAS moved the Goalposts, her objectives for the Club are NOT as high as her Father's were

It is that fact, that has made the Players review their situations, and seek Clubs with Bigger Ambitions

Katharina is not the Saviour that her father was. She has no deep rooted love for Football in general, or Saints in particular

To her, all SFC is now, is, in the words of George Cole " A nice little earner "

End of

Katharina HAS moved the Goalposts, her objectives for the Club are NOT as high as her Father's were

It is that fact, that has made the Players review their situations, and seek Clubs with Bigger Ambitions

Katharina is not the Saviour that her father was. She has no deep rooted love for Football in general, or Saints in particular

To her, all SFC is now, is, in the words of George Cole " A nice little earner "

End of

You post the same nonsense on every thread. It is pure spamming. Give it a rest you retard.

End of

Players aren't at Southampton for ambition, there here for money, pure and simple.

I think a lot of players bought into Cortese's Champions League dream though.

that's all it was,a dream

it was never going to happen

weve won one cup of note in our history

the big four have all the money and there's no chance we'd reach that level,plus they wouldn't let us,as is being shown with our best players being grabbed and we stay where we are,a middle of the table premier league team

any of the players who join us come for the money and hope they get a better money offer in time

the sad thing is you also get mercenaries,aka,dejan

doesn't matter if jrod signs this or not,it just gives saints the chance to get the best deal possible when it comes to him being sold,probably in the January transfer ,as I think he wants to go now.

contracts mean,f*** all now

End of

You know naff all about what goes on behind the scenes and writing in bold and capitals won't convince anyone otherwise, sorry to be the one to break that to you. C ock

I'm sure the players did like NC's Champions League chat.

But i don't believe that the likes of Lovren, Lambert, Shaw and Lallana wouldn't have wanted to leave to go to the likes of Liverpool and United even if NC and MP were still here.

They are still huge clubs, far bigger than us, and most players would want to play for them given half the chance. NC might have fought harder to keep them, but the size of the bids that we have ended up getting to would have likely swayed him to let them go as well.

It's disappointing for us after the season we enjoyed last year, but that is where we are at

You know naff all about what goes on behind the scenes and writing in bold and capitals won't convince anyone otherwise, sorry to be the one to break that to you. C ock

So pleased that, yet again, you come back with counter arguments. I know more about what goes on "behind the scenes" than you think.

If you can't or won't see what's going on then I feel very very sorry for you. After the first few League matches, you may even change your mind, though I doubt it

For all I know, you may be a SFC plant ??

But I will apologise for the bold caps

End of

You keep repeating this so if it is true I think you need to provide some insight to the validity of your source. So far all I see are the ramblings of a nutter who has the serail-killer tendency to capitalise random words.

Players aren't at Southampton for ambition, there here for money, pure and simple.

certainly the biggest factor but i'm sure they are all interested in progression. personal professional progression, salary progression, and team progression.

when the team is at a perceived plateau and you are staying to maintain a standard rather than progress to the next level, the prospects look worse of progression in all other aspects.

the club's ambition may or may not have stalled. what has certainly happened is we've quickly reached the point when enough people inside and outside of the club think we've hit the glass ceiling and want to move onto the next gravy train or the big pay off.