Sky Sources: New 5 Year Contract offered to Jay Rodriguez

Colinjb

Rumour seems to be Liverpool....again.

Who else!?

Jay looked to be walking alright onto the plane before pre-season. I would assume he cannot load his knee too much currently but is in light training to build his strength back-up.

A slight risk given his injury, but the club must be positive about his recovery chances to offer a 5 year contract in the first place.

More money for him in the short-term and we are guaranteed a decent transfer should he ever follow Lallana and Lambert into the Melwood sunset. Hopefully it never comes to that.

Would it not be prudent to see how he fairs once he returns from injury before offering him the earth, or does a delay open the door to his departure?

As much as I'd like our top talent to stay, it doesn't half show weakness that a player out with a serious injury can still force the club to offer him a new deal.

Bet he doesn't sign it

To be fair, we are probably in a strong negotiating position given that he is recovering from a career-threatening injury.

At least they have put the offer out in the public domain as well so we can avoid being played by non-committal vagueisms and talk of a 'relaxed' situation. Maybe the board are learning their lessons.

Interesting. Clearly at least one other club is in for him.

Really hope he signs, though the actions of our ex-skipper would indicate it isn't exactly the biggest sign of long-term loyalty.

Was told a while back, by someone whose family is close to Jay's (from Burnley), that Poch had told Jay's family before he left that he'd like to work with him again.

That comment was made in March, roughly.

To be fair, we are probably in a strong negotiating position given that he is recovering from a career-threatening injury.

At least they have put the offer out in the public domain as well so we can avoid being played by non-committal vagueisms and talk of a 'relaxed' situation. Maybe the board are learning their lessons.

He will know his progress and he appears to be working hard. He's the fittest member of the squad so a good recovery is likely. I think he is in a great position to look at his options in Jan/next summer and not have Saints having scope to negotiate huge fee's

The fact that the "offer" has leaked out makes me think this may be the case.

Orrr, he signs it for this season but with a release clause in it.

Yeah I agree. Without doing the whole xfiles conspiracy type thing, I would not be surprised if this was leaked from us to show we want him to stay when really we know he is off.

I hope that is of course not true and he stays but you never know.

Was told a while back, by someone whose family is close to Jay's (from Burnley), that Poch had told Jay's family before he left that he'd like to work with him again.

That comment was made in March, roughly.

So Poch was telling players he might be off around March? What a tit.

Would it not be prudent to see how he fairs once he returns from injury before offering him the earth, or does a delay open the door to his departure?

As much as I'd like our top talent to stay, it doesn't half show weakness that a player out with a serious injury can still force the club to offer him a new deal.

24 - 48 hours ago many were slagging the new, useless, out of depth board for not resolving his new promised deal earlier. Now though a 5 year deal is a sign of weakness from the same useless people who are able to assess his injury progress much better than anyone

he would be dumb to give us the raspberry on this new contract, loads of players are never quite the same after ACL :(. That is some show of faith from the board right there yo!

I dont think he did his ACL at all. He clearly knew that England were going to be w*nk in the WC and didnt want to be anywhere near the squad so faked it :)

It's an interesting tactic, I can't remember seeing a new contract leak into the media like this before? New contracts with us are announced on our OS - that's when we know about it. Seems a tactic used to put the ball in Jay's court, the club have clearly been forced to act upon significant interest.

His rehabilitation is going much better than expected fwiw, should be back October time.

Do we really need 2 identical posts about this earth shattering news??

They weren't identical, they were 50 seconds apart thanks to stupid forum posting rules

Ah, I see, the threads have been merged at last. My interesting social media experiment worked then :D

Clever by the club. They can be seen to be proactive with regards to Jay and show he's important, if he wants to leave and doesn't sign then the onus is on him abandoning the club as they rehabilitate him back to full health.

Pushing Jay into a corner really, be interesting to see what he does.

24 - 48 hours ago many were slagging the new, useless, out of depth board for not resolving his new promised deal earlier. Now though a 5 year deal is a sign of weakness from the same useless people who are able to assess his injury progress much better than anyone

The Cortese over anyone brigade are a strange bunch. We are run worse than the Venkys apparently despite arguably an upgrade of manager, two very good signings (on paper), getting top dollar for our two want away stars and new deals on the table to our remaining ones.

Do we really need 2 identical posts about this earth shattering news??

Do we really need a post about a duplicate post about a duplicate thread?:)

On a side note, not sure what to make of the news. Interesting to see if he signs it, but someone is talking and they will definitely have their motives.

Seems bonkers to me given his current injury surely it will be impossible for us to insure ourselves against the terms of this new deal so should he not recover we would land up paying out 50K a week for the next 5 years for a player who will never kick a ball again at the top level?