Sky Sources: New 5 Year Contract offered to Jay Rodriguez

Colinjb

Seems bonkers to me given his current injury surely it will be impossible for us to insure ourselves against the terms of this new deal so should he not recover we would land up paying out 50K a week for the next 5 years for a player who will never kick a ball again at the top level?

Seems a pretty good indicator to me that he's already well beyond the "should he not recover" concerns.

Seems bonkers to me given his current injury surely it will be impossible for us to insure ourselves against the terms of this new deal so should he not recover we would land up paying out 50K a week for the next 5 years for a player who will never kick a ball again at the top level?

He has recovered, fully. He's just got to get his fitness back now, and build up the muscle tissues around the knee. That's it. His knee injury recovered and healed fine.

Strikes me as a bold roll of the dice from the board. If he signs it will signal good times to come and demonstrate our continued attraction to top players as a good place to be. If he refuses it will make explicit a desire to follow others out the door that could be extremely damaging to how we are perceived. In purely football terms, he's absolutely vital for us now; his form in some of the home games I saw last season was sensational - Norwich and Newcastle at home in particular he was superb. His touch, pace and variety of finishing were scary.

Its only clever if they already know he's going to sign.

Would be embarrassing announcing the offer and then him not signing it - it would have been better to keep quiet.

Don't know about that, it deflects negative attention from the board "We did everything in our power to keep Jay, blah blah."

I have forwarded this to Ron, Les and Gareth, marked "urgent", as I doubt that they have thought about this at all

He has recovered, fully. He's just got to get his fitness back now, and build up the muscle tissues around the knee. That's it. His knee injury recovered and healed fine.

i hope that's the case S-Clarke, i hope he's more (insert name of player who was as good after ACL) than Essien, Sandro, Fraizier Campbell etc

Seems a pretty good indicator to me that he's already well beyond the "should he not recover" concerns.

But some players are never quite the same after such an injury. i suspect he might go down the Michael Owen route, as, speaking from experience, the injury tends to throw out of sync other areas, for example weakening the hamstrings. Hope I'm wrong.

But some players are never quite the same after such an injury. i suspect he might go down the Michael Owen route, as, speaking from experience, the injury tends to throw out of sync other areas, for example weakening the hamstrings. Hope I'm wrong.

On the bright side, I knackered my ligaments in 2000 and scored 9 goals in a county level match about 6 weeks later, so you can bounce back.

The tackle DID utterly sod my knee cartilage and I now have arthritis in it, but the ligaments are fine and only lack of inclination has ruined my pace. :D

All this does is lift the price a bit for Liverpool/Spurs.

How? He hasn't even signed it?

Would be great news if he does, but if I were him, I would be waiting a bit, he will have a lot of good clubs in for him, especially as his price tag reduces the nearer it gets to expiry.

Its a nice show of faith from the board, seeing as he is injured, but doesn't seem his injury has put other clubs off anyway.

I love jay. He has been fantastic for saints, but the amount of people I see not the same or have recurrences really worries me.

I really really really hope he makes it back ok without any lingering issues etc but I seriously doubt we will see him back in 2014 and wouldn't be surprised if he does not make it back until March or April 2015

On the bright side, I knackered my ligaments in 2000 and scored 9 goals in a county level match about 6 weeks later, so you can bounce back.

The tackle DID utterly sod my knee cartilage and I now have arthritis in it, but the ligaments are fine and only lack of inclination has ruined my pace. :D

Think an ACL is a tad worse than cartialage, although I did play around 4 games after I tore mine the second time around, a couple up front scoring a few and a couple at CB, though I played quite well it did buckle every game eventually (45-60mins)

DT is right, it is a weakener, and pace killer IMO but then we are talking about the very top level here

Think an ACL is a tad worse than cartialage, although I did play around 4 games after I tore mine the second time around, a couple up front scoring a few and a couple at CB, though I played quite well it did buckle every game eventually (45-60mins)

DT is right, it is a weakener, and pace killer IMO but then we are talking about the very top level here

Ruptured ACL is a tad worse than a tear, too!

Much would depend on the method used to provide the fix. Hamstring tendon is common, but as stated eleswhere here that can lead to further complications in that area.

Either way, the ACL op may have gone as well as anyone wanted and the recovery may be going swimmingly too - with any ACL reconstruction there is a minimum time for the repair to be fully resilient to the stresses and strains that this particular ligmament works under. That period is, from memory, around 3 months. After this, the body is more accepting of the repair and starts to treat the new material as if it were a real ACL. (I stand to be corrected, but the new ACL material would actually start to be transformed by those clever cells into a real ligament, rather than a tendon...)

So, it's around the 3 month mark since the injury and therefore the early stages of risk have passed. That doesn't prevent many other possible risks to the fixed ACL, especially in the knee of a top athlete who wants to get back to the top of their contact sport.

Still a long way to go for JRod, but he has all the advice/support and time he needs to get it right.

As for a 5 year deal - I'll believe it when the OS reports it! If I choose not to believe the press over things I don't want to happen, why would I start to believe them over things I do want to happen!

You never know with those injuries until he plays on it and takes contact, he could also be screwed mentally which has happened to players after nasty injuries. I hope he does come back but any club that offers contracts or signs players who have not proved themselves following such a serious injury is for me taking a big risk.

You never know with those injuries until he plays on it and takes contact, he could also be screwed mentally which has happened to players after nasty injuries. I hope he does come back but any club that offers contracts or signs players who have not proved themselves following such a serious injury is for me taking a big risk.

Really, you are persisting with this? You dont think that anyone has thought about this at all. Wow the board are even more useless than others have suggested.

Ruptured ACL is a tad worse than a tear, too!

Much would depend on the method used to provide the fix. Hamstring tendon is common, but as stated eleswhere here that can lead to further complications in that area.

Either way, the ACL op may have gone as well as anyone wanted and the recovery may be going swimmingly too - with any ACL reconstruction there is a minimum time for the repair to be fully resilient to the stresses and strains that this particular ligmament works under. That period is, from memory, around 3 months. After this, the body is more accepting of the repair and starts to treat the new material as if it were a real ACL. (I stand to be corrected, but the new ACL material would actually start to be transformed by those clever cells into a real ligament, rather than a tendon...)

So, it's around the 3 month mark since the injury and therefore the early stages of risk have passed. That doesn't prevent many other possible risks to the fixed ACL, especially in the knee of a top athlete who wants to get back to the top of their contact sport.

Still a long way to go for JRod, but he has all the advice/support and time he needs to get it right.

As for a 5 year deal - I'll believe it when the OS reports it! If I choose not to believe the press over things I don't want to happen, why would I start to believe them over things I do want to happen!

Without going too much into it I think its between 3-6 months before full integration, 3 months is full movement I think. As per the ligament itself it never transforms to a proper ligament, the nerves are torn and it will never send the 'stretch' messages back to the brain.

However, I imagine it wont be a hammy op site, itll be a cadaver.

Bet he doesn't sign it

Ever the optimist!!! :( Why wouldnt he? he will get paid more money despite his injury and if he does want out in the future it will hardly bind him here for the duration. If he is clever he will ask for a buy out clause. There is no guarantee that he will be the same player again so this gives him security. I'd say he would be crazy not to.

very surprised by the negativity to this...

1) I suspect the leak is for two reasons.. firstly to put some public pressure on JRod and 2 to demonstrate to fans/other clubs that we genuinely are a now holding the line about selling players

2) suspect the club's hand has been forced by an offer.. hence why they've rushed this.. rather than the wait and assess, with Cork

3) I wouldn't be worried about the injury...his game is not all about pace...surgery technology gets better all the time... and Shearer had some of his best years after snapping a cruciate almost 20 years ago.

let's hope he signs.. and we also make a statement of intent to build from here...

P.S. Hope Cork get a contract soon as well..

I have forwarded this to Ron, Les and Gareth, marked "urgent", as I doubt that they have thought about this at all

Did you remember to attach one of those red exclamation mark thingies to your e-mail? Apparently that will guarantee immediate and undivided attention.

Ever the optimist!!! :( Why wouldnt he? he will get paid more money despite his injury and if he does want out in the future it will hardly bind him here for the duration. If he is clever he will ask for a buy out clause. There is no guarantee that he will be the same player again so this gives him security. I'd say he would be crazy not to.

Because if he signs a five year deal now he is less likely to get a move to one of the big clubs who are clearly interested. Ultimately, he could not sign and have a pick of a number of clubs who would be in for him in Jan or next summer, safe in the knowledge that Saints won't be able to drive a ludicrous price which could prevent a move.

Did you remember to attach one of those red exclamation mark thingies to your e-mail? Apparently that will guarantee immediate and undivided attention.

nah, dont worry, I already heard back from Gareth. He said he was grateful and is rushing out a contract offer to alex2001 too, as special advisor to the board