Sky Sources: New 5 Year Contract offered to Jay Rodriguez

Colinjb

I think Liverpool know something that some on here would have you believe you don't know!

Have they got incriminating photos of someone on our board if not isn't it finally time for someone on saints board to at last say enough is enough and FO Liverpool at least until we have got some decent replacements in! If this money is really there to be invested why the F do we need more. Also surely Jrod is the easiest one to keep as he is injured and by the time he recovers he will be able to see the new fantastic team we are assembling and buy into the boards great ambitions and will not want to go! (even if he goes then he will surely be worth more fit than injured)

Personally, I'm least bothered by Jay Rod leaving out of the whole bunch. If someone wants to gamble £10m plus on a player of his type with that type of injury, fine. Let's use the money to spend 26p on a new striker and £9m plus on making our bank manager get a semi.

Personally, I'm least bothered by Jay Rod leaving out of the whole bunch. If someone wants to gamble £10m plus on a player of his type with that type of injury, fine. Let's use the money to spend 26p on a new striker and £9m plus on making our bank manager get a semi.

he is back in training. By all accounts the injury is all but healed. he now has to build up the area around his knee

he is going to be back much sooner than expected/predicted

Would rather keep hold of j rod than any of the rest he was making huge progress before the injury and has the potential to be a top striker if he works hard on his finishing everything else is there, that said will he ever be the same after the injury? we just don't know

he is back in training. By all accounts the injury is all but healed. he now has to build up the area around his knee

he is going to be back much sooner than expected/predicted

If I write it on Saints web it will become true

• 2 weeks later...
If he had signed it the club would have made a massive fuss. He's not in his final year, so no rush for Rodriguez, and he has gone about this in the most dignified manner of the lot of them.

As dignified as yo can get by not signing a contract

As with Clyne, JRod has to decide between Jam today and Jam tomorrow. He will continue to be paid according to his existing contract until it expires, so he can see it out, gambling on the possibility that he may then get higher pay somewhere else, but not until then. Or he can agree a new contract with SFC now and immediately move to higher pay, which may or may not be as good as he would eventually get elsewhere. It's a risk if he refuses to sign as anything could happen, such as loss of form, or another injury.

As dignified as yo can get by not signing a contract

What are you talking about? He doesn't have to sign a new contract to be dignified or to satisfy fans demands for a show of loyalty. If he sees out his existing one, he will have done everything he is obliged to do and what we can reasonably expect.

What are you talking about? He doesn't have to sign a new contract to be dignified or to satisfy fans demands for a show of loyalty. If he sees out his existing one, he will have done everything he is obliged to do and what we can reasonably expect.

I've never understood why more football players don't play out their contracts and then sign on free transfers where they can get more money because their new club didn't need to pay a transfer fee.

I've never understood why more football players don't play out their contracts and then sign on free transfers where they can get more money because their new club didn't need to pay a transfer fee.

Because clubs will, in most cases try and force the issue and sell the player.

Or, offer them security of a longer term contract, and two, three or five years of guaranteed income. The vast majority of players would be petrified of being a free agent.

What if a player did his ligaments in May 1st just as his contract ran down to zero? F***ed.

Because signing a new contract can only ever be a good thing for a player. As usual this comes down to wages, who doesn't want to get paid the maximum amount possible?

Importantly, I'm not sure there is a direct correlation between transfer fee and wages. Players will command a certian level of wages regardless of whether they arrived at the club on a Free Transfer, are signing a contract extension at their current club, or arrived after commanding a large transfer fee.

For example say Rooney and Van Persie are both represented by the same agent prior to Van Persie's move to ManU. Rooney signs a contract extension at £150k p/w. Van Persie now knows the club are willing to pay top level strikers £150k p/w, therefore he will only sign for similar wages, despite there being a £28m transfer fee to pay to Arsenal to secure his services.

I think clubs have to view the two pots of money, as independant of each other. The club will set their own salary ceiling, and will have a seperate transfer kitty. If you can accomodate the transfer within both, it goes ahead.

Who is to say RVP could have got a higher wages if he was a free agent, I don't think there is any evidence to support that? Market rate is market rate.

So if transfer fee does not have much of an impact (if any) on wages, then there is no reason not to sign a new contract (with increased wages) with your current club, if offered.

As a player, you will only be offered a new contract if you are playing well (in comparrison to how much you are earning).

Only poorly performing player's contracts are allowed to "run down". This is because no other clubs will "turn their heads" by trying to sign them, by offereing higher wages. Their current club is stuck (over)paying them for the remainder of the contract. At the end of the contract they will then most likely move elsewhere for lower wages. (Tommy Forecast, Billy Sharp Jonathan Forte etc.)

However, if you are playing well (in comparison to how much you are earning) your current club will want to secure your services for a longer term, by offering you a pay rise, (there current club will also benefit from the additional bonus that if another club tries to sign you, long before you are due to become a "free agent" you will command a higher transfer fee). (Jose Fonte, Jay Rodriguez)

Because of how the transfer system works, if your current club will not match how much you feel/know you can earn elsewhere (regardless of how recently you signed your most recent contract) you can just agitate for a move (Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw, Dejan Lovren, Morgan Schniederlin). Generally as players are too expensive an asset to let "rot in the reserves" you will get your way and the transfer will happen.

So basically, signing a new contract gives you an immediate pay rise and guarenteed employment for a longer period, but it still does not prevent you getting a transfer to an even bigger richer club on even higher wages, if they come calling.

So why wait to become a free agent?

Because signing a new contract can only ever be a good thing for a player. As usual this comes down to wages, who doesn't want to get paid the maximum amount possible?

Importantly, I'm not sure there is a direct correlation between transfer fee and wages. Players will command a certian level of wages regardless of whether they arrived at the club on a Free Transfer, are signing a contract extension at their current club, or arrived after commanding a large transfer fee.

For example say Rooney and Van Persie are both represented by the same agent prior to Van Persie's move to ManU. Rooney signs a contract extension at £150k p/w. Van Persie now knows the club are willing to pay top level strikers £150k p/w, therefore he will only sign for similar wages, despite there being a £28m transfer fee to pay to Arsenal to secure his services.

I think clubs have to view the two pots of money, as independant of each other. The club will set their own salary ceiling, and will have a seperate transfer kitty. If you can accomodate the transfer within both, it goes ahead.

Who is to say RVP could have got a higher wages if he was a free agent, I don't think there is any evidence to support that? Market rate is market rate.

So if transfer fee does not have much of an impact (if any) on wages, then there is no reason not to sign a new contract (with increased wages) with your current club, if offered.

As a player, you will only be offered a new contract if you are playing well (in comparrison to how much you are earning).

Only poorly performing player's contracts are allowed to "run down". This is because no other clubs will "turn their heads" by trying to sign them, by offereing higher wages. Their current club is stuck (over)paying them for the remainder of the contract. At the end of the contract they will then most likely move elsewhere for lower wages. (Tommy Forecast, Billy Sharp Jonathan Forte etc.)

However, if you are playing well (in comparison to how much you are earning) your current club will want to secure your services for a longer term, by offering you a pay rise, (there current club will also benefit from the additional bonus that if another club tries to sign you, long before you are due to become a "free agent" you will command a higher transfer fee). (Jose Fonte, Jay Rodriguez)

Because of how the transfer system works, if your current club will not match how much you feel/know you can earn elsewhere (regardless of how recently you signed your most recent contract) you can just agitate for a move (Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw, Dejan Lovren, Morgan Schniederlin). Generally as players are too expensive an asset to let "rot in the reserves" you will get your way and the transfer will happen.

So basically, signing a new contract gives you an immediate pay rise and guarenteed employment for a longer period, but it still does not prevent you getting a transfer to an even bigger richer club on even higher wages, if they come calling.

So why wait to become a free agent?

Everything you say may be true, but aside from the injury issues, it doesn't make it rational. Why wouldn't a world class player, knowing he can get a 30 million pound transfer fee, simply become a free agent and tell the club that his price is the fair salary plus a 30 million signing bonus?

Nice to see Jay Rod sitting with his family at the game yesterday. Perhaps he would be expected to attend anyway but since he had his family with him it may indicate he still feels a certain connection with the club. As to what was in his mind, perhaps he was wondering if he might have done something with one of Mayuka's three chances.

Everything you say may be true, but aside from the injury issues, it doesn't make it rational. Why wouldn't a world class player, knowing he can get a 30 million pound transfer fee, simply become a free agent and tell the club that his price is the fair salary plus a 30 million signing bonus?

Ok lets say Morgan Schniederlin has an identical twin brother called Jorgen Schniederlin with identical football skills etc. They are thought to be of identical value to a team. At present they are both on £40k per week. However Morgan has 4 years left on his contract and his club is willing to sell him for £27m, but Jorgen has allowed his contract to run down and has just become a free agent. Both Arsenal and Spuds are desperate for a defensive midfielder.

Arsenal sign Jorgen "on a free" and double his wages to £80K p/w.

Spuds have missed out on Jorgen but are still keen on Morgan, so they pay the £27m and sign him. Morgan's agent points to the fact that Jorgen (an identical player) is on £80k p/w and say they will only agree personal terms if Morgan also commands a wage of £80k p/w. Spuds pay the "going rate".

Just beacuse Arsenal didn't have to pay a transfer fee for Jorgan, it didn't result in him getting more wages than a comparable player...

Who knows if such a scenario would play out the same way in real life?

I guess one advantage of players ensuring they are perpetually "under contract" rather than being "free agents" is that, if a bigger club wants to buy you, you would expect them to offer you improved wages over your current contract, otherwise why leave. However if you see out a contract and become a free agent, then you will only be able to earn what the highest offer is from any interested clubs, this may (or may not) be more than your previous contract. I know of no evidence to suggest that if there is no transfer fee to be paid, a players wages will be higher.

I stand by my assertion that market forces set the level of wages a player can command. This is seemingly pretty independant of whether a transfer fee has been paid for the player, or if they were a free agent, or if they are just re-negotiating a new contract with their current club.

Players will always demand to be paid the same as their peers, regardless of whether their peers have been transferred to the club for a high fee, arrived as a free agent, or have just renegotiated a new contract with their existing club... It's not just "the overall cost to the club of the transaction (transfer fee plus wages)" that determines wage level.

You hear stories of players demanding to be given a wage that matches the current highest earner at the club...

Jay Rod signing this contract extension will be a decisive moment for the Boardroom. It will signify that - finally - the players believe we are able to progress.

Woy Hodgson will tell him to leave for Liverpool though.

Not really. J-rod might as well sign the contract from saints what ever. It gives him piece of mind in case his injury recovery doesn't go to plan and means he knows he has money coming for the next five years. As this summer has shown if he gets a better offer the contract won't stop him leaving anyway. He doesn't need to have any belief in SFC the contract just gives him security until Spurs come calling.

Not really. J-rod might as well sign the contract from saints what ever. It gives him piece of mind in case his injury recovery doesn't go to plan and means he knows he has money coming for the next five years. As this summer has shown if he gets a better offer the contract won't stop him leaving anyway. He doesn't need to have any belief in SFC the contract just gives him security until Spurs come calling.

This

then, why hasnt he?

Yeah I bet Schneiderlin is happy he signed his new one a year ago...

Why?

If he leaves on a free, he'll get a massive signing on bonus.

Why?

If he leaves on a free, he'll get a massive signing on bonus.

That assumes he gets an offer from a team that can afford a massive signing on bonus and that probably depends on him recapturing the form he had before his injury. If I was him I'd be inclined to accept the safety net of a nice 5 year contract with us, in case things don't go according to plan, knowing I can still move on if a better offer comes in.

That assumes he gets an offer from a team that can afford a massive signing on bonus and that probably depends on him recapturing the form he had before his injury. If I was him I'd be inclined to accept the safety net of a nice 5 year contract with us, in case things don't go according to plan, knowing I can still move on if a better offer comes in.

then, why hasnt he?