INGS a possibility?

thorpie the sinner

Don't like to start new threads per se, but there have been rumours being mooted of our interest in Ings? With Burnley signing LJ today, just wondered if said people maybe in know thought this may pre-empt a bid? Obviously Burnley could be adding strength in depth, but if we are interested, seems like a good time to go for it!

Edited by thorpie the sinner

Don't like to start new threads per say, but there have been rumours being mooted of our interest in Ings? With Burnley signing LJ today, just wondered if said people maybe in know thought this may pre-empt a bid? Obviously Burnley could be adding strength in depth, but if we are interested, seems like a good time to go for it!

We shoulda signed LJ, he is a Saints fan and would have 'wanted to be here'. Unlike all those others.

:hunt:

Alan Nixon told me he expects Burnley to keep him even if he goes for free next summer as if he is the difference in staying up or going down 8m or so now is not worth it if you're losing out on 60m+ next year. Them signing these forwards are getting my hopes up though.

Not entirely sure what Burnley's transfer policy is all about. Fill the squad up with utter dross?? They seem to be going on the basis that Palace didn't go out and buy lots of foreigners and they stayed up. Yep, but they bought proven players....Ledley's, Dann, Puncheon, etc etc. They're just buying average NPC players. Bizarre.

We shoulda signed LJ, he is a Saints fan and would have 'wanted to be here'. Unlike all those others.

:hunt:

Well, so is Ings.... so we're just signing a fan with better ability! (no disrepect to LJ, used to play with him in my early teens)

Wasn't Vokes a Saints fan as well?

I swear I remember calls to sign him on that basis.

Yep. If some people had had their way we'd have those two plus Ings as our strikers, wade Elliot on the wing and Brian stock in midfield.

There was another wasn't there?

Howard, was it? Or was he just wanted for his talent and I've got it mixed up.

Talent, we don't want talent, we want players that supported the club as boys and bleed red and white.

We want players who purchased tickets in the Saints end for the JPT/FA Cup finals.

Edited by Big Bad Bob

Talent, we don't want talent, we want players that supported the club as boys and bleed black and white.

We want players who purchased tickets in the Saints end for the JPT/FA Cup finals.

Think you may wish to edit the last bit.

Caught my interest but it turned out to be just another kite flying. Its better really to have potential players names on threads only where there is some reasonable source to base a rumour.

Signings may be unlikely while the manager and the squad are in Belgium, so its a long wait after the excitement of two coming together last week/weekend.

Said this before (and only half in jest!):

Danny needs to invoke the unwritten 'boyhood club' law and force a move to Saints. Burnley can then spend a couple of years getting Luke up-to-scratch before he then also cites the 'boyhood club' thing and comes to Saints!

You cant force a move if saints arent interested, and saints arent interested. He was talking to Everton before the world cup, we haven't made an approach

Koeman will be unfamiliar with him which is a pity because I think it would be a good signing

But do you think RK will be in sole control rather than our transfer committee?

Although his input will be needed, and he may even have the final say, I can't see months of scouting reports etc not being used in the process.

Ings is pretty much rated by everyone around the England setup has having a very bright future.

The comparison to Sharp is not a bad one to be fair; although Danny is at the start of his career of course and can play across the front line more creatively than Sharp ever did!

But they are from the same cloth. Namely they are 'strikers': get a goal from anywhere type players.

If he did come to Saints, I would say (aside from Pelle, who I've not seen play) Ings would be the most talented striker at the club.

Would be very popular on here as he works his socks off and is English!

Aha. still sent from my effing nexus 4, but I have found the setting now dammit.

I was impressed by him when Burnley came to SMS last season in the Cup and he is only 21. A better player than Sharp without doubt.

yep, agreed on this. Not seen much more of him but have a friend who saw him about 4 times last season. His view "its very clear he is getting better and he is too good to stay at Burnley beyond the short term"

I suspect, given that it has been reported we have interest and had a bid rejected as well as Burnley saying he is not for sale, that something is happening. There are no guesses as to what the stumbling block would be. So how much would be a fair price in these days of mad transfers? Being in the final year of a contract should mean he is cheaper - £4m? Or is that unrealistically low/high? It is hard to tell these days. At that price, as has been said, Burnley would definitely want to keep, as if he helps keep them up, then £4m is small beer compared to what they would lose through relegation.

Koeman will be unfamiliar with him which is a pity because I think it would be a good signing

Why? I Saints are interested they will have plenty of evidence to show him. And we seem to be aware of plenty of foreign up and coming youngsters playing abroad, if Feyenoord's scouting network was even half as good as ours he should have known all about him anyway.

Local Burnley Journo Suzanne Geldard @LT_Suzanne):

No truth in the latest rumour that Burnley have rekected a bid from Southampton for Danny Ings. There hasn't been one.

She is very well connected to the club so would say its likely to be accurate. May change of course.

Weird that Burnley have ended up with three young strikers from Southampton in Vokes, Jutkiewicz & Ings.

All of whom have at one time or another have shown tremendous promise and who are all allegedly Saints fans.

Weird that Burnley have ended up with three young strikers from Southampton in Vokes, Jutkiewicz & Ings.

All of whom have at one time or another have shown tremendous promise and who are all allegedly Saints fans.

Last season they had Brian Stock as well, another Southampton lad from Hedge End. Basically Burnley is a northern Saints stronghold!