Transfer Rumours Only

Jimmy_D

Poch is in for Fonte now

Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino reportedly met for talks over signing Southampton defender Jose Fonte earlier this week, in view of bolstering his defensive options ahead of the new Premier League season, report Goal.

Although Saints chairman Ralph Krueger reportedly blocked Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin’s proposed moves to Spurs earlier this week, in an effort to curb the exodus of players that has blighted the South Coast side’s summer, the Argentine coach is keen to do business with his former club.

Fonte featured in all but two of Southampton’s Premier League fixtures last season and was a key member of their defensive line as they recorded an impressive eighth place finish.

However, the 30-year-old has just one year left on his current contract and is expected to be allowed to leave Southampton if a reasonable bid for his services is received, who are unwilling to let the centre back leave on a free transfer.

The news of Pochettino’s interest, with reports claiming the manager has already met the player to discuss the transfer, represents a further blow to the St. Mary’s outfit, who have been forced to endure a number of high profile departures.

Meanwhile, Spurs have conducted only a handful of transfers during the current window and need to strengthen further if they are to have any chance of competing for a place in the top four with the centre of defence in desperate need of new additions.

Taider looks handy but we don't need another CM unless we lose one. At the moment it will be hard enough to give Reed any game time plus Cork also. Even more so if MS does somehow stay.

Otther positions (CB, up front and out wide) are far, far more crucial.

Yep. and GK.

@solentsport: Ronald Koeman talks to @bigadamsport about Schneiderlin, Osvaldo loan deal, signings, & Brighton win https://t.co/EUwXnQcnj6 via @audioboo

So nice to hear Koeman speak so openly and honestly, makes a change from Poch and Nigel. Maybe this is the start of the open communication with the fans that the board promised?

Edited by JxgrSaint

Taider looks handy but we don't need another CM unless we lose one. At the moment it will be hard enough to give Reed any game time plus Cork also. Even more so if MS does somehow stay.

Otther positions (CB, up front and out wide) are far, far more crucial.

Do we need to sign a wide player or is Isgrove going to come good?

Do we need to sign a wide player or is Isgrove going to come good?

Yep. Not altogether sold on Isgrove. Gaston, even if he's playing well, seems injury-prone. And we still lack genuine pace in those positions. For all our wins, Pelle has been starved of service.

@solentsport: Ronald Koeman talks to @bigadamsport about Schneiderlin, Osvaldo loan deal, signings, & Brighton win https://t.co/EUwXnQcnj6 via @audioboo

So nice to hear Koeman speak so openly and honestly, makes a change from Poch and Nigel. Maybe this is the start of the open communication with the fans that the board promised?

Koeman basically just said Taidar is defo coming in.

The best signing we have made so far is Ronald Koeman. I have a feeling that this guy will become a SFC legend.

I think of he does well, he will be holland boss in 2 years time.

Which nothing you can do about that. Be good to get two good seasons if that is the case

Which nothing you can do about that. Be good to get two good seasons if that is the case

This is purely a gut feeling but I think he sees his career here as a bit longer than a couple of years. Not everyone sees the management of an International team as the pinnicle of their career. A lot of the best managers - Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho etc - see top club management as the better job. Time will tell of course but I do get the feeling he is looking to build something here.

F**k off.

What?

Absolutely nothing negative about that?

He is a Dutch legend. No doubt he will be their manager one day. Hiddink won't be their manager long term. Two good season in the prem could be enough

You can't blame a manager what so ever of his country come calling.

From watching the highlights, Tadic and Prowsey really stood out. Prowsey in particular seemed to really do well at finding space in good areas outside the box and put a couple of good shots on target as well as his goal, which hopefully could bode well for the "goals from midfield" factor that Lallana & Rodriguez gave us last season.

Overall i'm feeling pretty positive, squad seem to be working very well together and with a couple of additions I think we could very well be looking at another top-half finish!

*Puts on flak jacket and awaits "happy clapper" jibes*

I agree. I'm sure he'll do well for us but I'm also sure he'll be gone in 2 to 3 years to bigger and better things.

Even though i suggested hernandez a couple of months ago before the departures,i dont think its very likely at all now..lets be honest at the moment we are the laughing stock of the league,you only have to type southampton into twitter to read 50 jokes about us having our squad ripped apart.couple that with the interest from athletico madrid and napoli the chances of convincing him to come here look pretty bleak.

Laughing stock? The people I speak to (and I live a long way from Southampton) speak very respectfully about all of the talent we produce and what a good club we are.

From watching the highlights, Tadic and Prowsey really stood out. Prowsey in particular seemed to really do well at finding space in good areas outside the box and put a couple of good shots on target as well as his goal, which hopefully could bode well for the "goals from midfield" factor that Lallana & Rodriguez gave us last season.

Overall i'm feeling pretty positive, squad seem to be working very well together and with a couple of additions I think we could very well be looking at another top-half finish!

*Puts on flak jacket and awaits "happy clapper" jibes*

As well as Clyne, the 3 of them all ready seem to be reading each other's game well and look like they complement each other quite nicely - only friendlies, I know, but still a beacon of hope for the season ahead if we can forge an exciting, dynamic partnership there!

What?

He is a Dutch legend. No doubt he will be their manager one day. Hiddink won't be their manager long term. Two good season in the prem could be enough

Ferguson didnt want to manager Scotland, Wenger France so what makes you think that Ron is gagging to manage Holland?

Ferguson didnt want to manager Scotland, Wenger France so what makes you think that Ron is gagging to manage Holland?

Those managers are rare. More than likely, when your nation comes calling, you go. More so if you are not at a mega club that spends huge money.

I'm sure I read an interview where he was keen on the Dutch Job this time around and had he not got the job was very much interested in being hiddinks assistant and take over in a couple of years

Those managers are rare. More than likely, when your nation comes calling, you go. More so if you are not at a mega club that spends huge money.

Pure conjecture and why even bother to talk about it when the bloke has only just arrived? (and ask Arsenal fans about spending huge money)

The thing that people might not take into account is that he isn't just here by himself, he has his brother and the respective families to take into account. They could all settle down here for a good number of years if they so wished and things went well with the club. But then, there's not much security in football management (as WGS said, being sacked from being a manger isn't like being sacked in real life!)

Well we know he wants a CB and a ST. We also know about Forster. And then theres the probability of the lad from Inter coming in who is a CM! So i think the one to hope for this weekend are a winger as that would be a bonus . Are we also assuming that we aren't looking at a back up RB? We could have one hell of a squad come "Judgement Day".

What?

No offence, just read that they had long term plans for National manager. Koeman has a lot to prove before he is considered, which is a good thing for us.

Two pints if he does well with us just maybe he will want to continue with us as we may be on the fringe of the CL

I get the impression he is a pretty loyal manager . Into years time the team he is building will start to come to fruition

Hes not like the Argie ***** and knows what loyalty and dedication is all about

The futures bright the futures red and white and orange

Well we know he wants a CB and a ST. We also know about Forster. And then theres the probability of the lad from Inter coming in who is a CM! So i think the one to hope for this weekend are a winger as that would be a bonus . Are we also assuming that we aren't looking at a back up RB? We could have one hell of a squad come "Judgement Day".

I think it's fair to assume that we will be weaker than last season. I'm hopeful we may have enough to finish lower mid table though which would do me.

He all but confirmed it, along the lines of he would add quality to the squad, must be close.

Katalinic I thought that was the case , but wanted to clarification that's what he said , very good news , I was impressed with him in the World Cup

I'm glad I have maintained my optimism despite the exodus of a few want a ways

I also like RK's honest re Morgan and his tweet

I think it's fair to assume that we will be weaker than last season. I'm hopeful we may have enough to finish lower mid table though which would do me.

Agree to a point.Especially with regards the first team though i think we maybe stronger in certain positions with the right signings. In terms of squad depth though,i genuinely think we will be stronger (again transfer dependant). Add the fact that players like J-W-P,Clyne and Wanyama should be better than last season through experience and i have hope where there was very little.

I actually think we will be a stronger side. I think if we had put last years squad into this season we would not have improved on our league position. I think last season we played to our maximum ability.

In think if we are to try to improve on the league position we had to make serious changes.

Just my opinion that.

Obviously it depends on who we bring in. If we bring in the players we are expecting we should be looking at top 6 in my opinion

Maybe not this season as its left to late to fell. But I expect a stronger finish this season and next season top 6

Agree to a point.Especially with regards the first team though i think we maybe stronger in certain positions with the right signings. In terms of squad depth though,i genuinely think we will be stronger (again transfer dependant). Add the fact that players like J-W-P,Clyne and Wanyama should be better than last season through experience and i have hope where there was very little.

We really aren't going to do better than last season. I think some fans are unrealistically optimistic.

Oops, my post above was supposed to be in the Pre Season thread, but meh.

Looking at the squad, I still think we need to bring in a Goalkeeper, a CB and a Striker but I think we'll have our goalie and CB wrapped up by the end of the week (Forster and Van Dijk). Just need to bring in somebody who can have an impact off the bench as well as being able to step up when Pelle is injured/out of form. Still think Ings would be the perfect choice for that role, just depends on who RK thinks is best to fit that description..

We really aren't going to do better than last season. I think some fans are unrealistically optimistic.

I think if we finish 8th again (basically top of our league) then Koeman will have worked a miracle. That's not to sound like I don't think he can finish 8th.

If we bring in a nice mix of loans and youth to compliment our own (the Everton model), I think we could do rather better than people expect us to.