The Les Reed is a Waste of Space thread

SarniaSaint

on second thoughts Nah I never say sorry :)

OK, don't apologise for all the bile you spat in Les Reed's direction. Just admit that you got it very badly wrong and accept that if a similar scenario rears its head in the future, if you go off half-cock again your posts will be met with the derision that they deserve.

If we've learnt anything from January this year it is that the club is being built on very sound platforms. No particular area of the football or business side has a single point of failure. We appear to be structured perfectly to deal with change. Change will always be a part of Southampton FC it is how we prepare for change that will be the key to our success.

Les was always the one we had to put our trust in, I'm baffled as to why so many were intent on turning on him.

The one link to our rise after NC left, quite clearly had a big say in our 5 year rise, yet people were so quick to blame him for everything.

He is the one responsible for the appointments of the manager - not done to bad has he?

I must admit this fits in with quite a lot of what I have been told. I know only a few months ago MoPo and his team intended to stay, one of his assistants family were making plans to attend uni here etc etc. I don't think anyone at SFC understands how a club is run in football terms and after losing confidence the players want out. I think the blame must lie with the Board and the person in charge.

Guessing pretty much what you told them when you recently met them? How did they react?

OK, don't apologise for all the bile you spat in Les Reed's direction. Just admit that you got it very badly wrong and accept that if a similar scenario rears its head in the future, if you go off half-cock again your posts will be met with the derision that they deserve.

LOL you think MY posts deserve derision go look at the 9000 of yours LOL :)

Having read the telegraph article I just had to go back to see who started this thread. Very rarely do that. Just wanted some clarity on who it was that got this so spectacularly wrong. This will obviously affect said persons credibility on this forum going forward. You can't go so far out on a limb like that with no evidence and expect to have your posts viewed in the same way going forward. Nothing personal, don't know you, but know your posting name and that's enough.

LOL you think MY posts deserve derision go look at the 9000 of yours LOL :)

So show me where I have started a thread that so spectacularly backfired as badly as yours. You have been made to look like a total idiot and frankly it doesn't really surprise me that somebody capable of expressing such bile towards Les Reed is incapable of admitting that events have now proved he was wrong to do so.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but people now bringing up old posts of people's opinions AT THE TIME, to point score are pretty pathetic. No one (apart from uber fan Nick G) is right 100% of the time and this place would be really boring without good honest criticism when it appears deserved. There was a time during the summer when it looked like the club was self-destructing. Happily that proved not be true and I for one am not in the least bit ashamed that for a brief period of time I doubted the Board. AT THE TIME I had good reason. And if everyone on here is completely honest I bet they aren't many (Nick G excepted of course) who when we sold our best players didn't have a flicker of doubt?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but people now bringing up old posts of people's opinions AT THE TIME, to point score are pretty pathetic. No one (apart from uber fan Nick G) is right 100% of the time and this place would be really boring without good honest criticism when it appears deserved. There was a time during the summer when it looked like the club was self-destructing. Happily that proved not be true and I for one am not in the least bit ashamed that for a brief period of time I doubted the Board. AT THE TIME I had good reason. And if everyone on here is completely honest I bet they aren't many (Nick G excepted of course) who when we sold our best players didn't have a flicker of doubt?

Its not point scoring. People were coming out with all sorts of bo*locks all summer, on about protesting, accusations of assets stripping, turning their back on the club. They didn't have faith in those in charge, they believed the Neil Ashton lead campaign that without Cortese we were nothing, now he had gone it would all fall apart, when in fact early indications are whilst he did a lot of good we're better off without him. Those that reserved judgment and stood by the club deserve to laugh at those so called fans who were quick to jump up and down.

As for you, well its difficult to take you seriously when one minute you're slagging the club off as not being run for the fans and the next posing for pictures with the owners.

Plenty of sensible fans never had any doubt that we weren't asset stripping.

It's not hindsight whatsoever. It was just lack of foresight by fu cking idiots.

It's not hindsight whatsoever. It was just lack of foresight by fu cking idiots.

I thought it, or something like it, for a mo when BBC announced we were selling Morgan + J-Rod to Spurs! BBC don't usually announce stuff like that unless it's Fact. F*cking BBC c*nts making me look like mug!

The only people that think it is "pathetic" to revisit old threads are those who are too embarrassed or belligerent to actually admit they got it wrong in the first place. Its the classic Alpine Saint defence of "Its what I believed at the time therefore it was fair comment". No; you just got it wrong. Plenty did, so just hold your hand up and admit it.

Those that expressed doubts are all happy to be proven wrong. I am. During the summer I said I'd give it until the transfer window was closed to make a full decision but I was very doubtful of the board at one point, and whether they had the ability to pull us through. I got that one wrong, I should have had more faith in them. There you go, it's actually very easy to say you were wrong rather than go round the houses and paint a picture to distract from the fact, just because you can't admit you didn't get it right.

Thank you for your praise.

However, I will admit to some doubt when the Lambert rumours first surfaced - doubt about us moving forward, not believing gossip about fire sale, KL wanting out etc.

Also, when Wotte took over and the young team played some good football, I did think we were going to be OK.

I respect diverse opinions, but its strange that on saints forum (by definition meant to be biased) and whilst usually right I get mocked and told I'm deluded. Sure there is some interesting social interaction explanation. You are probably very good and enjoy the history, try to enjoy the present without looking for negatives which often don't exist :)

I'd be concerned by any fan who didn't have concerns following the sale of Chambers. The most positive anyone was at that point was saying things like 'I hope the board are true to their word', or 'I'm sure it won't be as bad as it looks like it will be, let's wait until the window closes'. Basically, the most positive opinions were based on hope, and most fans were beginning to suspect the worst case scenario might have been true.

I'd be concerned by any fan who didn't have concerns following the sale of Chambers. The most positive anyone was at that point was saying things like 'I hope the board are true to their word', or 'I'm sure it won't be as bad as it looks like it will be, let's wait until the window closes'. Basically, the most positive opinions were based on hope, and most fans were beginning to suspect the worst case scenario might have been true.

I'm glad you're speaking for everyone but then as we've seen in the past you do have an extraordinary high opinion of yourself.

The thing that my positive outlook was based upon was The appointment of Ronald Koeman. No way would someone of his stature in the game be stupid enough to come to a club where he was going to be hung out to dry. I believed and said as much as time he was the right man at the right time. A manager with the stature in the game to steady the ship, settle the other players down and attract some new players himself. Throughout the whole period the only time I had any doubt was when Chambers went, we could easily have said no to that but clearly the management decided it was a good deal for us. The others were alway going to go and with the exception of Lambert we're better off without them, just like the former CEO and just like the former manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Joensuu View Post

I'm glad you're speaking for everyone but then as we've seen in the past you do have an extraordinary high opinion of yourself.

The thing that my positive outlook was based upon was The appointment of Ronald Koeman. No way would someone of his stature in the game be stupid enough to come to a club where he was going to be hung out to dry. I believed and said as much as time he was the right man at the right time. A manager with the stature in the game to steady the ship, settle the other players down and attract some new players himself. Throughout the whole period the only time I had any doubt was when Chambers went, we could easily have said no to that but clearly the management decided it was a good deal for us. The others were alway going to go and with the exception of Lambert we're better off without them, just like the former CEO and just like the former manager.

Not sure about the context of Jonesuu comment, but it seems reasonable to me. 'Hope' is a more legitimate word than 'faith' when talking about a relatively new board of directors. Having demonstrated they're able to manage choppy waters, I think we can now have 'faith' in them. Therefore, future pant stainers should be very circumspect before they open their figurative gobs.

Its not point scoring. People were coming out with all sorts of bo*locks all summer, on about protesting, accusations of assets stripping, turning their back on the club. They didn't have faith in those in charge, they believed the Neil Ashton lead campaign that without Cortese we were nothing, now he had gone it would all fall apart, when in fact early indications are whilst he did a lot of good we're better off without him. Those that reserved judgment and stood by the club deserve to laugh at those so called fans who were quick to jump up and down.

As for you, well its difficult to take you seriously when one minute you're slagging the club off as not being run for the fans and the next posing for pictures with the owners.

Think that is unfair - I did slag the club off when it was being run by Cortese because his methods were far from fan friendly but I can't remember being too critical of the present set-up. Apart from my little wobble when the players were being sold I have very much supported the board and continue to be impressed.

Thank you for your praise.

However, I will admit to some doubt when the Lambert rumours first surfaced - doubt about us moving forward, not believing gossip about fire sale, KL wanting out etc.

Also, when Wotte took over and the young team played some good football, I did think we were going to be OK.

I respect diverse opinions, but its strange that on saints forum (by definition meant to be biased) and whilst usually right I get mocked and told I'm deluded. Sure there is some interesting social interaction explanation. You are probably very good and enjoy the history, try to enjoy the present without looking for negatives which often don't exist :)

Well it is all down to character and personality. I am one of those who comes from the "too good to be true" brigade. Probably because I am older than you. My son who is 20 can see no wrong in Saints but I try to keep his feet on the ground, that way the fall when it comes is not so painful. That philosophy might be alien to you and fair enough but it is how I deal with life.....and Saints :)

Nutshell.

I was fuming about the Chambers sale and I still think it's a mistake but I also know it was out of our hands.

The Lambert sale hurt, because it was Rickie, although it was obvious it was good business. Lallana just f**ked me off this his attitude and I hope the priick suffers a career ending injury very soon. Lovren was clearly off as he said goodbye to everyone as soon as the season ended and we all knew Shaw was off at Xmas.

As soon as it was clear that RK was coming it was obvious that we were going to be OK.

Think that is unfair - I did slag the club off when it was being run by Cortese because his methods were far from fan friendly but I can't remember being too critical of the present set-up. Apart from my little wobble when the players were being sold I have very much supported the board and continue to be impressed.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?49105-The-club-is-no-longer-run-FOR-the-fans#.VDFVDH-9KSM

Not a big fan of the Liebherrs methods either by the looks of it.

I'm sure it was just your opinion at the time though.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?49105-The-club-is-no-longer-run-FOR-the-fans#.VDFVDH-9KSM

Not a big fan of the Liebherrs methods either by the looks of it.

I'm sure it was just your opinion at the time though.

. You have a lot of time on your hands but searching for that post does nothing to prove your point. The club was being run by Cortese then and it seems even Katharina even came around to my way thinking. Never had you down as a smart arise Turkish but maybe I got that wrong too :)

. You have a lot of time on your hands but searching for that post does nothing to prove your point. The club was being run by Cortese then and it seems even Katharina even came around to my way thinking. Never had you down as a smart arise Turkish but maybe I got that wrong too :)

That post was 16th February, Cortese left on the 15th January, so yes it does prove my point.

Edited by Turkish

Can someone explain to me why there was such a Hate Les campaign, what was it he did wrong to make people so angry, I've obviously missed something

several points, I suppose. The " Pochettino desertion " was somewhat unexpected (for most of us) ..as was the sudden exit of the players, and even the £90 million kitty seemed little consolation for those people who outrageously claimed we'd need to spend twice as much to replace them :lol:

Many people panicked ...(nicknamed bed wetters by someone on here) when we didn't have a manager in place by the following week and replacements players signed up, despite the fact there were still had 7/8 weeks to the season start. Les Reed really has the traditional DoF role, and IMHO rightly ....took his time to interview manager candidates before signing RK and plunging into the market and (perhaps spend £50-60 million on players that the new manager wouldn't have /didn't want.) Koeman was also able to buy in his own choices.

As the days and weeks passed .the bedwetters became more and their comments even more vitriolic - if you don't believe that - look back at the first few sides of this thread. :blush:

3 weeks after Koeman's appointment (good decision Les)..... we'd still only signed Tadic and Pelle. More vitriol / hate mail...if you want to see who they were - look back again.

There can be few amongst us who would admit that amongst the 8 new players ...that we made any bad buys.???...(and there's still £30 million in the transfer kitty for eventual January buys).

Those more patient / trusting (fans) have eventually seen their confidence confirmed and thanks to Les' know-how / experience. He may have got a load of stick about his former career moves, and some of us even feel that he deserves a medal for managing to upset Stevie G. (as if he were the Teflon man, not to be touched)....it's football Steve....console yourself in your £100K+ week salary, grin and bear it.

IMO, we should start a " Thank goodness for Les Reed " thread, surely no-one else in the club's personnel could have achieved what he has in the last 3 months.

Edited by david in sweden

That post was 16th February, Cortese left on the 15th January, so yes it does prove my point.

Seeing you wish to stick to your guns (by the way have you ever posted something that with hindsight was not quite nail on head?), I still stand by the main thrust of that post. We remain at the whim of Our owner. At present she seems keen to run the club in a fan friendly way (that was far from being evident when I started that thread) but nothing is guaranteed it will stay that way and, if she has a change of heart, there is bugger all we can do about it. Having now met her and seen what has happened this summer my view has changed. That's good. I go with the flow and I base my opinions not on doctrines, blind faith, or a desire to be the loyalist fan in the world. Nor do I try to be the forum guru smugly never putting a foot wrong. I will leave that to you.

Seeing you wish to stick to your guns (by the way have you ever posted something that with hindsight was not quite nail on head?), I still stand by the main thrust of that post. We remain at the whim of Our owner. At present she seems keen to run the club in a fan friendly way (that was far from being evident when I started that thread) but nothing is guaranteed it will stay that way and, if she has a change of heart, there is bugger all we can do about it. Having now met her and seen what has happened this summer my view has changed. That's good. I go with the flow and I base my opinions not on doctrines, blind faith, or a desire to be the loyalist fan in the world. Nor do I try to be the forum guru smugly never putting a foot wrong. I will leave that to you.

Sorry Duncan - The post that Turkish referred to is way may more than you are suggesting with the above. Nothing wrong with getting it wrong- we all do, but trying to dress it up as something else after the event, doesn't do you any favours.

Having read the telegraph article I just had to go back to see who started this thread. Very rarely do that. Just wanted some clarity on who it was that got this so spectacularly wrong. This will obviously affect said persons credibility on this forum going forward. You can't go so far out on a limb like that with no evidence and expect to have your posts viewed in the same way going forward. Nothing personal, don't know you, but know your posting name and that's enough.

View them the same way I view your opinions

The only people that think it is "pathetic" to revisit old threads are those who are too embarrassed or belligerent to actually admit they got it wrong in the first place. Its the classic Alpine Saint defence of "Its what I believed at the time therefore it was fair comment". No; you just got it wrong. Plenty did, so just hold your hand up and admit it.

Those that expressed doubts are all happy to be proven wrong. I am. During the summer I said I'd give it until the transfer window was closed to make a full decision but I was very doubtful of the board at one point, and whether they had the ability to pull us through. I got that one wrong, I should have had more faith in them. There you go, it's actually very easy to say you were wrong rather than go round the houses and paint a picture to distract from the fact, just because you can't admit you didn't get it right.

Hey I did admit I got it wrong but the holier than you attitude of some p.....s me off. Will never say sorry for starting the thread.

Mods if you want to lock the thread go ahead don't want another infraction (winky smiley thing).

wow.....after all the nonsense posted on here during the summer and the mass hysteria still people claim they said/did nothing wrong. All the bile and hatred at the owners/Les Reed, etc was just fans showing their concern and if they hadn't done it then the Board would not have changed tack.

All absolute bo****s and the mass hysterics deserve to be laughed at - as others have said, why on earth would Koeman have agreed to join if he really felt there was a risk of everything falling apart?

Thankfully the club is made of better calibre people than some of the spineless, self-entitled, jellyfish on this message board.

Well it is all down to character and personality. I am one of those who comes from the "too good to be true" brigade. Probably because I am older than you. My son who is 20 can see no wrong in Saints but I try to keep his feet on the ground, that way the fall when it comes is not so painful. That philosophy might be alien to you and fair enough but it is how I deal with life.....and Saints :)

Not sure if you are much older, if at all, so I won't let you get away with the grumpy old man defence! ;)

I don't get why (although of course you are entitled to your ways) you shouldn't get excited or carried away with football? I'm not convinced it makes you feel worse when things go wrong?? Using your friend Alpine as an example, he expects the worst but even when we achieve far more than he thinks possible he moans, why not enjoy the ride?

I remember, back in league one days, when we had an amazing run, I was posting weekly stats which many enjoyed. You and alpine moaned. I remember you criticising, saying it will come to an end. We have continued on that upward curve...yes it will end, we will have bad times, but I enjoy it more....and its only a hobby! ;)

Why not let your son enjoy it? Let him dream of times you (and probably I) don't think possible, don't believe every negative rumour, keep an open mind, you are allowed to be biased towards saints, its what fans do!

I respect your choice to post on here as yourself, and your interest in the past - although I'm not big on history, but you do seem to relish criticising the club, only to proudly share your meetings (as we all would do,) but you must see the apparent hipocracy?

I'm sure you are decent bloke, think we may have met in the Avenue many years ago? But this isn't about hindsight, its keeping open balanced view and not jumping to conclusions.

Hopefully, you will one day think my view that Les was aiming to improve this season wasn't just hot air ;)

wow.....after all the nonsense posted on here during the summer and the mass hysteria still people claim they said/did nothing wrong. All the bile and hatred at the owners/Les Reed, etc was just fans showing their concern and if they hadn't done it then the Board would not have changed tack.

All absolute bo****s and the mass hysterics deserve to be laughed at - as others have said, why on earth would Koeman have agreed to join if he really felt there was a risk of everything falling apart?

Thankfully the club is made of better calibre people than some of the spineless, self-entitled, jellyfish on this message board.

Hey I can laugh at myself and often do :) Unfortunately some on here cant do that !!

Jellyfish was LOL, but self -entitled (that a real word?) WTF :)

Edited by SarniaSaint

Not sure if you are much older, if at all, so I won't let you get away with the grumpy old man defence! ;)

I don't get why (although of course you are entitled to your ways) you shouldn't get excited or carried away with football? I'm not convinced it makes you feel worse when things go wrong?? Using your friend Alpine as an example, he expects the worst but even when we achieve far more than he thinks possible he moans, why not enjoy the ride?

I remember, back in league one days, when we had an amazing run, I was posting weekly stats which many enjoyed. You and alpine moaned. I remember you criticising, saying it will come to an end. We have continued on that upward curve...yes it will end, we will have bad times, but I enjoy it more....and its only a hobby! ;)

Why not let your son enjoy it? Let him dream of times you (and probably I) don't think possible, don't believe every negative rumour, keep an open mind, you are allowed to be biased towards saints, its what fans do!

I respect your choice to post on here as yourself, and your interest in the past - although I'm not big on history, but you do seem to relish criticising the club, only to proudly share your meetings (as we all would do,) but you must see the apparent hipocracy?

I'm sure you are decent bloke, think we may have met in the Avenue many years ago? But this isn't about hindsight, its keeping open balanced view and not jumping to conclusions.

Hopefully, you will one day think my view that Les was aiming to improve this season wasn't just hot air ;)

I endorse this viewpoint. Being a San Francisco 49er fan in 1981 was an amazing and special experience. Those fans who viewed the whole season with pessimism rather that hope missed a lot of the fun. It doesn't mean that I, or anyone else, expected them to win the Superbowl that season, but it certainly meant that we could enjoy each game as it happened and hope for more next week.

Don't get me wrong when Saints score or win no one jumps higher and no one is happier in the pub than me (which I think makes me different to my big mate Alpine not) but I just don't like getting carried away. Incidentally apart from a wobble on this thread I have been very supportive of this new regime and even more so since they were kind enough to endorse Hagiology and the history. I don't relish attacking the club but I agree I am no shrinking violet when I see things I don't like. I was anti Lowe in his final years and grew to thoroughly dislike Cortese, but I like to think I give people a chance. Incidentally I still drink in the Ave prior to games so next time say hello. I am sure our arguments would be less robust face to face.

Just came across this - apologies if posted elsewhere. I've not had a chance to watch it all the way through.

This video proves that Les Reed is central to the success of the Club and that any doubts that fans had about him during the Summer departures were totally unfounded. Encouraging to hear how meticulous we are in our preparation and basic philosophy and that we have state of the art technology and equipment at our disposal.

I also note that Benedikt Höwedes is a possible future addition, unless I misheard and he said Schalke 04 instead of Schalke's number 4.

Wes, I don't disagree with you but at 25.45 I would question....

What is the vehicle which allows the strategy to be properly implemented? Effective, clear and concise communication.

Now we know that us fans got into a blue funk, because the communication was ineffective, or maybe too concise. Clarity has to be questioned - say something won't happen, and the next day it does. So OK, the communication with the fans isn't so important, but it is clear that the players were also wondering WTF was going on as well.