The Les Reed is a Waste of Space thread

SarniaSaint

It sort of begs the question, who is the biggest tosspot in football? I think mr Lesley Reed is well up there. Mourinho has become a parody of himself and for some reason the smug love in by the golf bores on match of the day gets right up my nose.

Reed is a self satisfied knob stick who has sold us all down the river and has my vote at present even though I am sure we will shortly ship over 4 or 5 more Dutch league players nobody has really heard of and a sort of bewildered calm will descend...... Until the season starts.

Would you have even thought of posting this b**locks when we were third last year after back to back promotions, Premier League survival and playing some of the best football I can remember as a Saints fan? Because that was all on Les Reed's watch too.

Take a deep breath and remember that you are a Saints fan. Not a fourteen year old Man Utd plastic.

Rumors Tumors there something rotten at Saints

and to get rid of a tumor you remove it

The only thing rotten at saints is short sighted impatient fans with similar opinions to yours.

As I've said before, if Les Reed was bad at what he does, Cortese wouldn't have employed him for three years of his tenure.

Les Reed will be viewed as a clown with every sale and a genius for every signing. Neither is true. He's doing a decent job on sales by standing his ground with ridiculous price tags. The incoming are generally coming to work for RK not SFC (which could leave us in the sh** if RK leaves)

The only thing rotten at saints is short sighted impatient fans with similar opinions to yours.

As I've said before, if Les Reed was bad at what he does, Cortese wouldn't have employed him for three years of his tenure.

Is he in fact doing the same thing now though, that is the question. Now I may have a dodgy memory but to me Les Reed has never been particularly involved in first team

affairs, development yes, sports science yes, but Pardew,Adkins and MP all reported directly to NC, Reed had no great power over them.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I'm starting to think so too, Richmond, even though she sent poor old Les Reed out to say the exact f*cking opposite!

Why I even saw the club's historian (whether that's official or unofficial nowadays I couldn't say) beginning to wonder if those who've apparently hinted to him him that the club is being prepared for sale aren't right after all. Who those people might be I've no idea.

It sort of begs the question, who is the biggest tosspot in football? I think mr Lesley Reed is well up there. Mourinho has become a parody of himself and for some reason the smug love in by the golf bores on match of the day gets right up my nose.

Reed is a self satisfied knob stick who has sold us all down the river and has my vote at present even though I am sure we will shortly ship over 4 or 5 more Dutch league players nobody has really heard of and a sort of bewildered calm will descend...... Until the season starts.

That's a ridiculous conclusion. How can you come to a judgment based on a couple of weeks of dealings when the fellow's been here a few years? Wait and see before you get the razors out.

job changed once NC went

Is he in fact doing the same thing now though, that is the question. Now I may have a dodgy memory but to me Les Reed has never been particularly involved in first team

affairs, development yes, sports science yes, but Pardew,Adkins and MP all reported directly to NC, Reed had no great power over them.

This

There are some right divvies on here, Reed is the only board member with a football brain, without him we would be completely screwed.

The Titanic is sinking but I must just congratulate the captain on his knowledge of navigation and marine expertise....

Les Read would apparently not only sell his Granny but all the lifeboats too....

The shortsightedness is literally unbelievable.....

The lies are insulting and the lack of cohesive, structured, skillful management criminal.

The fans have by and large lost all respect for the club owners and management ...

It is evident that most of the first team players have too.

This is a monumental mess and you think that without Les Read we would be screwed ???? He appears to have virtually singlehandedly pi--ed off just about every member of the first team to the extent that they can't wait to leave, lost the manager and youth team coaches but without him we would be screwed! With him however every thing is blinkin dandy !!!!

It's really hard to know where the problem is these days, or even if there is a problem at all.

Is Reed the problem, for coming out and saying he is responsible for football and transfers, for saying there won't be a fire sale, then going on to sell many of our best or most promising players? It wouldn't be as bad if we had equal replacements incoming for each, but as yet we just have two, so I'll hold back a definite judgement for now. Let's not forget he promised all (ALL) funds from sales would be re-invested to build on last years success. He also said we would only sell if it was in our best interest... hard to understand how selling Chambers fits into that.

Is it Kruger, for promising open and transparent communication, before promptly disappearing and not communicating AT ALL in one of the most unsettling periods since our rise from L1? He also allowed MoPo to take us for a ride, knowing he would be leaving but not acting decisively. Is he pulling Les' strings behind the scenes? Or was he just a smiling face to make us all warm and happy inside?

Is it Gareth Rogers, the man who runs the business and will surely be accountable for any and every operating decision, even if it's a rubber-stamping exercise? Is he in full control of the business he's employed to run? Has he been given a direction to follow and is following orders? Is he completely out of his depth and being blindly led by other people?

Is it Katharina, who is ultimately responsible for everything, who is clearly seeing huge income with no sign as yet of reinvesting anything like the same level? Is she asset stripping and looking to sell like some people seem to believe? Is she clearing out bad vibes to rebuild a fresh, unified, non-Cortese team? Is she simply in the background paying little attention to what's going on?

The problem is we don't know, so it's easy to blame Les Reed as he is the one who has made bold statements about our transfer activity which has then been proven incorrect. In the absence of any communication or clarification, or even equal investment in new players, he seems the easy and most likely person to blame.

The Titanic is sinking but I must just congratulate the captain on his knowledge of navigation and marine expertise....

Les Read would apparently not only sell his Granny but all the lifeboats too....

The shortsightedness is literally unbelievable.....

The lies are insulting and the lack of cohesive, structured, skillful management criminal.

The fans have by and large lost all respect for the club owners and management ...

It is evident that most of the first team players have too.

This is a monumental mess and you think that without Les Read we would be screwed ???? He appears to have virtually singlehandedly pi--ed off just about every member of the first team to the extent that they can't wait to leave, lost the manager and youth team coaches but without him we would be screwed! With him however every thing is blinkin dandy !!!!

Thank you for illustrating and confirming my view that there are a bunch of complete divvies on here. Its perfectly clear to anyone with a couple of brain cells that Les is being undermined by the amateur shambles of a board under our current owner. You really think it is Les who is selling all of our players. Mate, if you think that then I feel very sorry for you. All the members of the first team were perfectly happy to be here when Les was here all the time through the Cortese era with either Adkins or even more so with Pochettino. What has ****ed off the players is KL and the hockey coach and the German faceless one who don't know what they are doing and have pulled the plug on the ambitious plans that were in place. Reed is off around the world trying to sign players for us, to replace the ones that are going/have gone, and he is having a tough task persuading people to come to join a club that is clearly now beginning to look like a sinking ship. I think if Reed were to walk ( and I could understand if he did) that might be the straw to break the camel's back for me. While Les is still around there is a chance that despite the Board rolling over and having their tummy tickled by other Clubs that we can at least get something in to give Ron a chance of at least avoiding relegation.

Thank you for illustrating and confirming my view that there are a bunch of complete divvies on here. Its perfectly clear to anyone with a couple of brain cells that Les is being undermined by the amateur shambles of a board under our current owner. You really think it is Les who is selling all of our players. Mate, if you think that then I feel very sorry for you. All the members of the first team were perfectly happy to be here when Les was here all the time through the Cortese era with either Adkins or even more so with Pochettino. What has ****ed off the players is KL and the hockey coach and the German faceless one who don't know what they are doing and have pulled the plug on the ambitious plans that were in place. Reed is off around the world trying to sign players for us, to replace the ones that are going/have gone, and he is having a tough task persuading people to come to join a club that is clearly now beginning to look like a sinking ship. I think if Reed were to walk ( and I could understand if he did) that might be the straw to break the camel's back for me. While Les is still around there is a chance that despite the Board rolling over and having their tummy tickled by other Clubs that we can at least get something in to give Ron a chance of at least avoiding relegation.

A good post, but perhaps not the full picture. I believe what has happened is perfectly in line with the Policies and Strategy of the club - its just been more pronounced because of the number of player departures at one time. This has come about because of the swift rise to the Prem with a large contingent of English players who now are ripe for picking and a good bunch of Academy products itching to get into the first team, coupled with a new Manager wanting to inject his players into the team. It all makes sense, as painful and risky as it may sound. The time to be concerned will be after the Liverpool game if we get hammered and there have been few signings of quality.

Probably Corteses finest decision was bringing les reed to the club. A man of honour and integrity who was happy to stay in the background doing the hardwork whilst cortese took rhr limelight. It was reed who brought us Adkins and Koeman, it is reed who is the driving force behind the academy, it is reed who whilst cortese chased our failed marquee signings such as Osvaldo and Ramirez, was working behind the scenes to bring us the players who did make a difference, Rodriguez, Lovren, Boruc, Clyne, cork, the less heralded but more successful recruits. Now he has been extrapolating incredible fees for players who want away after being lied to by our former CEO. Phase one of his summer project is nearing completion and we will effortlessly glide Into page two, the recruitment of players to replace the departures. Will it be success is still to be seen. However we couldn't ask for a More knowledgeable and experienced man to drive the plan and given his track record of success in-spite of Cortese you wouldn't bet against him now that deadweight had been removed.

Edited by Turkish

Probably Corteses finest decision was bringing les reed to the club. A man of honour and integrity who was happy to stay in the background doing the hardwork whilst cortese took rhr limelight. It was reed who brought us Adkins and Koeman, it is reed who is the driving force behind the academy, it is reed who whilst cortese chased our failed marquee signings such as Osvaldo and Ramirez, was working behind the scenes to bring us the players who did make a difference, Rodriguez, Lovren, Boruc, Clyne, cork, the less heralded but more successful recruits. Now he has been extrapolating incredible fees for players who want away after being lied to by our former CEO. Phase one of his summer project is nearing completion and we will effortlessly glide Into page two, the recruitment of players to replace the departures. Will it be success is still to be seen. However we couldn't ask for. More knowledgeable and experienced man to drive the plan and given his track record of success in-spite of Cortese you wouldn't get against him now that deadweight had been removed.

If only we could have some classical music playing in the background while we had to read that. Pass me another hanky, Les Reed is the Chosen One, may we walk on the ground he has trod on or the managers and players he has done so. I think you need to talk to former employees who had dealings with him before posting such posts. I admire your worship of him Turks but like your headlong rush to worship Krueger I believe you have backed the wrong nag. It is important to me that he is as good as you say as he is pulling the strings. He did not have such power when NC was here, proof of the pudding is in the eating

The majority of people on this thread are absolute morons, can't you see what this kind of clamour does. You don't love the Saints, you certainly don't 'support' them.

The window isn't over, we have made a fortune on players who wanted to leave.

All you are doing is trying to cause more drama because you are like spoilt children who have no control and want it now now now-Everything wrong with modern society. Les Reed has done a lot for us in the last 5 years, he at the moment is our best hope of getting transfers over line and keeping together whats left of team, a team he was involved in identifying and building. You think if he goes we will get someone better in? At the moment he may be the only one with an ear to money man Gareth Rogers and Kat. Take him away and you really think this situation will improve?

A waste of space that has achieved markedly inflated transfer fees for our players?

Provided we make quality replacement signings, I suggest we don't panic just yet.

Given the number of players we need to replace and the fact that usually one in two don't work out meaning we need twice as many we will have to sign 2 to 3 players a week for the rest of the transfer window just to stand still. (Rather unlikely given out of the queues of excellent players ready to join us according to Reed two months ago none have appeared as yet)

Add to that the need for the players to gel as a team with no pre season and the fact we need to reinstall some sort of a spirit and ambition back in the team to get them motivated I would say the chances of success are already low and getting worse on a daily basis.

Also I do not personally believe the money the club is making will be all made available to Koeman and I think he has one hell of a job on his plate and I hope he succeeds despite all the hurdles being placed in his way!

Given the number of players we need to replace and the fact that usually one in two don't work out meaning we need twice as many we will have to sign 2 to 3 players a week for the rest of the transfer window just to stand still. (Rather unlikely given out of the queues of excellent players ready to join us according to Reed two months ago none have appeared as yet)

Add to that the need for the players to gel as a team with no pre season and the fact we need to reinstall some sort of a spirit and ambition back in the team to get them motivated I would say the chances of success are already low and getting worse on a daily basis.

Also I do not personally believe the money the club is making will be all made available to Koeman and I think he has one hell of a job on his plate and I hope he succeeds despite all the hurdles being placed in his way!

Listen to yourself. We need to make two signings for every one we lost? What on earth makes this rule of transfers you have invented a fact. What the hell is wrong with standing still, that would be 8th again? You have no idea what the dressing room mood is like, for all you know Lallana and Lovren are part of an outgoing clique, they certainly seem like idiots now we hear from them. The chances of success? define success for us please, this word gets banded about. I would say making near on 100 million off of 4 players and appointing an internationally renowned manager who has drawn the top scorer from the eredvisie and the statistically top chance creator in the world is a sign of success. How is this window really the disaster everyone claims it is?

I think he was implying that before the departures the squad was thin and so need plenty to come in. Reading positive posts is great, but until I have seen these top signings play in the PL I will stay doubtful. Very few foreign players have come straight into the English game and been great. Far more failures than successes

After the video of Kruguer's disastrous interview, Les Reed did all he could to repair the situation by the interview he gave in which he told fans everything they wanted to hear. The trouble is that much of what he said wasn't true. Whatever else Reed has done in his time here he has to take responsibility for what he said and what he has done since. There is a crisis of confidence caused by allowing player after player to break their contracts, so if that isn't down to Reed, who is responsible?

After the video of Kruguer's disastrous interview, Les Reed did all he could to repair the situation by the interview he gave in which he told fans everything they wanted to hear. The trouble is that much of what he said wasn't true. Whatever else Reed has done in his time here he has to take responsibility for what he said and what he has done since. There is a crisis of confidence caused by allowing player after player to break their contracts, so if that isn't down to Reed, who is responsible?

But hw do you know what he has done and what he hasn't done really. Perhaps he genuinely believes we were not going to sell players or had even received offers. Most of us know nothing whatsoever about how the organigram of the club is structured. Perhaps LR just gets to make the tea and fetch the papers and explain odd things to the press as best he can. Now Hofstadter what does he do, bet he's controlling the purse strings, seems to have been a big of a business big shot.

Edited by Window Cleaner

If only we could have some classical music playing in the background while we had to read that. Pass me another hanky, Les Reed is the Chosen One, may we walk on the ground he has trod on or the managers and players he has done so. I think you need to talk to former employees who had dealings with him before posting such posts. I admire your worship of him Turks but like your headlong rush to worship Krueger I believe you have backed the wrong nag. It is important to me that he is as good as you say as he is pulling the strings. He did not have such power when NC was here, proof of the pudding is in the eating

Exactly Nicholas, he didn't have as much power when NC was here, if he did we wouldn't be lumbered with Osvaldo and Ramirez.

I think he was implying that before the departures the squad was thin and so need plenty to come in. Reading positive posts is great, but until I have seen these top signings play in the PL I will stay doubtful. Very few foreign players have come straight into the English game and been great. Far more failures than successes

Spot on there is remaining doubtful of how foreign players will perform and there is calling for your Director of Football to be sacked.

restless, the minority of the masses are it would seem - patience you must have

LOL!

But yes you're right.... up until 1 Sep. Then the evidence will be there for all to see. Money in from transfers versus money out for replacements. Money pocketed versus money invested. The 1st of September is the official Southampton FC statement of ambition day.

(There will be an indicator to prime us before that though... Schneiderlin's exit).

Is it anyone's fault that players are leaving. Without doubt yes. I know why Adam Lallana went he at least doubled his money. As for the others it doesn't take a genius to work out it is the insane money they are being offered. A footballer lives with the fact that he may get a career ending injury in his next game or training session. A short career so in the hard monetary world they are going to look out for number one and take the money.

The people who decided that they would not pay stupid wages are the one's who are at fault and right they are. The inflated fees we have received for the players more than makes up for losing them. Of course they can be replaced and probably improved on. We now have to do that and cover the injury factor we suffered with last season.

We may well come out of this summer stronger as a squad and wealthier with the transfer and Staplewood debt paid off. The transfer fees plus the TV money and other income will amount to better than £200m. With that we can bring in more good players. Tadic looks a cracking buy and Pelle isn't too shabby either.

Is it anyone's fault that players are leaving. Without doubt yes. I know why Adam Lallana went he at least doubled his money. As for the others it doesn't take a genius to work out it is the insane money they are being offered. A footballer lives with the fact that he may get a career ending injury in his next game or training session. A short career so in the hard monetary world they are going to look out for number one and take the money.

The people who decided that they would not pay stupid wages are the one's who are at fault and right they are. The inflated fees we have received for the players more than makes up for losing them. Of course they can be replaced and probably improved on. We now have to do that and cover the injury factor we suffered with last season.

We may well come out of this summer stronger as a squad and wealthier with the transfer and Staplewood debt paid off. The transfer fees plus the TV money and other income will amount to better than £200m. With that we can bring in more good players. Tadic looks a cracking buy and Pelle isn't too shabby either.

Thankfully there are still voices of sanity here. :adore:

But hw do you know what he has done and what he hasn't done really. Perhaps he genuinely believes we were not going to sell players or had even received offers. Most of us know nothing whatsoever about how the organigram of the club is structured. Perhaps LR just gets to make the tea and fetch the papers and explain odd things to the press as best he can. Now Hofstadter what does he do, bet he's controlling the purse strings, seems to have been a big of a business big shot.

Sorry WC, but you make Les sound almost schizophrenic. Wasn't there a Sci-Fi story of someone who had no control over his hand, which did things he didn't want it to? If it wasn't Les Reed, as Director of Football, who approved the sale of players could it be that his right hand signed the papers against his will? As I said, I don't know what he has done, but if he isn't responsible for shepherding half the team out of the door, who is?

Sorry WC, but you make Les sound almost schizophrenic. Wasn't there a Sci-Fi story of someone who had no control over his hand, which did things he didn't want it to? If it wasn't Les Reed, as Director of Football, who approved the sale of players could it be that his right hand signed the papers against his will? As I said, I don't know what he has done, but if he isn't responsible for shepherding half the team out of the door, who is?

Duplicate post

I'm pretty sure they're different.

I think most understand the greed of Lallana but please do not let him hide behind the career ending injury excuse. He was going to be royally rich if he stayed at SMS, ok not as rich but very rich.

Yes the players went, again under various guises but the club knew and should have had players either in place or ready to sign. Everything looks to be done on the hop, and it will cost the club as desperation or the selling clubs awareness of our need. Purchase the players beforehand and then sell

Maybe they wanted to leave for big money, and told the club to do one. If I hold anyone responsible it's Mopo and Cortese. They jumped ship and the rats are following. I believe that this is simply because Cortese was such an impossible individual to deal with that the players would have feared kicking off about a move knowing the guy wasn't rational and would happily take them to court if they farted in his office. The new board is clearly more level headed and willing to negotiate, the slime balls have taken advantage of this. I personally wish Les/Kreuger/Rogers had taken a more firm stance like Cortese with regard to transfers and do it with Lovren. Lallana had been with us too long the PR about his loyalty was in his favour, Lovren is a merc and now is our chance to look strong and reimpose the rule of the law. The person who feeds with the chequebook should be running the show not those receiving.

I am not really sure what you are getting at

The players concerned do not seem to want to play at st Mary's and when their contract ends they can leave for nothing

so what should Les and Co do

Force them to stay and buy new players when they leave or get loads of money now and buy new players for less who maybe better than the ones being sold.

From an economic point of view the board seem to be do miracles of course if the club is relegated they will have failed but that is unlikely as the new squad will be better than the one that got promoted and will have a much more experienced manager.

I think the team will perform quite well in the next few months

I am not really sure what you are getting at

The players concerned do not seem to want to play at st Mary's and when their contract ends they can leave for nothing

so what should Les and Co do

Force them to stay and buy new players when they leave or get loads of money now and buy new players for less who maybe better than the ones being sold.

From an economic point of view the board seem to be do miracles of course if the club is relegated they will have failed but that is unlikely as the new squad will be better than the one that got promoted and will have a much more experienced manager.

I think the team will perform quite well in the next few months

Because of the amount of money we are making, we have the chance to do what has taken Everton 10 years to do in a much shorter time. Generate enough financial turnover while increasing club prestige to purchase prospects in Europe looking for step onto higher level of prem ladder. Everton couldn't get the financial clout to speed this consolidation period up. Our big money youth transfers are giving us an edge that others in our position have never had before. This is why they are all getting so worried. If they can't kill us this season, we will be knocking on the palace doors, and this scares the **** out of those who want it to be a closed shop.

Trouble is we have let too many go at one time. Players who may have been attracted because of the strength of our squad etc. are going to think twice about joining especially with all the press exaggerating the meltdown, crisis tags. I for one wouldn't blame a player for changing their mind.

Would you have even thought of posting this b**locks when we were third last year after back to back promotions, Premier League survival and playing some of the best football I can remember as a Saints fan? Because that was all on Les Reed's watch too.

Take a deep breath and remember that you are a Saints fan. Not a fourteen year old Man Utd plastic.

And how much of the last three years do you attribute to Les Reed? He has been a pretty peripheral figure until now as Cortese has run the show. Cortese himself was in turn lucky to have three very good mangers on the trot and a talented bunch of young and improving players. Reed has filled a void and his time is now. Not pretty is it?

And how much of the last three years do you attribute to Les Reed? He has been a pretty peripheral figure until now as Cortese has run the show. Cortese himself was in turn lucky to have three very good mangers on the trot and a talented bunch of young and improving players. Reed has filled a void and his time is now. Not pretty is it?

So you don't think Les Reed in his role as effectively director of football contributed at all this? What was cortese paying him for then?

So, Cortese is responsible for all the good stuff and Les Reed is at fault for all the bad stuff?

Why did Cortese employ him then? Having met the former CEO on many occasions I get the impression that he would have sacked Les on the spot if he thought he was not doing a good job. Do you think Cortese found 'three very good managers' all on his own?

So you don't think Les Reed in his role as effectively director of football contributed at all this? What was cortese paying him for then?

Your wasting your time. Les reed is the new whipping boy don't you know. After all someone has to be blamed fir the players leaving. Not getting in replacements etc etc etc.

I think everyone is a tad harsh on Les, we are only half way through the transfer window and yes we have and may sell further some of our leading players to either champions league or Man U which to be perfectly honest is acceptable for a large fee as we are not that big.

However the papers have an agenda to sell news and more importantly the news that gets clicks or papers sold is linking players to the big clubs so we only hear about so and so going to this club or that.

No journo is going to really splash "SAINTS linked to" on the back page, they don't get bang for their buck so we hear f.uck all about the potential in's and therefore only hear or want to hear half of the story, the negative which equals abuse of the board etc etc.

I think at the end of the transfer window (1st Sept) we will have equally as good and in certain positions better players than the end of last season (again they will be new but I expect their end of season report cards to reflect this) with increased depth in the squad as well.

The challenge is turning them into an effective team and not do a sunderland (but I think was more to do with the ketchup ban).

The team is greater than the cult of the individual.

Anyone remember that first Reed video where he said there were no offers and he was suprised how few enquiries we had received about our players?

Reckon he is suprised now?

Wonder if he has also realised that the clubs were just dealing direct with our players, and in the case of Utd and Liverpool, telling the media about the deals before they even told Saints?

Hard to pin any blame on him for plauers wanting to persue better opportunities but there is a huge feeling that the club have been very naive and reactive this summer.

Anyone remember that first Reed video where he said there were n offers and he was suprised how few enquiries we had received about our players?

Wonder if he has realised that the clubs were just dealing direct with our players, and in the case of Utd and Liverpool, telling the media about the deals before they even told Saints?

Of course he knew the score, he isn't thick. It was clearly a pr piece to appease and dupe the fans as long as possible.

I have not bothered to look at the forum for the last couple of days as new there would be wrongly placed anger with insults directed at members of the board

Having briefly read one of guans post in the last 30minutes . I'm not wrong with my assessment

I remain optomistic about the future.

And will see if there are positive announcements tomorrow I do not like all thus negativity . There are far more important things to worry about in this worked than some bloody prostitute of a footballer looking for obscene weekly salaries