The Les Reed is a Waste of Space thread

SarniaSaint

Not saying the story is true or not however it is quite normal for team / club Captains to represent the players when season bonuses are being negotiated (ones that aren't in individual contracts).
I know historically Captains did have some involvement in such negotiations, but what percentage of their multi million £ wages are left to a negotiation between Lallana and Les Reed? Just can't see it.

apparently MP and his family love/loved the area and that was very important to him

Sounds like a great venue for Saints supporters on Bonfire Night along with Lallana's place if he hasn't sold up by then :)

If we'd sacked him then he would have received compensation instead of us getting some from Spuds. That's a few million £ of difference!

Still, a small amount of money compared to the long-term benefit such a strong decision could have done for the club. They were probably just looking after the bottom-line in a short-termist way, which appears to be the current way of doing things at Saints.

MP was very keen on staying and planned as such.

he even started a new rent on a large property in the area not long before he decided to leave.

he had zero communication with Ralf and Kat about their intentions for this season.

all he had was les reed going on about how comfortable he was about it all.

when it became clear he was off, the board tried to persuade him to stay with a very large contract offer (all but matches his salary at spurs)

but the rot had stepped in and he did not like the new direction that literally everyone is up for sale.

that is pretty much what happened

There is more, Lallana (at the request of the players) approached the board numerous times regarding player bonuses and contract promises etc. He (and the squad) was met with silence. This was on more than a few occasions, hence the talk from morgan and co demanded the club show their ambition. That was not for CL but to consolidate and their plans for the next season and beyond.

The squad was prepared for Luke to go, for huge money, They wanted assurances that that cash would be used to strengthen the rest of the squad and player contract issues sort and their bonuses paid.

again, no idea if the above is true. From my ITK source at the club

oh, 1 in this week at least with loads of spin about how we are on it, bringing players in to build the squad for the future

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting it. And more likely the truth with events over the last couple of weeks. It certainly seems the Board as pretty weak and leadership is in frighteningly short supply around the table. Worse is that nothing obvious seems to be happening to correct the situation. Feel sorry for RK and his band of merry men - what have they come into!

I will still call MP, Lallana, et al all the ***** under the sun this coming season though!

Les Reed is no Director of Football. Just f*ck him off out of it and let Ronald and Erwin identify players and the CEO negotiate contracts.

If anyone wants to leave, they would have to front it out with Ronald, rather than the pathetic excuse for a man that Reed is.

I appreciate this is a forum and people have varying opinions

But as a long standing saints fan , I have never been so disgusted at some the ultra negative comments and abuse aimed members of Southampton FC whether this thread or others

Well done you fellow saints fans .i know it's frustrating players leaving but in the last few days I feel the forum has his an all time low .

not a lot to be positive about, if RL had still been chairman there would have been an outcry.

many people, imo, are saying be patient out of respect to Marcus

a couple of bad results in the first 10 games , the majority of which are winnable, and the sh*t will hit the fan

MP was very keen on staying and planned as such.

he even started a new rent on a large property in the area not long before he decided to leave.

he had zero communication with Ralf and Kat about their intentions for this season.

all he had was les reed going on about how comfortable he was about it all.

when it became clear he was off, the board tried to persuade him to stay with a very large contract offer (all but matches his salary at spurs)

but the rot had stepped in and he did not like the new direction that literally everyone is up for sale.

that is pretty much what happened

There is more, Lallana (at the request of the players) approached the board numerous times regarding player bonuses and contract promises etc. He (and the squad) was met with silence. This was on more than a few occasions, hence the talk from morgan and co demanded the club show their ambition. That was not for CL but to consolidate and their plans for the next season and beyond.

The squad was prepared for Luke to go, for huge money, They wanted assurances that that cash would be used to strengthen the rest of the squad and player contract issues sort and their bonuses paid.

again, no idea if the above is true. From my ITK source at the club

oh, 1 in this week at least with loads of spin about how we are on it, bringing players in to build the squad for the future

I must admit this fits in with quite a lot of what I have been told. I know only a few months ago MoPo and his team intended to stay, one of his assistants family were making plans to attend uni here etc etc. I don't think anyone at SFC understands how a club is run in football terms and after losing confidence the players want out. I think the blame must lie with the Board and the person in charge.

In fairness to Les Greed, if his task was to flog lots of season tickets on the premise that we would hold onto most of our players and then sell most of them thereafter for hefty fees then he has done a good job. He may hit a wall of mistrust now though from supporters.

In fairness to Les Greed, if his task was to flog lots of season tickets on the premise that we would hold onto most of our players and then sell most of them thereafter for hefty fees then he has done a good job. He may hit a wall of mistrust now though from supporters.

Maybe the target he is trying to get over the line is sales income over the £120million mark.

I must admit this fits in with quite a lot of what I have been told. I know only a few months ago MoPo and his team intended to stay, one of his assistants family were making plans to attend uni here etc etc. I don't think anyone at SFC understands how a club is run in football terms and after losing confidence the players want out. I think the blame must lie with the Board and the person in charge.
Duncan, Im not having a pop. I believe if NC had been left to run the club we would have far more stability now. Iam not saying all the players would have stayed but i do think that MP and some of the more important stars would have still been here. Do you think the same? I am not out to trip you up but genuinely am interested.

Did you take this up with Ralph when you met up with him?

I hope he just hits a wall. Hard.

I'll have more for u later if I get the chance Batters....

Don't take any notice Batman. He sent me a similar message 4 years back when I spilt the beans to him in return for an exclusive. I've never heard a thing from Ben since.

Hey! Any of you remember the furore when Adkins got sacked? A certain MP had already been interviewed by NC BEFORE Nigel was told SNLR and now you believe MP wasn't/isn't a treacherous bar steward. Pull the other one it's got bells on!

PS. I love Southampton and wanted to stay but Mammon came a calling and I had no choice but to repeat my treachery.

Spoke to a SSN reporter on Friday who used to work closely at Saints (before he was banned) for quite ridiculous reasons really. He doesn't have an agenda, except not being a fan of Jordan Sibley and the media team. He did say that Les Reed is very unpopular and doesn't communicate with the players. "One of the most unpopular people in football" was his exact words. I'm not ITK, just passing on.

That fits in perfectly with what Steven Gerrard said about him in his autobiography...

In his autobiography, Gerrard: My Autobiography, Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard said that he had "no respect" for Les Reed after the way he treated him during England's Euro 2000 campaign. Gerard wrote, "To this day, I have no respect for Reed or (fellow coach) Derek Fazackerley. I was a young lad who had never been away from home to play football before. They didn't seem to understand that not everyone can board a plane, settle in a strange hotel far from the family they love, and find it easy. In fact they made me feel like ****. My homesickness worsened whenever I was forced to be in their company. I felt they could have shown more care and sympathy. They were always pushing me, always telling me to buck up my ideas."

Makes the mind boggle!

Wow, you've changed your tune. What happened to your bromance with Ralphie ??

According to my dad, (who I normally have to correct when he tells me anything saints related) on SSN it flashed up in yellow along the bottom 'Les Reed has said the sqaud will be strengthened/for fans to remain calm' or something like that.

Anyone see that?

katharina liebherr

:lol:

My bets more on Shaw tbh, pretty sure he followed that page and even replied to it at times. Wouldn't also surprise me for him to dig himself a hole. If it is real the owner of that page should sell it and get a fair bit of dosh for an exclusive to a tabloid!

Get real guys, if the Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea come in for one of our players there's no way you're gonna stop this. We have to face up to the fact they are still much bigger clubs than us. Players know this is a promotion. There is nothing the board, Les Reed or Ralf K could have done to stop this. Al you can do is try and get the best price, and that we have certainly done.

The fact that these top clubs are now interested in so many of our players only shows we're on the right track. Do you guys honoustly think Les Reed was influentual in the descision for Man U or Liverpool to invest the amount they have in our players?

Once teams like Newcastle, Villa or even Spurs and Everton come in for our players it will be a real test to see how far this club has come.

This takes nothing away from the fact it's heartbraking to see so many club icons leave.

:lol:

My bets more on Shaw tbh, pretty sure he followed that page and even replied to it at times. Wouldn't also surprise me for him to dig himself a hole. If it is real the owner of that page should sell it and get a fair bit of dosh for an exclusive to a tabloid!

Cant be. Not enough spelling mistakes.

Get real guys, if the Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea come in for one of our players there's no way you're gonna stop this. We have to face up to the fact they are still much bigger clubs than us. Players know this is a promotion. There is nothing the board, Les Reed or Ralf K could have done to stop this. Al you can do is try and get the best price, and that we have certainly done.

The fact that these top clubs are now interested in so many of our players only shows we're on the right track. Do you guys honoustly think Les Reed was influentual in the descision for Man U or Liverpool to invest the amount they have in our players?

Once teams like Newcastle, Villa or even Spurs and Everton come in for our players it will be a real test to see how far this club has come.

This takes nothing away from the fact it's heartbraking to see so many club icons leave.

the players that left were on contracts and so we could have kept them.

if we had resolve to stand up to them we could ourselves have given them an ultimatum. Play and train hard or you will be put in the reserves. No appearance money, the likely loss of international places and out of the media spotlight.

It may have taken a few weeks for their agents to lose their nerve as they see their commission being reduced, at the same time those agents would be barred from easy contact to our youth system and new players and others less problem encouraged to be involved

I hear the unsettled squad etc but how do you think they are now with everybody leaving ? The squad morale must be pretty flat

not a lot to be positive about, if RL had still been chairman there would have been an outcry.

many people, imo, are saying be patient out of respect to Marcus

a couple of bad results in the first 10 games , the majority of which are winnable, and the sh*t will hit the fan

A "couple" of bad results ???

Who said Humour had died !!!!!

IMHO, If we get a couple of Wins in the first ten games, I'll be amazed

A "couple" of bad results ???

Who said Humour had died !!!!!

IMHO, If we get a couple of Wins in the first ten games, I'll be amazed

so will I but I,and I know it is strange, still believe the old song back in 66

"were yet to win the FA Cup or win the league but you will see we will win them both one day"

Seen the FA Cup won, so just one to go

Reed has clearly been given a remit by KL to get the best deals for the squad. Wouldn't surprise me if he's made the scapegoat when the board meet this week though.

What for not selling players quickly enough for superior sums you mean. Could be, I mean I'm sure we could have got another 50p here and there, done it more quickly as well, save a couple of bob on salaries. Still fine line, needed to wait until after the WC so that our player participation hand outs wouldn't be diluted too much. That should bring us about 500K I think.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Sums up how I feel Viking. Off to Kefalonia for a week in a couple of days. No interweb will be connected with, no Redtop's purchased at an extortionate price. Cold beers, pitta giros and blissful ignorance. Aàaàhhhhh!

Well that's a fail then. Currently over Western Italian coast on a plane with free WiFi. Just can't help myself?

BTW Norwegian.com is a cracking airline.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that Ralph is bigging up Les. Also interesting to hear what goes on behind the scenes. In the news embargo when the don was aroound it seems that our Les talked Luke out of leaving the club two years ago. Clearly the Don had every confidence in him (and Cortese would have got a lot of grief if one of the promising academy players had left so soon) as does the current Board. However we need someone to blame for what has happened this summer of the blame has been swinging btween Les, Ralph and Kat. Could it be that they will all come out of this transfer window smelling of roses? Who do we blame then? :?

• 1 month later...
Come on then who's man enough.....

Probably Corteses finest decision was bringing les reed to the club. A man of honour and integrity who was happy to stay in the background doing the hardwork whilst cortese took rhr limelight. It was reed who brought us Adkins and Koeman, it is reed who is the driving force behind the academy, it is reed who whilst cortese chased our failed marquee signings such as Osvaldo and Ramirez, was working behind the scenes to bring us the players who did make a difference, Rodriguez, Lovren, Boruc, Clyne, cork, the less heralded but more successful recruits. Now he has been extrapolating incredible fees for players who want away after being lied to by our former CEO. Phase one of his summer project is nearing completion and we will effortlessly glide Into page two, the recruitment of players to replace the departures. Will it be success is still to be seen. However we couldn't ask for a More knowledgeable and experienced man to drive the plan and given his track record of success in-spite of Cortese you wouldn't bet against him now that deadweight had been removed.

:D bang on the money as usual

Les was always the one we had to put our trust in, I'm baffled as to why so many were intent on turning on him.

The one link to our rise after NC left, quite clearly had a big say in our 5 year rise, yet people were so quick to blame him for everything.

Les was always the one we had to put our trust in, I'm baffled as to why so many were intent on turning on him.

The one link to our rise after NC left, quite clearly had a big say in our 5 year rise, yet people were so quick to blame him for everything.

Yup. Like has been said before, he clearly knows is stuff otherwise Cortese would've booted him out long ago.

He was the only one on the board with any football knowledge so I'm glad we've got him.

The only slight question mark for me is the Cork/J-Rod & maybe Clyne contract scenarios.