CB Watch 2014

alpine_saint

aren't we just waiting for Celtic to go out of the champions league and then we can go back and try to sign Van Dijk?

Potentially yes but don't let that individual circumstance stop those that want to from shaking their pitchforks at the board...

I think we're light at CB & up front.

I think with Jose & Yoshida we have players who will be adequate against the likes of Leicester\Burnley\West Brom but when it comes to the bigger teams are at risk of falling to pieces.

Yoshida struggles with intelligent strikers but can handle physical players much better, if we play a high line and the opposition doesn’t have any genuine pace then we’ll be alright. When teams look to play in behind Yoshida looks terrible, that’s when we’ll get caught out. He backs off and hates players running at him, he back tracks and defends on the back foot.

Jose plays on the front foot a little better, which is why he suited a partnership with Lovern who also plays on the front foot. He does suffer a bit from the old “lazy leg” defending where he just sticks out a leg and hopes. He’s a much better ball player than Yoshida and offers something going forward. However his composure is always in question when under pressure which is why Loverns leadership was so instrumental in our clean sheets last year.

Neither Jose nor Yoshida are particularly convincing in the air & neither are what you’d call a “commanding” centre back. A leader is essential.

I think out of all the center backs listed Vlarr is the best option, he has the physical presence & the experience. He is also commanding and leads the line very well, he lacks pace but (having been a centre back for 14 years) I don’t think it’s a top requirement if you’re able to adjust how deep you play. Defending against pace is only an issue when players have space to run into.

If we want to take points off the top 6 this season then we need a better quality CB.

Potentially yes but don't let that individual circumstance stop those that want to from shaking their pitchforks at the board...

strikes me that the Taider/Osvaldo deal will go through once the two parties have agreed on who pays who's wages and the two Celtic lads will be relatively hot on his heals if they go out of the CL.

It's not a case of just getting in a centre back. Yoshida is the only one who can play left and right. Jos is only left sided. Fonte has been tried in the past on the left side and looked lost at a lower level he can only play on the right. Therefore any centre back signed must either be comfortable on either side or left sided to play alongside Fonte. If a right sided CB is brought in then Yoshida or Jos would have to partner him.

It's not a case of just getting in a centre back. Yoshida is the only one who can play left and right. Jos is only left sided. Fonte has been tried in the past on the left side and looked lost at a lower level he can only play on the right. Therefore any centre back signed must either be comfortable on either side or left sided to play alongside Fonte. If a right sided CB is brought in then Yoshida or Jos would have to partner him.

what if we go to three at the back? Only kidding.

strikes me that the Taider/Osvaldo deal will go through once the two parties have agreed on who pays who's wages and the two Celtic lads will be relatively hot on his heals if they go out of the CL.

That's about 45 minutes from happening.

So, the Liverpool game is looking increasingly like a busted flush.

But I reckon we need to have a new CB in place this week for the slightest hope of being prepared/part-gelled for the easier games that follow it.

We dont get a CB in this week, we are playing catch-up after 3 or 4 games, I reckon... :(

Dan Seaborne is set to sign for Partick Thistle. Shame for him, since the head injury has career has been set back a lot.

Bloody 'ell, that's my team, mind you the standard (having watched it many times!) is probably about his level so good luck to him !!

Could Jack Cork or Big Vic drop back into CB or even play just in front of a back 3, sweeping between defence and midfield?

Big Vic certainly has played CB for Celtic, and Cork I remember being very good there in his first loan with us many years ago!

I think we could line up like this when we attack. Wanyama dropping in to form a 3 at the back guard which gives the 2 CM's a little freedom to support the attack a bit more.

BumBvWaIAAAUvyN.jpg

Then, without the ball, we could line up like this. The full backs tuck in and the 2 CM's press and intercept in the middle with Wanyama in behind.

BumDElrIAAAFJNf.jpg

Obviously, the personnel may change.

I think we could line up like this when we attack. Wanyama dropping in to form a 3 at the back guard which gives the 2 CM's a little freedom to support the attack a bit more.

BumBvWaIAAAUvyN.jpg

Then, without the ball, we could line up like this. The full backs tuck in and the 2 CM's press and intercept in the middle with Wanyama in behind.

BumDElrIAAAFJNf.jpg

Obviously, the personnel may change.

Like it but would put Tadic left and Ramirez for Isgrove right. Schneiderlin swap with Taider. Yoshida will start at Anfield.

Ramirez. He and Tadic can swap wings occasionally.

Well yeah. I don't really like Ramirez out wide though, he almost always loses the ball when he cuts inside using that "trying to cut the ball across my body when there's no more room" move (as he did on Saturday).

Like it but would put Tadic left and Ramirez for Isgrove right. Schneiderlin swap with Taider. Yoshida will start at Anfield.

Tadic and clyne are looking good together, I'd keep that but like we did on Saturday I would alternate with Ramirez every now and then. Taider in for Morgan as he's never going to play for us again and Ramirez on the left and that looks decent. Obviously new CB has to play because Yoshida isn't top quality.

Back on the CB watch - which personally i think is a useful thread to discuss this like adults - mentioned on the transfer rumours thread but Natastic? 21, young, good potential but again not fufilled at City. Might be beyond our reach but a loan is possible?

However, browsing the MCFC forums about him, apparently he isn't being given a squad number this year. Because he is classed as U21 he can leave on a free (?) feel free to correct as I have no idea if its true tbh...

Anyways, Natastic purleease! :poundit:

Is he fit or not ?

Regardless, we need another one. He is unproven, I dont trust Fonte for a whole season, and having to play Jos or Yoshi doesnt bear thinking about.

Agree 100% just hope the board share the same opinion (I would be stunned if they don't) but we are most likely going to have to pay a Shane Long type fee again to get one closer to deadline day