Francis Benali's Big Run

Norm

Agree this amount he raised does not do him justice. We need to spread the word. I like the idea of peppering SSN too.

Anyone fancy posting something on forums of the other 19 PL teams?

He's raising about £3,000 per day - thats really impressive, especially since he's not a nationally known figure. Perhaps the 'issue' is that the target was over ambitious rather than the achievement being low.

Just done my golf day at East Horton whereby we usually raise money for the Piam Brown ward in Southampton. A bunch of hairy arsed plumbers playing rubbish but putting their hands in their pocket. Anyway, I have donated personally to Franny's cause, but after seeing the YouTube video tonight, I am going ask all those who came today, mostly Saints fans whether they would object if I switched the cause to his fundraising, because what he is doing deserves more. Clearly the Piam Brown ward is more than a worthwhile cause but what this great man is doing is not being supported enough.

hopefully I can get the nod to send £1275 your way Franny.

Franny may not have been one of the most gifted players but he always gave more than 100% and was one of our most loyal players ( take note Adam and co ) he and his family are real decency people . I and other fans enjoyed Franny and Karens company,

Franny I know your dedication and you will complete your challenge . I hope you reach your 1 million target

Awesome stuff Franny

Why is this not a sticky and why does it not have more posts? A true club legend, fundraising for a cause that nearly everyone on this forum would have been affected by in one way or another...

Everyone should get behind the man and give him all the support we can (even if it's only 50p)

This.

Well done to everyone who has posted or donated. Grew up watching this guy give his all for Saints every game, he left nothing out on the pitch. A true Saint and legend. A bit sad to see the lack of posts here, seems some are more interested in threads about balti pies. Come on guys!!, this man is putting himself through hell, let's support him.

Was hoping that one disappeared with Cortese (don't think Franny would appreciate sharing a song with the Don).

Actually think the irony of using Cortese's song for Franny would not be lost on him. With some amended words and extended middle section

Benali, whoooooaa, Benali

He runs for charity

He makes a mean curry

He's mates with MLT

His daughter is Kenzie

He ****ing hates Pompey

As well as Cortese

Benali, whoooooa, Benali

It is scheduled for half time. Everyone should be on their feet.

not sure how his schedule works, but think half time isn't the best choice. Would have thought 1:00 or 2:00 at the Common/Cowherds and then Have a run in to town with people watching or joining in would have been better.

Just done my golf day at East Horton whereby we usually raise money for the Piam Brown ward in Southampton. A bunch of hairy arsed plumbers playing rubbish but putting their hands in their pocket. Anyway, I have donated personally to Franny's cause, but after seeing the YouTube video tonight, I am going ask all those who came today, mostly Saints fans whether they would object if I switched the cause to his fundraising, because what he is doing deserves more. Clearly the Piam Brown ward is more than a worthwhile cause but what this great man is doing is not being supported enough.

hopefully I can get the nod to send £1275 your way Franny.

Well done to you and all involved!

Whilst it's an honourable thing to do, the idea of footballers asking for money for charity irks me somewhat. Like with the Billy Sharp thing, they're all earning tens of thousands of pounds a week, as are their colleagues yet ask the general public for money. I just think well how about f#ck off, if you and your team mates donate a decent chunk of your wages to it, especially considering they have enormous amount of spare money compared to an average joe, maybe I'll donate as well.

That said, well done Franny lol.

Whilst it's an honourable thing to do, the idea of footballers asking for money for charity irks me somewhat. Like with the Billy Sharp thing, they're all earning tens of thousands of pounds a week, as are their colleagues yet ask the general public for money. I just think well how about f#ck off, if you and your team mates donate a decent chunk of your wages to it, especially considering they have enormous amount of spare money compared to an average joe, maybe I'll donate as well.

Yea but I don't think Franny ever fitted into the mega bucks wages bracket. The guy is a modest man doing his bit when he could sit back on his couch and do nothing

Yea but I don't think Franny ever fitted into the mega bucks wages bracket. The guy is a modest man doing his bit when he could sit back on his couch and do nothing

Of course, but then he's probably bored out of his mind as most people don't retire in their mid 30's. It was more that I just expected him to still at least have some contact with the current first team and the football world so got annoyed by the clear lack of donations from anyone in those circles. It seems he'd be much better off having a whip around among them.

Like I say though, well done to him, it's a hell of an achievement.

Of course, but then he's probably bored out of his mind as most people don't retire in their mid 30's. It was more that I just expected him to still at least have some contact with the current first team and the football world so got annoyed by the clear lack of donations from anyone in those circles. It seems he'd be much better off having a whip around among them.

Like I say though, well done to him, it's a hell of an achievement.

Not intending to make this thread into the usual insult forum , but wtf are you on about?

franny for one never earned anywhere near the kind of money that the players do today.

what makes you think that he has any contact with the current players at the club?

So people shouldn't try and make a difference because they expect that the people with more money will all just stump up anyway? Yeah, that works.

anyway, congratulations on collecting the obligatory 1st prize if WUMMING up this thread.

Why hasn't there been more national media attention? I've seen various local new reports but little national. Yes I know FB isn't the best of known ex.Premier League players but I would have thought the football media would have got behind him.

COYFB

I guess that you have to be really honest with yourself, if this was an ex Hull legend like Dean Windass, would we really be that interested, let's be honest, probably not. Those outside of Saints' have probably not even heard of Francis Benali.

So it's so much more important that those who do know who he is, those who stood in The Dell and moaned at his poor distribution but marvelled at the way he marked Ian Wright out of so many games (playing at CB as well sometimes) , and finally realised that this bloke thought as much about the club as we did, get right behind him and support him as one of our own.

Congratulations Pastor. You've sunk to a new low with this comment. Have you ever thought that maybe Billy Sharp, given what he's been through has probably donated his own cash? To be honest, I'd rather be me, with my meagre earnings than be an average earning footballer whose child died at just two days old. Get some perspective in your life Pastor FFS.

Just donated. I think his advertisers need to promote the quick text donation though. The only place I've seen the bit below is here (I'm sure it's elsewhere but I just haven't noticed it)

Please Text "BIGR55 £3" to 70070 to donate £3 or replace £3 with amount you wish to donate or you can visit the website http://www.benalisbigrun.co.uk to make a just giving donation.

Just saying, if I was an ex footballer running the length of the country I could raise more then 50k. Clearly something has gone wrong in his fundraising process as he wanted raise a milli.

Without wanting to be overly critical of good intentions I agree that this is a fair point.

Just donated. I think his advertisers need to promote the quick text donation though. The only place I've seen the bit below is here (I'm sure it's elsewhere but I just haven't noticed it)

Please Text "BIGR55 £3" to 70070 to donate £3 or replace £3 with amount you wish to donate or you can visit the website www.benalisbigrun.co.uk to make a just giving donation.

i would thought. MLT would have been able to get him some publicity on Skysports

Just saying, if I was an ex footballer running the length of the country I could raise more then 50k. Clearly something has gone wrong in his fundraising process as he wanted raise a milli.

kanye-shrug.jpg

BUt then you miss one of the mainpoints of what he is doing. Yes the fund raising is important and benefits the excellent charities that help with the research, but it is also about raising awareness.Getting 2 or 3 pro footballers to donate a few £ks may help the former but does nothing for the latter. Anyway, Robbie Fowler is following and tweeting about Franny's big run, Dean Hammond helped out as well, and of course MLT, so he does have contacts. Think you will find the donations will increase when the run gets near or past the end. The £1 million target was probably not meant to be realistic. My daughter is currently fund raising for the Crohn's and Colitis UK charity (doing the Bournemouth Half) and using the Just Giving site, she had to enter a target when she started and had no idea what to put, being a bit conservative she put £150 and got that with the first 3 donations, and most of the family have not donated yet, but we will of course.

Is there a map of his route anywhere?

A little frustrating actually. Apparently tomorrow he is running to Swindon, but cannot find the route he is taking from Newport (where he is now) to Swindon where he will be tomorrow. If I knew where and when I would go along and cheer him on being as I work in Swindon.

You can see the live view of where is here http://www.jellyfishlivewire.co.uk/benalis-big-run/map

I would suggest you could make an educated guess a few hours before and track him down with the live view to run with him or lend support.

We will be able to post more video updates later today.

Yes, he's heading into Sherston now, looks like he is going along the Malmesbury to Swindon road later, will try to get there to give him some support.

A little frustrating actually. Apparently tomorrow he is running to Swindon, but cannot find the route he is taking from Newport (where he is now) to Swindon where he will be tomorrow. If I knew where and when I would go along and cheer him on being as I work in Swindon.

Given that pedestrians can only go over the Severn Bridge and not the Second Severn Crossing, I'd be guessing he's going to be heading down the A48 to Chepstow, then over the Bridge to Aust, and... somewhere north of Bristolish (possibly through Yate and the like) to Swindon.

If they've changed the pedestrian rules on the "old" Bridge, poor sod will have to go via Gloucester (probably via Lydney, which is a sod of a hill) and then there's a dual carriageway A road from Gloucester to Swindon.

You can see the live view of where is here http://www.jellyfishlivewire.co.uk/benalis-big-run/map

I would suggest you could make an educated guess a few hours before and track him down with the live view to run with him or lend support.

We will be able to post more video updates later today.

Yes, he's heading into Sherston now, looks like he is going along the Malmesbury to Swindon road later, will try to get there to give him some support.

Given that pedestrians can only go over the Severn Bridge and not the Second Severn Crossing, I'd be guessing he's going to be heading down the A48 to Chepstow, then over the Bridge to Aust, and... somewhere north of Bristolish (possibly through Yate and the like) to Swindon.

If they've changed the pedestrian rules on the "old" Bridge, poor sod will have to go via Gloucester (probably via Lydney, which is a sod of a hill) and then there's a dual carriageway A road from Gloucester to Swindon.

If he's in Sherston he'd have taken the old Severn Bridge, that's "somewhere north of Bristolish".