Francis Benali's Big Run

Norm

It would be nice to see PL football players digging into their pockets, and maybe the clubs as well.

20 PL clubs @ a mere £1k each = £20k

say 20 squad players per club @ a mere £1k each = £400k

Would love, love it if Saints and NUFC presented him with a big **** off cheque

He's not going to try to score another goal is he? :o

I'll be there...I saw the other one.

"I was there when Franny scored, I was there when Franny scored"

Would hope to hear that and "Benali, Benali" ringing round the stadium tomorrow, this man needs to be carried to the finish with a wall of noise from the fans, the least we can do after his outstanding efforts.

If you haven't had the opportunity to donate yet, go prepared to drop something in the collection buckets tomorrow.

It may be a good idea for the PA announcer to let fans know when Franny's about 5-10 mins from appearing on the pitch to give everyone the chance to sup up and get themselves out pitchside.

Finally Matt told me that it will be well worth seeing Franny coming into St Mary's, don't miss it for your half time beer, donate the 4 quid instead and see something special , can't say anymore.

I hope many people do just that. The man deserves a guard of honour onto the pitch for this.

Frannie would have made twice as much burning down a cancer hospice judging by the Manchester Dogs home fundraising which hit £200k in one night. Sad that people are only motivated to give by immediate tragedy.

Herculian effort by Frannie, I hope his funds get an amazing final push.

Frannie would have made twice as much burning down a cancer hospice judging by the Manchester Dogs home fundraising which hit £200k in one night. Sad that people are only motivated to give by immediate tragedy.

Couldn't help thinking the same when I saw that on the news this morning. This man is running nearly TWO marathons a day, day-after-day, for Cancer Research. TV should be falling over themselves to try and get Franny's donations over that £1m.

How sad. Also can't help feel the timing was off with the ice bucket BS going on as well.

If every EPL player donated 10k - he'd be well over target.

tight bastards

I get your sentiment

but if they donated £10k to every charity going on with football (i suspect there are hundreds)

the charities would be loaded and the players would be on benefits

I get your sentiment

but if they donated £10k to every charity going on with football (i suspect there are hundreds)

the charities would be loaded and the players would be on benefits

Agreed. They can't give to everything. But I think the Saints players in particular could make a gesture. 10% of their weekly wages? Even 1% would do.

Donated . Great cause & great effort. Surprised his total is fairly low so far and hope that all saints fans dig deep as his challenge comes to an end.

I think if Frannys team hit the stadium with a bucket collection on Saturday they would swell the totally from spontaneous dentations.

Think I'll donate a second time in thanks to Franny for increasing the my overall 'feel good factor' about Saints. Just as much, for me, as the signings of Tadic, Gardos, bloke I can't spell, and Mane, etc.

Things like this make you proud to be a Saint. Can't wait for Saturday and the biggest cheer of the day being at half time. Hope the Geordies know what is going on, they are always a pretty generous bunch.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11470007.Help_Saints_legend_finish_mammoth_charity_challenge/

Sotonians are being urged to turn out in their droves to welcome back the veteran defender and line the roads with banners and flags to cheer him home.

Benali’s Big Challenge will climax when he enters St Mary’s, where Saints are taking on Newcastle United.

The 45-year-old is expected to enter Southampton via Moorgreen Road shortly after 2pm, pass Moorgreen Hospital at 2.20pm before heading to West End Road and on to Bitterne.

He will join Bitterne Road West at 2.40pm, cross the Northam Bridge around 2.45pm, and run along Britannia Road before he enters the stadium in front of cheering crowds. All timings are approximate.

Saints chairman Ralph Kreuger has vowed to join Franny for part of the final day, which will begin at Alton.

>>>>

May try leave the pub bit earlier to see him running in

Donated . Great cause & great effort. Surprised his total is fairly low so far and hope that all saints fans dig deep as his challenge comes to an end.

I think if Frannys team hit the stadium with a bucket collection on Saturday they would swell the totally from spontaneous dentations.

Pompey will probably bring their buckets along or try and get a part of the prceeds

Damn, gave my old false teeth to a car boot on the spur of the moment last weekend.

Franny does that challenge and raises a pittance , some chav up North torches a kennel and with in a couple days over a million has been donated to the kennels . Strange world we live in

To be fair even our own fan base have barely contributed. Lets face it 87k to date is ****all. I can understand other teams fans not really being too interested in the challenge of a relatively unknown player but the saints fans should be all over this. The man is a saints legend and has put his body on the line for a serious challenge to raise money for a charity that without doubt has touched every single saints fan in some way.

come on saints fans get your hands in your pockets and spare some cash for a great cause.

To be fair even our own fan base have barely contributed. Lets face it 87k to date is ****all. I can understand other teams fans not really being too interested in the challenge of a relatively unknown player but the saints fans should be all over this. The man is a saints legend and has put his body on the line for a serious challenge to raise money for a charity that without doubt has touched every single saints fan in some way.

come on saints fans get your hands in your pockets and spare some cash for a great cause.

Agree. I hope this is pushed hard at the ground today. No point waiting until halftime, there should be bucket rattlers everywhere from well before kick off. An epic challenge. Be good to see Franny (and MLT) at St Marys.

Wild saint . I don't know how many saints fans have put their hands in their pockets . I donated early on before he started the run

I take your point though . But while the owners of the dead dogs will be very upset but over a £1million inside two days , that seems a bit over the top . Maybe the manc footballers donated 5% of their weekly salary .

It's rarely that amount of money is raised in such a very short period following a national disaster .

Oh and don't get me started on irresponsible dog owners who allow their dogs to do a puncheon and crap wherever they want without cleaning it up

I can understand the frustration that he hasn't raised more, but to put it into context, on the day Eddie Izzard finished his marathon challenge he'd raised £200k, and that's a national celebrity with the might of the BBC behind him.

It wasn't until the program was shown on TV later and on Sport Relief that he really started raking it in.

People should stop moaning and start putting their money where their mouth is. As somebody said the money is low if you compare to the number of people at Mary's can hold. Today should see a massive increase if everybody at the stadium donates.

No beating around the bush ... I've pit my £15 in already.

As Ralph has put himself out there and announced he would be joining Franny for part of the run today I would like to think that when he runs into St. Mary's at half time he is greeted with a sizeable cheque from the club.

They arent just going to have that announcer guy shake his hand and say "well done Franny, how do you feel?" surely ?

I think a lot of people will be donating today.

What an achievement though, and what a top bloke.

Good to see the chairman is joining him for part of it, that is a nice touch when you think of Franny v the chairman in years past.

He's coming home, he's coming home!

ps are we allowed to abuse people who ignore him and go for a crap pie instead, or is that unsaintly?

People should stop moaning and start putting their money where their mouth is. As somebody said the money is low if you compare to the number of people at Mary's can hold. Today should see a massive increase if everybody at the stadium donates.

No beating around the bush ... I've pit my £15 in already.

I just spoke to my brother who's going to the game and asked him if he'd donated yet. He hadn't and now will. That's what I think and hope happens right across the fan base today, certainly for anyone going to the match. Ask your mates if they've donated, and make sure they do. As someone said above, it's a cause which will touch almost everyone and it's an epic achievement. I expect today will be by far and away the biggest day for donations.

I know some people will find it difficult financially to donate but even just the price of a pint or a packet of fags will be enough. I find it hard to believe there's a Saints Fan out there who won't be donating.

This must be the most amazingly difficult physical challenge ever performed by anyone associated with the club and all you have to do physically is to pull your finger out.:)

Donated and shared on Facebook, it's so sad to see what Franny has put himself through and he's not even at 10% of his target yet. Hopefully the club will put some kind of sum in at HT - if we can afford to pay Gaston 50k a week we can afford to put 25k in for this cause!

It is a bit of a shame but £100k is still an outstanding achievement. Incredible.

It is a bit of a shame but £100k is still an outstanding achievement. Incredible.

Totally agree, an amazing effort raising an amazing amount of money. Im sure he will get a big cheque in the stadium and lots more donations. I never had the folk hero respect for him as a player that many others did - but he has my utmost respect now.