September One - Judgement Day

Turkish

Today is Judgement Day at the request of Mr Krueger.

We have a great manager and staff.

We have money in the bank still.

We have a good new team, possibly could do with a striker, but so be it.

We have reinforced where we were weak

We have kept hold of our best players after all

We have an owner who cares

We have ambition, our manager says we are heading to the champions league in 3 years

We have fans that care... Some are too complacent, but those that put themselves above the parapet may have sent a message to the Boardroom to help keep a good owner and encourage a Board that made mistakes. Those that say it was always going to be good are full of blind faith.... those who fought cared.

We have a Boardroom worth giving a chance to.

It's time now to get behind Saints as a oner... Manager and team, senior leadership (owner and Board) and us the people ... The fans.

Well done everyone. We have a club to be feared. Let's take it into Europe together.

Today is Judgement Day at the request of Mr Krueger.

We have a great manager and staff.

We have money in the bank still.

We have a good new team, possibly could do with a striker, but so be it.

We have reinforced where we were weak

We have kept hold of our best players after all

We have an owner who cares

We have ambition, our manager says we are heading to the champions league in 3 years

We have fans that care... Some are too complacent, but those that put themselves above the parapet may have sent a message to the Boardroom to help keep a good owner and encourage a Board that made mistakes. Those that say it was always going to be good are full of blind faith.... those who fought cared.

We have a Boardroom worth giving a chance to.

It's time now to get behind Saints as a oner... Manager and team, senior leadership (owner and Board) and us the people ... The fans.

Well done everyone. We have a club to be feared. Let's take it into Europe together.

You know there is an alternative view to your noble selfless bravery right?

Mass hysteria in the media and on here earlier in the summer just went to show what a reactionary, short term, judgemental society we live in now. Fortunately there are still some sensible people who saw through all the hype and took a more pragmatic view of the situation. Luckily for us the members of our board can be put firmly in the second camp.

I wonder if people would like to apologise for some of the crass, highly personal and insulting posts on here towards the people that run our club that were flying around this summer? Many of these were pathetic, unnecessary and downright childish.

Well done to everyone at the club for sorting out the carnage instigated by people that left. I firmly believe we are in a good place with solid foundations which will see the club run in a sustainable and prosperous way for years to come.

Excellent post, which expresses exactly how I feel.

Peeps can re write history all they want. But however way you look at it, January - July was a total **** fest from a leaderless Southampton Board.....They got 'one' decision right and that was to appoint the best managerial candidate. The one that stood out so far above the others that only a group clueless chimps could have got it wrong.

Personally I'm proud i played my part in forcing the Board of fools to put the brakes on player sales.....If it were left to some of blind faith apologists on here, Morgan and JRod would have been at Spurs a month ago.

Make no mistake, 4 of our new signings are 100% down to Koeman, they wouldn't be here otherwise. **** knows where we'd be right now if he hadn't filled the leadership vacuum and dragged the Board of fools kicking and screaming into this season.

We had a solid proven top half team that needed 2-3 additions to push on this year but now we have a untested team with 'potential'...I know what i would prefer.

What's done is done though and we all need to move on. Kat's got her 30m back and the Club now have a leader in it's ranks that's been so desperately missing. So here's hoping we can at least fulfill that potential......Onwards and upwards.

Oh as you should be Sir!! Clearly you were instrumental in getting the direction and ambition of our club back on track. Really we should now be looking to install a statue of your likeness outside St Mary's as soon as possible.

In fact I'm already planning to strike the inaugural "Saintsweb Annual Award for Outstanding Selflessness and Bravery in the face of Overwhelming Cluelessness" in your honour.

Do tell me where to have it posted.

Still not entirely sure what went on at the start of the summer. In isolation I could pretty much understand the outgoings, granted I agree Chambers seemed a strange one. I am a bit disappointed the team fell apart, I do feel with a few additions that team could have done good things. If just Shaw, Osvaldo and Lambert (much as it hurt seeing a legend go like that, I find it hard to begrudge the bloke) had left and we added say Bertrand, Toby, Tadic, Forster & Pelle - that squad looks pretty darn strong. But anyway, we should move on.

Chambers being sold was the straw that broke the camels back that's why Schneiderlin and Rodriguez are still here. The others were all in "Cortese Cult" except maybe Lambert

Disappointed Poch left, don't get why he is suddenly not that good a manager, he did a very good job here. That said, I was very pleased with Koeman. Did help settle some nerves and was reassuring after starting to wonder what the point was, or if this was all we could hope for. He has impressed me all along so far.

Another one of the "Cortese Cult" I am not sorry he's gone ......... lets see how it goes for him at Yids. He doesn't have the players there to play his Plan A or nothing style

I'm still not really sure what much more the board could have done. Yes, the departures were disappointing but I don't think it's quite as simple as just saying no to all of them as some suggest. There will be a lot of things none of us know about, as there always is in these situations, so it's probably hard to really judge. I really don't think you can have a squad with 5-6 players not wanting to be there.

Maybe have communicated better? Still have my doubts about the CEO and CFO (anyone know who they are?)

Think Reed has done a good job getting the players in, took a lot of stick but the squad is looking decent now. Much better than I had thought at one point for sure. Sure, he may have had some input from Koeman in identifying targets - but I still imagine Reed will have been pretty instrumental in getting the deals done (I can't see Ralph being overly involved if I'm honest).

Well he had the money to do something LOL. Still not convinced but will be happy to be proved wrong.

Don't really think we are far off in terms of individual quality, though will need to see some a bit more. Tadic looks useful hopefully he can improve once he gets into the groove of PL football. Toby A has a decent pedigree, and Forster looks a very solid keeper thus far. Excited to see how Mane performs, don't know a huge deal about him - but even in a poor league his stats are impressive. Think Pelle will be alright, if perhaps not spectacular. Still unsure on Long.

Mane is the one unknown of the new arrivals but for 10M hope that he is worth it. Long seems a lot of money but hope it works out. The others seem good signings.

Bit disappointed with Gaston going today, but very pleased Morgan & Jrod are still in the building. Suspect it may well be the last season we see them here, which is a shame. I've long held the view that Morgan is our best player.

Think he is done here and lost his shirt number to Mane, another Cortese crap signing. Pity we couldn't have got rid of Mayuka at the same time :)

Things look good at the moment, pleased to hear Koeman saying cups are a target too. I predicted us to finish in the group of 15th-10th position, would probably say top end of that now.

Know what I think we will be somewhere between 6-10 :)

Asset strip

Yes it was :rolleyes:

Just my opinion eh

kat is the biggest winner in all this, and fair play to her.

She has come out of it all with a squad more or less equal to the one she had, but with 30M quid to play with.

Anyone who thinks that it was their phone calls and forum posts had anything to do with it..........well, the word deluded is over used on this forum already. ;)

Just my opinion eh

I don't wish to sound patronising at all, your points are all fair. Ofcourse it's your opinion, but I don't think we agree on it all, which is fine. Opinions innit.

This communication thing gets bandied around a lot. But I'm not sure we heard anymore for many other club all summer. Between Ralph and Reed a lot of interviews wee given, probably more than most clubs board.

What more could they have said? Were people expecting a blow-by-blow account of all negotiations of all transfers, both in&out? It's clear we had some bad eggs in the squad, who were happy to publicly play the media to chase their big money moves, personally I'd rather we announced things as and when they are done. Up until things being finalised, myriad problems can occur and the board would only be criticised if they were to comment and for circumstances to change - which most likely happens a lot.

In my opinion, this communication thing is nonsense. Most of this post is a rehash of posts I've made on various threads, so sorry for repetition, but from experience people on the internet talk about PR gaffes from the outside, assuming they know exactly what has occurred. Usually(from my experience) they are way off the mark, and the make incorrect assumptions based on this, their reactions and final outcomes.

Well overall we've come through a pretty traumatic period with what looks a stronger overall squad. The signs look promising team wise, but doesn't look as strong Yet!

I like Koeman he is definitely the right man at the right time. A little more patience needed while the team is blended into how he wants to play.

Some harsh lessons learned hopefully, by the new board.

The first big staement of intent was securing RonKo as manager - From that we have re-built an impressive squad which on its day can compete with any team in this division.

Very happy with everybody at the club, and the effort put into the Saints re-build despite some tough times from some who's head went missing to other parts of the country - mainly on the Mersey!

Well done to all involved.

very pleased with the transfer window overall...

Lallana, shaw and lovern were always going to move...

lambert was a shame as he was a legend - but IMHO this would have been his last season, and from the bench at that...

chambers was a shock and disappointing - but whichever way you look at it - 16m for an 18 yo who has played 20 games is good business. yes he will be the future of England etc... but he went to the Arse and who has ever refused them...?

the other outs..? meh... fringe players (gotta love Jos though..!)

potatochino - got the team playing good stuff but IMHO tactically limited - as spurs will find out

so while the media hyped things up, and lots over people on here wet themselves - I was quite relaxed

the money we brought in, along with the manager we now had, I thought we would do good business...

the best business of the window - Koeman and keeping morgan

I think no one can disagree (with any rational argument) that the new team is on paper, at least as good and probably better than last years

so looking at the transfer window as a whole... POSITIVE AND A SUCCESS

IMHO

COYR!!!

very pleased with the transfer window overall...

so while the media hyped things up, and lots over people on here wet themselves - I was quite relaxed

I think no one can disagree (with any rational argument) that the new team is on paper, at least as good and probably better than last years

Have you seen the 2 new players play? Have they been tested in the PL?

It is all a leap of faith.

Until we have seen the new team play for 5 or 6 games surely the jury must still be out. WBA home is still very much in my mind,and whilst WHU was a step forward we cant jump quite yet

Well overall we've come through a pretty traumatic period with what looks a stronger overall squad. The signs look promising team wise, but doesn't look as strong Yet!

I like Koeman he is definitely the right man at the right time. A little more patience needed while the team is blended into how he wants to play.

Some harsh lessons learned hopefully, by the new board.

Agree with this, especially the last sentence about the new board. They could have done better to allay the fears of a meltdown, and still they could do better for a few players (like Cork). But as they seem to have handled this, they should be able to handle anything else that comes their way, as I cannot think that it will be ever as bad as what we have faced this summer. They have, as of 1st September, come out looking OK. They certainly seem to have backed the manager, spent some money and gone and got his targets. That we are £30m up from player sales, is fine with me, and if it goes to pay off this or that, then that is entirely sensible.

Some other observations....

Not a great fan of loans, but if there is an agreement of a loan and option to buy, then that is so much better. Try them out. Makes sure both sides are happy. With the mass rebuild, I can see why we have done it with two potentially great players, while not having to pay out £17m or so in transfer fees straight off.

The squad is small (smallest in the league if you go with this: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/startseite/wettbewerb/GB1). This might be a problem, but it does seem that some of the signings are very versatile and are able to play in multiple positions. I am slightly concerned about our forwards. I can see more pressure on JRod being signed but guess 4 months is quite a long time, and a lot can change. Guess the same applies to MS.

But the biggest thing this summer has shown up, is the reinforcement of my dislike for football. I look at the way some of our players behave, and I look at the transfer dealings of say Man Utd and just have to shake my head. I'll retreat into my little hole and just carry on with Saints. I find it sad that our English core might not be there this season, as I was immensely proud of all the English/British players we fielded. Fair enough really, it will take time to rebuild it and bring it through and part of me says sod it, why should we improve the squads of other teams - although that is part of the academy's role.

There will probably be a Judgement Day after virtually every game but by 1st October the team will have had 3 more Prem games:-

Newcastle (H)

Swansea (A)

QPR (H)

9 points, perfection leaves no room for debate;

7 points, maybe a fair expectation and a good outcome;

6 points, still reasonable

5 points, a mild disappointment as it would mean more home points dropped

4 points, not really good enough

3 points, definitely not good enough, even if it's 3 draws

2 points, 1 point, 0 points - failing.

The number of points achieved is more relevant than league position as position also depends on the results of other teams. Last season, after 6 games we had 11 points and at 1/10/2013 were 6th in the table so to stay on par with last season we should be hoping for 7 points from the next three games.

It is Judgement Day after every game Prof. Win and we are world beaters. Lose and we are cr*p and are going down. Not every team will be as easy to beat as West Ham but you can only play and beat what is in front of you. I am sure there will be more games like WBA but I am also sure that we have a team that can compete at this level and that is all we can ask for. Pochettino took a while to settle in and I hope that Ronald K is given the same luxury.

The squad is small (smallest in the league if you go with this: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/startseite/wettbewerb/GB1). This might be a problem, but it does seem that some of the signings are very versatile and are able to play in multiple positions. I am slightly concerned about our forwards. I can see more pressure on JRod being signed but guess 4 months is quite a long time, and a lot can change. Guess the same applies to MS.

Targett, Isgrove, Reed, McQueen, and Rowe not on Transfermarkt's squad list so we are not as short as it might appear.

WBA home is still very much in my mind,and whilst WHU was a step forward we cant jump quite yet

We had many games last season that were similar to the West Brom game. No doubt if we struggle to break teams down this season the games against Sunderland, West Ham, Cardiff, Villa, even Wets Brom, from last year will be completely forgotten about.

The success of the season will probably rest on Pelle. If he can get up towards 15 goals I'm confident we'll be better than last season

1) this is more of an observation really which is that many on here are saying we now have a deeper squad than last year. What I see is that we have replaced most of the the players we have sold or loaned (7 in, 9 out), and not replaced the players we let go at the end of their contracts. I don't see how that has given us a deeper squad? Can someone who thinks we have a deeper squad please explain that to me?

I think if we take the (pretty reasonable) assumption that the players who were released were deemed not good enough to play for a team competing in the middle third of the Premier League, we're at least no worse off. The likes of Barnard, Fox and Sharp weren't going to be getting a game in a month of Sundays, so they might as well have not been there last season either, while Guly and Hooiveld, as much as I liked both of them during their time with us, were players who wouldn't get a start now unless we had an injury crisis of biblical proportions. There's probably around £5m worth of wages saved there, which can be invested elsewhere.

Our bench on Saturday at West Ham: K Davis, Gardos, Hooiveld, Ramirez, Cork, Wanyama, Mayuka

Swap out those who have since left with those who have arrived, and even our bench looks really strong all of a sudden. Potentially a subs bench of Boruc, Gardos, Yoshida, Mane/Long, Cork, Wanyama, Rodriguez. Throw in the likes of Targett, Reed and Gallagher, maybe Isgrove as well, who have at least held their own when called upon, and there does have the feeling of more quality waiting in the wings than at any time last season (hopefully with Ramirez to return full of confidence after a season of actually getting regular games).

I think if we take the (pretty reasonable) assumption that the players who were released were deemed not good enough to play for a team competing in the middle third of the Premier League, we're at least no worse off. The likes of Barnard, Fox and Sharp weren't going to be getting a game in a month of Sundays, so they might as well have not been there last season either, while Guly and Hooiveld, as much as I liked both of them during their time with us, were players who wouldn't get a start now unless we had an injury crisis of biblical proportions. There's probably around £5m worth of wages saved there, which can be invested elsewhere.

Our bench on Saturday at West Ham: K Davis, Gardos, Hooiveld, Ramirez, Cork, Wanyama, Mayuka

Swap out those who have since left with those who have arrived, and even our bench looks really strong all of a sudden. Potentially a subs bench of Boruc, Gardos, Yoshida, Mane/Long, Cork, Wanyama, Rodriguez. Throw in the likes of Targett, Reed and Gallagher, maybe Isgrove as well, who have at least held their own when called upon, and there does have the feeling of more quality waiting in the wings than at any time last season (hopefully with Ramirez to return full of confidence after a season of actually getting regular games).

^ That pretty much sums everything up right there!

Mayuka - what is the general consensus? Is he ever going to make the grade? With him and Gallagher, I do think we are vulnerable up top, esp with JRod being injured (and maybe off), as at present I don't think that they can do the job. We have Pelle and Long, who does more than be an out and out striker. Mané can play left/right/centre.

There will probably be a Judgement Day after virtually every game but by 1st October the team will have had 3 more Prem games:-

Newcastle (H)

Swansea (A)

QPR (H)

9 points, perfection leaves no room for debate;

7 points, maybe a fair expectation and a good outcome;

6 points, still reasonable

5 points, a mild disappointment as it would mean more home points dropped

4 points, not really good enough

3 points, definitely not good enough, even if it's 3 draws

2 points, 1 point, 0 points - failing.

The number of points achieved is more relevant than league position as position also depends on the results of other teams. Last season, after 6 games we had 11 points and at 1/10/2013 were 6th in the table so to stay on par with last season we should be hoping for 7 points from the next three games.

Yeah I would agree with this. I think we should definitely be achieving 7 points, aiming for 9. Newcastle is the must win I think, we if do well in that the team will get a lot of confidence and we'll really give it a go at Swansea who will be a tough challenge. The steam we could build up from a good win against Newcastle would be especially important as hopefully Chelsea can take the wind out of Swansea's sails a bit before we play them. QPR should be a nailed on 3 points (they have a tough 2 games before us as well, so hopefully confidence will be low for them). I think we have a very good chance of getting the 9 points :) Lets just see how we go.

But we all know football rarely works like that :lol:

We have a weaker squad than last season, and less depth which is the one thing we needed to increase not decrease ( struggle to pick a 25 man squad) BUT it could have been a lot worse.

Lots of points winning on this thread, I'd say NO ONE had an idea what was going especially after the sale of Chambers. Despite all the damage caused we do have a squad that I believe can challenge this season.

angelman The squad is small (smallest in the league if you go with this: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premi...wettbewerb/GB1). This might be a problem, but it does seem that some of the signings are very versatile and are able to play in multiple positions. I am slightly concerned about our forwards. I can see more pressure on JRod being signed but guess 4 months is quite a long time, and a lot can change. Guess the same applies to MS.

Targett, Isgrove, Reed, McQueen, and Rowe not on Transfermarkt's squad list so we are not as short as it might appear.

Rather have a smaller squad where every player is happy and can be relied upon rather than a larger one with liabilities as back up (Hooiveld, Fox etc.)

Have you seen the 2 new players play? Have they been tested in the PL?

It is all a leap of faith.

Until we have seen the new team play for 5 or 6 games surely the jury must still be out. WBA home is still very much in my mind,and whilst WHU was a step forward we cant jump quite yet

to be fair old nick - I did say 'on paper..'

Our 25 man squad from last year (ie excluding U21) and Yes/No to being Homegrown. as submitted to PL http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/squad-lists/Premier-League-Squad-Lists-January-2014.pdf The majority don't seem to have a full compliment of 25, and while we had the smallest, the next smallest with 19 was Liverpool and they did OK last season.

1 Boruc, Artur No

2 Clyne, Nathaniel Edwin Yes

3 Cork, Jack Frank Porteous Yes

4 Davis, Kelvin Geoffery Yes

5 Davis, Steven Yes

6 Do Prado Raymundo, Guilherme No

7 Fonte, Jose Miguel No

8 Fox, Daniel Yes

9 Hooiveld, Jos No

10 Lallana, Adam David Yes

11 Lambert, Rickie Lee Yes

12 Lovren, Dejan No

13 Ramirez Pereyra, Gaston Exequiel No

14 Rodriguez, Jay Enriqus Yes

15 Schneiderlin, Morgan Yes

16 Wanyama, Victor No

17 Yoshida, Maya No

18 Forte, Jonathan Ronald James Yes

With incomers being

Forster

Bertrand

Alderweireld

Tadic

Mané

Long

Pelle

and Mayuka's loan ending.

So from the 25 - we are the same number 18. The main difference seems to be the loss of two U21 in Shaw and Chambers. Shows last season how good the U21s were. This year those likely and/or possibles

Gallagher

Gazza

Isgrove

McQueen

Reed

Targett

JWP

There maybe others that have been "unfairly" left out

I do agree with Saint IQ when he says "Rather have a smaller squad where every player is happy and can be relied upon rather than a larger one with liabilities as back up (Hooiveld, Fox etc.)" so long as the squad isn't too small.

Silly question and if anyone really wanted to know they'd have to ask the club but I can offer some anecdotal evidence. A colleague of mine phoned to ask for his money back and found he had to ring several times before getting through. When he did get through he received an apology from someone who told him the phone lines had been jammed with callers.

I get that every time I phone for tickets.

Very hard to square that with reality

Yep.

Far better squad depth in: Goal, Defense

Equal depth: Midfield

To be assessed: Attack, May lack the same ultimate quality but the case is there to say it can be just as good.

Credit to the board and Koeman, i've been very critical of Krueger in particular but the indication is that they have done a bang up job to recover from the terrible situation we were in. Now it's up to Ronald Koeman.

We have a weaker squad than last season, and less depth which is the one thing we needed to increase not decrease ( struggle to pick a 25 man squad) BUT it could have been a lot worse.

Lots of points winning on this thread, I'd say NO ONE had an idea what was going especially after the sale of Chambers. Despite all the damage caused we do have a squad that I believe can challenge this season.

No way do we have less depth than last season. The only positions we dont have strong back-up are LB (no change from last season, and anyway Targett is coming through) and striker (anyway J-Rod will hopefully be back soon). And for the first time we have real competition at CB.

Is the squad weaker ? I would argue not. We have got rid of dead-wood and malingerers.

I'm optimistic for this season - and thats saying something.

No way do we have less depth than last season. The only positions we dont have strong back-up are LB (no change from last season, and anyway Targett is coming through) and striker (anyway J-Rod will hopefully be back soon). And for the first time we have real competition at CB.

Is the squad weaker ? I would argue not. We have got rid of dead-wood and malingerers.

I'm optimistic for this season - and thats saying something.

Blimey Alps, have the meds finally kicked in??? :o

Why the sarcasm ?

The board have done what I always said I hoped for; made good the losses, got rid of financial black holes, added some reasonable depth.

So rather than squinniying all summer, prophesying doomsday about being in brown creek with out a paddle, run like a crappy b&b etc, why didn't you do what they ask you to do and judge them from 1st September? They've done what you asked, why didn't you do what they asked?

So rather than squinniying all summer, prophesying doomsday about being in brown creek with out a paddle, run like a crappy b&b etc, why didn't you do what they ask you to do and judge them from 1st September? They've done what you asked, why didn't you do what they asked?

...and off he goes.

Turkey, its getting rather tedious...

...and off he goes.

Turkey, its getting rather tedious...

Genuine question, why won't you answer?

You've *****ed and bleated all summer, as usual, yet you got what you wanted. The board delivered what you asked for, so why didn't you give them the chance to do this, in the timescale they clearly outlined? Why didn't you hold off your annual whingefest to give them the chance to deliver what you claim you wanted?

Genuine question, why won't you answer?

You've *****ed and bleated all summer, as usual, yet you got what you wanted. The board delivered what you asked for, so why didn't you give them the chance to do this, in the timescale they clearly outlined? Why didn't you hold off your annual whingefest to give them the chance to deliver what you claim you wanted?

Find someone else to harass and give meaning to your life, Turkey.

To be fair, Alpine hasn't had as much of a meltdown as others this summer. Not sure he's worth the tirade right now.

Now, if we're going to start attacking people, where is Saint Richmond?

Oh come on, that is not even an actual fan. Anyone that argues with itself is the pure definition of a troll.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthrea...33#post1957533

Edited by Colinjb

To be fair, Alpine hasn't had as much of a meltdown as others this summer. Not sure he's worth the tirade right now.

Or Saint Charlie a whole summer of telling everyone how bad the club was doing and how amazing everybody elses signings where.....

Or Saint Charlie a whole summer of telling everyone how bad the club was doing and how amazing everybody elses signings where.....

Or Saint George whathisname, suggesting he is the reason we didn't sell Morgan and Jay. If he hadn't have spoken up, god knows what would have happened.

Forever in our debt.

Agreed. Alpine has been quite reasonable this summer and he certainly had a basis for his opinions that we were short of cover at CB and that Ramirez had been a disappointment generally since he arrived. Both are sorted and so he is content with how things have turned out and has said so. But as you say, Saint Richmond has been a prize idiot throughout and he has gone very quiet of late. Perhaps returned to his village, who were missing him.