September One - Judgement Day

Turkish

I can see we are all quite happy, though while most express their satisfaction the usual suspects go straight into smart-arse mode to settle petty scores.

Oh well.... :facepalm:

maybe if the trolls didnt troll and the bedwetters didnt ...... etc then maybe they woukdnt need to i guess?

Overall, pretty pleased with the transfer window. I do feel we have strengthened significantly at the back, and particularly at CB.

My only concern is where the goals are going to come from. Hopefully Mane can chip in with 15 or so and JRod stays for the season when he's fit. Long isn't a natural goalscorer and if Pelle get's injured then we could struggle. Also slightly disappointed that we've let Gaston go on loan to a rival club, but as someone put it on the transfer thread yesterday (and assuming these figures are correct) the a £3m loan fee and getting his £50k pw wages off the books for someone who only played 500 minutes last season is a pretty good result.

Alderweirald replaces Chambers surely? They can play the same exact positions. Jos was just a squad player. I was excited by the prospect of Toby, but now I hear he covers right back too, hell of a coup to get him in!

I think we've done exceptionally well considering the circumstances. 10/10, if you look at the judas's leaving as out of our control as being a situation we had to deal with. Even if we did choose for them to leave I think we're looking at at least a 7 or 8.

Key improvements from last season that get me very excited:

We have Boruc AND Forster. That's one of the biggest successes of the window for us, that we have massively improved keeper competition. So Keeper = strengthened.

I would strongly argue defense is stronger. Lovren and Chambers out, Alderweirald and Gardos in. Shaw replaced with Bertrand also looks good, with a bit more prem experience, something we'll need. The fact we're keeping clyne anyway and injuries notwithstanding, we basically have massive competition all along the back four now, more than last season in terms of quality, plus we have Targett and we have a much improved Yoshi.

Defense = strengthened.

We have kept Spider, Cork, Wanyama and offloaded Gaston (who is basically like a Torres to us) and replaced him with this Mane fella. We have replaced lallana with Tadic which looks very very astute.

Midfield = strengthened (as we have basically replaced Gaston for Mane).

We have replaced Osvaldo with Shane and Lambert with Pelle. Plus we still have Rodriguez, Gallagher and er Mayuka? But since we now have a third forward in the shape of Long instead of none in the shape of Osvaldo.

Forwards = Strengthened.

I really think we've done exceptionally. Considering we lost the players we did, which I don't think wee could have stopped in most cases (Chambers is a funny one), plus we've kept onto Boruc and Spider and JRod. I really think we're in better positions in every part of the pitch, at a slight profit! I think we should be looking top 10 hopefully. Ideally 9th or 8th (depending on Swansea maybe) but possibly even 7th, you never know :p

Also LOL at Man Utd. Yeah, you really needed another forward, that was the part of the field you needed strengthening. Maybe they're hoping to do a Liverpool and just out score everyone?? Except Man Utds defense is a few orders of magnitude weaker than Liverpool's was last season... hope we actually manage to finish above them this season! ;) :p

And finally, never thought I'd see the day little ol Southampton spend £60mill in a transfer window :lol: and come out 5th highest spender in the league :scared:

Beautiful. Great read.

So, not a fire sale, then?

Great window for us, thoroughly looking forward to this season now.

Just hope that we still see a couple from Academy come through, I'd love to see Reed and Rowe get a few games - trouble is the competition for places now makes this unlikely. It will be really interesting to see how our two Centre Backs get on at Swindon - is this now the new route to our first team.

maybe if the trolls didnt troll and the bedwetters didnt ...... etc then maybe they woukdnt need to i guess?

I dont think there is more than a couple of trolls on here. So what if a few overreact ? At least they are honest and care, unlike the emotional Rambos that infest this site. And it shows a lot about their maturity that they are now in "told you so" mode despite the fact that they knew f**k-all more about what would happen than the rest.

It's f**king boring and childish.

I dont think there is more than a couple of trolls on here. So what if a few overreact ? At least they are honest and care, unlike the emotional Rambos that infest this site. And it shows a lot about their maturity that they are now in "told you so" mode despite the fact that they knew f**k-all more about what would happen than the rest.

I knew it wasn't a fire sale or asset strip.

It was obvious, at the time, to people that were not fu cking idiots.

Against all better judgement I find myself agreeing with you for once.

Very happy with where we are over where we were immediately after the World Cup. Think the new board have mis-handled a few things but they've certainly put my mind at rest over their intentions for the club.

On paper it's now looking like a cracking transfer window, how it looks on the pitch we'll have to wait and see, but already the signs are promising.

Edited by mulletsaint

There were plenty of us on here who didn't think it was necessarily either, doesn't mean it wasn't concerning. And before you say, yes there were also a fair few who went way over the top as usual. Unfortunately the usual mongs decided to lump everyone who didn't 'believe' in the same boat. Life ain't always so black and white.

Quite. The fact there's still some seepage going on says it all really. It's been more than a little weird watching a bunch of grown (presumably) men acting like jilted adolescents for post after post after post. Much work for Koeman to do to get the right blend, but the window has closed as it opened, with some terrific signings.

There were plenty of us on here who didn't think it was necessarily either, doesn't mean it wasn't concerning. Unfortunately the usual mongs decided to lump everyone who didn't 'believe' in the same boat. Life ain't always so black and white.

You're being black and white if you think I am talking about you.

The shades of grey got screamed out by Crabby and the hystericals.

Did you know the club didn't return some phone calls from Adam Lallana? I mean, really. It's a disgrace.

Alderweirald replaces Chambers surely? They can play the same exact positions. Jos was just a squad player. I was excited by the prospect of Toby, but now I hear he covers right back too, hell of a coup to get him in!

I think we've done exceptionally well considering the circumstances. 10/10, if you look at the judas's leaving as out of our control as being a situation we had to deal with. Even if we did choose for them to leave I think we're looking at at least a 7 or 8. Key improvements from last season that get me very excited:

We have Boruc AND Forster. That's one of the biggest successes of the window for us, that we have massively improved keeper competition. So Keeper = strengthened.

I would strongly argue defense is stronger. Lovren and Chambers out, Alderweirald and Gardos in. Shaw replaced with Bertrand also looks good, with a bit more prem experience, something we'll need. The fact we're keeping clyne anyway and injuries notwithstanding, we basically have massive competition all along the back four now, more than last season in terms of quality, plus we have Targett and we have a much improved Yoshi.

Defense = strengthened.

We have kept Spider, Cork, Wanyama and offloaded Gaston (who is basically like a Torres to us) and replaced him with this Mane fella. We have replaced lallana with Tadic which looks very very astute.

We have replaced Osvaldo with Shane and Lambert with Pelle. Plus we still have Rodriguez, Gallagher and er Mayuka? But since we now have a third forward in the shape of Long instead of none in the shape of Osvaldo.

Forwards = Strengthened.

I really think we've done exceptionally. Considering we lost the players we did, which I don't think wee could have stopped in most cases (Chambers is a funny one), plus we've kept onto Boruc and Spider and JRod. I really think we're in better positions in every part of the pitch, at a slight profit! I think we should be looking top 10 hopefully. Ideally 9th or 8th (depending on Swansea maybe) but possibly even 7th, you never know :p

Also LOL at Man Utd. Yeah, you really needed another forward, that was the part of the field you needed strengthening. Maybe they're hoping to do a Liverpool and just out score everyone?? Except Man Utds defense is a few orders of magnitude weaker than Liverpool's was last season... hope we actually manage to finish above them this season! ;) :p

And finally, never thought I'd see the day little ol Southampton spend £60mill in a transfer window :lol: and come out 5th highest spender in the league :scared:

A good summary. Although some of the " replacements " may have been hasty, it does seem that we've got quite a few players who were " somewhere... on someone's list ".

Replacing Lovren seemed a big challenge, but hopefully that problem may have been sorted now.

Although they are (IMO) still worth their place, both Fonte 31 in December, and Steve Davis (29) have given good service to the club... but must consider their days will start to be numbered by the end of this season, but the new arrivals give a good feeling of continuity with Koeman.

Despite his " antics " I've always rated Boruc, but Fraser Forster seems a v.good investment in the future......and Artur will surely find himself a new club - in time.

Providing they stay, and hold the form we know they are capable of, both Jay Rod and Morgan Schneiderlin may become key figures in Koeman's " new look Saints."

The most comprehensive overhaul of a Saints side for many decades. Had MP and those players who left..still been at the club. I can't see any of the new recruits even being considered as possible signings.

Edited by david in sweden

Great ending but surely no question the end of May/early June period wasn't handled well both in the actions and certainly in the PR stakes?

But fair play for the turnaround, squad as a whole possibly stronger than we ended with and will be nice to not have the distraction of the window anymore. Finally can focus on the football and we should be able to do well.

Commemdable attitude re Morgan and Jay Rod. Will be interesting to see now ifnwe can persuade the likes of Clyne or Jay to sign a new deal here.

As an aside, how long before they shut the bloody window on the eve of the season in each respective country?

Edited by Saint Charlie

Great transfer window in my view. It was a shame we couldn't keep the same team, but it was obvious (I think) that Pochettino's clique weren't good to have around at the club. Think they've all gone now, so hopefully no manager clique and they'll grow together as a larger team instead of a few stand out individuals.

Top half finish and a cup final now please ;)

Some great business and a solid case that we are stronger coming out of the window, than we were going in - Congratulations to the board and a thank you to KL

My only worry is that the team spirit and togetherness of last seasons squad was very real and (IMO) played a significant part in our success. That won't come overnight and in fact may never come (Plenty of teams can testify to that) and it will take a while to work out the best starting 11, system and shape etc. The fans will need to show a lot more patience than (Many) of them did over the summer, before we really hit full form.

We are an anfield point away from talking about an excellent start to the season.................... The new journey begins

So here we are with it upon us and in cringeworthy sky speak the transfer window slammed shut. what are people's thoughts?

Meltdown? Asset strip? Board that are tossers who do things that'll make your eyes water? Les Reed useless and can't sell the club to anyone?

Or

Do we have the strong squad and good team we were promised?

Off you go.......

I take back what I said about Les Reed, although I do think Koeman had more than a little bit of influence

You're being black and white if you think I am talking about you.

The shades of grey got screamed out by Crabby and the hystericals.

Did you know the club didn't return some phone calls from Adam Lallana? I mean, really. It's a disgrace.

I'm not saying you're talking about me, but while I can see some on here hardly covered themselves in glory, neither are those pointing it out in such an unsavoury way. The amount of testosterone and point scoring and general acting the arsehole on here is something I haven't witnessed since secondary school over 20 years ago.

I take back what I said about Les Reed, although I do think Koeman had more than a little bit of influence

So he should he's the manager after all!

Pleased with the summer business still a bit annoyed we lost Chambers before we had a chance to enjoy watching him grow but these things happen the ins look good particularly Tadic who seems to have replaced Lallana which I thought would be the hardest job. Little worried about the strike force but then I was last season!

I'm not saying you're talking about me, but while I can see some on here hardly covered themselves in glory, neither are those pointing it out in such an unsavoury way. The amount of testosterone and point scoring and general acting the arsehole on here is something I haven't witnessed since secondary school over 20 years ago.

Its a reaction to the huge waves of continuing negativity and doom-laden posts, which treat every bit of possible news or eventual outcomes as a nailed on certain failure for the club even when there is not a shred of reason to do so. IMO

The only disappointment for me is signing Long for £12m. However you try and dress it up with regards to Gaston's loan fee, £12m is double what he is worth and it stinks of a panic buy a bit to me.

Overall though, very positive. I think overall our squad is stronger and we've made a profit of about £30m to balance the books and pay for the developments at Staplewood. I posted this in the locked thread, so I'll share it here again.

Tadic replaces Lallana

Pelle replaces Lambert

Mane replaces Gaston

Alderweirald replaces Jos

Gardos replaces Lovren

Bertrand replaces Shaw

Long replaces Osvaldo

Forster in

Chambers out

That's a pretty decent window IMO.

This mirrors my feeling. Great signings in Tadic and Alderweireld, retaining Boruc as well as getting in Forster was also a bonus otherwise I didn't see the point.

Think people are raving about Bertrand to early because all I see is a bit of a headless chicken still and Shane Long is a massive waste of space.

Jury out on Man and Pelle a bit.

Its a reaction to the huge waves of continuing negativity and doom-laden posts, which treat every bit of possible news or eventual outcomes as a nailed on certain failure for the club even when there is not a shred of reason to do so. IMO

I know where you're coming from but also feel you're being over generous. There are far too many posters on here who are happy to act the cvnt knowing they can hide behind the anonymity of the computer screen.

Beautiful. Great read.

So, not a fire sale, then?

It might be convenient to paint this black and white picture of a polarised fan base, but that's just lazy CB Fry. There's grey. Lots of grey.

I remember sitting on a train coming back from London and a mate had just texted me that we had sold our iconic striker, and I struggled to believe this was possible. Then many other players were rumoured to want a move or were refusing to sign new contracts, and the same players used backchannels to the press and on here to paint Les Reed as the villain of the piece.

At the same time many of those players were out of club control on holiday or with the England squad in Brazil, where they either made no comment or refused to give reassurances about their future in interviews.

At first, what the fans got to address their growing concerns was zero communication from the club - a club whose new Board had just made being more communicative with fans a central tenet of their new administration.

Les Reed was put forward as a spokesperson, but given that many felt that Les Reed might be the problem, this didn't carry much sway at the time.

Les Reed gave assurances about players leaving, but the language he used was interpreted by many as disingenuous when important players started to be sold.

Questions were asked of our new and inexperienced Chairman who seemed to have disappeared on 'vacation' for the entire summer. "Where's Ralph" was asked again and again, and instead of the Chairman we were given more Les Reed.

Rumours started to appear that the Chairman had left and gone back into ice hockey, whilst articles in certain parts of the press spread rumours that our enigmatic (some might say secretive) owner wanted to divest herself of her father's plaything. This again was set against a backdrop that our previous Executive Chairman, who had delivered amazing success during his time, was rumoured to have moved on over financial tensions with the owner.

Given that backdrop you must be rightfully proud that you instantly saw the truth through all the emotion, contradiction, silence and obfuscation.

Perhaps you are simply better than us all?

That being the case, perhaps you could see through the hubris to cut some slack to the rest of us that didn't have your prescience?

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm simply saying that at times during the summer there was cause for concern and debate. And at times, arriving at the fire-sale hypothesis was a valid theory on route to understanding the facts, given the communication vacuum from the club. I'm also delighted with the dealings the club has done over the summer given where we were, and I'm starting to build some trust in the new Board.

I also fully understand that certain personality types might need to rub a few noses in a few wet duvets.

Edited by saintbletch
Ralph is Chairman not CEO, and removing a repeated repeated phrase...

I think we've done exceptionally well considering the circumstances. 10/10, if you look at the judas's leaving as out of our control as being a situation we had to deal with. Even if we did choose for them to leave I think we're looking at at least a 7 or 8.

Key improvements from last season that get me very excited:

Defense = strengthened.

Forwards = Strengthened.

A very good summary Saxon.

Not sure I'd say we are strengthened defensively, but we certainly aren't as weakened as I feared we might have been, and we also have more defensive formation options.

One other concern is the latent creativity of Gaston that we will be 'missing'.

Other than that, and as you stressed, given the situation we were in with players that had left or wanted to leave, it's been a really good transfer window.

And the new Board has started to build some trust with some supporters.

Les Reed was put forward as a spokesperson, but given that many felt that Les Reed might be the problem, this didn't carry much sway at the time.

Les Reed gave assurances about players leaving, but the language he used was interpreted by many as disingenuous when important players started to be sold.

Questions were asked of our new and inexperienced CEO who seemed to have disappeared on 'vacation' for the entire summer. "Where's Ralph" was asked again and again, and instead of the CEO we were given more Les Reed.

Rumours started to appear that the CEO had left and gone back into ice hockey, whilst articles in certain parts of the press spread rumours that our enigmatic (some might say secretive) owner wanted to divest herself of her father's plaything. This again was set against a backdrop that our previous CEO, who had delivered amazing success during his time, was rumoured to have moved on over financial tensions with the owner.

The one area the Club could have done a lot better and would hope it does so in the future is communication.

The one area the Club could have done a lot better and would hope it does so in the future is communication.

It did not start out that way, and looks to have been forced upon them, but the communication / interviews we did eventually get from Ralph were, I submit, considerably more open and detailed, from a senior board member, than just about any Prem club that I can recall. Lesson learned I believe

I was among those who kept hoping Gaston would come good for us. Right now, in the light of the business they've done recently, I trust the management that they had good reasons to loan him out.

The club might just be in the best state it's ever been.

No need to name and shame the half-wits who predicted such dire prospects for the club, they know who they are and if they have any humility they will be feeling a bit sheepish today. Hopefully lessons have been learned and the next time that there appears to be some reverse in our fortunes, they will be a bit more circumspect about how things might just change for the better as a result. But as they are the same posters every time, I very much doubt it.

Things certainly looked a bit bleak when the cream of our team were seduced by the vastly increased earnings and glory attached to the top clubs, but the board had asked to be judged by the 1st September, were confident that they could bring in replacements as good or better than the players who left, and they appear to have delivered on their promises. Full credit to them. It is indeed arguable that overall the team and the squad is now stronger than that which finished last season, and that the manager is also better too.

It still remains to be seen how the new players meld together as a team, but I have faith in Koeman and he clearly has firm ideas of the type of player who will adapt to the style of play that he espouses and one thing is certain, it is going to be an exciting season seeing how it all pans out.

Mass hysteria in the media and on here earlier in the summer just went to show what a reactionary, short term, judgemental society we live in now. Fortunately there are still some sensible people who saw through all the hype and took a more pragmatic view of the situation. Luckily for us the members of our board can be put firmly in the second camp.

I wonder if people would like to apologise for some of the crass, highly personal and insulting posts on here towards the people that run our club that were flying around this summer? Many of these were pathetic, unnecessary and downright childish.

Well done to everyone at the club for sorting out the carnage instigated by people that left. I firmly believe we are in a good place with solid foundations which will see the club run in a sustainable and prosperous way for years to come.

You are correct, there are a fair few that do overreact. The key to that is learn from your mistakes and take a breath next time. You particularly remind me of the Homer Simpson in the scene where he ties to take the 6-pacl of beers of the electric pylon and you electrocute yourself every 3 seconds. You

GK: We look stronger

Def: Likely Weaker first choice. Bertrand a downgrade on shaw, gardos/aderweirald got quite some level to get up to chambers/Lovren performances of last season.

Mid: About same. Lost Lallana our best player last year, replaced with so far very promising Tadic. Lost Talented Gaston, replaced with Gaston Mk2(here's hoping Mane is more consistent)

Att: About Same: Lost osvaldo and Lambert, brought in Long and Pelle. Taking account of Jrod still being out for months means we are weaker.

It's a bit premature to be crowing 'I told you so' until we see which players perform to the expected standards. Anyone who thought it was obvious that selling four, almost five, of our best players was a good strategy wouldn't be too good a choice to act as an advisor to Koeman. Many fans would still prefer to have Lovren at CB rather than the £20m net profit that the club now have in the bank. In terms of first choice players we may be close to like-for-like replacements but that doesn't necessarily mean we have gone up a level. We will only be able to judge that as the results come in. Where the squad does look better is that it is stronger in depth which should be a significant factor as the season goes on. If we stay in the top 10 playing attractive football, that will be good enough for many people but if we can finish above Tottenham.......

It might be convenient to paint this black and white picture of a polarised fan base, but that's just lazy CB Fry. There's grey. Lots of grey.

I remember sitting on a train coming back from London and a mate had just texted me that we had sold our iconic striker, and I struggled to believe this was possible. Then many other players were rumoured to want a move or were refusing to sign new contracts, and the same players used backchannels to the press and on here to paint Les Reed as the villain of the piece.

At the same time many of those players were out of club control on holiday or with the England squad in Brazil, where they either made no comment or refused to give reassurances about their future in interviews.

At first, what the fans got to address their growing concerns was zero communication from the club - a club whose new Board had just made being more communicative with fans a central tenet of their new administration.

Questions were asked of our new and inexperienced CEO who seemed to have disappeared on 'vacation' for the entire summer. "Where's Ralph" was asked again and again, and instead of the CEO we were given more Les Reed.

Rumours started to appear that the CEO had left and gone back into ice hockey, whilst articles in certain parts of the press spread rumours that our enigmatic (some might say secretive) owner wanted to divest herself of her father's plaything. This again was set against a backdrop that our previous CEO, who had delivered amazing success during his time, was rumoured to have moved on over financial tensions with the owner.

Given that backdrop you must be rightfully proud that you instantly saw the truth through all the emotion, contradiction, silence and obfuscation.

That being the case, perhaps you could see through the hubris to cut some slack to the rest of us that didn't have your prescience?

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm simply saying that at times during the summer there was cause for concern and debate. And at times, arriving at the fire-sale hypothesis was a valid theory on route to understanding the facts, given the communication vacuum from the club. I'm also delighted with the dealings the club has done over the summer given where we were, and I'm starting to build some trust in the new Board.

I also fully understand that certain personality types might need to rub a few noses in a few in a few wet duvets.

I've been talking about the shades of grey all summer. Thanks.

Mass hysteria in the media and on here earlier in the summer just went to show what a reactionary, short term, judgemental society we live in now. Fortunately there are still some sensible people who saw through all the hype and took a more pragmatic view of the situation. Luckily for us the members of our board can be put firmly in the second camp.

Looking now I think I agree but would argue that the board put themselves in trouble the moment they made the ill judged comments about finances when they came in. This was untrue. Yes Cortese had committed £22 million in future payments, but had assembled a squad surely valued at £150 million+. So this was down-right dumb. This surely had an unsettling affect on the players and contributed to all the wanting out. Losing confidence in the board at this stage was reasonable.

Hats off to Les Reed who was presumably the key figure for turning it around.

Don't think it's fair to call out the supposed trolls and bedwetters. The sale of Chambers was the tipping point for a lot of people. Personally I thought it was a great deal for us, so it was no surprise the deal went through a lot quicker than others. At that moment the squad was in a worrying state. Thankfully that's all changed, fair play to Ralph and Les for (finally!) sticking to their word. We've also seen the ever growing influence of Koeman over the last few weeks, he's got a great opportunity now to be a massive success. Just a shame we have an International break already as I for one am looking forward to seeing us play

I also fully understand that certain personality types might need to rub a few noses in a few in a few wet duvets.

Nice post. I am just a tad surprised that given football is such an emotive subject - and despite our forum visionaries POV that it would all work out as long as we trust the board unconditionally- that those now enjoying the ' na na nana na' moment fail to accept that as in life there will be a spectrum of emotion and a spectrum of reaction.

It it also is a tad disingenuous of these burg forum types, that their argument seems to have changed - at first we were told that the unprecedented sales were necessary because Cortese was playing god and spending Kats money without control, on his 'house of cards' like unrealistic drivel dreams... Then we were told that, no it's because the players want out given they have opportunities at biggest clubs... And it's just wheat so many good players that we so many get better offers.... But now we have seen so much cash spent, that when you add in the hidden and unreported costs of contract terminations, agent fees, signing on fees and taxes, we will have spent roughly what we got in, it sort of suggests there was nothing wrong with the finances.... Despite what hofstetter proclaimed pre sales....so what's the truth?

Yes we should be congratulatory of the board for supporting Koeman and helping rebuild the side... And that is great to see. However, that does NOT mean they were not naive and taken aback by the nature of the desired departures... I maintain they lost control of the situation and we could have been left with bare bones, had we not also had a been of fortune and paid over the odds (seriously what is Long all about?- if you question Cortese with Forren, Osvaldo and Ramierez, it's only fair to ask this question at 12Mil)

I said at the time I would much rather be wrong about the 'incompetence' displayed than proven right, and the good news as far as I am concerned is that it seems I will be wrong... As although early days, the sights are encouraging tha Ronald can mould this squad into a decent team... Not guaranteed yet, but promising nonetheless.

But it's still a fair comment to ask why dismantle a team that had more potential - with maybe one or two extras,- and go with a more risky approach which is to start again with players who we still don't know how they will fair?

The 'they all wanted to leave' argument does not tell the whole story IMHO - despite many on here seemingly happy to believe that it does.

So well done on the replacement front, let's hope they can gelland and deliver. But will we face the same situation next summer if they do, and will so many still be happy about it?

One of the best posts ever made on this forum - showing concern does not equate to spreading negativity.

Well done Bletch. I think you've provided plenty of context and perspective to explain the turbulent summer the Club has gone through. Any one who did not have some concern about the Board/Owners intentions for SFC during that WC period are impressive characters to be sure. At about the point Chambers went out the door the mood from an outsiders view had to be worried and dismayed, especially given the fanning of the flames by certain journalists and pundits.

For a time criticism and mistrust of the Board seemed reasonable enough. In the wash up though they have held their nerve; maintained late-in-the-window promises about player retention and picked up several handy recruits to bolster an increasingly strong squad.

One of the best posts ever made on this forum - showing concern does not equate to spreading negativity.

There's obviously nothing wrong with being concerned, but there's little need for post after post of negative drivel or for people to be personally insulting the people who run the club.

To be honest this summer made me far more concerned about the overall state of Premier League football than it did about Saints.