Man City target Jay Rodriguez

Batman

If Rodriguez doesn't sign the contract on the table by January we should cash in and sell him. He has his house in Wellow on the market. He is out of contract in less than two years. His injury dictates a slow rehabilitation. If we don't need him maybe rather than try to play him we should keep him on the side lines and let his buyer get him back to fitness. We won't have to worry about getting him back to form. If there is a deterioration in performance it won't come to light until after he transfers. IMO it looks like he isn't going to sign the contract.

You are assuming that JRod will be happy simply to watch Aguero, Dzeko, and Jovetic in training, and get an occasional close-up view of them in games from the bench, while making a lot of money of course, and getting the odd winner's medal for doing nothing. Maybe he is that kind of guy, but I doubt it.

That's a decent assessment, but overlooks one point. Without wishing to do a Pap and see conspiracies everywhere, I can't help thinking that the "big" clubs actually saw saints as a potential threat to themselves after last season, especially the dippers. What better way to minimize that threat than to buy up that clubs top players, regardless of cost? I'm not suggesting that we are any sort of immediate threat to citeh, but why would any prem club show an interest in buying a player who is out of action with a long term injury?

You are assuming that JRod will be happy simply to watch Aguero, Dzeko, and Jovetic in training, and get an occasional close-up view of them in games from the bench, while making a lot of money of course, and getting the odd winner's medal for doing nothing. Maybe he is that kind of guy, but I doubt it.

To be a top flight footballer you have to have absolute belief in your own ability. He won't be thinking " I'm not really good enough for Man City" , he will think he is , and will believe that he can get better and certainly be ahead of Dzeko and Jovetic.

As he has not yet signed the new contract he was offered by Saints you'ed assume he is weighing up all the options before making a decision.

It depends if he is motivated by money (as most who left in the summer were) or he wants to play football week in week out, cause if he signs for City he won't be playing alot and his career will be effectively standing still but his bank manager and accountant will be very happy people.

That said if will be a huge gamble for City to spend top money (as we should demand and get) for a player who could not be potentially the same player as before his injury.

I would like to think he would repay the club after looking after him and supporting him through his injury but nowadays as we've all witnessed at Saints particularly this transfer window there is no loyalty in football these days

If Rodriguez doesn't sign the contract on the table by January we should cash in and sell him. He has his house in Wellow on the market. He is out of contract in less than two years. His injury dictates a slow rehabilitation. If we don't need him maybe rather than try to play him we should keep him on the side lines and let his buyer get him back to fitness. We won't have to worry about getting him back to form. If there is a deterioration in performance it won't come to light until after he transfers. IMO it looks like he isn't going to sign the contract.

Being saying the same for a while if Man city want to pays us for a crocked player let him have them and the club moves on letting him leave on a free wouldn't be in the clubs interest at all.

They must be getting desperately short of home grown by now.

Shows how silly football has become. As clubs just bought the best foreigners, these rules get brought in. Now it seems that the richest clubs can buy the best foreign and domestic players, with the foreign ones getting preference. So the top 6 have potentially the best 50 or so home grown players with half of them warming the bench.....not what was intended.

I note that the lawyer who did Bosman is now challenging FFP.

Being saying the same for a while if Man city want to pays us for a crocked player let him have them and the club moves on letting him leave on a free wouldn't be in the clubs interest at all.

They wouldn't be paying us for a "crocked" player. They'd be paying for a very good and versatile forward.

He's got an ACL injury -- Not entirely comfortable with the term "mongboard", but that's what this is if anyone thinks Man City would buy a player recovering from an ACL injury until he has proved he is recovered.

The papers talk about him in the last window was hilarious.

It doesn't happen - It can't happen

Shows how silly football has become. As clubs just bought the best foreigners, these rules get brought in. Now it seems that the richest clubs can buy the best foreign and domestic players, with the foreign ones getting preference. So the top 6 have potentially the best 50 or so home grown players with half of them warming the bench.....not what was intended.

that's an interesting fact - any links to that..? i'd be interested in looking into the case they are arguing....

that's an interesting fact - any links to that..? i'd be interested in looking into the case they are arguing....

not a fact, just a supposition. 8 HG players needed x6 big teams.... I presumed that they would buy good players in case they were actually needed!! Then look at the number who start week in week out....So it might be complete rubbish. In fairness, Liverpool and Arsenal have a fair few HG players, but look at SRL. A bench player and now being talked about as a replacement for Sturridge tomorrow.

not a fact, just a supposition. 8 HG players needed x6 big teams.... I presumed that they would buy good players in case they were actually needed!! Then look at the number who start week in week out....So it might be complete rubbish. In fairness, Liverpool and Arsenal have a fair few HG players, but look at SRL. A bench player and now being talked about as a replacement for Sturridge tomorrow.

He meant the court case :)

he will.

as for his form, that depends on how RK uses him

Ok, back from the pub and the hog roast was awesome.

1. How do you know for sure that he will recover fully?

2. What difference does it matter how RK uses him? He will clearly be used as a striker. If, as you say the wonderful Manchester City are ofter him surely if he is played as a stiker the only thing that will affect his form is if he recovers fully ffom his injury or not?

Ok, back from the pub and the hog roast was awesome.

1. How do you know for sure that he will recover fully?

2. What difference does it matter how RK uses him? He will clearly be used as a striker. If, as you say the wonderful Manchester City are ofter him surely if he is played as a stiker the only thing that will affect his form is if he recovers fully ffom his injury or not?

1. im being optimistic. try it

2. of course it matters how he uses him. if he uses him as a back to the goal target man, he might not get the same amount of goals as he could if Jrod coming in from the left like last season.

Man City can offer him wages we could never dream of offering. We've reportedly offered him two deals to sign while he has been injured and he has chosen not to sign either. I suspect he has far more reasons to join Man City than to stay at Saints. If he gets a move to Man City, Liverpool, or Spurs then he will deem his move to Saints the right move for him at that stage of his career. Staying at Saints isn't really an option for any player when a bigger club comes in for them.

He will ruin his career but earn shed loads of money. Is that in Jay's character? Hope not.

wouldnt that be in your or my characters more money bigger club more likely to gain medals or win titles, thats why the bigger clubs stay bigger.So probably why not no loyalty except fan bases nowadays.

1. im being optimistic. try it

2. of course it matters how he uses him. if he uses him as a back to the goal target man, he might not get the same amount of goals as he could if Jrod coming in from the left like last season.

Optimism is hoping something will happen. You state categorically that he will fully recover. How do you know that for sure?

Dont you think that Koeman knows enough about football to get the best out of his players? You said you were optimistic - but not optimistic enough about how Koeman uses Jay it seems!

Optimism is hoping something will happen. You state categorically that he will fully recover. How do you know that for sure?

Dont you think that Koeman knows enough about football to get the best out of his players? You said you were optimistic - but not optimistic enough about how Koeman uses Jay it seems!

I have told you before. Everything I post is my opinion

I don't have the time nor the interest to prefix every post stating it is my opinion

From now on take all my posts as my opinion unless I state otherwise

Cheers

As for Koeman getting the best out of Rodriguez. Not too sure he will fit our new system as much as last year. Be hard to fit him, pelle, tadic and mane in the same team.

Be interesting to see how it pans out when Rodriguez is back and seemingly not going to sign a new contract. We shall see

Edited by Batman

Why don't they just sign an English kid off the dole queue. Can pay him £100 a week and he'll play as often as all their other English players.

That wouldn't quite be good enough:

18.10 A “club-trained player” is a player who, between the age of 15 (or the start of

the season during which he turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the season during

which he turns 21), and irrespective of his nationality and age, has been

registered with his current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire

seasons (i.e. a period starting with the first official match of the relevant

national championship and ending with the last official match of that relevant

national championship) or of 36 months.

18.11 An “association-trained player” is a player who, between the age of 15 (or the

start of the season during which the player turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the

season during which the player turns 21), and irrespective of his nationality

and age, has been registered with a club or with other clubs affiliated to the

same association as that of his current club for a period, continuous or not, of

three entire seasons or of 36 months.

They need to have actually been registered with a club during the relevant time frame. Of course, there would be tens of thousands of such people, but not every kid on the dole.

Very good point. Obviously the idea was to have more English players playing football each week, but soon we'll end up with the very best of them on top money at 'big' clubs, while only the more average Englishmen are getting regular football. If City were smart, they'd go out and buy a bunch of aging English players from league two, double their money to 1k a week. They'd be getting a bargain way of meeting their homegrown quota, while the players would likely appreciate the extra cash before they are due to retire.

How can they 'target' anybody? That's not supposed to happen, they're supposed to go through the club first and once the transfer window is closed there should be no talk about any other players.

"Hey, guys! I've got an idea. Let's employ a twenty strong scouting department and then only use them for four months a year!"

Targeting players is part and parcel of the game now. In fact, it has been for football and business as a whole for as long as I can remember. What's so outrageous about if for you?

How can they 'target' anybody? That's not supposed to happen, they're supposed to go through the club first and once the transfer window is closed there should be no talk about any other players.

You can target a player without approaching them. That's what the scouts do. They go out, find players they think will make a good addition to the squad, and then add them to the list of players the club would like to sign.

"Hey, guys! I've got an idea. Let's employ a twenty strong scouting department and then only use them for four months a year!"

Targeting players is part and parcel of the game now. In fact, it has been for football and business as a whole for as long as I can remember. What's so outrageous about if for you?

It's ok to scout for players and identify targets but announcing it to the national press is not. It unsettles the player and 'turns their head'. Tapping up is specifically against Premier League rules and there have been several famous incidents.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapping_up

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4599103.stm

It's ok to scout for players and identify targets but announcing it to the national press is not. It unsettles the player and 'turns their head'. Tapping up is specifically against Premier League rules and there have been several famous incidents.

We all do it as clubs.

Very good point. Obviously the idea was to have more English players playing football each week, but soon we'll end up with the very best of them on top money at 'big' clubs, while only the more average Englishmen are getting regular football. If City were smart, they'd go out and buy a bunch of aging English players from league two, double their money to 1k a week. They'd be getting a bargain way of meeting their homegrown quota, while the players would likely appreciate the extra cash before they are due to retire.

What do you mean soon!? I think James Milner already personifies the problem. And in the near future, it will be interesting to see how many of the English defenders actually play for their club (or eing more specific, how many of the Man U contingent of the England team play for their club team)

Who was that manager spouting off about how much he'd like that Aston Villa defender in his team?

And can you show me where MCFC have "announced" they want Jay Rod? Presumably this is a statement on their official website or something.

Not sure that Koeman was spouting off about Vlaar. MOre like he was asked a direct question and responded.

It is one thing for a club to be "linked" with a player and another for them to put in a bid. We were "linked" with Caluker for ages and only later did we hear that we were never in for him.

The window is shut at the moment so if Manchester City are interested the best they could do is try and get him on loan. Given that he cant play for some months yet that is not likely.

Jay is still under contract for some time so even if he does come back as good as he was and doesnt sign a contract, he cant go anywhere unless the club agree to sell him before his contract runs out.

Not sure what the fuss is about. Koeman has said he wants to build a team around him and Schneiderlin and if he is that determined neither will go until their contracts run out or the club changes its mind about keeping them.

Not sure that Koeman was spouting off about Vlaar. MOre like he was asked a direct question and responded.

It is one thing for a club to be "linked" with a player and another for them to put in a bid. We were "linked" with Caluker for ages and only later did we hear that we were never in for him.

The window is shut at the moment so if Manchester City are interested the best they could do is try and get him on loan. Given that he cant play for some months yet that is not likely.

Jay is still under contract for some time so even if he does come back as good as he was and doesnt sign a contract, he cant go anywhere unless the club agree to sell him before his contract runs out.

Not sure what the fuss is about. Koeman has said he wants to build a team around him and Schneiderlin and if he is that determined neither will go until their contracts run out or the club changes its mind about keeping them.

Okay, what was the fuss about with Vlaar you say. Fine.

So what have Manchester City actually done that you are upset about with JR? I can give you actual quotes from Koeman about Vlaar. What have you got from City then?

I am not in the least upset with Manchester City and if you read my posts here I have been having a pop at Delldays for bothering to start the thread.

Why shouldn't this thread be started?

In a no game week we have our top scorer linked with the champions

Why can't this be discussed on a saints forum?

I do not believe premier league teams can get players on loan outside of the transfer window.