Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 3-0 Everton

Saint-Armstrong

Man of The Match vs Everton (H)  

443 members have voted

1. 1. Man of The Match vs Everton (H)

There's a theory - not a completely far-fetched one either - that last season Martinez was able to rely on the defensive solidity that David Moyes had built, add his own attacking flair to it and it paid dividends, but this season the defence is starting to revert to the level he had at Wigan. The numbers do seem to back this theory up as well - they only conceded 39 goals in 38 games last season (scoring 61), whereas this time around they've already shipped 27 in just 17 games. They're probably not quite good enough going forward to be able to just blow teams away like Liverpool did last season despite an awful defence.

In Summary. Sylvain Distin.

There's a theory - not a completely far-fetched one either - that last season Martinez was able to rely on the defensive solidity that David Moyes had built, add his own attacking flair to it and it paid dividends, but this season the defence is starting to revert to the level he had at Wigan. The numbers do seem to back this theory up as well - they only conceded 39 goals in 38 games last season (scoring 61), whereas this time around they've already shipped 27 in just 17 games. They're probably not quite good enough going forward to be able to just blow teams away like Liverpool did last season despite an awful defence.

Martinez inherited a good but ageing defense - it certainly looked leggy against our pace on Saturday. In that regard, the lack of succession planning probably goes beyond him. It also hasn't helped that younger defenders like Stones have been injured.

Martinez inherited a good but ageing defense - it certainly looked leggy against our pace on Saturday. In that regard, the lack of succession planning probably goes beyond him. It also hasn't helped that younger defenders like Stones have been injured.

Not a surprise against the formation we played (and the players executed well) of you could say a sliding 5-5-4 when in play. It's good that both Nathaniel and Ryan have good engines to get up and down the flanks.

I think they expected better with their squad. Don't blame them for that

They do have a decent squad, but they have the extra demands of the Europa League to contend with, which is a competition they seem to be taking pretty seriously this year. Looking at the table, they still have a decent chance of making top 6 and are still in Europe, so it's ludicrous if their "fans" are calling for Martinez to be sacked.

I've no doubt we will have the same thing on here though with Koeman if we do make it to Europe next season and then show an understandable dip in form in the league.

I think that club posted them up this morning, check on the club's Youtube.

Unfortunately, because of the contract the club has with the website and Saints Player (and possibly the Premier League broadcasting deal prevents it as well), they're not allowed to put league highlights on YouTube. They've got two highlights clips on Saints Player today, one 10 minutes long (with PL commentary), the other 20 (with Radio Solent commentary).

Unfortunately, because of the contract the club has with the website and Saints Player (and possibly the Premier League broadcasting deal prevents it as well), they're not allowed to put league highlights on YouTube. They've got two highlights clips on Saints Player today, one 10 minutes long (with PL commentary), the other 20 (with Radio Solent commentary).
Maybe I'd imagined it, but I thought earlier in the season we'd put some highlights on Youtube from League games? Maybe not!

Maybe I'd imagined it, but I thought earlier in the season we'd put some highlights on Youtube from League games? Maybe not!

think you're thinking of highlights of the league cup games (sheffield game was conveniently forgotten though)

Anyone got a link to highlights? Still not seen them and MOTD2 doesn't seem to be on iplayer.

this was posted earlier in the thread: http://footyroom.com/southampton-3-0-everton-2014-12/

http://www.givemesport.com/532199-southamptons-flexibility-gives-ronald-koeman-added-option?autoplay=on pretty accurate summary. But in most of the press, I find it strange that Toby doesn't get a mention. He was my MotM and held everything together at the back without any fuss or flair.

the answer is all there, better you are,less you huff and puff and less you are noticed. He was out best performer on Saturday.

http://www.givemesport.com/532199-southamptons-flexibility-gives-ronald-koeman-added-option?autoplay=on pretty accurate summary. But in most of the press, I find it strange that Toby doesn't get a mention. He was my MotM and held everything together at the back without any fuss or flair.

He made team of the week in the Daily UKIP Express rag today, I thought he was MOTM as well, effectively playing like a sweeper just behind Jose and Yoshi. He really is a class player. I see that Garth Crooks put Yoshi in his team of the week, admitting that he didn't know anything about him, but that he would keep an eye out for the "lad" in the future.

He made team of the week in the Daily UKIP Express rag today, I thought he was MOTM as well, effectively playing like a sweeper just behind Jose and Yoshi. He really is a class player. I see that Garth Crooks put Yoshi in his team of the week, admitting that he didn't know anything about him, but that he would keep an eye out for the "lad" in the future.

Lol. Crooks and Merson are the punditry dream team.

If you're a defender and you score a goal, you get in Crooks' team.

Yep, saw that too. I think in Garth's head Yoshida has just burst on to the scene out of nowhere.

Before this thread vanishes into the mists of time. We were all enthralled with Mr Moss and his excellent execution of the art of refereeing.

We had Shane Long clattered in mid air, we had Shane Long taken out and despite the linos frantically waved flag it was waved away. Then we had the farce of waiting for Roberto to finish his meeting with drinks on the sideline (along with letting the treated player walk right across the pitch instead of to the nearest sideline) before resuming the game with a drop ball.

But did anyone else see him, after awarding us the free kick infront of the Itchen, draw his half moon round the ball then pace out 10 yards stop and tell the 1 man wall of Eto to move closer towards the ball before so he proceed draw the magic line infront of his boots: to my mind that was WTF!!........................ Surely he should have just drawn the line and just left Eto to make his own mind up to move or not?

Before this thread vanishes into the mists of time. We were all enthralled with Mr Moss and his excellent execution of the art of refereeing.

We had Shane Long clattered in mid air, we had Shane Long taken out and despite the linos frantically waved flag it was waved away. Then we had the farce of waiting for Roberto to finish his meeting with drinks on the sideline (along with letting the treated player walk right across the pitch instead of to the nearest sideline) before resuming the game with a drop ball.

But did anyone else see him, after awarding us the free kick infront of the Itchen, draw his half moon round the ball then pace out 10 yards stop and tell the 1 man wall of Eto to move closer towards the ball before so he proceed draw the magic line infront of his boots: to my mind that was WTF!!........................ Surely he should have just drawn the line and just left Eto to make his own mind up to move or not?

Yep. He was a complete f**ktard.

The worst ref this season and there has been plenty of competition.

Yep. He was a complete f**ktard.

The worst ref this season and there has been plenty of competition.

He was abysmal. The worst part was leaving ETO on the floor holding his head. Stopped, talked to him and allowed play to continue (Barkley had a shot) and then when we were in possession (from barkleys shot) he then stops play

The Shane long penalty thing was laughable. It was clearly not a corner (as it was a blatant penalty)

He was abysmal. The worst part was leaving ETO on the floor holding his head. Stopped, talked to him and allowed play to continue (Barkley had a shot) and then when we were in possession (from barkleys shot) he then stops play

The Shane long penalty thing was laughable. It was clearly not a corner (as it was a blatant penalty)

It was a blatant penalty and if not was a "blatant" goal kick. So 2 bad decisions in one. He did seem to have some personal issue with Shane Long, who was being fouled and kicked all over the park, and yet the ref ended up lecturing Long seemingly accusing him of cheating in some way.

If proof were needed that Moss was, by a country mile the worst ref we've seen this season...we're still complaining about him 4 days later after a 3 - 0 win! The Everton fan's forum was also revealing...up to the first goal they thought they were playing with 12 men on the pitch "the ref's wearing a blue shirt"