Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 3-0 Everton

Saint-Armstrong

Man of The Match vs Everton (H)  

443 members have voted

1. 1. Man of The Match vs Everton (H)

I am told by one of my business partners who regrettably is a Manure fan that Harrison Reed is already on their radar after the U21 win over them recently. He told me that a couple of their fanzines have already said they will be buying him at the end of the season. I laughed at this and he reminded me that the same fanzines had predicted they would be buying a certain left back from us after our game there last season.

Harrison Reed has been on Manure's radar since well before the U21 game. I think there were stories about that 12 months ago. It was also told to me by friends of his family last Summer that they are interested in him. They had no idea I was a Saints fan, just in case anyone thinks they were BS'ing me.

Manure will be monitoring other academy prospects too though, it doesn't mean Reed is going anywhere soon.

Harrison Reed has been on Manure's radar since well before the U21 game. I think there were stories about that 12 months ago. It was also told to me by friends of his family last Summer that they are interested in him. They had no idea I was a Saints fan, just in case anyone thinks they were BS'ing me.

Manure will be monitoring other academy prospects too though, it doesn't mean Reed is going anywhere soon.

reed would be an idiot if he went there in the summer

If we can get say £35 million for Reed it will be interesting to see who we get to replace him. Hopefully the scouts are on to it.

I am disgusted at the way Koeman has, in one game, ridden roughshod over the whole concept of the Southampton Way.

From youth teams through to the first team the model of our club is 4-3-3. And now what? This 'European flavour of the week' 3-5-2 nonsense? What message does this send out?

If my season ticket wasn't made from the type of plastic which most likely emits noxious fumes when burnt I'd set fire to it.

I am disgusted at the way Koeman has, in one game, ridden roughshod over the whole concept of the Southampton Way.

From youth teams through to the first team the model of our club is 4-3-3. And now what? This 'European flavour of the week' 3-5-2 nonsense? What message does this send out?

If my season ticket wasn't made from the type of plastic which most likely emits noxious fumes when burnt I'd set fire to it.

Less of a message than turning our back on the Academy for most of the season - good to see that change somewhat yesterday (if that kind of thing matters to you).

Edited by shurlock

One start and we are already talking about how much he will be sold for.

Dell sized mentality?

I know. I remember in summer there was some idiot who reckoned we should 'graciously drop out the League' because we didn't have a hope of staying up.

Some people on here eh...

I believe the reason we play 4-3-3 is that it is more adaptable, so that players learn necessary skills / understanding of various formations.

Why on earth would he do that? The reset point is just around the corner.

Scared of playing against his old club in the cauldron of atmosphere that is Selhurst Park.

My thing about the 3-5-2 was a joke btw. Should have finished it with a picture of the geezers handing back their season tickets but couldn't be bothered to find it on my phone.

I love Steven Davis. Yoshida was my motm as he didn't put a foot wrong and scored, but SD bossed the midfield and if Ronaldo had played that cross the whole world would be drooling over it.

According to the Sunday Sun, it was Bertrand. Pelle's came off a Ward-Prowse free kick too.

I love Steven Davis. Yoshida was my motm as he didn't put a foot wrong and scored, but SD bossed the midfield and if Ronaldo had played that cross the whole world would be drooling over it.

This what the Liverpool Echo said:

"Southampton were not made to work for them, they didn't have to be imaginative or beat Tim Howard with an outrageous piece of skill or shot.

Instead they just lumped crosses into the box and Everton wilted. Three times."

So much for Ronaldoesque crossing. I thought Clyne's crossing was pretty good too e.g. In the build up to the second.

Due to Barkley running around, going nowhere and refusing to pass to better placed teammates.

Someone else who sees through the hype. For a player that is supposed to be so good he has very little positive effects on games. How many goals and assists in 2014?

I thought Clyne's crossing was pretty good too e.g. In the build up to the second.

I thought Clyne's cross was marginally better as it was delivered whilst Baines was wrestling him. Not only did Clyne show great upper-body strength but he delivered the perfect cross, dragging it back from the goal line to a position 10 yards out, which didn't look possible from where I was sitting in The Chapel. Perfect for Long to drop it down for Pelle to put the finishing touch.

That's not to denigrate Davis, it was a lovely skill perfectly delivered...lucky to have seen two pieces of great skill rewarded with two goals :)

Edited by lifeintheslowlane

Great game, Long played out of his skin and if the ref wasnt so terrible we would have had a penalty and a few dangerous freekicks from the way he gave everton issues. One thing i havent seen picked up on is tim howard swiping at Pelle? Ref didnt see it so surely retrospective action to be taken there as it was way more than should be alowed from what i saw in the kingsland.

That isnt it, shows our weakness against the top sides

The stats reference last season's top sides. Currently Saints are above 5 of the 7 sides that finished last season above Saints. Performances this season against Liverpool, Arsenal, Manu, Tottenham were good and we have been very unlucky not to have taken points. First half against City was ok but eventually beaten by a better side.

The stats reference last season's top sides. Currently Saints are above 5 of the 7 sides that finished last season above Saints. Performances this season against Liverpool, Arsenal, Manu, Tottenham were good and we have been very unlucky not to have taken points. First half against City was ok but eventually beaten by a better side.

But we have only beaten one of last seasons top sides, if we have genuine ambitions for top 6 then that needs to improve.

But we have only beaten one of last seasons top sides, if we have genuine ambitions for top 6 then that needs to improve.

Frustrating not beating the big clubs but doesn't matter where you get your points. Arsenal show that as forever bottling in big games. Taking points off Swansea, West Ham and Newcastle could do as much as consolidating 6th as losing to City etc.

After having missed all our recent setbacks, as luck would have it, me and a Honda load of assorted mates + children were back at St Marys for this game - how the sun does shine on the righteous!

I thought this was a pretty mediocre show from both teams right up until the first goal went in (somewhat against the run of play) and from that point onwards we picked Everton off nicely as some much needed confidence visibly returned to our play - one of those games when you could see our 2nd and 3rd goals coming long before they actually hit the back of the net. People who claim to understand tactics tell me that the manager did well here.

A lot of the attention has naturally focused on young Harrison Reed (who also did well) but for me Steve Davis and Nat Clyne were our standout performers - Clyne in particular being perhaps one of the best RB's in the league at the moment methinks. Full marks go to Maya Yoshida too, he managed to avoid the disastrous 'cock-up' you kind of suspect is always lurking somewhere in his game and played well for his goal too - how I love seeing centre half's score.

So a good win from what was obviously a patched-up team then - we can only hope that this result sets us up for a decent xmas and new year.

After having missed all our recent setbacks, as luck would have it, me and a Honda load of assorted mates + children were back at St Marys for this game - how the sun does shine on the righteous!

I thought this was a pretty mediocre show from both teams right up until the first goal went in (somewhat against the run of play) and from that point onwards we picked Everton off nicely as some much needed confidence visibly returned to our play - one of those games when you could see our 2nd and 3rd goals coming long before they actually hit the back of the net. People who claim to understand tactics tell me that the manager did well here.

A lot of the attention has naturally focused on young Harrison Reed (who also did well) but for me Steve Davis and Nat Clyne were our standout performers - Clyne in particular being perhaps one of the best RB's in the league at the moment methinks. Full marks go to Maya Yoshida too, he managed to avoid the disastrous 'cock-up' you kind of suspect is always lurking somewhere in his game and played well for his goal too - how I love seeing centre half's score.

So a good win from what was obviously a patched-up team then - we can only hope that this result sets us up for a decent xmas and new year.

Nice summary

One additional comment.

It is interesting to see that whenever we do well against 'bigger' teams, their fans forums bemoan the fact that it is their teams worst display of the season and they should never lose to 'inferior' teams like Southampton.

The melt down on the Everton sites was quite interesting.

Poor old Roberto Martinez!!

Apparently we don't have one player that would get in the Everton line up, according to one poster!!

Nice summary

One additional comment.

It is interesting to see that whenever we do well against 'bigger' teams, their fans forums bemoan the fact that it is their teams worst display of the season and they should never lose to 'inferior' teams like Southampton.

The melt down on the Everton sites was quite interesting.

Poor old Roberto Martinez!!

Apparently we don't have one player that would get in the Everton line up, according to one poster!!

I had a good read through the match thread on the Everton "Grand Old Team" forum, cracked me up, particularly as the matey that starts those threads seems to have a real chip on his shoulder about our support, makes it even funnier. Loads and loads on there wanting Martinez to be sacked, loads questioning the commitment of their players, so much for the return of the "School of Science".

I had a good read through the match thread on the Everton "Grand Old Team" forum, cracked me up, particularly as the matey that starts those threads seems to have a real chip on his shoulder about our support, makes it even funnier. Loads and loads on there wanting Martinez to be sacked, loads questioning the commitment of their players, so much for the return of the "School of Science".

Been having a look myself. What is it with football fans and their inability to see past 2 or 3 quickfire results? They're being dragged into a relegation battle apparently, and they don't have the players in the trenches to avoid the drop if they get dragged in.

I think most people on the outside with sane thinking can see that Everton will never be near relegation, just top 10 as usual. Not sure what they expect, they're in the same boat as us. That blasted glass ceeling...

Been having a look myself. What is it with football fans and their inability to see past 2 or 3 quickfire results? They're being dragged into a relegation battle apparently, and they don't have the players in the trenches to avoid the drop if they get dragged in.

I think most people on the outside with sane thinking can see that Everton will never be near relegation, just top 10 as usual. Not sure what they expect, they're in the same boat as us. That blasted glass ceeling...

I think they expected better with their squad. Don't blame them for that

There's a theory - not a completely far-fetched one either - that last season Martinez was able to rely on the defensive solidity that David Moyes had built, add his own attacking flair to it and it paid dividends, but this season the defence is starting to revert to the level he had at Wigan. The numbers do seem to back this theory up as well - they only conceded 39 goals in 38 games last season (scoring 61), whereas this time around they've already shipped 27 in just 17 games. They're probably not quite good enough going forward to be able to just blow teams away like Liverpool did last season despite an awful defence.