Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 3-0 Everton

Saint-Armstrong

Man of The Match vs Everton (H)  

443 members have voted

1. 1. Man of The Match vs Everton (H)

Excellent win, excellent tactics and Harrison Reed just shaded it for me as MOM closely followed by Long.

One down side.....Fonte misses Crystal Palace after collecting his 5th booking. Down to 2 centre backs now.

Think Gardos is available as only had a one match ban.

Might not be too bad as Fonte gets a break and will be fresh for Chelsea. Only having one day in between matches is mad so we may have rested a couple anyway.

B5UMGXfCAAA2K3B.jpg:large

Courtesy of @tsedge on Twitter.

That is truly an amazing photo!

I was at the game and I don't understand how you catured a photo like that!

Respect!!!

Anyway, what a great game. If I were a gambling man, I would have get on us to get slaughtered

But that was a fantastic effort. We werewithout many of our main players. JWP and Harison Reed were not boys in our team. They were men!

I'm very happy with our prospects in the future with JWP and HR!!

What a great performance. Tactically perfect. 3-5-2 worked a treat and the two up front caused Everton all sorts of problems.

Shane Long played like the £12m player we bought. Reed was exceptional.

Great to see the youngsters contribute so well.

That Forster save was out of this world too! Great day. COYR!!!!

That's better Saints.

Harry Reed, Yosh and Shane were tremendous today, Alderweireld is a class act.

This formation engages the whole team more than playing two wide men in front of full backs who bomb forward.

When was the last time we were above Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham at Christmas ?

COYR

Very solid today. Looked a completely different team to the one which lost insipidly on Tuesday.

Good call from Koeman to play that formation because it allowed Clyne and Bertrand license to push forward and keep their full backs quiet while giving Long the chance to use his pace in more effective areas.

Now looking forward to watching MOTD for the first time in a while.

Absolutely superb result. Certainly didn't see that one coming. My only criticism is that we didn't try that formation a few weeks ago as it was obvious that the usual 4-3-3 wasn't working.

Another tough game on the horizon and another suspension to deal with, however, Maya had a superb game today and another performance like that should see us right.

Wow. Heard nothing of the game, were we good or did Everton play poorly?

Bit of both. They were tidy and had more of the ball but didnt have a creative spark and we defended really well.

Other end they didnt deal well with Long and conceded three goals they would consider pretty poor.

Think we deserved to win but it wasnt really a 3-0 game if that makes sense.

Always liked the 352 formation when played well and koeman is the man to make the team play it right. Interesting to see if he changes it now, even with Fonte out you could place Vic in defence as the sweeper or try Gardos in there. Put Morgan back in midfield to replace Davis as i thought Reed played really well and deserves time (also allows to keep Davis fresh the the bigger games, rotation does not hurt).

Now here is the question, if Koeman sticks with the 352 system and we have a fully fit squad and no-one leave in Jan, what would be our best players in that formation?

Anyone who doesn't give Shane long motm is a serious **** wit. First half the man gave a masterclass in doing the absolute best you can .

Toby was different class and well done to Harrison Reed.

I realised today what a fantastic manager Ron is, he changed the shape and got a great result .

Great Xmas present

An excellent team performance - the plan B we have been crying out for.

Yoshida made that third goal, and to think he wasn't even sure if he should go up for the preceeding corner!

Did anyone else notice after he'd scored, Alderweireld grabbed the ball and booted it out the ground... superb.

PS. Forster's save from Lukaku's thunderbolt was top drawer from our viewpoint in the Itchen.

Ah it was Toby, thought seemed most un-Yoshida-like lol.

Well changing the system today to accommodate the players he had available and then to get the win was pretty impressive. Nice to see a manager with a plan B........

Yet Martinez said we did it to try and tackle their system and they couldn't defend it haha

Looking at both team sheets before the kick-off, it appeared as if we could get a tonking. Our midfield had been decimated with the absences of Wanyama, Schneiderlin and Cork and on paper at least, Everton have some real quality in their team. But Reed's opportunity of a first full start excited me, as everything I've seen of him up to now suggested that he would not be overawed by the occasion and by the final whistle, I had him as MOTM. Reed is really Davis MK2 in many ways, temperamentally as well as appearance wise and both of them with James Ward-Prowse helped win the midfield battles, closing down the Everton players, denying them the space that they needed to be effective.

Koeman got it bang-on tactically today, the three CBs solid throughout, allowing Clyne and Bertrand to get forward out wide and the two up front caused Everton all sorts of problems, Pelle the big man muscling the defence with great arial ability and hold-up play and Long the outlet for the ball over the top or into the channels with pace that was hard for Everton to handle.

Despite the referee doing his utmost to give Everton an advantage, we were without doubt the better team and could have had more than three goals, with chances to score right up to the final whistle. On several occasons when we have a win like this, the key is perhaps that several players feature highly in the MOTM poll, pointing to a real team effort. Although we might not have individual players to match those in the glory clubs, it is possible to match them as a cohesive unit when so many play their part. It really was difficult to look back at the match and point a finger at anybody as a weak link.

I look forward to watching Match of the Day to see what the pundits make of Long's penalty claim, which if allowed, would surely have seen Jagielka red-carded.

Me too. It wouldn't have been a red card because Long was running across goal and not towards it.

I agree with the rest of your comments.

the penalty that became a corner, that those around me thought, corner ffs if its not a pen then its a goal kick!!!!!,, ref today was the only poor performance on the pitch