Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 3-0 Everton

Saint-Armstrong

Man of The Match vs Everton (H)  

443 members have voted

1. 1. Man of The Match vs Everton (H)

Mane not being in the team helped. He needs some time away, the team was so much better.

I've criticised Long but he was excellent today and we were far more direct and Everton couldn't cope with that.

Harrison Reed and Maya Yoshida both had excellent games, as did Davis, Clyne, Bertrand and Toby.

Pelle looked a handful once more and it benefited us resting Tadic, hopefully he will come back fitter and fresher.

Much better than Tuesday, much needed too. MOTM Yoshida.

Would have preferred much more of the ball but we defended well, even if it was 11 men behind the ball for a lot of it. We took our chances when they came which is pleasing and restricted them to very little in the mean time. Yoshida is so much better than Gardos it's unreal. Ratings below.

Forster - Didn't really have much to do, but did his job well when called upon (7/10)

Clyne - Solid. Played the wing-back role well and kept Baines fairly quiet which isn't easy (7/10)

Fonte - Much better than Tuesday - looks a different player with Toby/Maya alongside him. Great challenge made in first half (7/10)

Alderweireld - Very decent display, lead from the back and helped keep Lukaku quiet. One of his best games so far (8/10)

Yoshida - Deserves more playing time. Took his goal well (9/10)

Betrand - Another who improved massively on Tuesday's performance. (6/10)

Reed - What a debut. May not need to sign another CM in Jan based upon that. (8/10)

JWP - Looked knackered after about 20 minutes, passing as always immaculate, looked a bit naive going forward (6/10)

Davis - Most under-rated player in the league. Superb (8/10)

Long - Busy and caused a few problems for their backline, unlucky not to get a penalty (6/10)

Pelle - took his goal well and lead the line well, not easy against their defence (7/10)

Target - Didn't really do much, or have much to do, solid (6/10)

Gape - Nice few touches, too little time to make an impact (6/10)

A rocket up their collective arses from Koeman I would venture

Difficult to say, Everton moved the ball around a bit up to about the hour but they had bugger all at the front, albeit because our defence looked good but a bit toothless all the same. Lukaku was pîss poor and as for Et'oo well he'd be better off at a post office somewhere cashing his pension, just absent..

Really pleased for Yoshida. He has taken some right stick on this forum, but today was his best game in a saints shirt.

Harry Reed looked tidy, much fewer sloppy passes in midfield than recently.

Shane Long looks so much better as a Central striker with Pelle

JWP dead ball situations just so much better with him on the pitch

Sat in the car after the game

Times in the first half and less so in the 2nd was like we were the away side

But tell you what, we battled for that.

Everyone played well

Shouts to reed, Davis JWP

MoM for me, long. Thought he was brilliant today.

Also, that was a plan B. 3 at the back was alright to be fair

Oh, the ref was horrendous !!!

Edited by Batman

Really pleased for Yoshida. He has taken some right stick on this forum, but today was his best game in a saints shirt.

Harry Reed looked tidy, much fewer sloppy passes in midfield than recently.

Shane Long looks so much better as a Central striker with Pelle

JWP dead ball situations just so much better with him on the pitch

agree long looked so much better as a central striker

Terrific tactics and selection from Koeman to pin Baines and Coleman back using wing backs. Reed, Yoshida and Alderweireld particularly strong in a new system.

Everton were trousers but we grew into that game very nicely. Searching for a vine of that Targett pass.

Great win against 12 men. Ref was inept.

All credit to Koeman and the centre backs for implementing a new system so well.

I said in the build up that we should play a front two with Lon and Pelle. And low, I was correct.

Reed looked well up to the task.

Yoshida my man of the match but Fonte and Alderweireld deserve great credit too.

A magnificent team selection and game plan. Delighted to see Shane Long playing how he should be playing and Pelle having the space to play his game.

Bursting with pride for Harrison Reed' debut, he should have be used weeks ago. 6 games too late to have avoided the bip and retain the points. Masterly performance where he fitted in nicely and will give us belief when players are injured or spuspended.

A big thank you to James Beattie for being at St Mary's today. He really is our lucky charm and was greatly missed at the games we lost.

What a difference we were without Mané screwing everything up.

Just back from the game.

What a cracking result!

I thought the three at the back worked really well. It gave Bertrand and Clyne much more freedom to get forward and we look a much more dangerous side when that happens.

Good performances all round really. I thought Davis had a poor first half but much better in the second.

JWP was obviously shattered after about 50 minutes.

Harrison Reed had a great game in the holding midfield role. Really tenacious and quite quick. Tidy with the ball.

Long and Pelle both had excellent games. Nice to see us playing two up front for a change.

A couple of good saves from Forster, particularly from the Lukaku curling effort.

MOTM for me was Yoshida. A good display capped with a brilliant goal. Take a bow.

I'm not usually one to moan about referees but today he was an enormous pile of steaming turd. I have never heard so many boos for a ref. Appalling.

Merry Christmas Saints fans everywhere!

Playing with 3 CB's we conceded position on the pitch and defended a lot deeper than of late, but the formation (out of nowhere) worked a treat and nullified Everton.

Harry Reed ran himself into the ground thought he had a great game and so good to see Steve (under-rated) Davis) playing the elder statesman as well as a solid game. Pelle looked much better with Long running off him which the formation let us do.

The Arabic Commentator was convinced Everton should have had 3 Red Cards in the 1st half, Wrestling match by Distin - not even a FK, High Studs up lunge on Reed by Besic & Jagielka kicking Shane Long into Row Z when he was past him. So poetic justice for the own goal.

Loved the whole battling performance, JWP again showed that with time he will be the next Beckham, but then Steve Davis's cross for Maya's goal was a peach. Frazer Forster with another couple of cracking saves (one of them a worldy) - having watched Boruc on Wednesday I know who I want in our goal now, end of.

MOTM Maya. Not just for his goal but for again stepping in and proving he is a class CB at this level with a run of games, just not as good as Toby.

Merry bloody Christmas everyone.

Oh and apart from KD nobody on our bench looked over 12 years old FFS! (in fact was KD older than all the other 6 players on the bench? )

Oh well done to Dominic Gape, in his short time couple of nice touches & tackles. The look on his face when he was coming on was priceless.

#meltdownover #WeMarchOn #UCLherewecome

Well well well that was a surprise, a great one as I couldn't see us getting anything more than a draw out of this one.

Such a damn shame about Tuesday but you have to say overall it's been a fantastic first half of the season.

Mayve that's the result that will give us a 2nd wind.

Great result. We did to Everton what Citeh did to us: negate their full backs and cram the midfield with terriers in front of a solid defence. Maya answered his detractors with a faultless performance capped by a great headed goal. Toby, Davis and Long v.good; also FF and Reed. In the few moments he had, Gape looked composed. JWP looked knackered. And Clyne and Bertrand did their job to a T. Shame about Fonte's card but better to miss Palarse than the next matches. Good fighting spirit today, much better than on Tuesday. We should play the Academy graduates more often. Another three points in south London please.

I wonder if Koeman will persist with the formation but put in Schneiderlin and Wanyama instead of Reed and JWP. While I thought everyone played well today I thought we often looked like we needed a bit more protection of the back 3. Morgan, Wanyama and Jack Cork are all very good at picking up the pieces and breaking up play. We looked a bit vulnerable through the middle at times.

Thankfully the defence were superb and Fraser exceptional when needed. Great result.

Forster - Didn't really have much to do, but did his job well when called upon. 7/10

Very harsh assessment when you consider that both teams had 3 shots on target, we scored 3 goals, and Forster made 3 absolutely terrific saves. MOTM for me.

An excellent team performance - the plan B we have been crying out for.

Yoshida made that third goal, and to think he wasn't even sure if he should go up for the preceeding corner!

Did anyone else notice after he'd scored, Alderweireld grabbed the ball and booted it out the ground... superb.

PS. Forster's save from Lukaku's thunderbolt was top drawer from our viewpoint in the Itchen.

Wasn't convinced we were going to get anything from the game, but WTF. Best game of the season and more enjoyable than Sunderland.

Koeman got it spot on. 3 full backs plus the 2 wing backs. Toby was immense and held it all together. Reed - great debut and didn't let his size get in the way against Lukaku. Long as usual ran his socks off. All round great show.

A magnificent team selection and game plan. Delighted to see Shane Long playing how he should be playing and Pelle having the space to play his game.

Bursting with pride for Harrison Reed' debut, he should have be used weeks ago. 6 games too late to have avoided the bip and retain the points. Masterly performance where he fitted in nicely and will give us belief when players are injured or spuspended.

A big thank you to James Beattie for being at St Mary's today. He really is our lucky charm and was greatly missed at the games we lost.

What a difference we were without Mané screwing everything up.

Beatts was at last home game and Arsenal away so not too much of a lucky charm!

Defending extremely well. Yoshida's best game in a Saints shirt. Toby, Fonte and Reed very good but my MOTM was Davis, we really miss him when he's not there. Class cross for the 3rd goal too.

Long lively, should have been awarded that penalty.

Everton were poor but still dangerous and we had to be on it. Big win ahead of the next few games.