Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 3-0 Everton

Saint-Armstrong

Man of The Match vs Everton (H)  

443 members have voted

1. 1. Man of The Match vs Everton (H)

Lots of good performances, but the pass of the match had to be from Davis for the 3rd goal.. exquisite

Agreed - how good was Davis all game - led an inexperienced midfield and stepped right up in Schneiderlin and Wanyama's absence.

Also thought Long gave a masterclass in how to run the channels, stretch a defence and create space for other attackers. His best performance since he joined us.

Wanted to write this on a week where we won as to not sound like a winging little sh*t, but the standard of refs this year has been a disgrace and not just in our games. Today our ref was dreadful, the gabby red card in the man u game was a disgrace and this goes on time and time again, week after week this year. I know refs have always had it tough, and usually im first to defend them as they only get to see the incident once, but this year has been particularly bad. hopefully it will pick up soon.

Stonewall penalty. Ironically we would probably have missed it, yet we scored the corner.

Everton remind me of Wigan a bit (funny that). Some good play in possession and they are decent to watch but naive and prone to letting in simple goals. A bit like us in our first season up.

Having feared the worst about today as I drove home via Harlow (to drop off my work colleague who I had cruelly dragged to the game) in the pouring rain after an empty performance on Tuesday, as the week trudged on the gloom seemed to lift in my mind. What I saw today was far above my expectations.

Great formation 5-3-1-1 flowing into 3-5-1-1 very smart move to stop the rot. Harry Reed for me had a great game, it was like Koeman had him caged up restricted to running up and down the side lines with a day-glo bib on then today set him free. He like a wasp buzzing about to the point where Everton tried to kick him out of the game just before Half time. On this the referee was bloody appalling today but then when you know what a bellend his boss is hardly a surprise. After we went to 2-0 we were reset to the Saints we have been use to this season.

Highlight of the day was Yoshidas goal, in space get the ball pass the ball out to Davis run into the box for a very nice 1-2 into the back of the net.

A decent bottle of wine came out of the "cellar" tonight rather than going straight onto the hard stuff, well done Saints.

Anyone who doesn't give Shane long motm is a serious **** wit. First half the man gave a masterclass in doing the absolute best you can .

Toby was different class and well done to Harrison Reed.

I realised today what a fantastic manager Ron is, he changed the shape and got a great result .

Great Xmas present

Agreed, I'm a fan of Long. Although I've got to sing the praises of the three players I do every week - Alderweireld, Bertrand and Clyne, excellent players.

Koeman got his tactics spot on, changed things around and three at the back worked a treat. Everton might not have been at their best, but they're no mugs, quality in every position and considering the team we had out, that really was a great result.

All the credit has to go to Koeman. The same formation that arguably Man U are still to come to terms with was adopted over the course of two training sessions - either our players are simply more intelligent or we have the superior Dutch manager :)

Great performances from Maya and Davis but Long was outstanding - showed real menace the whole game and was clearly more comfortable playing off the big man.

All Good!

Difficult to say, Everton moved the ball around a bit up to about the hour but they had bugger all at the front, albeit because our defence looked good but a bit toothless all the same. Lukaku was pîss poor and as for Et'oo well he'd be better off at a post office somewhere cashing his pension, just absent..

:lol: exactly!

Good result. Thought we were due a win. Think a few, mainly delldays, need to go back and look at the build up thread comments and learn something.

Says a lot but disappointed to be below west ham and man utd this stage. Both limited sides IMO and we are usually better. Just have to keep churning up wins and see what happens.

Why pick on me. There were loads of posters who thought we would get beat.

Especially after the loss to sheff United

Was a pleasure to be at the game yesterday

Because after Alpine you are the most negative poster on here and lately he has been very reasonable unlike yourself IMHO of course.

I'm not though am I. I have been pretty down the line compared to many in here

Just stated before this game (like countless others) that I thought everton would beat us with so many players missing

There are plenty..... Plenty who are full of doom and gloom

ref was awful 1st half just awful, no 50/50s going our way at all, wasdown other end or but

saints enjoyed playing 3 at the back all day) -dunno why it was described as back to 'OUR BACK 5' on MOTD, just because our wb/fb attacked played on higher up today, like last couple of seasons, lots out today, fantastic effort from team and the young uns today considering who we had misssing, just

seemed really well organised including subs, and we stil have chin chan

Still buzzing after that result. Can't beat feeling of winning but much better when didn't have any hope. And was only pessimistic as so many out.

What has happened to Everton fans? Less noise than teh 73 Tranmere fans from a few years back

Prepare for increased blood pressure:

Letting Everton carry on with one of their players down, then ordering Forster to put the ball out of play as soon as we got the ball.

That was the most ridiculous decision ever. Fuming. The refs first half was absolutely shocking

Today we played our game. In midweek Sheffield stopped us playing our game and credit should go to Clough.

Forster was outstanding today and should have received more votes.

Reed did his Job and was very energetic, he wasn't outstanding, he didn't boss the midfield, he did close down very well and made the game tight in midfield. He held his position with maturity. He was never MOM. I like him as a player, but he needs to show more for a pass. He needs to lose his marker and find space. I thought he was hiding a little. Very good debut.

I've just re-watched the last few minutes from when Gape came on. You can almost hear his brain ticking! ;) He did very well in the short spell that he had.

I have been getting a bit bored by all the talk of our academy, but I have to admit, I get a swell of pride when I see our youngsters introduced in big games like this.

Forster was outstanding today and should have received more votes.

Reed did his Job and was very energetic, he wasn't outstanding, he didn't boss the midfield, he did close down very well and made the game tight in midfield. He held his position with maturity. He was never MOM. I like him as a player, but he needs to show more for a pass. He needs to lose his marker and find space. I thought he was hiding a little. Very good debut.

Forster produced a couple of good saves, one of which was tremendous. But otherwise, he was largely a spectator.

Regarding whether Reed deserved MOTM, there are certainly good reasons for him to be a decent shout for it. Wasn't he outstanding? I thought that considering that he was there to fill Wanyama and Schneiderlin's boots, the job that he did at stifling Everton's midfield together with Davis meant that the two of them bossed the midfield. One couldn't do that without the other. They both broke up play, closed down the midfield so that Everton could not settle into any sort of rythm. He and Davis were the foundations on which the wide players and strikers could launch their attacks. Davis has produced reliable performances virtually every game, but the fact that Reed was thrown in at the deep end and produced such a mature performance against such quality opposition is the reason why his contribution can reasonably be assessed as MOTM.

Forster produced a couple of good saves, one of which was tremendous. But otherwise, he was largely a spectator.

Regarding whether Reed deserved MOTM, there are certainly good reasons for him to be a decent shout for it. Wasn't he outstanding? I thought that considering that he was there to fill Wanyama and Schneiderlin's boots, the job that he did at stifling Everton's midfield together with Davis meant that the two of them bossed the midfield. One couldn't do that without the other. They both broke up play, closed down the midfield so that Everton could not settle into any sort of rythm. He and Davis were the foundations on which the wide players and strikers could launch their attacks. Davis has produced reliable performances virtually every game, but the fact that Reed was thrown in at the deep end and produced such a mature performance against such quality opposition is the reason why his contribution can reasonably be assessed as MOTM.

agreed and to suggest he was hiding a little is just plain mental.

I am told by one of my business partners who regrettably is a Manure fan that Harrison Reed is already on their radar after the U21 win over them recently. He told me that a couple of their fanzines have already said they will be buying him at the end of the season. I laughed at this and he reminded me that the same fanzines had predicted they would be buying a certain left back from us after our game there last season.

I thought Shane Long was very good with no protection from the clueless referee - Championship for him next week.

A merry Christmas to all Saints fans everywhere including all bedwetters and wristslitters