Goalkeeper Situation

Saint Charlie

If Gazza and KD are perceived at a similar level I would play Gazza every time, he is very young for a GK and can only improve with game time. Plus his kicking is actually quite good which is pretty important in the premier league whereas KDs from what I hear kept putting us on the back foot saturday.

It is amazing that KD kick was so poor that it took 2phases of play before the ball got to the forward to be one on one to score.

oh yes and not only the kick being poor, him diving and not standing up straight ( according to to one of the football geniuses on here) was his fault as well. No doubt his kicking and actually being on the pitch has caused the Syria refugee crisis.

Cosmics post above is absolutely spot on, Lallana jumping ship etc is probably correct, we would only take loyalty for granted.

No doubt KD is now not up to being a PL player but he has never not given us 100%

Davis' low kick gave the ball to a Premier League midfielder in 10 yards of space, and 95% of them would be able to pick a dangerous pass with that time and space. That meant the team was still caught in transition when Drinkwater passed to Dyer. The moments when Saints didn't know who was closing Dyer, which came from the unexpectedly poor kick, gave him the time to pick a through ball to Vardy. The defence was further up the pitch than they would have been in open play because it was a set piece (our goal kick), and with Yoshida dropping in too soon and in no position to affect play, Vardy was onside whilst being goalside of Van Dijk, and able to score.

So it was basically 95% down to Kelvin's kick and the implications of that in terms of positioning and Yoshida's poor defending, and 5% Van Dijk for getting wrong side - which wouldn't have mattered if Yoshida hadn't been too deep. With hindsight Van Dijk should have taken a red card, but that wouldn't really help us against Liverpool.

Edited by The9

If Gazza and KD are perceived at a similar level I would play Gazza every time, he is very young for a GK and can only improve with game time. Plus his kicking is actually quite good which is pretty important in the premier league whereas KDs from what I hear kept putting us on the back foot saturday.

I can only assume he's not playing well for the U21s and they want to protect him. Hoping Stekelenburg is back Sunday anyway.

I expect the club has a budget and sticks to that budget, maybe the owners don't want to just magic up £3-£5 million plus wages to hire someone just for back up who may never play. So why did we pay **** loads for Shane Long?

Shane Long played in 39 games for Saints last season (32 of those in the Premier League) and has played in 8 games so far this season.

Davis' low kick gave the ball to a Premier League midfielder in 10 yards of space, and 95% of them would be able to pick a dangerous pass with that time and space. That meant the team was still caught in transition when Drinkwater passed to Dyer. The moments when Saints didn't know who was closing Dyer which came from the unexpectedly poor kick gave him the time to pick a through ball to Vardy. The was defence further up the pitch than they would have been in open play because it was a set piece (our goal kick), and with Yoshida dropping in too soon and in no position to affect play, Vardy was onside whilst being goalside of Van Dijk, and able to score.

So it was basically 95% down to Kelvin's kick and the implications of that in terms of positioning and Yoshida's poor defending, and 5% Van Dijk for getting wrong side - which wouldn't have mattered if Yoshida hadn't been too deep. With hindsight Van Dijk should have taken a red card, but that wouldn't really help us against Liverpool.

Spot on - if he had even put more width on it then we may have got away with it.

Shane Long played in 39 games for Saints last season (32 of those in the Premier League) and has played in 8 games so far this season.

If we had been able to bring Long on for the last 20 minutes that might haven shaken them up a bit, alas.

Interestingly the Echo gave Davis 7 out of 10, top best player and 3 points better than Tadic and Victor. You may think that was a misprint but I find it no more extreme than than some of the views about his performance the other way on here.

The papers I read gave him 5 out of 10, which I thought was generous.

Spot on - if he had even put more width on it then we may have got away with it.

I'm fairly sure it didn't go where he aimed it, but the low trajectory gave everyone a lot less time to react than the long, high kicks aimed at Pelle we've got used to from Stekelenburg and Forster before him.

I can only assume he's not playing well for the U21s and they want to protect him. Hoping Stekelenburg is back Sunday anyway.

Gazzaniga seems to play alternating games with the up-and-coming Harry Isted. So far this season Gazzaniga has kept goal 3 times (W0 D2 L1)

whilst Isted has been on the winning side in all his 3 games. (W3 D0 L0)

I've absolutely nothing against KD (a loyal club man and inspiration in the dressing room - we are told), but he is not Prem. class and the newly-extended contract for Gazzaniga shows that the club still thinks he has a future. He's over 21 and should be in the " big boys league" but hasn't proven it yet to anyone's satisfaction.

He is in that vacuum that Bart was in at one time......too old for the U21's ....but nowhere near the Prem. bench qualitywise.

KD will retire next summer.....Gazzaniga has his new contract and time to improve. My suggestion is to keep on Stekelenburg after Forster returns (surely only a couple of million fee to Fulham), and we will not only have experienced cover, but real competition for Forster and an alternative in case of injury, suspension or loss of form.

It is amazing that KD kick was so poor that it took 2phases of play before the ball got to the forward to be one on one to score.

oh yes and not only the kick being poor, him diving and not standing up straight ( according to to one of the football geniuses on here) was his fault as well. No doubt his kicking and actually being on the pitch has caused the Syria refugee crisis.

Cosmics post above is absolutely spot on, Lallana jumping ship etc is probably correct, we would only take loyalty for granted.

No doubt KD is now not up to being a PL player but he has never not given us 100%

But that's the whole point. The club should have ponied up for a decent PL quality back up keeper. Not a top class keeper, but a solid back up. Just like virtually every other PL club has been able to do.

And no, Stek isn't our current back up. He's our number 1 at least until the new year, and very possibly the whole season.

Could we tempt Brad Friedel out of retirement to help fill in? There are keepers who can still do a job in their later years, Schwarzer, Friedel, but sadly not Kelvin. He was only ever a decent 2nd tier keeper, never top class. Nice guy, but never as good as any other keeper we've had in the top flight. Even Brucie G was far far better. Bring back Bruce!

YFWIW I think Stekelenburg is currently a better all round keeper than Forster, but if Forster can improve his weaknesses (mostly ball juggling, speed of thought and decision on balls outside the 6 yard box) he's got a presence and physical build that Stekelenburg just doesn't.

Agreed.

So, back in July, Leicester Saint posted this:

We do need another goalkeeper - that is clear.

And here is Clint Brain Fry's response to it:

No we don't and clearly we won't be signing another one.

Jump forward a mere three months and Clint posts this:

The point is, regardless of Forster's injury, is our second/third choice keepers are sh it. It's now conclusive that Gazza is not up to it if he can't get picked in front of a 39 year old who was not up to it at his peak. That's the point.

Stek in for Forster is a straight swap this season. Not difficult.

So, genius, were you wrong then or are you wrong now?

Also if, as you apparently now believe, our only fit keepers are so sh it who is going to want to sign them and pay their wages? I mean, it's so easy to ship them off elsewhere right?

And yes, the drivel keeps coming......

The drivel keeps coming.

Kelvin stayed at Saints to play, and he didn't move to WHU because he wanted to be playing, not reserve keeper. Awfully sorry that makes so upset but there you go.

Stop obsessing about Kelvin's contract signed in 2013 when he was four years older and SFC was in a completely different situation. Not relevant, stop asking questions about it. Weird.

Kelvin's Premier League record at Saints - 10, 2, 7 appearances. First choice me up.

And after all that, you don't want Paulo either. Comedy gold.

Funny that. Maybe we should have shipped him out in the summer and/put Kelvin out to grass, but obviously all of that ranks alongside the water fuelled car as the world's greatset challenges.

True to form, instead of answering a simple question you try to evade the issue. This is always the way when someone knows they are full sh it.

You do not know Kelvin and have no way of knowing exactly what went in reference to the proposed WHU move. You tried to pass some things off as fact with a quote that in no way backed up your assertion. Quell surprise! Oh, and as it happens, I do know a bit more as a relative of mine is a close friend of Kelvin and his family. However, I will never betray their trust by passing on anything I hear to the likes of you.

As for not my not wanting Paulo, please point out where I said that. All I said ws that at present there are many other keepers who I would rather we had between the sticks on a match day. Players such as Cech, de Gea, et al. Do you disagree with this? Do you still think, as you did in July, that we don't need to sign another keeper when the opportunity arises?

He was possibly our first choice keeper from August to October 2012 (though Gazza also got a look in), when the Club belatedly realised the obvious and brought in Boruc. So thats 3 years since Saints realised Kelv was not good enough, and yet he is still seen as 2nd choice, and our 3rd choice who we have given a new extended contract to is still here and still is not deemed better than Kelv. It is a shocking indictment of Saints perspective on the goalkeeping position.

Thanks Vectis. So, you do seem to believe that = for a short time at least - Kelvin was our number in the prem. But, wait, that would mean Clint Brains was wrong. Surely not!

as for point 2, that is not the reason he didnt join WHU. He was about to sign when NC spoke to him and asked him to stay and be a part of the clubs future growth. i know that for a fact as at the time i had a decne contact at the club

Nick, are you saying Clint Brains was wrong too? What is happening here??

Could we tempt Brad Friedel out of retirement to help fill in? There are keepers who can still do a job in their later years, Schwarzer, Friedel, but sadly not Kelvin. He was only ever a decent 2nd tier keeper, never top class. Nice guy, but never as good as any other keeper we've had in the top flight. Even Brucie G was far far better. Bring back Bruce!

Is this Max calling for a 5th keeper in our 25 man squad? Surely not? Clint Brains said no one has done that. He couldn't be wrong again could he?

What say you Clint?

(Sits back and awaits more drivel........)

You do not know Kelvin and have no way of knowing exactly what went in reference to the proposed WHU move. You tried to pass some things off as fact with a quote that in no way backed up your assertion. Quell surprise! Oh, and as it happens, I do know a bit more as a relative of mine is a close friend of Kelvin and his family. However, I will never betray their trust by passing on anything I hear to the likes of you. The decision for me was between the opportunity of first-team football at Southampton or the chance to play Premier League football

is this good enough?

West Ham boss Gianfranco Zola wanted Davis as understudy to England international Robert Green, but he has instead opted for first-team football at St Mary's, despite the Saints starting next season with a 10-point penalty.

"The decision for me was between the opportunity of first-team football at Southampton or the chance to play Premier League football," said Davis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8139903.stm

Davis' low kick gave the ball to a Premier League midfielder in 10 yards of space, and 95% of them would be able to pick a dangerous pass with that time and space. That meant the team was still caught in transition when Drinkwater passed to Dyer. The moments when Saints didn't know who was closing Dyer, which came from the unexpectedly poor kick, gave him the time to pick a through ball to Vardy. The defence was further up the pitch than they would have been in open play because it was a set piece (our goal kick), and with Yoshida dropping in too soon and in no position to affect play, Vardy was onside whilst being goalside of Van Dijk, and able to score.

i wasn't there and have only seen a sketchy bit on to, but you fail to mention out 2 midfielders who stood make without making a challenge, when it looked to be in their favour.

the ball was over 50 yards from goal and the midfield and defence failed in their jobs. Kelvin has since day one had a large amount of fans not rate him and stood back in the shadows until they can then come forward and stick a knife in his back.

He came to us with morons from Sunderland forums much like some on ours telling us he was a goon, whatever he did he was never going to get a fair ride here.

i wasn't there and have only seen a sketchy bit on to, but you fail to mention out 2 midfielders who stood make without making a challenge, when it looked to be in their favour.

the ball was over 50 yards from goal and the midfield and defence failed in their jobs. Kelvin has since day one had a large amount of fans not rate him and stood back in the shadows until they can then come forward and stick a knife in his back.

He came to us with morons from Sunderland forums much like some on ours telling us he was a goon, whatever he did he was never going to get a fair ride here.

No offence intended, but you had to be there to see how much he affected our usually calm defence. The kicks were awful, especially in the context that he had struggled with them since minute one (one of Vardy's best chances in the first half came from a kick that only went about 40 yards).

Yes others were also at fault, but he consistently played us into trouble throughout the game, which they probably didnt show on the sketchy bits you saw.

Its not about Davis when he just joined or when he was great in Champ/L1.

Its about him now and 100% he isn't good enough now to do a job as first reserve.

Friedel is busy talking on American television. He would not be available to us. But probably you were joking.

No offence intended, but you had to be there to see how much he affected our usually calm defence. The kicks were awful, especially in the context that he had struggled with them since minute one (one of Vardy's best chances in the first half came from a kick that only went about 40 yards).

Yes others were also at fault, but he consistently played us into trouble throughout the game, which they probably didnt show on the sketchy bits you saw.

Its not about Davis when he just joined or when he was great in Champ/L1.

Its about him now and 100% he isn't good enough now to do a job as first reserve.

No doubt you are correct. No doubt the fans attitude transmits to the players. I agree it is wrong that we have such a poor selection of keepers to choose from, but to blame KD for the 2nd goal on saturday when the ball was in the opponents half and it still was passed twice before it got to the forward is pretty harsh. The keepers lot is a tough one, and KD has had a tough time considering he has been an fantastic servant to the club.

Perhaps im too loyal to a player who stayed and helped us get to where we are, many a time i remember him being the motm in the those bad years and so now feel he deserves a bit of slack. he never really got a chance to perform in the PL in his prime and so has been judged when behiond some rubbish defences when he did. One season with a terrible Sunderland side and then a couple of games when Yoshida and Fox were a major part of the back 4

No doubt you are correct. No doubt the fans attitude transmits to the players. I agree it is wrong that we have such a poor selection of keepers to choose from, but to blame KD for the 2nd goal on saturday when the ball was in the opponents half and it still was passed twice before it got to the forward is pretty harsh. The keepers lot is a tough one, and KD has had a tough time considering he has been an fantastic servant to the club.

Perhaps im too loyal to a player who stayed and helped us get to where we are, many a time i remember him being the motm in the those bad years and so now feel he deserves a bit of slack. he never really got a chance to perform in the PL in his prime and so has been judged when behiond some rubbish defences when he did. One season with a terrible Sunderland side and then a couple of games when Yoshida and Fox were a major part of the back 4

1. As I remember it the ball got nowhere near their half.

2. I think you are. That was then and this is now.

... but to blame KD for the 2nd goal on saturday when the ball was in the opponents half and it still was passed twice before it got to the forward is pretty harsh.

Tell that to Ronald then. He is usually not one to blame individuals but directly blamed Kelv's kick for the 2nd goal during [at least] one of his post match interviews. We have to stop this idea of not blaming someone because he has been a loyal servant for many years, sentimental crap that has no place in the modern football business. The kick was not his only mistake during the game, but it was the one that ultimately cost us in terms of goals and points.

If the kick was better we probably win the game.

I absolutely mentioned the two midfielders who stood without making a challenge - I used the phrase "the moments Saints didn't know who was closing Dyer which came from the unexpectedly poor kick". The point is entirely that the crapness of the kick impacted on the ability of the team to defend because 1) it was unexpected 2) it was a gift to the opposition 3) they were in position and prepared for something else and 4) it takes time to re-evaluate positions and close the ball down which we didn't have.

The stuff about people jumping in to have a go is irrelevant, because after his shaky start we spent years with him being good enough (Championship and L1) but that was at a level we are no longer playing at.

Criticism of his ability to be good enough is based not just on "people waiting to have a go" of which I'm sure there are some, but also "people who can see he isn't good enough", which obviously also includes whoever at the club signed Boruc, Forster and Stekelenburg to replace him.

Tell that to Ronald then. He is usually not one to blame individuals but directly blamed Kelv's kick for the 2nd goal during [at least] one of his post match interviews. We have to stop this idea of not blaming someone because he has been a loyal servant for many years, sentimental crap that has no place in the modern football business. The kick was not his only mistake during the game, but it was the one that ultimately cost us in terms of goals and points.

He also said that the players should have known Kelvin doesn't kick the ball as far as Stekelenburg and been prepared.

I don't think anyone is disputing that Kelvin made a mistake that led in the end to a goal. It is also clear that the club rightly or wrongly have faith that Gaza will come good in the end(by giving him another contract). It would be a huge gamble therefore to bring in another keeper, and some decent names have been mentioned,who might be expected to come in cold after months of not playing and be put under the same kind of pressure that Leicester put Kelvin and the rest of the team under and not make a mistake that could lead to a goal.No keeper in the world can guarantee that. If that happens you've done your money. Don't forget if the team had played well we would have won anyway, and if the team are playing well then Kelvin or Gaza are adaquate.

All the replies to my posts are fair, but the points do not take into account that the ball was 50yards from goal. It was hardly like Yoshidas back pass that immediately left the player one on one, but we had at least 6 outfield players behind the ball at that stage. There was more than one player responsible, reading the match thread it seemed that we were lucky not to concede much sooner.

Anyway it's gone now and if we don't finish in the top 4by 2 points I will point at Kelvins terrible kick that went 50+yards for that

Surprised that Kelvin can't kick the modern ball, it's like a balloon.

He must have had defenders taking goal kicks for him in the days of the glorious Mitre Multiplex.

I could kick further than he does now, with an old ball when I was 14.

perhaps HE could ....with the old ball, too ....when HE was 14 ?

back to Gazzaniga again.

watched the U21 game v. Everton ....on YouTube. lost 0-2 with Gazzaniga in goal. I know it's quick and easy to blame the keeper when a team loses, but nevertheless he had the "usual U21 defenders" in front of him, and a very capable Reed and Gape in midfield. It was difficult against a very good Everton outfit.

With three strikers on the injured list it was hard work for Seager as a lone man up top, although we might even have shaded it, with the chances we had - but for the excellent Everton keeper who made some class blocks / fingertip saves. Ryan Seager came off early (suspect he'll be in the line-up for the Villa Cup match) and the subs. Johnson and Olomola (both U18 players) looked quite useful - even at this advanced level.

However, it goes down as a defeat... and another two goals that Gazzaniga has conceded. I know some people still look for him to develop, and the club have extended his contract, but I don't see 3 years of improvement in him since 2012. YES - he needs a loan-out and some regular game time at another level.

It takes time for young keepers to mature, but I'm really not sure if Gazza will turn out to be another Bart ...or a Tommy Forecast.

Edited by david in sweden

back to Gazzaniga again.

watched the U21 game v. Everton ....on YouTube. lost 0-2 with Gazzaniga in goal. I know it's quick and easy to blame the keeper when a team loses, but nevertheless he had the "usual U21 defenders" in front of him, and a very capable Reed and Gape in midfield. It was difficult against a very good Everton outfit.

With three strikers on the injured list it was hard work for Seager as a lone man up top, although we might even have shaded it, with the chances we had - but for the excellent Everton keeper who made some class blocks / fingertip saves. Ryan Seager came off early (suspect he'll be in the line-up for the Villa Cup match) and the subs. Johnson and Olomola (both U18 players) looked quite useful - even at this advanced level.

However, it goes down as a defeat... and another two goals that Gazzaniga has conceded. I know some people still look for him to develop, and the club have extended his contract, but I don't see 3 years of improvement in him since 2012. YES - he needs a loan-out and some regular game time at another level.

It takes time for young keepers to mature, but I'm really not sure if Gazza will turn out to be another Bart ...or a Tommy Forecast.

Yeah, I watched it too, the second half. He should have stopped the second goal. He has his plusses, like good distribution, but not ready for the first team yet.

back to Gazzaniga again.

Actually he didn't. McCarthy (last season's captain and defensive leader) has gone out on loan since the last u21 game.

Actually he didn't. McCarthy (last season's captain and defensive leader) has gone out on loan since the last u21 game.

well spotted Vectis,

I have seen Cook playing in the back four previously, and it was he who made up the numbers last night.

Nevetheless, they did seem a bit below par, and Everton were certainly up for it.

Rather like the first team - so far - you can't always say that playing at home is an advantage.

• 2 weeks later...
Excellent news. Hopefully he transitions back to the pitch well.

Next summer is the key, really hope they do not think Gazza is fine to be no2 to Forster.

I think the problem is that Stek may well not be happy to stay on as a no. 2 and not play often. If we want a decent no. 2 I think RK has to find a way to keep him happy, which probably means letting him start a number of games (cups, and league games against the weaker teams).

I think the problem is that Stek may well not be happy to stay on as a no. 2 and not play often. If we want a decent no. 2 I think RK has to find a way to keep him happy, which probably means letting him start a number of games (cups, and league games against the weaker teams).

That's not the way it works with keepers.