Goalkeeper Situation

Saint Charlie

That is a literal fact ffs :lol:

Of course it is, but also a factor in why he needs replacing.

He isn't good enough to play Europa League or PL football aged 38 and won't get better, and will decline quicker whilst rarely playing.

Fact is, if he wasnt a club legend he wouldnt have been given a 3 year contract after having proven he isnt PL quality. He should have been out of contract this summer.

No we don't. You can't just buy players because one of them has an injury. We don't stop paying Forster just because he's injured. We have MS and Gazzaniga should be no.2 until FF returns

I think we do actually. Kelvin is not up to it, and really neither is Gazza. We most definitely need another keeper. Forster may well be out nearly all season. Relying on KD and Gazza as backup again is just plain daft.

He'd be insured against injuries.

No we don't. You can't just buy players because one of them has an injury. We don't stop paying Forster just because he's injured. We have MS and Gazzaniga should be no.2 until FF returns

If its true that Forster won't feature this season then I'd suggest we do need another Keeper. In a year MS will be gone and we'll be back where we are right now except with a first choice keeper who hasn't played at all for over a year. Kelv and Gazza clearly are not good enough at this level.

I would send Gazza out on loan to give him more experience and to see if he is ever likely to make it and bring in another on a one year contract.

Same. Its not really a position to **** about with.

If Forster is out for the majority of the season then either KD or Gazza is the no2, and neither showed last season that they are good enough to play PL football.

We need to take some blame for Gazziniga's situation: Adkins exposed him to PL footy way too soon, he had only played 20 something pro matches and wasn't ready and then because we gave Davis too long a contract for sentimental reasons we kept Gazza around when he should have had two full seasons out on loan by now.

If Forster is out for the majority of the season then either KD or Gazza is the no2, and neither showed last season that they are good enough to play PL football.

We need to take some blame for Gazziniga's situation: Adkins exposed him to PL footy way too soon, he had only played 20 something pro matches and wasn't ready and then because we gave Davis too long a contract for sentimental reasons we kept Gazza around when he should have had two full seasons out on loan by now.

Also, significantly weakened defence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, significantly weakened defence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clyne has been replaced.

We have added utility back up.

Likes of Target are more experienced.

We have added international keeper.

We didn't add Forster until august and Toby until September.

We have good defensive manager in place.

We are well ahead of this time last year.

Sign the Celtic CB, who I wanted last season over Toby and I will be happy.

I know hes been a great servant but Davis should really be put out to grass, the club captain for sentimental reasons has gone on for a season too along already imo. Current players need an older experienced pro who has done it all to look to. Never quite cutting it at PL level and even then not for a several years doesnt fit the profile, different when we were in Lg1. It seems odd that we have good back up in all positions except the most important.

• 3 months later...
Here we go again. So which top quality goal keepers should we have signed to sit on the bench this season?

Could have done what Leicester did, I suppose, and get in a a 42 year old free agent with a big name?

how come nearly all other premier league clubs have a stronger back up than us?

laughable given the money we have received from players that Kelvin is still an injury away from playing

how come nearly all other premier league clubs have a stronger back up than us?

Davis/Gazzaniga are 3rd/4th choice for Saints. Take the best two keepers out of every other Premier League team and a lot of them would struggle.

The goalkeeping situation is the one area of the team we keep failing in. There is no way Davis should get a game now, he was only championship level in his prime. How bad must Gazzaniga be if Davis is preferred. It really is poor that we don't have better back up keeper, ever since returning to the it's been a bit of a shambles. Whilst we've done okay with our number ones the back up situation has never been addressed properly, with Gazzaniga now in his fourth season and still behind Davis who is probably only league 1 level now it's difficult to see how he has a future here.

davis and gazza are 2/3 for saints

1 Forster

2 Steklenberg

3/4 Davis/Gazza

Forster might be injured at the moment, but he's till very much a saints player.

It would be great if we had another class goalkeeper to choose from, but in reality top goalkeepers are 1 - going to want to play regularly, and 2 - going to want big wages. Not sure who we could have realistically signed to who would have been the right calibre? Especially when there's already gazza and kelvin on the books.

If Steklenberg also picked up a long term injury then I'd expect us to get someone else in.

Really is bizarre that we haven't addresed the no2 keeper issue given that every year the no1 misses some games and every year it costs us points.

We have quite probably the weakest GK backup in the PL and it shows.

I agree charles, our we must be the weakest in the divison when it comes glovesmen. We alway have a decent first choice but at best two league one keepers behind him. Seriously Gazzaniga can't have a future here, fourth season and still behind Davis in the pecking order, that really is poor.

1 Forster

2 Steklenberg

3/4 Davis/Gazza

Forster might be injured at the moment, but he's till very much a saints player.

It would be great if we had another class goalkeeper to choose from, but in reality top goalkeepers are 1 - going to want to play regularly, and 2 - going to want big wages. Not sure who we could have realistically signed to who would have been the right calibre? Especially when there's already gazza and kelvin on the books.

If Steklenberg also picked up a long term injury then I'd expect us to get someone else in.

Stek is first choice this season, Forster is not a choice at all.

Exactly. We only brought him in because of Forster's injury so its:

1. Stekelenburg

2. Davis

3. Gazzaniga

Obviously if Forster returns this season then we will be strong, but once Stek goes in the summer and KD retires or moves on then we need to sign someone who is substantially better than Gazzaniga to be our no2 and end this fiasco once and for all!

Much as I admire SKD for his loyalty over many years , today was a disaster waiting to happen.His distribution and failure to come out of the six yard box lost 2 points. Fortunately Leicester didn't get their first goal earlier, as I think another few minutes and we would have lost. Everyone in the stadium could have predicted the final score once the cover was gone down the middle. Clasie and Yoshida came on with JWP moved out to the wing, bizarre.

KD has been incredibly loyal to Saints, but I really hope today is his last ever game. The second half when Leicester came at us was just embarrassing. His distribution and inability to get distance on his kicks meant that the ball just kept coming back. Gazzaniga would have been better today. He doesn't stop anything but at least he has younger legs and can kick a ball further.

We have to get cover in January. We only have one premier league level keeper, and he currently has a back injury. And is on loan to us. I cant see Forster playing much if at all this season.

Can't honestly blame Kelvin today. We shouldnt HAVE to play him. Game changed when S Davis & Cedric went off. Blame Koeman

We do HAVE to play him though and Koeman doesn't have a great deal of choice when deciding between Davis and Gazzaniga. Both are poor and Davis as much as anyone contributed to a poor performance and ultimately the equaliser.

A number of their chances came from terrible GK distribution both before and after the subs were made. He made the defence nervy from the first minute.

If he has to play again then Van Dijk or Fonte should kick for him.

Can't honestly blame Kelvin today.

Of course we can. He is not good enough, his kicking is a disgrace. He was awful from the first few seconds when he flapped at that cross. He may be a legend, but there comes a time when a player needs to realise that he is past his sell by date. Yes, we shouldn't have had to play him, because we should have better backup (what is the point of Gazza if he is not preferred to Kelvin?).

Of course we can. He is not good enough, his kicking is a disgrace. He was awful from the first few seconds when he flapped at that cross. He may be a legend, but there comes a time when a player needs to realise that he is past his sell by date. Yes, we shouldn't have had to play him, because we should have better backup (what is the point of Gazza if he is not preferred to Kelvin?).

Have to agree with this. He has never been the best at coming off his line but today he seemed positively rooted to it. He put us under pressure today with his dodgy distribution andiIn the first half Van Dijk had a go at him for giving him the ball on the edge of the area when he didn't want it. You have to ask why Gazzaniga didn't play, if the club don't rate him as better than Kelvin then the new contract he has been given is just odd.

davis and gazza are 2/3 for saints

Really is bizarre that we haven't addresed the no2 keeper issue given that every year the no1 misses some games and every year it costs us points.

We have quite probably the weakest GK backup in the PL and it shows.

Why didn't Forster play instead of Davis then?

Palace have 3 decent keepers, we have one, embarrassing.

To all the posters above:

Here is the official 25 man squad (well, 24) of Southampton FC for the 2015/2016 season -

25 Squad players (*=Home grown)

Alves Soares, Cedric Ricardo

*Bertrand, Ryan

*Caulker, Steven Roy

Clasie, Jordy

*Davis, Kelvin Geoffery

*Davis, Steven

Fonte, Jose Miguel

*Forster, Fraser Gerard

Gardos, Florin

Gazzaniga, Paulo Dino

*Isgrove, Lloyd Jeffrey

Jimenez Lopez, Juan Miguel

*Long, Shane Patrick

Mane, Sadio

Martina, Rhu-endly Aurelio Jean-Carlo

Pelle, Graziano

Ramirez Pereyra, Gaston Exequiel

*Rodriguez, Jay Enriqus

Stekelenburg, Maarten

Tadic, Dusan

Van Dijk, Virgil

Vidal, Oriol Romeu

Wanyama, Victor

Yoshida, Maya

How many goalkeepers can you see named above?

Wasn't he initially supposed to out until the new year? If we signed another keeper along withe Stek then we'd have 3 supposedly quality keepers come the new year. We had two good keepers with Boruc & Forster but Boruc didn't want to be second choice.

I don't think it's quite as easy as many make out to just collect so many quality goalkeepers, Arsenal have struggled for years to recruit decent goalkeepers.

If we signed another then I'd have thought we'd have to push kd and or gazza out the door, maybe at least a loan out for gazza and an approach for alex mccarthy would have been good.

To all the posters above:

Here is the official 25 man squad (well, 24) of Southampton FC for the 2015/2016 season -

25 Squad players (*=Home grown)

Alves Soares, Cedric Ricardo

*Bertrand, Ryan

*Caulker, Steven Roy

Clasie, Jordy

*Davis, Kelvin Geoffery

*Davis, Steven

Fonte, Jose Miguel

*Forster, Fraser Gerard

Gardos, Florin

Gazzaniga, Paulo Dino

*Isgrove, Lloyd Jeffrey

Jimenez Lopez, Juan Miguel

*Long, Shane Patrick

Mane, Sadio

Martina, Rhu-endly Aurelio Jean-Carlo

Pelle, Graziano

Ramirez Pereyra, Gaston Exequiel

*Rodriguez, Jay Enriqus

Stekelenburg, Maarten

Tadic, Dusan

Van Dijk, Virgil

Vidal, Oriol Romeu

Wanyama, Victor

Yoshida, Maya

How many goalkeepers can you see named above?

I don't see your point, Forster is a write off on that list, my comment is still valid.

Wasn't he initially supposed to out until the new year? If we signed another keeper along withe Stek then we'd have 3 supposedly quality keepers come the new year. We had two good keepers with Boruc & Forster but Boruc didn't want to be second choice.

I don't think it's quite as easy as many make out to just collect so many quality goalkeepers, Arsenal have struggled for years to recruit decent goalkeepers.

If we signed another then I'd have thought we'd have to push kd and or gazza out the door, maybe at least a loan out for gazza and an approach for alex mccarthy would have been good.

Forster will not play for us this season.